Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

HKR posted:

I think the lessons we can learn from this is that there is a small group of people who would enjoy someone taking OT's more accurate translations and adding back in the honorifics while maybe doing some visual jazz to the attack names.

Isn't that pretty much exactly what the Aesir subs for OOO did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes, a sixth ranger is almost always more powerful than the others and almost always gets a stronger focus for a while. It eventually fades away and in a good series the sixth ranger exist to help underline whatever the basic premise is.

Gai's thing is that, unlike the Gokaigers, he actually cares about heroics and super sentai and those sorts of things. That ends up being pretty important because the Gokaigers themselves don't really and he is necessary to help balance that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cliff Racer posted:

I a understand (and even, to a small extent, agree) on certain honorifics and am in full agreement with not changing whatever English words they use (GUIS in particular will translate something like "nice shot" into another phrase just, I assume, for the hell of it) but I can't fathom people wanting fancy attack fonts. Thats not in the original and just makes it hard to read. There's nothing good about a translation like that.

If it's anything like Over-time they'll translate English words or phrases because the Japanese use them to mean something somewhat different than their actual English meaning. English does the same thing, borrowing words and phrases from several different languages like French or German etc. I don't really know any examples of Japanese twisting of English off-hand, just going off what different Over-time member's have stated in various threads on /m/, but I'm sure someone here can throw some out if anyone cares.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 31, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Miss Kalle posted:

Hey shut up about subs for a minute, apparently Hurricanger is getting a 10th anniversary movie!

Does Japan do April Fools?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Super Sentai newbie question.

I've just gotten to Gai/Gokai Silver's arrival in Gokaiger. His excitable puppy routine alternates between amusing and nerve-scrapingly annoying. The entire fight scenes for the episode were him tearing up the Zangyack single-handedly and then showing off his three-form mecha while everyone stood around verbally fellating him for how amazing he was.

1) Was the over the top "He's so AWESOME! :swoon:" a parody of this sort of the thing, because it felt laid on so thick but I haven't seen any other Sentai series to compare.

2) Is this going to be like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in general where all plot and character development immediately focuses on the Sixth Ranger?

I guess I'm asking if it's a Sentai trope that the sixth member is always ridiculously powerful with their own powerset (I know, I know, the need to sell toys) and always become the focus of the show or if it's treated different by different series.
He's temporarily stronger than the others, but in general, he's in the top 4 with Marvelous, Joe, and Luka, but usually hangs around and babysits the weakling duo of Ahim and Don (His personality fits them anyway)

As far as that goes though, the series does a better job at splitting up the action and letting them all become the hero, even late in the series (And even Naavi)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Sixth Ranger thing is sort of a staple of 90s Sentai that isn't actually being parodied THAT much in Gokaiger, although it is adhering to the formula rather exactly. Gai is actually probably the shows strongest actor though, so keep an eye on him and give him a chance.

The Sixth Ranger dynamic is so formulaic that Carranger, which airs in 1996 (Zyuranger introduced Sixth Rangers in 1992), is actually doing a very hard to ignore parody of Sixth Rangers through Signalman. In fact it's kind of hilarious. If you compare Signalman's whole shtick in his first appearance to like, GoBuster Beet and Stag from LAST years Sentai, it's amazing.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

404GoonNotFound posted:

I didn't watch OOO as it aired and I've never seen Aesir's subs so I don't know. Did it work?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yes, minus the honorifics. They never finished OOO, though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

HKR posted:

I didn't watch OOO as it aired and I've never seen Aesir's subs so I don't know. Did it work?
It looked pretty. I'd prefer to not have distractions though, I already have to read through most of an episode

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Does Japan do April Fools?

Not really, there have been a few mild pranks here and there but it's not as ridiculously prevalent as American pranks are.

I kind of doubt they'd go through the trouble of making a Facebook page and promos with the main cast for an April Fool's joke, though. And considering the release date is in August, it's even more plausible. But hey, if it is somehow a prank we can all have a laugh, I guess? (at my expense I'm assuming)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

War Hurricanger extremely popular in japan? It's weird that out of all the sentai this is the one to get an anniversary movie.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

If it's anything like Over-time they'll translate English words or phrases because the Japanese use them to mean something somewhat different than their actual English meaning. English does the same thing, borrowing words and phrases from several different languages like French or German etc. I don't really know any examples of Japanese twisting of English off-hand, just going off what different Over-time member's have stated in various threads on /m/, but I'm sure someone here can throw some out if anyone cares.

I don't care about them translating "pinch" to "lucky" or whatever but the "nice shot" example I used is one that I'm pretty sure actually came up in Zyuranger or Jetman.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Ignis posted:

Yes, minus the honorifics. They never finished OOO, though.

He did do separate translations for Fourze after completing work on the week's episode for OT... one was extra graphical and the other was the extra graphics plus additional honorifics and the like.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't care about them translating "pinch" to "lucky" or whatever but the "nice shot" example I used is one that I'm pretty sure actually came up in Zyuranger or Jetman.

What difference does the show it was used in make out of interest?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Pinwiz11 posted:

He did do separate translations for Fourze after completing work on the week's episode for OT... one was extra graphical and the other was the extra graphics plus additional honorifics and the like.

Uh no. Other than the timing and a couple fonts, the scripts for Aesir and O-T's versions of Fourze were entirely different. Magenta did two versions: a regular version without fancy typesetting, and another version with fancy typesetting, neither of them had honorifics. He was also not involved in the translation of O-T's Fourze at all.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
http://www.jefusion.com/2013/04/metal-hero-keys-in-super-hero-taisen-z.html

I am very disappointed at the lack of a Gavan ranger key.

:argh:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Ignis posted:

Uh no. Other than the timing and a couple fonts, the scripts for Aesir and O-T's versions of Fourze were entirely different. Magenta did two versions: a regular version without fancy typesetting, and another version with fancy typesetting, neither of them had honorifics. He was also not involved in the translation of O-T's Fourze at all.

My bad. I don't stay abreast of the various fansub configurations. It can get confusing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

What difference does the show it was used in make out of interest?

Nothing but its distracting when a character makes a tricky shot with his pistol and someone else clearly says "nice shot!" to congratulate him, only to have that translated as "good shooting" or something like that. GUIS does it all the time and it always makes me go "wait what?" which is not what I want to be doing while watching a translated show. If you're going to say what difference does it make well then what difference do any of the various translation groups make? Even something like CAP's infamous Agito flub about the bible has no further impact on the plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Nothing but its distracting when a character makes a tricky shot with his pistol and someone else clearly says "nice shot!" to congratulate him, only to have that translated as "good shooting" or something like that. GUIS does it all the time and it always makes me go "wait what?" which is not what I want to be doing while watching a translated show. If you're going to say what difference does it make well then what difference do any of the various translation groups make? Even something like CAP's infamous Agito flub about the bible has no further impact on the plot.

The reason is that "NICE SHOT" spoken in English (which is what I assume you're talking about) doesn't have the same context as someone saying "nice shot" would in an English series. One important thing to do with translating is maintain a consistent character voice so that every line the character says (to the best of one's ability) sounds like it comes from that character. A good translation is such that you could tell someone is saying something even without spoken dialogue just by the word choice/grammar choice/vocal tics.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I asked what difference it makes because the way you phrased it made it seem like it made a difference what show it was done in rather than which lines it was used on. Of course the choice of line makes a difference. I've never even watched anything by GUIS to know what they're doing, I was just offering a possible explanation.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But just keeping it as nice shot would have been perfectly fine for the character but GUIS never does that. OT does pretty often, as shown with a lot of KyoryuCyan's English dialogue being left as is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

But just keeping it as nice shot would have been perfectly fine for the character but GUIS never does that. OT does pretty often, as shown with a lot of KyoryuCyan's English dialogue being left as is.

The translator clearly disagrees in that case. Considering they're the one having to maintain the character voice, that's kind of important. It being done with a different character in a different show, even if it was the same translator, doesn't really matter. Different shows with different contexts can translate the same things in different ways.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

tsob posted:

I don't really know any examples of Japanese twisting of English off-hand, just going off what different Over-time member's have stated in various threads on /m/, but I'm sure someone here can throw some out if anyone cares.

Stand/sutando means lamp (as in lampstand).
Note/nooto means notebook. Yes, as in Death Notebook.
Mansion/manshon means large apartment. They have a Japanese word for actual mansions.
Salaryman is a word that Japan swears up and down is something English speakers say, despite them having made it up. It gets rendered directly at this point because we adopted it from them.

This is just off the top of my head. Rendering something out directly just because it's Engrish leads to problems. Cyan is Canadian, so his English is understandably very good, there wasn't really any need to change any of it. It's almost like context is more important than dogma.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Miss Kalle posted:

Hey shut up about subs for a minute, apparently Hurricanger is getting a 10th anniversary movie!

lol why are they doing this!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Tricky Twisty posted:

lol why are they doing this!
Apparently it was Nao Nagasawa's idea. :allears:

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Don't forget about "sense" for style, and "ice" for ice cream or popsicles, "cherry boy" for a virginal young man, and "roadshow" for a theatrical release of a movie.

Not only that, but a lot of loanwords that sound like they come from English actually don't. For instance "sukopu" being from the Dutch schop and not the english scoop. (it actually means a shovel)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Don't forget about "sense" for style, and "ice" for ice cream or popsicles, "cherry boy" for a virginal young man, and "roadshow" for a theatrical release of a movie.

Not only that, but a lot of loanwords that sound like they come from English actually don't. For instance "sukopu" being from the Dutch schop and not the english scoop. (it actually means a shovel)
And "Arubaito" from German "Arbeit" for part-time job.

Is that what Roadshow means? That's confused the hell out of me for so long, I thought it was like a promotional tour or something.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Should toku shows start using gopro style cameras?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
That'd make all the footage ugly as hell, so no.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Don't forget about "sense" for style

I'm having awful Den-O flashbacks.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So for someone who's interest in this genre was mainly fueled by watching Power Rangers as a kid (aka really only being exposed to the Western side of these shows,) what would be a good place to start for getting into this stuff? I won't say it looks impenetrable, but it's definitely dense, and something that would be hard to get a good foothold in without somewhere to start, at least.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

If you liked pr then start with sentai. They are all self-contained apart from the recent anniversary season so it doesn't really matter where you start. Just pick something you like the look of.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Welp.

If you're looking for this week's Kyoryu, go over to the resident Precure subbers.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

If you want to get into Sentai, I'd recommend grabbing the 7 episodes so far of Kyoryuger and following it weekly. Not that watching something that's finished isn't a good idea, but now's a great time to get into an ongoing show without having to spend ages watching previous episodes.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

PurplieNurplie posted:

So for someone who's interest in this genre was mainly fueled by watching Power Rangers as a kid (aka really only being exposed to the Western side of these shows,) what would be a good place to start for getting into this stuff? I won't say it looks impenetrable, but it's definitely dense, and something that would be hard to get a good foothold in without somewhere to start, at least.

The general recommendation I got from the thread was to start with Gokaiger. I'm coming from the same place as you (only really seen PR as a kid) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. As it's the anniversary season, the main gimmick is that the team can transform into the other Ranger teams from every previous series. Although this sounds like it would be detrimental to someone just starting, I'm actually finding it really cool to be able to see glimpses of the other sentai teams. Seeing them in action even momentarily at least gives me an opportunity to say "Hey, that looks cool" so I know what I might want to watch when I'm done with Gokaiger.

Also the tone is lighthearted without being patronising but throws in plenty of serious moments as well, they're space pirates with cool space pirate gear and the characters are all well-defined and pretty enjoyable to watch.

tl;dr start with Gokaiger I did and it's pretty neat

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Waffleman_ posted:

Welp.

If you're looking for this week's Kyoryu, go over to the resident Precure subbers.

That is beautiful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So, who's going to send in their Kyoryuger dance?

Also, I am so ready for the most powerful dad joke in the world.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 1, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

One thing I love about Sentai is it knows to get right into the action. They already are fighting 4 minutes in most of the time. You already know the power rangers formula of

Dumb intro that means nothing
comedy
Monsters talking
comedy characters doing poo poo
rangers meet the monster
"drama"
they fight again
zords

It's really repetitive because unlike Sentai the characters have no development through all of that. I just watched episode 2 of Kyoryuger and they did blue and pink in the same ep and ddin't make it feel half assed and without all the dumb "comedy". All of the comedy is done in battle where it belongs. They understand people watch to see the suit and fighting while power rangers thinks kids really loving love the actors for some reason. It also promotes the toys well without being intrusive. My 2 year old daughter love to watch Shinkenger with me but she cant stand to watch Megaforce/Samurai for more then 5 minutes.

RBX fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 1, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well it probably doesn't help that Megaforce/Samurai are probably the worst PR series ever, even by PR standards. Not even the dedicated PR podcast guys remotely like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I am so confused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7ho6wzTsg

• Locked thread