Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, except for the sense part.

It's not completely non-sensical.

E.N.D. is someone Igneel couldn't kill, or perhaps, could not bring himself to kill.
Natsu is over 80 years old or something.
Zeref was waiting for Natsu to kill him on Tenroujima. The same Natsu who was still wishing he could beat Erza (Not to disparage Erza mind you.)
And E.N.D. is the strongest demon Zeref created.
Silver mistook Atlas Flame for a demon and went kinda overkill to freeze him.
Silver recognized Natsu's name at least and threw him in jail instead of killing him.
Only E.N.D. or Natsu are allowed to meet him. Perhaps because the two are mutually exclusive.

It's not without flaws but it's not the most outlandish theory I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

This is a world where Jellal convinced everyone that he was totally not Jellal but another magic dude who just happened to look exactly like Jellal. Also at the same time there was another Jellal running around also claiming not to be Jellal, though at least he was honest since he was just alternate dimension Jellal.

Except he really didn't have to convince anyone except Erza that he wasn't Jellal because no one even knew who Jellal was or why they should care if he is or isn't some guy named Jellal.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

My guess is that soul absorber guy took the tree guy's soul

Oh, the former guild.. guy? When would he have had a chance to do that? :confused:

He also took souls from Natsu in their previous fight, didn't he? Maybe he is now DARKBAD Natsu.

Lucy looked so aghast I'd almost think he had her sister's (No she doesn't have a sister that I know of I'm just saying) or mother's soul or something.
Hey wait.. we don't know how Lucy's mom died, do we? :ohdear: *edit* oh wait Happy said "his," so much for that theory! :downs:

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Could still go either way with"You're Silver's..."

I don't want this to be the case, but "human form" or along those lines seems more likely if only because I doubt Silver keeps a My Dead Family Album around such that the others would immediately recognize him at first sight. Maybe I'll get lucky and Mashima just didn't think that through!

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Cana's 'arc' just revealed that she is largely incompetent and kind of dumb even when given an enormous power boost.

To be fair, this was against an opponent that defeated Natsu et al by standing in his vicinity.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

It isn't like that just happened. Mashima had Cana get a big powerup and supposedly learn from her mistakes (she really, really didn't) and then pop in to save the day. Only she did not save the day. She got her rear end kicked and accomplished nothing.

Did you also get upset when Charlie Brown failed to win the spelling bee? Do you run a Cobra Kai dojo? :v: ("You're nothing! You lost! You're a loser!")

But seriously, I think you missed the point on that one. Cana's arc was finally letting go of her anxiety about failing to meet her imagined impossible expectations of being Gildart's daughter. It would have been awful if Cana resolved that by being handed an ability that let her KO someone out of her weight class just so that she could feel she was suddenly a worthwhile enough human being to deserve a father.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

pinegala posted:

I don't get why they didn't just buy back the memento if it's only worth a day's work but really even thinking that much about Fairy Tail is a mistake.

Eh, Lucy and Natsu have a more diverse skillset to work with (Especially Lucy.) By contrast I think Alzack and Bisca are only good at shooting things.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

I was more worried the chapter would have more fanservice, since it was in a seinen mag. And from what I've heard, it was supposed to be a flashback of how Bisca joined the guild too. I don't know, Mashima doesn't focus enough on the lesser cast for me to get that right away.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was just thinking when reading the side chapter with Asuka that the Bisca in the flashback reminded me of "Rouge." And I think Bisca was also an immigrant or something.
Where was it explicitly said it was supposed to be about Bisca though? I don't doubt that it's her, but it sounds like I didn't read Something.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Something I've wondered, if Fairy Tail is so popular, how come it's only had the one movie? Don't long running popular Shounen anime usually get 15 different movies? Did it only recently become popular?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I had to go back and check to figure out who the person on the bottom middle panel of page 22 was. Turns out I completely missed the detail that Kyouka's helmet was breaking apart. :downs:

I wonder if Silver and Keith [Skeleton Guy]'s total lack of concern about what happens to Grey means Silver isn't Future Grey. That would be nice.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Chapter 383:

Lucy actually seems to be doing pretty well by herself! How many Chapters do you give her until she finds a way to get everyone out of Alegria so they can finish her fights for her? :v:

I wish she were fighting Minerva. Forget a rematch with Erza, Lucy needs to whip her in the faaaace

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I hope Lamy wasn't vaporized, she's fun. :ohdear:

chumbler posted:

Not in the sense of getting wrecked by him, but yeah he's going to job out so Natsu can win.

I dunno, this arc's main main-bad has yet to show up assuming E.N.D. is a unique individual we haven't seen. Natsu doesn't have to beat the #2 guy also. And I don't think this is an instance where someone else will deal with E.N.D., given his apparent connection to Zeref and Natsu.

I don't deny that he might end up jobbing though. Unless not showing the #2 guy until recently was supposed to diminish his importance in this arc. Since he hasn't been built up for that long, it would be less disappointing for him to go down against his first opponent. And if the Spirit King loses already, where does she go from here in terms of power upgrades? She already can't use this all the time unless it takes like a half hour to reforge those golden keys. Lucy running out of juice as you said seems like a convenient way around that for now.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So Lucy managed to wreck up the baddies fortress, defeat in one attack someone Natsu struggled with earlier, and at least temporarily disabled the #2 guy. Not bad! Seems like just yesterday she was getting nope.avi'd to lose even fights she seemed capable of winning.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

New Chapter
Next chapter title: Father and Son. Gee, I wonder what that could possibly mean?:v:

Normally I'd be mad about that but with this manga I'm just :allears:

So the son of a demon with ice powers got picked up by an ice mage completely by coincidence. It'd make more sense if Silver was Ur's husband, meaning that he is technically Gray's adoptive father. But well, that's fairy tail for you.

It is rather convenient, but at least there's some connection between the two if you consider that Gray's village was destroyed by a demon of Zeref. I wonder how that got there!
Plus he lived up north around snowy parts IIRC, so there's that too. It stands to reason both an Ice Demon Guy and an Ice-Make Mage would prefer that climate.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

My only question is where is this going? Is there any end game in sight or is this story just trying to keep going until it gets cancelled? I like the show but no matter how good an anime is I'll probably tune out after 100 episodes of dragging rear end with out any progress.

It takes a really long while but eventually a clearer picture of the main plot emerges.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Chapter 389:

NEXT WEEK: The answer to the question everybody already figured out. :allears:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I think there's still more to this. When we first saw him he was visiting a grave. I doubt the demon Deliora gives two shits about any dead humans given how many of them he's killed. Nor would he have any reason to be glad "Natsu" unfroze the giant town. Or give Lisanna some clothing.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I.. guess you could say "Keith/Skull Man made him do it" to answer some of the questionable actions Silver did but that still leaves the "Filthy/disgusting name" line in reference to Gray as making little sense (Unless someone wants to dig up the raw to see if multiple translators got it wrong!)
Oh wait, he had enough free will to do other stuff like slaying demons or freezing villages on his own. I guess Mashima just wrote himself into a corner. :shrug:

*EDIT*

Oh and what about these:

-Silver being familiar with Natsu
I guess he could have seen him on the Lacrima TV if that's how he found out about Grey, but I dunno, since he called him by name he sounded more familiar with him than he should have been, as opposed to "Oh it's one of Grey's guildmates."
-Silver being in his "human" form
Early on someone commented on him being in human form (That it was UNUSUAL even.) Well that suggests he has a non-human form, doesn't it? But if he's not really Deliora then he doesn't really? Oops?

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 18, 2014

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

So it's pretty much outright implied that the other girl is dead and only Mavis can see her, yeah?

I'm not sure what's up with that. That was my initial reaction too, especially considering I was surprised to see her alive in the first place after what happened in Chapter 1. But if she were a ghost it'd be weird that she'd age, and Yuriy does seem to be talking to her after his initial surprise.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Just a silhouette.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Fairy Tail Zero Chapter 5:

So is Zeira confirmed alive now, or is she just a really, really, complicated illusion that Mavis doesn't even realize she's projecting? I still don't think she's been directly acknowledged by anyone and that scene with Yuriy when Mavis introduced her still feels fishy. I think one of the guys said "couple of brats" in the last chapter but he could have been humoring her I guess?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

pinegala posted:

After all this dragon-wanking is over I hope Mavis weaponry and non dragon slayers will still show up

Also, the inevitable Natsu vs. Gray fight set-up :rolleyes:

Don't you mean END Vs. Gray? :ohdear:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Rodyle posted:

That was sort of inevitable but it kind of seemed like Acnologia just... suddenly got the upper hand even though he'd been getting swatted around that whole time. Also drat it you can't just wander off without showing what END is. I guess we've got the other dragons to maybe explain why it's important to just take END and not destroy it though.

Eh, I think that was more Igneel getting increasingly desperate/reckless than actually coming close to defeating him. It got some results but this is the price for them. You could tell early on he was outmatched when his "let's nuke the page" attacks had no effect.

Agree about END though. I guess having him come out and having another fight without developing his character at all would be awkward and it's pretty late into the arc.

Nilbop posted:

Zeref is one of the blandest villains I've ever seen. Everything about him is boring; design, mannerisms, the nonsense foreshadowing-talk he spews, he's just *awful.*

Right? Am I crazy?

I was secretly agreeing with you in the Bleach thread before but I must unsecretly disagree with you here. :( I like the reverse-Voldemort thing he's got going on.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

Nope, the dragons have been dead for years if not centuries and it was only their ghosts that were living inside the Dragon Slayers. So Igneel died before the comic even started, perhaps you could go so far as to count the dragons disappearing as their death, which makes it a flashback death and not covered by the no deaths rule.

How did ghosts the raise the Dragon Slayers? I got the impression that was not a two week or even two month summer camp, but that they actually raised them as surrogate parents for years.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

cyrus_zane posted:

Now I'm really pumped to see what all happens next with everyone.

A girls' bath fanservice omake, of course. :allears:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Myurton posted:

Actually glad they didn't do some silly fanservice omake.

No, that wasn't a joke, they really did that. It's in between 416 and 417 on readms.

As for the latest chapter,

Normally I don't care about this sort of thing but I like Lucy's latest hair redesign (Naturally she will probably change it twice before the arc finishes.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Man with all of these posts I wondered what on Earth had happened in the middle of the week. Was a new chapter of Zero out? The poo poo was about to hit the fan. Oh man, something amazing must have happene-

Oh, there's two chapters + 2 extras of Ice Trail out today.

*Ice Trail 7 + 8 Spoilers*
Oh it turns out Gray and Juvia had an almost-meeting as kids. :allears:
Oh it turns out Gray and Lucy also had an almost-meeting as kids. :allears:

..but then it turns out no one was even talking about that. It was all just a coincidence. :geno:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well you learn of some dickish things that Brain did later on with Ultear, but yeah he is not particularly interesting.

I think that was only in the anime, so whether it's canon is questionable.

That said I wholly approve of the anime's decision to sneak back in the original decision to make Faust the Edolas Makarov. I still don't get why Mashima's editor wouldn't let him do that.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Chapter 426

So one of the Avatar members is a secret traitor, but it's totally not Gray because he's way too eeeeviiiiil.

And so much for Ultear dying at the end of the Grand Magic Games arc. I guess she's still an old woman?

I hope Juvia recovers before this arc ends, it'd be a waste if she sat out the whole time.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Anyone here watch the anime? They recently finished with filler and started the Sun Village arc. Immediately after the last filler episode, I'd swear everything starting with the preview for the next episode(s) suddenly had a different look to it. Everything looks faded or washed out or something.

Chapters 427 & 428
Well that escalated quickly (And de-escalated just as quickly.) For a minute there I thought Mashima was having a "Let's go ride bikes" moment where he'd already gotten bored of the latest rogue's gallery and was ready to wrap things up.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Hmm..

I'm not convinced Gray is on the up and up just yet. That is, I'd rather believe there's more to things than "He was a spy" instead of "Mashima already forgot that Gray was going to kill Frosch." At the very least I expect some voodoo to force him to throw icicles at people. Possibly Gajeel; after all, they already went to the trouble of making him think he'd have to fight Gray. Bonus points if Erza is also a double secret traitor with Gray. :v:

If this were a different series I'd be concerned for Happy instead, but there's approximately a 0% chance of anything bad happening to him (That won't be taken back later.) This ain't Harry Potter. It's just as well, the whole "death of innocence" thing doesn't really belong here and is its own tired cliche anyway.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I wonder why Gray was going to kill Frosch. I don't think Mashima is enough of a hack to forget about something like that completely, but he's definitely enough of a hack to hand-wave it away instead of going anywhere with it.

:sigh:

I love this manga but that was pretty disappointing.

At least we got Juvia and Erza's faces on that last page of 435.

So how old was Natsu as END when he created Tartarus? Did becoming END turn him into an adult, and when he was defeated by Igneel he turned back into a kid? I don't understan-

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

chumbler posted:

Yeah, everything's been leaning hard toward Lucy being the heart of the guild now, and her becoming the new guild master would be a nice thing.

So we should all prepare to welcome new guild master Natsu, because this is the Natsu show about Natsu, where Natsu is the most important character who solves everything. Yes I'm a bit salty.

To be fair, even Lucy was unable and/or unwilling to try restoring Fairy Tail on her own. The only reason Fairy Tail is getting back together is because Natsu came back and got the ball rolling.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I wonder if we'll see Ivan again in this arc.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Hmm

So the four kings are Plant Man, Wolf Man, Vampire Man, and..?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Chapter 442

Oh no, they blew up Walt's shop. :(

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Also it's really obvious she's Yukino's long-lost older sister that was kidnapped by the Zeref cultists as slave labor to build their corporate headquarters on an offshore island for tax purposes (inb4 "Who is Yukino again?")

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
They just spent the last year training (Well, Natsu did) so my guess is it's time for another random powerup like Second Origin.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I was disappointed that Mashima apparently forgot Mirajane was supposed to have been a hellraiser when she was younger for that flashback in the Tartaros arc.

You might argue she only became like that after the flashback, but it seems more likely that Mashima just forgot.

Carlton Minter posted:

I would actually love to see how Mirajane fights at full strength or when she goes all out on someone. I would also love if we could see Mirajane on an S Class quest. In my opinion Miriajane is on another level than Erza with her Demon/Satan Souls and all.

Wasn't one of those Fairy Tail spinoff manga supposed to be about Erza and Mirajane?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

kohon posted:

I don't think he forgot. I think Mira didn't become the fierce demon until after she established herself in Fairy Tail. I could be forgetting something, but that's the impression that I got.

Okay, fair enough, I was mistaken then.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
The latest episode of Fairy Tail has a filler (Or is it padding?) plot that reveals (Assuming this is canon) what happened to Rusty Rose of Grimoire Heart after the Tenroujima arc. A burning question that has no doubt been on everyone's mind. :v:

I almost got mad because in the preview it looked like they brought back Zancrow (Who died) and Azuma (Who also died.) And then on top of that it ended up not being a flashback to before the Tenroujima arc. But then I remembered his magic power and sure enough...

Nahxela posted:

Yeah, it was something like that. I think he was dead and then one of the Oracion Seis revived him without his memories?

Also, that doppelganger in the Magic Council was just a magical clone he made of himself, and who he later killed while en route to activating Etherion.

It was Wendy who revived him (She knew Mystogan and thought that was him, so part of his 'amnesia' was due to being the wrong Jellal.)

Also Siegrain wasn't a clone, nor was he killed, it was just a magical projection.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The entire Tower and Jellal, Erza and the Seis being slaves there was pointless as the guy was not dead.

Pretty much they suffered for no reason.

They suffered as part of Ultear's plan to distract the Magic Council from Grimoire Heart's activities.

Hilariously, Master Hades himself later fell victim to the same trap of believing bogus facts about Zeref and doing a lot of pointless work because of it.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Mavis is going to accidentally Yuriy, isn't she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

jiffypop45 posted:

As in Mavis is Makarov's mother? (FT Zero cannon be damned).

No, I mean she's going to accidentally [kill] him.

I got the impression that his mother was just Someone, I don't think Mavis can have children.

• Locked thread