Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Serious Frolicking posted:

It wasn't clear before if they would hit the reset button or work with the consequences of what has happened in this arc. Now it is. Mashima couldn't even leave Lisanna alone, and her being dead was the only point her character ever had. Anyone who thinks that Gray is staying dead is more than a little dim.
Yeah, it was running in that direction more and more, sort of swerving a little to keep you from fully reaching that conclusion. Then this happens and honestly, I just broke out laughing, it's a total "you've got to be loving kidding me" moment. It's just too violent and horrible to actually stick after such a random moment - that last panel is way too grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's stuff like this that makes me absolutely love Fairy Tail. We all knew it was coming but the actual resolution was both hilarious, terrible and an interesting execution. The transition from 18 to 19 especially just makes me laugh DID SOMEONE WARN US? next page - Ultear just face down in the dirt. Grey going 'Someone?' and then yep, she's still in the dirt.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I was discussing this chapter with a friend while reading it and went 'oh wow I don't think fairy tail can take this any further'!

I was only half way through at the time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You probably translate the joke at the level you expect of your audience. I mean, they didn't really change anything, that is pretty much the whole joke - changing it to be more explicit doesn't really modify the intrinsic meaning.

Also I really liked that chapter. Part of me really appreciates how this manga just blows things up and doesn't waste time at all, ever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Suspicious Lump posted:

I thought FT had already done tentical rape?
Kinda, albeit not quite. It also did this thing where people would refer to it and then people would post another, not quite as so panel and be like SEE IDIOTS, NEVER HAPPENED.

Which honestly only makes me like Fairy Tail more.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

attackbunny posted:

gently caress me. For a second there I thought he'd actually done it.
There are characters that might get killed in Fairy Tail, but it feels like there's no way he'd actually blow up Wendy with her cat.

Wendy beating it hard was excellent, the art really conveyed a great sense of speed.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

KoB posted:

I think the popularity of Dragon Ball tells you everything you need to know about the strength of characters being important for Shonen and Japan. Goku is 10x more bland than Natsu and everyone loves him.
Well, DBZ originates the 'way more interesting secondary character' thing, doesn't it, that FT is absolutely enthralled with as well.

Also I like Wendy and Gajeel, and several of the tertiary characters are cool too, with the only downside they might all be the same character in disguise.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

For some reason I just see this chapter as this arc is slowly turning into a parody of Bleach. Or always was. You got your other faction dudes, you had the dude possessing a bunch of dudes and this dude is totally the Fairy Tail Aizen. I'm not even sure he was talking, or was Silver talking for him while he was just exuding the maximum potential amount of smug in most of those scenes?

The art on the cube transformed was really awesome. Less so on the bleeding zoomed in tits shot.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Onepunch Man is the exception that proves every single rule shonen writers use wrong.

But I do agree, it just feels dumb. This thing she is doing! She can't do it! Oh no she is doing it! Oh, she is doing it. I see. Gate of the Snoregasm, I choose you.

It isn't even visually represented that well. She already looks chewed up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Serious Frolicking posted:

Mashima just can't do a coherent narrative, not that this is news to anyone.
My favorite part of Fairy Tail is this is true, but somehow it is also impossible to remember what happened so you can't manage to really work up any care.

As opposed to Naruto where every horrible moment in the last couple years just comes rushing back.

I sort of vaguely thought the reforming dark guild of characters I can't remember and the snake guy were going to show up, but nah, here's some other random characters instead. Whatever. Fairy Tail gonna thrash around as it does.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I hope that the forbidden... involves a motorcycle

No I don't remember what it actually is. That chapter was yawns.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ah that was a satisfying little chapter. My hug shall teach you how to kill the demon king!

On the other hand Keith is such an odd name for fairy tail.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I scrolled through manga sites looking for a chapter with early Juvia in it and found this one. I really have no idea who the Gene Simmons character in it is or why he is making Juvia evil, and man has Juvia changed over time.
It actually kinda disturbs me how little I remember that.

On the other hand I do appreciate the link to an example of 'Aquarius was a piece of poo poo'.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

this week's?

I thought that was kinda rad and I get the feeling the next chapter is a power upgrade blending the two elements.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also, regarding the chapter: It sure is cute having Levy and Gajeel hooking up, but is anyone else consistently weirded out by it considering that he once beat the hell out of her and her friends and nailed them to a tree? It seems like that should be a deal breaker.
Isn't it kind of a very, very slow burn especially for Fairy Tail? He has saved her life and protected her a bunch in the past as well, I think?

I mean I don't disagree, especially creepy given he branded her after the battle, but I was kinda more taken back by the fact I thought Levy's power was converting words into reality? She can't make an air bubble? I can barely remember anything in Fairy Tail, mind you.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The whole lifestyle of theirs is weird in general. Wasn't he a double agent for a while as well?

Monaghan posted:

I think she's just holding her breath and giving air to Gajeel.
No, I know, I'm asking why someone who can make things is doing something so stupid instead. I guess it is just drama but it feels like it would have taken 2 more panels to execute it even better keeping that in mind.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Of course, the dude is metal as gently caress.

Good chapter.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This is my favorite kind of FT chapter. 'We're gonna do the generic shoNO gently caress THAT DOING SOMETHING ELSE'

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

chumbler posted:

For all his other faults, I will say that Mashima can draw some rad as hell dragons. Also I'm 9 years old.
"Fairy Tail is for your inner 9 year old" sounds about right

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I never thought I'd think to myself "God Fairy Tail is just taking too loving long"

Seriously, get it done guys, bored now

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Do you mean modern alloys of Titanium?

Gajeel owns anyway. It's weird how shonen always seems to bend toward the main character having the least interesting personality and powers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kuroyama posted:

If I were to peg anyone for hooking up during the skip, it would've been those two.
Nah Gajeel's ... uh, iron dragon powers ... are more immediately roused to action by trying to keep up with Natsu than poor Levy.

I'm kinda glad it looks like Grey/Juvia appear to be a couple? That is sort of sweet, and also will hopefully lead to less creepy Juvia ... Doing things with a Grey doll chapters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I wish the fanservice in FT was just big boobs or juvia fapping in the shower or whatever "normal" stuff. I don't like it, but it doesn't rate with me beyond being funny or sometimes cute. This humiliation angle FT is starting to take is creepy and unsettling.

I don't read light-hearted stupid shonen with a shallow mud puddle of a plot to see grown women stripped naked and tortured for information.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That cover is creepy as gently caress.

Lucy finally getting a sweet power up owns though, except when the eventual uh ram girl fluffy bikini power up rolls in. Ugh. Calling it now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I just hope this isn't emo juvia because of boring flashback scenes which will be analogous to her and grey getting their hair cut and uncut at the end of the last arc

Seriously I can't take anymore of FT's plot progression seizures. Let the fruity broad be happy over grey, sad about something else.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I don't remember poo poo in Fairy Tail. I think it's something I learned from Bleach and Naruto, though, to suppress how terrible the plot flows.

KoB posted:

The Gray/Juvia thing is dumb because Gray clearly likes her but is a big dumb baby and is a jerk about it for some reason.
He has issues because his family all died and yeah I get it but there's no reason to dwell on it like some will they won't they prime time NBC bullshit.

I guess maybe it's central to her character or something but it would totally own if they started doing combination magic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

pinegala posted:

Are you sure she didn't die again
Are you sure of anything beyond the three Fs of Fairy Tail: Fire, Friendship and Fanservice?

Because I'm not. I honestly don't even remember who Lisanna is or why she was in Egodoltas or whatever that lovely world was called. she was there, right?

Who is dance mage? Chelia?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

chumbler posted:

Really just anything that has nothing at all to do with Jellal.
It's literally just going to be her working for him while they stare at each other with doe eyes and more will they won't they prime time nbc poo poo. I can't even remember who inferior-mystogan even is anymore. Even worse I would rather the manga simply not address their sexual lives at all but "we lived together for six months and didn't touch each other" comes off as either the R is silent or just really messed up.

Also lord the whole scary-go-round of new ultra evil zeref worshiping freaks is just self-parody now. Haven't they killed like 93 of these buffoons already? Is there some factory making more of them?

edit: this chapter was good I just laughed out loud at that part. All of these new faces, soon to be super punched.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 17, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Have they resolved Arcologia's gender or pre-draconic form yet? Because I could totally see that if they haven't yet.

Probably pops out naked and on fire, too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rodyle posted:

I mean if the end of Fairy Tail is a nude fist fight between two people who are on fire then sign me up.
I think that's the climax of the Gary on Natsu brawl, except it's going to be ice vs fire so they'll steam everything up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah, something along those lines.

I mean it's fairy tail so the end result will be stupid but won't labor the point.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fairy Tail has tons of good characters. Other than generic shonen man Natsu, I actually like the big hitters of the cast.

It's just that when the author sits down to work, his priority isn't 'Show Erza getting into sweet action' or 'Show Juvia not being pooped on' it's "How can I have Wendy grope Juvia's tits?"

I would seriously wager money the entire Juvia fever was concocted weeks ago just for that one scene.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sometimes I think all of Natsu's battle dialogue should just be replaced with instances of no, gently caress off and/or gently caress you.

This is one of those times. Dumb as hell but wonderful visuals.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thunderbro posted:

guys I think erza just fell in love with natsu new shipping ???
Nah she's thinking about wearing that huge dude

she's like ... if I could make him into armor ...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kohon posted:

Oh my. How did I miss this/forget about this.
How do you remember anything in Fairy Tail?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like the development if it is launching into a couple arcs of interaction and doesn't immediately turn into Natsu pasting smucker after mook until they declare friendship on a pile of bodies.

Because seriously the last couple arcs have been a bit too "I'm bored I wanna draw some tits wrap it up" for my tastes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That didn't take long

Gyges posted:

Naruto would have been good if only it had ninjas like Natsu.
It does, Naruto would be good if Sasuke was more like Grey

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He has T Law's powers? I'm confused, I thought he was just like Obito.

Like seriously - teleports, your powers randomly don't work on him, puts you in another dimension?

Except mixed with that shrimp guy from Bleach. You know the one. Exacta!

Also I honestly parsed that last page or two in sort of the opposite way for a second or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

oh yeah chapter is here: http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/443/2846/1

Tits, manass, I wish grey-sama would do that to Juvia hnnnrggg and finally massive power creep. Oh and Obitoclone just gets stomped in an instant, beautiful

quintessential fairy tail, basically. Personal Bets: McTits being the member of the twelve to join da tail 80% and Marakov has joined with the enemy to do something something but reminds of family blah blah50%.

• Locked thread