Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I actually think it was kind of dumb of Wendy to switch back like that, given how injured Wendy's body was and how uninjured Eileen's body was. She should really have just killed Eileen and kept Eileen's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
This is why Erza annoys me. The way she wins fights she was losing overwhelmingly by just thinking about her friends. To be fair, there's a possibility that Wendy is boosting her in this case, and the fight isn't over yet.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

I feel that it's pretty racist that we have dragon slayers and demon slayers but no dedicated human slayers in this manga.

Somehow I assumed that Natsu just became a Human Slayer, since he rejected his demon and dragon seeds by still uses fire magic resembling his Dragon Slayer magic.

Voldeo (the Grimoire Heart guy who possessed Capricorn), wasn't a Human Slayer, but he used Human Subordination magic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

So which came first, the too powerful enemy that needed a Glidartz to Deus Ex Machina them into submission, or the Gildartz who needed a too powerful enemy to keep him from just crashing all the problems away?

I think Gildartz's involvement in this arc came first, because excluding him from the final arc would be weird.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

I still don't understand how Acnologia is a threat to Zeref at all.

Acnologia's breath attacks can probably just incinerate Zeref's body. If Igneel's flames had the potential to kill Zeref, Acnologia's island-erasing blast of darkness surely could.

The real question is how anyone, Zeref included, is a threat to Acnologia at this point. I had previously assumed that Natsu would take him out with some new dragon-demon form, but now that Natsu has rejected his Dragon Seed and Demon Seed, he shouldn't even be able to scratch Acnologia's scales.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 19, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I like Zeref's conflicting motivations thing. At first I assumed he was just badly written and/or I was forgetting plot points, but eventually it was revealed that he's supposed to be that way.

It does become a lot less clever when you realize how many other Fairy Tail characters really do have conflicting motivations because of bad writing, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The twist seemed clever at first, but now that I think about it, didn't August say something about only Rakheid's mother being able to defeat him? But now it turns out Rakheid doesn't even have a mother, and it's August who's the child of Zeref and Mavis. I might have to reread the earlier chapters to see exactly what August said about Rakheid.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Ahh, yeah, not sure why I didn't realize you were talking about him. I sort of get the impression that maybe All For One needs to "equip" his quirks beforehand and can't just equip all of them at once due to potential "conflicts" or something. I could be wrong, but it seemed like he had experimented with different combinations of quirks to achieve the best result, which possibly implies that he can't just access everything all the time. It also seems like he can take multiple instances of the same quirk and "stack" it to make it stronger, which implies that his quirk works differently than one might intuitively expect it to.

But yeah, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to choose some combination of quirks that could defeat All Might, regardless of how strong/fast he might be. Just combine something like invisibility/flight with the durability that one Noumu had and some really strong attack and there's no much All Might can do (flight in particular would render All Might almost powerless if it were combined with that Noumu's durability, since it would be impossible for All Might to carry out a sustained assault).

He lost that durability power by giving it to the Noumu, though. And his injuries likely interfere with many flight powers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Yeah, I guess FMA doesn't really have the type of power battles that other shounen stuff have because most people work off the same thing - alchemy - and the only alchemist to actually use a different power is Mustang since he does fire instead.

There are some other people with cool powers that don't fit into the making-stuff-out-of-metal or generic weapon using categories. Most notably Scar's deconstruction, Gluttony's pocket dimension, Envy's shapeshifting, and Greed manipulating the carbon in his own body (though of these, only Scar is technically an alchemist). I do agree that a lot of other characters have less interesting abilities, though (lots of people who just use a gun or sword, and a fair number of generalist alchemists like Cornello and Alex Armstrong).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The funny thing is that Fairy Tail didn't have any major permanent powerups either prior to Second Origin. Natsu always won with a temporary powerup. Then they did another time skip to give everyone a second set of powerups.

The second set of powerups didn't even serve much narrative purpose, either. I guess it helped sell the idea that the Alvarez Empire was a big deal while still allowing the protagonists to beat them, since before the second timeskip Makarov thought Fairy Tail had no chance against them?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 16, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Second Origin was some of the silliest poo poo. At least Gajeel trained for his power up!!!!

EDIT: Doesn't the Fire-Lightning Dragon thing he got from Laxus at the end of Tenrou count.

I think everyone except the main characters getting stronger over the first timeskip was there mainly for comedic value (Natsu struggling against a nobody like Max, Lucy's attempted Hyperbolic Time Chamber-style exploit backfiring). Second Origin was a handwave to get the protagonists back on par with the rest of the world before the serious plot started. Plus Erza already having Second Origin set up the way she beat Minerva.

I forgot about Fire-Lightning being permanent. Although it might have worn off eventually, since I don't think Natsu has used it in a long time. Normally I think this thread exaggerates the amnesiac effects of Fairy Tail, but this time it happened to me!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

New chapter

Once again, an enemy is defeated in a wet fart of a conclusion. And surprising no one, Natsu has become a demon dragon.

August's loss was at least set up with the only his mother can defeat him line (which I had misremembered; he didn't actually specify that he was talking about Rakheid.).

And it's not entirely clear that Natsu is a demon dragon now, either. Chapter titles are sometimes misleading.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So wait, why did that guy think he was Zeref's son? We he just such a fervent follower that he convinced himself?

He was an Etherious created by Zeref as practice for reviving Natsu.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Any idea who that is at the end? I was thinking future Lucy but she doesn't really look like her.

Pretty sure it's Anna, who was Lucy's ancestor and one of Zeref's ex-girlfriends.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Harry posted:

Aizen atleast was consistent chapter to chapter. Zeref appears to have a completely different personality every cutback. Which wouldn't be bad, but it's hard to tell if that's on purpose.

It's on purpose. It's spelled out pretty clearly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

I remember it being spelled out clearly, but then I forgot what was spelled out because...Fairy Tail.

Basically, he's constantly switching between contradictory ideas as a way of coping with a curse that causes the people around him to die if he values human life too much.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Honestly, Fairy Tail would be much better if it was about punching the hosed up gods who bestow such curses. Natsu finds out Zeref is his brother, learns what's going on from the first, dragon punches god in their smug loving face. Fin.

I used to assume that after they beat up Zeref they would go to the realm of the gods and beat up Ankhseram. It would give the God Slayers a chance to shine for once. Stuff like the "Fairy Tail memories" covers make it clear that this is going to be the last arc, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ankhseram, the god of life and death, who gave Zeref the Curse of Contradiction in the first place as a punishment for trying to resurrect Natsu.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I feel a bit odd in that I don't hate Fairy Tail. I find it very meh and really forgettable most of the time, but with occasional spikes of fun that keep me around. I'm probably going to get lacerated for this, but I kept reading Fairy Tail for years, even when I dropped other manga near their conclusions (I dropped Naruto about 10 chapters from the end when Kakashi gave his eye to someone in a dream but they had it in reality or something really dumb) and have never bothered to finish it. I've even kept reading it and dropped objectively better manga like My Hero Academia, which I binge read every few months but mostly just found competent but kind of dull. Fairy Tail's stupidity has a charm I guess. That or it's simple time investment, since I was reading it a lot longer than MHA but never felt it got insulting dumb like Naruto or regularly boring for long stretches like Bleach.

I think the key to Fairy Tail's enjoyability despite the stupidity is the fast pacing. It usually doesn't stall like Bleach (although it did for the last few chapters).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chumbler posted:

Great romances like the following:

-Obsessed stalker and guy who ignores her
-Girl and guy who tried to use her as a sacrifice
-Girl and guy who literally crucified her
-The one we don't talk about

Though I'll give you Elfman/Evergreen, Bisca/Arzac, and I guess Aquarius/HER BOYFRIEND (her boyfriend), so that's at least two.

What's the one we don't talk about? Zeref and Mavis?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

So Zeref was just suddenly one shot by Natsu because of Emotions, despite everything making it so that it was impossible for him to win.

And Acnologia in the same chapter was pushed into a blackhole. Thus removing all threats, and Ichiya was the only casualty

I thought Zeref lost because he'd been drawing power from the Ravines of Time, and they were closed when Acnologia was shoved into them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I feel like the love story between Zeref and Mavis would almost be kind of cute and touching if one of the participants didn't have the body of a child. As it is now though, it will never not be creepy.

To be fair, I think Zeref has the body of someone only a few years older.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hopeford posted:

Someone cure my fairy tail amnesia here:

Isn't Laxus like a fake dragon slayer or something? What is he doing with everyone else? I don't remember how all of that stuff worked.

Sort of. Instead of being taught by a dragon, he had a Dragon Slayer Lacrima inserted in his body (don't ask me where Dragon Slayer Lacrima come from). Eric/Cobra also became a Dragon Slayer this way. God Serena underwent a similar process, but instead of one Lacrima, he had eight, allowing him to use eight different elements. Sting and Rogue are "Third-Generation Dragon Slayers" who were taught by dragons and have Lacrima. In terms of powers, though, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Relin posted:

pretty bad ending, the bit with zeref and mavis was inexplicable. he certainly didnt deserve a happy ending

I thought that was just people who looked like them or something.

• Locked thread