Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think sting has my vote for the most nonsensical outfit in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm a bit surprised that rogue managed to give natsu such a one sided beatdown.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gyges posted:

Isn't he from like 7 years in the future? That would put Natsu in essentially the same place power relationshipwise to before Ultear used her time magic to super train him.

You're right on that point, but natsu seemed to be getting in a couple of decent hits last chapter, and then rogue just powered up and kicked his rear end. It makes sense why it happened, still a little suprising to me though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

not a terrible chapter but it's pretty drat convenient that lucy managed to end up in the exact same spot where future lucy left her journal

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

it was pretty goddamn convienent that everyone who died fighting the dragons just happened to die/get seriously injured in the span that one minute.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 14, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

happy shows how much he sucks yet again.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Any chapter that has gajeel rocking that white suit is a good chapter :colbert:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah minerva has been shown to be underhanded scumbag and will do anything to win a fight. What she did in this chapter is perfectly in line with her character. I sort of like that in a villain, makes them seem smarter.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

wow lucy performed competently and didn't get her rear end kicked, haven't seen that in forever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's not a terrible way to make a living, really. Is there a lifetime achievement award for most big titties drawn in a career?

I think the guy who does History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi wins that one.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I did sort of like the self-awareness of "hey we've seen you naked a bunch of times, it's not really that big a deal anymore." I'm surprised more fanservice shows haven't used that line before.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I do like how Tartaros is actually being shown to be a credible threat, instead of being comprised by a bunch of mooks that just get steamrolled easily.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

DeadBonesBrook posted:

New Fairy Tail Side Story - http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/Side%20Story/2299/1

SPOILERS!!! Juvia pleasures herself with a toy of Gray, I wish to god I was making this up

I really think the poor girl needs therapy at this point. :(

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought both scenes with the pool table were pretty good, so not a bad side story chapter.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm just glad that Carla actually used her ability to see the future in a useful way, rather then seeing a vision and not telling anyone about it. Also seeing Wendy be a legitimate bad rear end was cool.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gyges posted:

I would be 110% ok with never seeing Aquarius again. Lucy is bad enough without summoning characters that bitch at her for things that aren't bad about her.

Yeah I'm not sad to see her go. I guess lucy forgot the time that Aquarius bailed on her when she fought Mineva in the tournament. Which lead to Lucy getting horribly beaten. But they're fond of one another, somehow!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'll give credit to fairy tail for keeping a good pace, unlike say, naruto, which almost nothing has happened for over a year.

Although this whole thing with minerva got resolved much faster than I thought it would.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well one thing we saw coming mile away and a pretty good twist that I did not see coming and actually sort of makes me care about the fight.

Also, really surprised that FT is this popular. it's a fun dumb manga, but didnt' think it get a spinoff.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 27, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ha ha, nice. So that perfectly valid reason for Silver/not-actually-Deliora to have learned anti-ice mage magic? That's gone. There is no real reason why he learned ice magic. It was just a dumb coincidence. Oh Mashima, you so lazy.

On the other hand it also resolved a former plot hole of why silver was being nice to some other people.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Isn't it kind of a very, very slow burn especially for Fairy Tail? He has saved her life and protected her a bunch in the past as well, I think?

I mean I don't disagree, especially creepy given he branded her after the battle, but I was kinda more taken back by the fact I thought Levy's power was converting words into reality? She can't make an air bubble? I can barely remember anything in Fairy Tail, mind you.

I think she's just holding her breath and giving air to Gajeel.

Despite how messed up the relationship can be when you think about it, I'd be lying if if said I didn't find the romance cute. I'll give mashima some credit, for a shounen writer, he's not terrible at romance.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kinda wish we have more flashbacks with poppa igneel being a good dad to natsu. :3:.

I have to say that all-in-all this arc's been pretty good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chapters up
http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/407/2590/1

please let gray not job out on this one.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Except for Simon, Rob, Ur, Doldoria, Zancrow, Zoldeo, Azuma, Ultear, Hades, Lahar, Gran Doma, Elg, the rest of the magic council, Crawford, Future Lucy, Ezel, Maybe Tempesta and Jackel, Kyouka, Keyes, Silver and as of this chapter Mard Geer and Igneel.

ultear is technically alive, though extremely old.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well END's identity is no big surprise but all in all I thought the Tartarus arc was pretty drat good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Thoren posted:

Goddamn it did he really plot device Wendy's hair back.

Not even hair can die in this drat manga.

hey igneel died last chapter, along with other dragons that's.... something?

NowonSA posted:

Ha, yeah I laughed at that. She's better with long hair, but yeah he totally ignored the traditional "girl in a shounen manga dramatically cuts her hair to show growth" trope. END's identity is no surprise to me, I had assumed as much. It'll be interesting to see a proper "everyone goes off and trains" arc, since there really hasn't been much training at all, just random power-ups from Natsu eating one thing or another.

Actually I hope they just do a timeskip. One thing I like about this series is that there's no goddamn training arcs.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

huh on the one hand it's not surprising at all That Juvia's sad because gray's gone. On the other hand, I did not expect Gray to turn evil (though he's likely faking it or something)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Also prolonged beatdowns is just a small scuffle between guilds and its no problem.

yeah going out of your way to torture someone needlessly, no harm no foul.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Huh it seems like pantherliy can stay in his hulked out form full time.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

eh I'm fine with power creeps as long as all the characters stay relevant.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

new chapter:http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/439/2808/1

So was this ridiculously powerful country ever mentioned before? Because I don't remember it and you'd think it come up. It's a pretty neat idea that that FACE was built to stop invasions from another country. It makes more sense that way. They were sort of operating on the mutually assured destruction idea.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I liked how Most of the group intervened at the end not just Natsu. Everyone expected natsu to blow their cover, so this was a nice little change of pace.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

you know, if zeref wanted to kill himself, he should have just gone the next country over, since these guys seem way more powerful than the demons he conjured up.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

jiffypop45 posted:

I'm having difficulty placing the Sabertooth series in the timeline with Sting as GM and Minerva present (or did something happen after Tartarus and she went back to the guild that I have forgotten).

Minerva became good and boring due to the power of friendship/family whatever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rodyle posted:

I will say many things about Hiro Mashima but he absolutely doesn't deserve any comparisons to Kubo.

yeah when it comes to pacing Mashima needs to learn to slow down a little. Still it's a way better then having having bleach's pacing issues.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Carlton Minter posted:

I have been wondering how is Makarov one of the ten wizard saints when all he does is grow his body parts? In my opinion that's not 10 wizard saints material.

well he could do fairy law, that's got to count for something.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

That is one hell of an equivalent exchange.

Magic: "Hey! You're ageless! But in exchange..."
Cursed Fool: "I didn't even wan--"
Magic: "In exchange, everything around you will die if you love life!"
Cursed Fool: :sigh:

Niiice. :golfclap:

The exchange is more like a person being allowed to save everyone they love and destroys their enemies, but he's then cursed to wander around causing death for an eternity. so in that way, it works.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

yeah glad he didn't just get beaten by the "well I'll hit him harder" thing. Also Ajeel only getting taken out due to being hit with that big rear end cannon thing helps establish that these guys still aren't chumps.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well at least mashima's willing to throw in some man service, so he can be equal opportunity.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Good chapter. I guess that explains why Natsu and Gajeel couldn't pass through Freed's barrier back in the day given that the condition was no one over 80 years old can pass through"

Mashima's obviously been planning that reveal for a while. Bit heavy on the exposition dump, but useful information nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

I still believe that one day Lucy will get to do something for more than half of a chapter.
to be fair, she did some pretty cool stuff in the tartaros arc.

• Locked thread