Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I wonder how Lucy is supposed to close the gate. Maybe knowing that she would have is enough to change the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Cozz posted:

For the manga, I wonder if Future Rogue is going to join Fairy Tail after Natsu fire punches him.

My money's on present Rogue. He's been shown thinking a lot about friendship and there's the connection to Gajeel.

But let's be honest, Fairy Tail's collecting all the dragon slayers, so both Sting and Rogue are joining.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

PFlats posted:

I'm 50/50 between that and Celestial Spirit world. Dragons makes the most sense, but then why is Lucy the one who closes it?

On the last page, Lucy appears to have mind control eyes going on. I don't believe she's in charge of her body right now.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
The same thought came to me when I heard seven dragons.

I love how "using the power of all 12 zodiac keys" means "summon all 12 of the spirits at once and have them all push the doors together".

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

I always forge that Laxus is technically a dragonslayer.

It's because he doesn't have a cat, isn't it?

The Fresh Prince posted:

Isn't Cobra still a bad dude though?

They don't have to let Cobra go free. They could just bring him to the dragons, let him kill one, and then lock him back up.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
At this point, I'm just gonna post his Fairy Tail Wikia article here, instead of this bit-by-bit infodump.

Fun fact: Apparently Cobra is just an alias. His real name is Erik

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was actually stated back in the nirvana arc that all of them went by code names.

All I remember from that arc are the fights, that Wendy first appeared in it, and that Hoteye is the brother of the blocky guy from the Tower of Heaven arc.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Chapter 332

Does this mean Natsu's a prince?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Fairy Tail 334

Poor Gray.:ohdear:

So, any bets on how long until he's revived?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, it was running in that direction more and more, sort of swerving a little to keep you from fully reaching that conclusion. Then this happens and honestly, I just broke out laughing, it's a total "you've got to be loving kidding me" moment. It's just too violent and horrible to actually stick after such a random moment - that last panel is way too grim.

I'll admit, I was a little surpised when Gray first got shot in the chest. But by the time I got to the headshot, I knew it wasn't going to stick.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

By the way, when did their Guild get destroyed or whatever? Don't recall that at all.

It was just foreclosed on during the time skip, and now Magnolia is giving it back to Fairy Tail. The repairs are because no one used it in who knows how long.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zogundar posted:

I didn't realize either until you pointed it out, I can't go back can I? :(

I didn't realize Doranbolt (I assume it's him) was.. you know.. like that though. When was that ever mentioned? Is it because he had some interaction with Wendy? Then again, if I didn't pick up on this..

I see my other theory was destroyed. I am sad.

I don't know if it's supposed to be Doranbolt. I hope it isn't, because he seems to be pretty cool. I think it's someone who was perving on Wendy and Chelia in the water park chapter.

tsob posted:

I want a Dragonslayer, or perhaps some kind of magic-user anathema to them that has a puppy sidekick now. One who gets on with Happy, chases Charle and is scared shitless of Pantherlily perhaps for the full range of reactions.

Well Laxus doesn't have a cat yet, maybe he's a dog person. I remember seeing a sketch Mashima did with Laxus saying he didn't need a cat.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

Except that it's pretty clear that Minerva didn't luck in to this - she's in the same guild as, and personally partnered with the Troll looking guy in the teeth bandana. Even if they didn't specifically go there to fight Fairy Tail it's pretty clear she got her partner to target and regress Erza so she could fight her once she was weakened. There's no real luck involved, and at least some element of strategy.

attackbunny posted:

Good point. Let's just agree that Minerva's an honourless douchestick.

I don't think Minerva has the self-awareness of her own strengths to know how much of challenging child-Erza is because she might not win a straight-up fight and how much is because she's and honorless douchestick. She says she'll do anything to get to the top, but I think it's in a "I'll punch a baby if it got me closer to the top", not "I'm this strong, but I have no problem with doing this or that to get an advantage against my opponents".

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Plus the troll-guy's powers don't work that way. They weaken you, and the de-aging is just a side effect.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zogundar posted:

Oh yeah: What's the pecking order of villains at the moment? Is Zeref the big bad, or is it supposed to be Acnologia? I never understood if Zeref summoned that guy or if he was just doing his own thing. Do we even know?

I'd think it'd be Zeref, if for no other reason than that he has a normal face that can be punched, but I would be completely unsurprised if Acnologia turns into a smaller humanoid or something

I think Zeref has a better claim since most, if not all, demons/dark magicks come from him. Even Acnologia was supposed to have been changed into a dragon with some action from Zeref, or something like that.

Acnologia is probably a major enemy down the line, but another dragon or two have to be beaten beforehand, or there's another level to Dragon-Slaying magic that we don't know about. If not, be prepared for me to call bullshit on Acnologia's defeat.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Shugojin posted:

Something something Lucy, Zodiac magic, summon a colossal pair of tits that just suffocates Acnologia. The Mashima-est ending.

Don't forget Natsu eating some sort of magic, and copious use of "friendship". Because I think Mashima uses that word like Silver Age Flash writers used molecules: throw it around so many times it loses all meaning, and you can justify any bullshit in the story.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Honestly at this point I reckon Minerva is the best character in the story. If Fairy Tail was all about her going around being a gigantic bitch to everyone regardless of the situation then not only would there be more fights but also a much lesser focus on Wendy and loving cats. Here's hoping that the giants flatten the mages of Fairy Tail so we can get this show on the road.

Alternatively, Elfman going around being manly or Gajeel going around being Gajeel.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

I think we can all agree that the series would be better if Wendy and Charle had simply never existed. They both somehow manage to be worse characters than even Jellal and everything associated with them is awful.

Has Wendy done anything other than be the healer? I'd be more forgiving if she had a great fight or something to explain/justify why she's part of the main group.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

international owl day posted:

Hollow motivations and hasty redemption arcs makes me think Mashima just wants to shoehorn in as many huge tittied women as he can.

You're only figuring this out now?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
This is really small, but it has been bugging me all day.

Tartarus are basically Fairy Tail's Satanists, but they have a demon slayer in their roster. It seems weird to me, and I've figured out 4 explanations that I'll accept.

A) It's just a title. Demon-Slayer magic is just really powerful, but gains no bonuses from use against demons.

B) It's insurance in case any of the demons they summon get out of hand.

C) It's to get rid of the competition. Tartarus doesn't want you serving those demons, they want you serving these demons.

D) Tartarus are running a massive con on the guy to keep him from finding out the truth.

I really want it to be D.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Unfortunately for Tartarus, Fairy Tail mages have "Because Mashima said so", a power that trumps anything.

Actually, have any of the "FT member vs. Bad guy" chapters not ended with the FT member winning? Or is that the chapter after?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ChronoReverse posted:

Laxus crushed his opponent but he lost the engagement both in the immediate and in the long-term =(

And three months from now, there'll be a "Laxus vs. That One Dude" chapter and Laxus will have found a way around the guy's ability.

Because Mashima said so.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus he noted that he knew Natsu.

I thought Silver recognizing Natsu might possibly lead to explaining if Natsu and Gajeel are secretly hundres of years old.

e: New page

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Nahxela posted:

All the dragons should just keep eating everything and power up.

I had some dumb theory during the fight against the dragons that each guild would pool their power and then feed it to one of the dragon-slayers. I guess it could still happen.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Cozz posted:

Fairy Tail Side Chapter An Erza Chapter. So starts off good, adds fan service, then ends.

I was more worried the chapter would have more fanservice, since it was in a seinen mag. And from what I've heard, it was supposed to be a flashback of how Bisca joined the guild too. I don't know, Mashima doesn't focus enough on the lesser cast for me to get that right away.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zogundar posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was just thinking when reading the side chapter with Asuka that the Bisca in the flashback reminded me of "Rouge." And I think Bisca was also an immigrant or something.
Where was it explicitly said it was supposed to be about Bisca though? I don't doubt that it's her, but it sounds like I didn't read Something.

Like I said, I just read elsewhere that it's a flashback. The hints from the chapter are that both are immigrants, Moulin is Bisca's maiden name, she looks like the young Bisca in the Asuka chapter, and I guess the mouse (a side chapter says Bisca likes animals). But yeah, really could've used a page that says it flat out. I guess Mashima wanted to be subtle, but he doesn't do subtle well.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
He either has a lot of the work be done by his assistants, or he spends less time on the planning/rough draft phase. That's what makes the most sense to me.

EDIT: On that note: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-30/monthly-fairy-tail-magazine-to-launch-with-fairy-tail-zero-manga. Long story short, There's gonna be a FT magazine coming out, with a prequel manga by Mashima while working on the main series. To quote Mashima, "Yeah, I'm going to be in hell."

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 31, 2014

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

But seriously, Mashima, let Lucy, Gray, and Juvia actually do something for once?

Well at least Gray is getting a spinoff manga in the FT magazine, and more will pop up later on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Gajeel/Gray buddy-cop spinoff.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I enjoyed Natsu using the rock way more than I expected.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also is that really the end of super secret bossman whose name I can't remember? He just gets turned to stone by a vague freeing-Fairy-Tail-from-the-thing attack?

You're surprised a Fairy Tail villain was beaten anti-climatically?

At least Lucy won a fight on her own for the first time in god knows how long.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Is Mashima really trying to drag out the Gray/Silver reveal? The only way it could be a twist is if it's just a demon in a Silver-suit at this point.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Fairy Tail 388

Wendy cuts her hair because reasons!

Minerva isn't a bad person after all, because no one can't be redeemed in Fairy Tail!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Shugojin posted:

The key to Fairy Tail is to enjoy bad guys getting punched and try not to think too hard because Mashima apparently doesn't either.

To be fair, Mashima is pretty drat good at creating satisfying face punching scenes.

I'll agree Mashima can get some good moments, but most of the time he seems to just throw in scenes and events without regard to proper character arcs or thematic build-up. He thinks that by telling us something is sad, we'll believe him. Most of his "character development" is cheap copying of better works with the fanservice turned way up and oh my god I just realized...

Mashima is a troper.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zogundar posted:

Chapter 389:

NEXT WEEK: The answer to the question everybody already figured out. :allears:

Hey, to be fair, we weren't sure if it is really Gray's dad or a demon wearing his face.

But seriously, the rest of the chapter was boring. The sooner we cut to Gajeel's fight, the better.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Monaghan posted:

Also, really surprised that FT is this popular. it's a fun dumb manga, but didnt' think it get a spinoff.

Fairy Tail's one of Kodansha's most popular titles, second only to Attack on Titan.

tsob posted:

Yea, that was actually pretty surprising and even a decent twist. I'm more interested though in the news that Fairy Tail is getting a spin off manga. I wonder who's writing it, who it'll be about and if it'll be as good a spin-off as Springtime of Youth.

Only thing definite is that Mashima is doing an origin story for Fairy Tail.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Re: their "first meeting", I think it's been long enough and Gajeel's reformed enough that I'm okay with the two hooking up.

Re: Levy's method of giving Gajeel air, I think you were supposed to think she'd write up some air for him, and then be surprised by her actual actions. It was a swerve that worked to further the romantic (sub)text between the two. Because even if it is just to give him air, there is still the imagery of mouth-to-mouth.

Gyges posted:

The important thing is that this looks way better and sets up Gajeel going sickhouse on the demon guy better.

Also this.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
New Fairy Tail.

Can we just end the Face subplot already?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm just glad we finally got an explanation for that spell preventing old people from leaving the guild hall was finally explained away. (and in a relatively not bullshit way!)

Also hopefully the time-skip is gonna actually have something resembling an impact on the story. I don't think the last one actually did anything?

Not really. At least this time it looks like Makarov is gonna step down and let others take over for him. Maybe he'll let someone from the group that got older get some relevance in future arcs too.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kingtheninja posted:

Can anyone comment on how the anime is doing? I never got far in the manga, and stopped watching the show around episode 50 maybe? It was right at the arc where FT teams up with some other guilds for some mission and it introduced the PARRRFUMMMME guy. I'd like to get back into this series but I'm not sure if I should binge on the show or just plow through the manga.

I'd pick the manga, but that's because I can get through about a volume of chapters in the time it'd take to watch one episode. And right now, if you have a Crunchyroll account, you can read all of FT from the start. At least for the next few months.

Edit: Read the manga, and if there are any fights you want to see in motion, look online (meaning Crunchyroll/Funimation's videos, no :filez:) for the corresponding episode.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Comic posted:

I'm actually interested in Laxus's development, since if Fairy Tail is disbanding, I'm wondering if he'll try to revive it, or something.

It'll either be A: Everyone rejects Makarov's disbandment order, and make someone else (probably Laxus) the new master. Or B: Someone (probably Laxus) starts a new guild that's Fairy Tail in all but name. It might even have the name, depending on the rules.

• Locked thread