Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
That's what this invasion was missing. More posing from everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

I just hope Natsu turns into a demon dragon soon and just stomps everyone and wins the day and the manga ends. Then Mashima can move one to what he really wants to do, draw all the Heavy Metal covers from now on.

Give him three days, and he'd have the next 20 years worth of covers made.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

New Chapter is up.

The worst part is that it would actually be interesting if Gray's attack worked, but you know that type of poo poo doesn't fly in Fairy Tail, so it won't and almost negative things happened this chapter.

Two chapters this week, and Gray is stopped about 5 pages in.

On the other hand, Zeref has a super-duper secret plot, and Acnologia is back.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Silver2195 posted:

Acnologia's breath attacks can probably just incinerate Zeref's body. If Igneel's flames had the potential to kill Zeref, Acnologia's island-erasing blast of darkness surely could.

The real question is how anyone, Zeref included, is a threat to Acnologia at this point. I had previously assumed that Natsu would take him out with some new dragon-demon form, but now that Natsu has rejected his Dragon Seed and Demon Seed, he shouldn't even be able to scratch Acnologia's scales.

I think they said that Acnologia can use some sort of soul magic, which might be one of the few things to do something worth a drat to Zeref.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

I saw Bleach and Naruto through to the end, and Fairy Tail still isn't that bad.

It is bad, though.

For all its faults, Fairy Tail is one of the better series when it comes to upgrade/new form distribution.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
New chapter.

I hate you, Mashima

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Hate-Senpai posted:

I'd be fine if he only asked it once, but he says it like 3 times, which is 2 times more than I would be okay with.

In a better series, it would have been a recurring question, but Mashima messed up and needed to cram it all into one chapter.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Since Fairy Tail gives you amnesia, here's what Zeref says his curse is

Also later in the chapter he is quite clear that he's in gently caress all humans mode, so either Mashima forgot Zeref isn't performing a secret triple double bluff to save humanity, or Zeref forgot he wants to destroy everything due to prolonged Fairy Tail contact.

There was point, I think during the flashback where Mavis and Zeref hook up, where Zeref starts contradicting himself with every thought. One second he wants to see Natsu again and be brotherly, the next he wants Natsu dead. It gets confusing trying to keep up with every motivation Zeref has claimed caused his actions.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
The conflicting motivations are fine (for Zeref). It's just that he could do with more breakdowns trying to deal with the contradictions.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
New chapter.

What? How?

I have no words. I don't know how we can top this.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

U-DO Burger posted:

Am I missing something? What was uniquely horrible about this chapter?

It's not outright horrible (that was last chapter), but it's just too stupid even for Mashima.

Silver2195 posted:

The twist seemed clever at first, but now that I think about it, didn't August say something about only Rakheid's mother being able to defeat him? But now it turns out Rakheid doesn't even have a mother, and it's August who's the child of Zeref and Mavis. I might have to reread the earlier chapters to see exactly what August said about Rakheid.

It really doesn't work. It's a twist for the sake of a twist, and requires too many dumb and uncomfortable things to happen so it can work.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Angry Grimace posted:

When did they have sex given that she became comatose at their first kiss

We're supposed to use Zeref's words this chapter to infer that Mavis lied and they were able to go further before her coma.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

sharktamer posted:

nah it's ok cos she's actually hundreds of years old

Precht even said it was fine in this chapter.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fabricated posted:

Hasn't Cana and Gildartz's relationship been dealt with like 2-3 times at this point?

It was dealt with the moment Cana told Gildartz how they're related, so once.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Spiderdrake posted:

This is the funniest the thread has been in a while and all it took was one of the weirdest chapters in a long time.

As an aside, are we sure demons can't have mothers?

It's been stated in the series that Zeref made all the demons by himself.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Silver2195 posted:

I think everyone except the main characters getting stronger over the first timeskip was there mainly for comedic value (Natsu struggling against a nobody like Max, Lucy's attempted Hyperbolic Time Chamber-style exploit backfiring). Second Origin was a handwave to get the protagonists back on par with the rest of the world before the serious plot started. Plus Erza already having Second Origin set up the way she beat Minerva.

I forgot about Fire-Lightning being permanent. Although it might have worn off eventually, since I don't think Natsu has used it in a long time. Normally I think this thread exaggerates the amnesiac effects of Fairy Tail, but this time it happened to me!

Fairy Tail is actually not that bad with power-ups, depending on you define "power-up".

As we are so fond of doing, to compare to Dragon Ball, Second Origin is more in line with training under Roshi/Korin/Kami/King Kai/Whis, and grants a general boost in power. The Fire-Lightning and Iron-Shadow forms, Wendy's Dragon Force, and Lucy's Star Dress magic are the only SSJ-type power-ups found in the series.

Erza using a new armor, Gray's shift to Ice Demon Slayer magic, and the Strauss siblings displaying new transformations are a weird blend of the two types. They are new forms to readers, but are still just an expansion of previously seen magic from the characters.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Hate-Senpai posted:

Yeah, I guess power ups vary by definition.

In my case I'm sorta linking it with both power creep and escalating threats, cause the three have some sort of symbiotic relationship with each other in most works.

Also holy poo poo that is a beautiful fuckyounicorn.

The easiest way to establish a new threat is show off that they are stronger than the previous threat, which means the heroes have to get stronger to overcome them, which nowadays means a new form has to be unlocked.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Power creep tends to be a thing that shounen manga can't really avoid nowdays, I think. Comes with having insane battles, and it's what leads to escalating threats all the time. After all, if the MC does beat this city-threatening enemy, then clearly the next enemy has to be stronger than that to pose a threat. And so on. JoJo's an exception to that, I think, at least from what I've watched (Parts 1 to 4) after the introduction of Stands cause Stands are super complex and neat and depend on how well you can use them as opposed to simple physical abilities and WILLPOWER. Rurouni Kenshin might've also been an exception? Enishi and his gang didn't really seem all that stronger than Shishio's group, Kenshin's difficulties were more about dealing with past trauma than anything else.

Jojo's multiple parts allow for a soft reset between each one, especially going beyond the first 3 parts. Kira doesn't have to be stronger than DIO, just like the scope of the story doesn't have to be bigger than a globetrotting epic. Plus Stands have more being used to measure their power than "which one can hit hardest".

Rurouni Kenshin was definitely another exception. I wanna say Watsuki did explicitly state that Shishio and his crew were stronger than Enishi and his band, but even if that wasn't true, judging by length of fights and how much of a toll they took on the heroes, the threats in the Vengeance arc were weaker than Shishio's forces. But the threats of the Venegeance arc had more personal connections to the heroes, which made up for the drop in strength.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
New chapter

Once again, an enemy is defeated in a wet fart of a conclusion. And surprising no one, Natsu has become a demon dragon.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Relin posted:

when you're surrounded by your family on your deathbed, your last thoughts will not be of your many good works in life, but how badly written fairy tail was

I drink to try and forget Fairy Tail, but the memories remain.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Relin posted:

if the final boss of fairy tail isnt ivan and/or the dark god i will be somewhat disappointed

Oh right, there's supposed to be a thing with Ivan.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

He also caused a 'zombie' apocalypse. Truly the greatest.

It wasn't a zombie apocalypse, it was the populace realizing they should want to be like Ichiya. Totally understandable.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

One of Fairy Tail's biggest strengths is that when Hiro doesn't like where the story is going he'll wrap it right the gently caress up. Other manga will write themselves into a bad place and then try and figure a way out. Hiro at least has the wherewithal to say, gently caress it, Natsu punched the the story arc away, and the skill to have the reader roll with it. It keeps Fairy Tail from dropping down into the poo poo show zone that plagued Bleach and even touches good manga. Even if it also means that Fairy Tail is never going to be great.

For instance One Piece got into a bit of a drag in Dressrosa with side characters not working out and things generally just not gelling like they normally do. Hiro would have just said gently caress this, Luffy just punches everything and we have a party, gently caress it, we're not coming back to this island anyway.

Mashima basically admitted in the same note where he announced Fairy Tail's end that he was writing whatever he felt like. He was very focused on the narrative in Rave, and FT was just doing whatever he felt like.

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/861946007503880192

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Monaghan posted:

I always found the romance is Fairy tail oddly charming and I would to see him write a non action manga.

I'm saying I have low standards for romance stuff.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Mashima is probably one of the better romantics amongst shonen writers.

Granted, that's not a high bar to clear, but he's more middle-of-the-road overall romance-wise.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

-Girl and guy who literally crucified her

To be fair, the guy did have to clean up his act first.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
But did Christina have a truly noble parfum? One that will never grace this world again?

Anna and Ichiya will be revealed to have gotten off Christina at the last second, making Christina and Makarov the only casualties for the heroes.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't think Fairy Tail is as bad as most people but it has many many enormous flaws and the second I switched from watching the anime to reading the manga my ability to remember what happened absolutely tanked so that bit is definitely accurate, at least in relation to the manga.

I got into Fairy Tail after hearing about Acnologia's attack before the time skip on a manga reviewing podcast. One of the hosts would not stop laughing about how stupid it was, and I decided to read a few chapters to see if it was really that dumb. So I think my opinion on FT has been shaped by that. I'm more amused than angry whenever it goes in a ridiculous direction.

Plus, thinking "what would be the stupidest way for this to turn out" has given me a decent track record on my FT predictions.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which podcast would that be?

Weekly Manga Recap. Here's them reviewing the comic by Gene Simmons's kid that plagiarized Bleach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJA0EZieDnI

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Say Nothing posted:

I'm guessing that some magical maguffin will bring back Acnologia for a final showdown. His ending felt kind of abrupt.

There's 10 chapters left, so unless we're getting like 7 chapters of "where are they now", something else has to happen besides whatever they do to resolve Zeref's curse.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Crazyeyes posted:

540 is up

NO ONE EVER DIES!!!

Who's stayed dead in this series. I think it's just the dragons, Lucy's parents, and Simon.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Has any reason been given as to why Acnologia wants to destroy everything? Or is he just doing this because why not?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Angry Lobster posted:

New chapter is up.

Hey, maybe Acnologia is not as dumb as it appears to be.

It might not be that dumb, but its defeat will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
https://twitter.com/hiro_mashima/status/888051525020336128

I'd say that overall, the anime is able to smooth out some of the rougher bits of the story, so this shouldn't be too bad. Plus it's nice to know that the story won't be left hanging.

• Locked thread