Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

QuasiQuack posted:

New Chapter

Kinda loving all the different dragon designs

That is certainly one element of the fanservice going on this chapter. Can't wait to see if any Dragon Slayers will actually live up to their names. And what will that do to the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sindai posted:

Am I reading this right? Is that dragon named "Scissor Runner"? That's...not very intimidating.
The unfortunate risk the Japanese take with using English words for names. Sometimes, they can just sound really silly.

Poor Gray though. The first one was shocking, but I figured it was survivable through Shounen willpower. Then it kept happening. They warned you about dragons, bro.

Agreed that it won't last the arc, though. That would be a sorry way to go.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ChronoReverse posted:

I already know Mavis, Hades and now Warrod. Who's the fourth one?
I assumed that was a young Makarov.

EDIT: But then, he was the second guildmaster, so probably not.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

international owl day posted:

You're reading way too much into this, Mashima obviously just wants to draw huge titties all day every day.

That's not a terrible way to make a living, really. Is there a lifetime achievement award for most big titties drawn in a career?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wow. Of all of those people, I only remember anything about Cobra, Angel, and Racer. I guess half of the villain group is actually good for Fairy Tail, though. Hell, I think I remember more about them than anyone in Hades' group or anyone they fought in Edolas, barring Pantherlily and Knighwalker. And, of course, Dragon Tank.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 19, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Erigor was the villain from the Lullaby Arc aka the first one right after the introduction. To jog your memory on him.
Aah, I just kind of assumed he was a member of the Seis that I'd forgotten about. I still had to google him to remember who he was and what the Lullaby Arc was, but once I saw him things clicked back into place. I really did like how Natsu finished that fight.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thoren posted:

Fairy Tail 365 is out at the usual places.

This manga has reached a whole new level of fanservice.

It's kind of sad, between your comment and the title of the chapter, I knew exactly what was going to happen. drat, Mashima.

At least the ending was awesome.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

attackbunny posted:

That just doesn't make sense. The council wants Jellal dead. That would be why they tried to execute him. Why make somebody you want to kill into one of the people you really need alive? There is nothing on earth, Earthland or Edolas that can make that make sense.

Not to defend Fairy Tail's plot, but remember that before he was an Outlaw guild wizard or a maniacal would-be mass murderer, Jellal (or at least a double he made or something, I don't remember) was a high ranking member of the Council. That, I imagine, is when he was made one of the three secret keepers.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elfman nooooo~

Neat Borg Cube though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I had to google Doranbolt to find out how much bullshit that chapter ending was. It still is, but I guess Doranbolt actually does have teleportation magic, I had completely forgotten everything about him and his abilities other than his memory control stuff.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus, for being a more-titties-less-story One Piece, Fairy Tail is becoming insanely big. Is it that popular in Japan?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

New Chapter
Next chapter title: Father and Son. Gee, I wonder what that could possibly mean?:v:

Igneel's back. yaaaaaay. :effort:

Also is that really the end of super secret bossman whose name I can't remember? He just gets turned to stone by a vague freeing-Fairy-Tail-from-the-thing attack?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pinegala posted:

Isn't it more revealing than that? I thought it referred to Gray/Silver.
Oh it absolutely will mean exactly that, I was just making a low effort joke at it being something other than the most obvious of incoming reveals, based on powers/Gray's face this chapter.

And Fairy Tail villains are usually beaten anticlimactically, but its usually a big fuckoff explosion attack from a protag, not a side effect of the spell that frees the protags to start their fights. I'm guessing E.N.D. will free him or something, we barely got to see a sample of his rose/thorn-based magic.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Harry posted:

Fairy Tail never particularly enthralling, but man it is nearly impossible to care about any of this.

Christ, this. I really don't care about these two, and Minerva is a level beyond them on the apathy spectrum. Why can't she just be evil? She did some really terrible poo poo. I mean, I think she did, I can't remember any of it because Fairy Tail.

EDIT: A google has told me that Minerva's dad tried to blow up Sting's cat but she teleported it away instead and held it hostage to make him try harder in the games. So... yeah.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 14, 2014

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Good job, Gray. Even if I'm getting a bit annoyed at shounen manga for constantly giving people the ability to make inanimate objects walk, talk, and act like humans somehow with no precedence (that I can remember). But it's shounen manga so I have to accept that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I hope this doesn't cause a horrible derail. Does anyone know if there was a certain point that Fairy Tail became so very fanservicey, or was it just a gradual progression as Mashima's art changed and improved? I went back to the early chapters and much like early Nami in One Piece, the girls were pretty noodley and not nearly the bombshells they are in the current chapters. There was still fanservice though, so I guess it's just an art progression thing. It doesn't really matter though I guess, it's Fairy Tail, it's all just tits and explosions.

Going back through old chapters did remind me how very little I remember about anything that happened in past arcs. I scrolled through manga sites looking for a chapter with early Juvia in it and found this one. I really have no idea who the Gene Simmons character in it is or why he is making Juvia evil, and man has Juvia changed over time.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I do love how Natsu and Gajeel ate another Dragon slayer's magic once and now they can summon it at will for cool effects.

Also, regarding the chapter: It sure is cute having Levy and Gajeel hooking up, but is anyone else consistently weirded out by it considering that he once beat the hell out of her and her friends and nailed them to a tree? It seems like that should be a deal breaker.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

khy posted:

Also where the hell did Kinana come from? The wiki says she's Cubelios from Oracion Seis but... how? When? What??

Apparently there was a filler arc in the anime where Oracion Seis escaped and she turned human and now it's canon for some reason.

Didn't the Oracion Seis come back recently in the manga too? And then Gerard died or something? Anything ever come of that?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey he broke his own theme naming He has had 3 series.(One a one shot) each with a protagonist named after a Season. He still needs a protagonist named Fuyu.

Which one shot had Aki in it, out of curiosity?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Monster Soul.

Huh. This is the first I've ever heard of that. Welp, Mashima's stuff is always fun at the least so I'll check it out. Thanks!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

:siren::siren::siren:The cover page features a fully clothed Erza.:siren::siren::siren:

I suppose Mashima is dying.

There's an ad for another Fairy Tail magazine above it featuring her properly half naked. I'm sure Mashima was informed of this beforehand, or else it would never have made it to print.

I liked the part where Kyouka's rear end realized what Mard Geer was asking it to do.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Goddamn Mavis. So if she isn't really 100% dead, what is she doing? Astral Projecting? Can she do this all the time? Why hasn't she been doing this from day 1? She may be stuck naked in a crystal forever but it seems like she just kind of gets to ignore most of the negative effects of being mostly dead. She just hangs out and goes wherever she wants. I don't necessarily hate her character, but she is an annoying ball of convenience.

Natsu rules though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Acnologia seems pretty lonely, just grandstanding and talking to himself out on that mountain.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What the gently caress.

That was amusing but those two series' are like opposite ends of the spectrum tonally. Who the gently caress decided to put them together? I guess it was just "popular thing + popular thing = money" but still, drat, that's surreal. Is "Neo Parasyte" really going to be a thing?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That'll be an interesting one to animate.

Also, good thing Fairy Tail figured out that despite the Twelve's power, they have the same weakness as the rest of FT's villains: yell and then hit them harder.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

At any given time I can remember maybe half of the last villain group FT fought and maybe 1-2 tops from ones older than that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TriffTshngo posted:

I mostly only remember the parts of Fairy Tail that I was watching the anime for, once it went on hiatus and I switched to the manga the villains suddenly got really forgettable.

With regards to One Piece, I'm kind of the same way, but it's stayed memorable. I watched the anime all the up through Marineford before I couldn't take the pacing anymore, so I can remember almost every single side character and minor villain. But I still remember everyone from the arcs afterward too, even minor villains in One Piece have personality while most FT characters I can only remember if they have especially neat magic, like Racer or... the guy with the hat.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 20, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

kohon posted:

I'm assuming "the guy with the hat" is Rufus and not Reedus. I actually have a mini Gray keychain, but the only reason I bought it was because it has him wearing the hat.

Related to the most recent chapter, I'm really glad Mashima brought in Cana. We need more Cana.

I didn't know Reedus had a name before this point, but yeah I totally meant Rufus. You were right to buy that keychain though, that hat was top tier and it is a crime that Gray did not permanently add it to his wardrobe.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Good chapter, I appreciated the build up over the last few

I don't know any of the bad guy names

I read "Ajeel" and was ready to get pissed over Gajeel jobbing so early. Thankfully what actually happened was pretty cool.

Although, "My friend's there! Shoot it!" may not have been a 100% reliable strat.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Avulsion posted:

Didn't Gajeel nail Levy to a tree? How does crucifixion rate?

Gajeel and Levy are adorable together now but that continues to bother me. One doesn't simply get over being crucified.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

Well, there is at least 1 precedent.

I forget did Gajeel full on nail them to the tree or did he just nail wrist bindings to the tree?

First off, nice one. Secondly, yeah you're right it was just wrist bindings, but he did beat the living poo poo out of all 3 of them before sticking them up there. So while not quite full-on crucifixion, still pretty messed up.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It's difficult to do a shonen manga without constant threat escalation and power creep, but if he could dial it back a bit I wouldn't mind seeing stories of other guilds and general magic fights and hi-jinx.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly if bullshit magical cancer has to get cured, tricking a guy into curing it is a pretty good way to go about it.

Yeah, it's a total asspull but it was better than shrinking it and it made me happy. Laxus rules.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

three two one time for rave-o-lution

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DeadBonesBrook posted:

and she kept her clothes on... even though losing the star dress was an opportunity for more fanservice.

Is Mashima feeling all right?

He didn't pass up the opportunity, she was naked, if glowing, for a panel during the "dress cancel" bit. It's kind of like how Erza is always naked for a panel or two when she swaps gear nowadays.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

That's an awful lot of boner jokes.

Yep. Considering he's drawn nearly 500 chapters of Fairy Tail with minimal, if not zero, boner jokes, I guess the dam finally broke. Boners for everyone.

Also, regarding 490: I guess "universe reset" was a bit too ambitious to expect from Mashima. poo poo's just moved around and shrunk a bit. But aw yeah, Gajeel back in record time*.

*Close to record time- It was equally likely that he'd come back at the end of the very same chapter.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus

Gajeel's confession PTSD is top tier.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

They'd have to get one for Bleach One Piece and Rave Master first.

The main issue is One Piece :v:

I think One Piece at least is taken care of three times over.

Fairy Tail would definitely be hella well suited to the genre though. Maybe after they finish the new Berserk one.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gray and Natsu coming to their senses via the power of friendship in panels where their faces are each half obscured by one of Erza's breasts is just purest Fairy Tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

so is Mashima suggesting Belserion is Erza's dad or something cuz if so yikes.

Mother of Dragonslayers is a better nickname than Dragon Fucker at least

• Locked thread