Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Who cares about all this plot nonsense, the best part of these recent chapters was that party (I stopped reading for like, 2 months and just remembered to catch up).

Overall I'd say the arc highlights came down to (least to greatest):

-All the dragonslayers losing the race (even when Sabretooth was still ostensibly serious)
-Laxus beating all of Raven Tail by himself
-Natsu befriending a gigantic burning skeleton dragon by chewing on him
-Wrap Party
-Erza beating all the the monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

I'd add the fight between the dragonslayers and the final battle royal where Fairy Tail won without losing anyone.

Also anyone who doesn't think Elfman's fight is worthy of the highlight reel isn't a man.

I forgot Elfman's fight, but yes that was also amazing.

Remembering things in Fairy Tail is sometimes surprisingly difficult for something with such a simple story.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I love tournament arcs. Dark Tournament, the War Games, that one from Flame of Recca, bring em all on.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh no boobs in Fairy Tale what will we do?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ChronoReverse posted:

Does anyone know who the fourth founding member of Fairy Tail is?

Hades.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Every kitty is a good kitty :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cats are great, cats4life :colbert:

Wendy I've no real opinion on, she's just kind of there, I group her in the same level of tolerable as a lot of the secondary FT members.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I would honestly say it was worse.

Nah.

Mashima can actually draw, an ability that eludes Kenichi's author.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 10, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think the mileage for Everyone is Gerard jokes has been well and truly spent.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zogundar posted:

I heard (From this forum I think) that that was editorial interference. Therefore Mashima never really had plans for her. Which is a shame, I had no idea about any of this when I originally watched the anime and kept waiting for wacky love triangle hijinks! (That only ever happened in Juvia's head. :downsgun:)

That would explain the lack of her, odd given that she and Natsu are supposed to be an item.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I long ago gave up any attempt to hold FT to a higher standard than "wow it was pretty cool the way Natsu punched that dude with fire/Erza did pretty much anything Erza has ever done."

Which, to be fair, is probably the only bar that Mashima is aiming for.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not that the chairman wasn't being dumb but... it kind of seems like the demons are being just as dumb? I mean, he's under their thumb anyway and is supposedly the only one who can use this apparently extremely useful super archive, kind of seems like they've thrown away something really valuable!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

tsob posted:

The Face system they're trying to gain access to will render all magic void across the entire continent in perpetuity, leaving only them with power since they don't use magic but demon power. Which makes you wonder why he worked with them in the first place. Having magic seems like a pretty sweet deal to me, why would you help someone get rid of it for you and everyone else?

Silver2195 posted:

I assumed Kyouka brainwashed him, but come to think of it, that would mean he's a demon now and would be able to use Super Archive after Face anyway.

Prediction: Face will succeed, but Fairy Tail will use Ex-Balls to get their powers back.

See that's the thing: I figured the Archive and probably other stuff would be exempt because otherwise it really does make no sense on any level to work with the demons.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Chapter

Sometimes Mashima just says, "You know who gets to be cool this week? Everyone."

But the coolest is always Erza in the end :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This skeleton guy looks pretty rad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RatHat posted:

I must've missed this. When did this happen?

Remember the first thing we see in the entire series are Sieglein and Urtear.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chumbler posted:

I want to say it gets by on the strength of the characters, but I honestly can't even agree with that that much. Natsu is bland as hell, and while I like Lucy, Juvia, and Gray they get constantly sidelined. That pretty much just leaves Erza to carry the series, which she ably does. Maybe it's conditioning or desensitization, but Erza has been shown to be weird and kind of a little dumb enough that I'm okay with her choices of outfits, exploitative as they may be. That said, I don't think we've really had a strong arc in a while, probably not since the guild vs. guild fight way early on. A few decent moments, sure, but basically everything after Wendy's introduction has been kind of lame.

But seriously, Mashima, let Lucy, Gray, and Juvia actually do something for once?

I feel like Erza is nicely summed up in this recent side chapter in which she thinks pools is played by actually smashing other balls with the cue, mugs a random waitress for her outfit, and then is shown to be able to reflect bullets in such a way as to sink a bunch of balls, all because she went out for dessert.

Or in other words: she's loving great.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Heroes learn the secret of the enemy immortality and destroy it in a few pages, followed immediately by a Jojo joke. Fairy Tail :allears:

Mildly curious about the two bosses here. Bunny chick says that they revive in there due to their contract with the Demon King, but said Demon King is still subordinate to Master End, who I guess actually IS the book of Zeref. Not that any of this will matter because Natsu will just punch them all but hey.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sindai posted:

I was expecting him to wreck some demons, not the entire floating fortress.

Yeah I thought he'd show up and just smash Jackal, and then the next page the entire loving whale explodes. Demon King is probably going to clown the Spirit King though, sadly.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I kind of though the name reveal was obvious already. Still good though!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

That reminds me, I wonder when Urtear will come back from the dead?

I thought she was an old lady?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well that's definitely one of the better kills this manga's had. :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I hope this just turns into a Big Bad Rumble between Mard Geer/End, Acgnolia, and I guess Zeref might show up too? I want the missing dragon parents and the protags sidelined for awhile in any case. I love it when major bad guys throw down.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Considering that Acgnolia's whole thing is that he's a dragon slayer who became a dragon by just killing shittons of dragons, I'm not sure I buy that Igneel's going to win this one. Even if the others pop out of their slayers.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All manga are Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, and all manga must one day return to it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mard Geer's comment about "coming to" Earthland is interesting.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That was sort of inevitable but it kind of seemed like Acnologia just... suddenly got the upper hand even though he'd been getting swatted around that whole time. Also drat it you can't just wander off without showing what END is. I guess we've got the other dragons to maybe explain why it's important to just take END and not destroy it though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zogundar posted:

Eh, I think that was more Igneel getting increasingly desperate/reckless than actually coming close to defeating him. It got some results but this is the price for them. You could tell early on he was outmatched when his "let's nuke the page" attacks had no effect.

Agree about END though. I guess having him come out and having another fight without developing his character at all would be awkward and it's pretty late into the arc.

I just wanted to see what he looks like.

As far as Zeref goes, I think his design is fine and the motive fair enough (though the only explicit explanation comes from Mark Geer, who I don't think is credible). Thing is we've no real idea what his goals are and the glimpses of his personality we get are few and inconsistent.

What I bet is that Zero will explain exactly how Zeref fits in with everything else beyond being a vague cause. Hades, Treeman, and Mavis/Makarov probably disagreed on how to deal with him and split up for that reason or something. He's probably the person they meet in the next Zero chapter!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Etherius Natsu Dragneel

:psyboom: WHAT

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All kitties are good hth

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wow when was the last time we even saw Gildartz?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zogundar posted:

A girls' bath fanservice omake, of course. :allears:
Well
:shepface:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The main element that changes is that Erza eventually peels back the scary big sis facade and reveals that she's a billion times weirder than everyone else in the guild.

She is still the best character though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't remember that thing about the King being Edolas Makarov so I looked it up and found out that the anime has an exclusive Edolas Gajeel, who is a 1920s newspaper critic.

That is loving radical.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I fully support Lucy imitating Erza in order to beat the crap out of people.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I forgot Erza only has one eye.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She's not actually sad, it's just unusually dry where they live and she's working to end the drought.

Also remember how Lucy's mom died the same day the dragon's vanished what ever happened to that

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I forgot that Lisanna/Natsu was a thing. I also had to look up who Bluenote was.

It is very hard to remember Fairy Tail things

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's also some Fairy Tail Zero out.

Mavis continues to rule and I like Young Hades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Have they resolved Arcologia's gender or pre-draconic form yet? Because I could totally see that if they haven't yet.

Probably pops out naked and on fire, too.

I mean if the end of Fairy Tail is a nude fist fight between two people who are on fire then sign me up.

• Locked thread