Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

You are on an extremely slippery slope to "TN: Keikaku = Plan" here.

On the other hand professional translators clearly agree this is the way to go!!

(Monster Hunter 3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes, a sixth ranger is almost always more powerful than the others and almost always gets a stronger focus for a while. It eventually fades away and in a good series the sixth ranger exist to help underline whatever the basic premise is.

Gai's thing is that, unlike the Gokaigers, he actually cares about heroics and super sentai and those sorts of things. That ends up being pretty important because the Gokaigers themselves don't really and he is necessary to help balance that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Nothing but its distracting when a character makes a tricky shot with his pistol and someone else clearly says "nice shot!" to congratulate him, only to have that translated as "good shooting" or something like that. GUIS does it all the time and it always makes me go "wait what?" which is not what I want to be doing while watching a translated show. If you're going to say what difference does it make well then what difference do any of the various translation groups make? Even something like CAP's infamous Agito flub about the bible has no further impact on the plot.

The reason is that "NICE SHOT" spoken in English (which is what I assume you're talking about) doesn't have the same context as someone saying "nice shot" would in an English series. One important thing to do with translating is maintain a consistent character voice so that every line the character says (to the best of one's ability) sounds like it comes from that character. A good translation is such that you could tell someone is saying something even without spoken dialogue just by the word choice/grammar choice/vocal tics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

But just keeping it as nice shot would have been perfectly fine for the character but GUIS never does that. OT does pretty often, as shown with a lot of KyoryuCyan's English dialogue being left as is.

The translator clearly disagrees in that case. Considering they're the one having to maintain the character voice, that's kind of important. It being done with a different character in a different show, even if it was the same translator, doesn't really matter. Different shows with different contexts can translate the same things in different ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The concept of sins is also a bit more involved with the series than the concept of crimes. Someone committing a crime is less important to the basic themes than someone doing something 'wrong.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W was really good about each form having a use. Xtreme was pretty win button at times but each of his existing forms continued to be useful and used fairly regularly.

Honestly W kind of ruined me on form changes in every successive series. It did a great job with making everything it had feel distinctive and unique while OOOs, Fourze and Wizard all feel quantity over quality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

So I've been watching Kamen Rider Double recently and I had a question regarding the costume designs of the MOTW. Do they get any better throughout the series because I'm at episode 8 right now and the design of Double is fantastic but none of the creatures he has fought look all that spectacular in motion.

Yeah, there are some excellent MotWs later on and guys like Nazca and Weather both look great and are reoccurring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toomanyninjas posted:

I was excited for Megaforce. I couldn't believe how bad Samurai was, but I chalked it up to the production team getting used to the property again after getting it back from Disney, so I figured MF would be a fair sight better. I couldn't even get through the first episode when I tried to watch it :( Are they adapting Goseiger as literally as they did Shinkenger? I never watched Goseiger, so I don't know.

I've been wondering if the quality means Saban might not be able get a new season produced, but maybe worrying about the quality of the show is a 30-year-old man concern that toy sales don't care about.

I haven't been watching but just from that clip I can tell you're they're not adapting it even remotely similarly. Literally everything there is different than in the original context.

The Warstar villains are still around despite the UMA being there, Gosei Knight is acting like a beep-boop robot and sounds like Robocop (which is loving bizarre considering there is a villain literally named after Robocop in the original Goseiger who is also a robot), the Mega Rangers don't appear to act anything like the Goseigers... basically they're using the footage and it seems like nothing else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agent Rush posted:

They were toxic mutants in Goseiger too, and the environmental message stuff was dropped pretty quickly after one clash between the Goseigers and Gosei Knight about it.

The environmental message continued basically throughout the entire series so I'm not sure what you mean there. Goseiger is hippy as gently caress.

The Uma were basically Captain Planet villains though, yes. Their gimmick was that they thrived in pollution and so all of their MotWs had some sort of pollution theme.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agent Rush posted:

Gosei Knight attacks a factory once while blaming humans for the reappearance of the Umajuu. I don't remember anyone else bringing up the idea that humans were at fault afterwards, as opposed to blaming the current crop of monsters who wanted to destroy/enslave the planet. The Umajuu were also based on cryptids as well as pollution, hence the U.M.A. portion of the name for anyone who didn't know.

Gosei Knight has multiple occasions where he blames humans in general for being fuckups, although only to that extreme of attacking them once. His arc is basically him going from "man, gently caress humans, ya'll are ruining this planet" to "Huh, maybe humans aren't so bad." It plays into the fact that He is Bladerun's Headder and Bladerun has basically the same mindset times a thousand because he's a giant rear end in a top hat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

I finished Shikenger a couple weeks ago and i'm gonna do a write up on it, Gokaiger, and Kyoryuger when I stop being lazy.

Starting Ohranger and it's fuckin badass. I love the feel of older Sentai, the grittyness, washed out colors, cool rear end monsters, and how the team doesn't dance and laugh their way through every fight.

From what I understand about Ohranger, be prepared for massive disappointment. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Here's something I found recently, english versions of Sentai openings (Some of which actually sound pretty good). Not sure if there are anymore but here's what I found:

Carranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL7da4mOTxk

Megaranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyGO7nXWKA&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=2

Gingaman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGmHqLlQrA&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=1

GoGoV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWpw2-OPnbU&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=3

Timeranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_boO281nE

I don't know about the others but the English Carranger OP (I don't know if it's that particular one) actually shows up in an episode of the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

What episode was that? I'm pretty sure the Megaranger OP is from Megaranger Vs Carranger and apparently the Gingaman theme shows up in episode 43 of its respective series. Not sure about the GoGoV or Timeranger ones though.

I can't remember. It just shows up during one of the episodes when they do the "music cues up, Carranger starts kicking rear end" thing only they use the English version instead of the Japanese one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Blackest Goon posted:

also when does ryo stop being a miserable piece of poo poo?

Ryo's purpose in the world is for the universe to poo poo on him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Liar is one of my favorite designs from that show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

How you guys remember MOTWs so easily?

W has a lot of really distinctive monster of the week so it's pretty easy, especially since each is described by a single English word that embodies their concept. I can't remember many monster of the weeks but W's are easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

Thankfully the story, opening theme, Rider design, and Phillip make up for everything. My friend was over today, he doesn't watch toku, I asked him to watch episode 5 with me and he was like "So the girl and boy join bodies? Does he get tits under the suit?" :ssh:

Even the show treats him that way. Philip is just a very very pretty man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

This is Accel.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/624/my_parents_are_deeaaaaaad.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOps4qA5rM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eptx-YySLL8

Give him some time. He's got worthwhile as hell payoff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

I appreciate TV-N telling us exactly what the character said and then explaining the pun...but O-T's certainly reads better in-the-moment.

They didn't tell you what he said though. He is telling a joke. That is not a joke. That is him literally saying something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The villains, on the other hand, are completely predictable catchphrase sprouters and they are no fun at all.

Man, I haven't even seen much of Kyoryuger and I know this is wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fred is on posted:

As I remember it, W had a lot of "filler" episodes like most Rider/Sentai shows, but it peppers them with little bits of the bigger picture (as B- or C-plots usually involving the Sonozaki family) so it's harder to notice, and the show rarely ever gets boring, which distracts from how the case of the week is basically inconsequential. Really, I could probably watch 800 episodes of the Narumi Agency folks just solving random monster crimes forever.

drat it, I hope they can make another series as good as W one day. :smith:

Yeah, this is something that stands out about W.

Even if the main plot of the episode isn't plot-related, there is some sort of subplot or important characterization element going on. Even the episodes like Heaven's Tornado are important because they dedicate a lot of time to developing one of the main characters. It means the show is always progressing even if it's shrouded in a less important thing.

jivjov posted:

Its a defensible position though. I prefer TV-N in some aspects, O-T in others.

It isn't though. They failed to translate the joke. There's no joke there. It is like translating someone saying "It's cool, man" as "It is chilly, sir." You got the literal description of what they said but completely missed the intent.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 6, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

As someone who enjoys wordplay, I can respect keeping the translation literal and providing an explanation. I wholeheartedly agree that O-T's method is way better in terms of watchability, but I do like reading TV-N's translations.

They don't even translate the wordplay correctly all the time though. So you're not even getting that unless you already know Japanese.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Already three episodes in and I'm really digging Goseiger :)

If you're three episodes in and digging it then you're going to love it because Goseiger seriously just gets better as it goes on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fred is on posted:

Would the movie make any sense to someone who's only seen a few episodes of Go-Busters? It seems pretty great, but I'm not going to be watching the series for a while.

I never saw an episode of Gobusters after the first one and I found it perfectly watchable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm new to all this, but I started with Kamen Rider Black, and it entertained the hell out of me and got me thinking "I want more of this; where do I go from here?", so it worked as a starting point for me.

I'm working my way through the beginning of Kamen Rider W based on recommendations from this thread and having a blast. One thing I didn't think of beforehand but am noticing is that I like the simplicity of the W costume (even given the half-and-half gimmick; sell those toys, son!), which is one similarity it has with Black, even if the tone of the shows is different. They both have a very clean design that I find very appealing; some of the other Riders in that picture have much more busy designs.

Also, Chojin Sentai Jetman is good, campy fun so far. It was recommended to me on my appreciation of Black's earnestness, and what I've seen has a similar quality.

Thanks for the recs, guys!

The actor who plays Shotaro's favorite Kamen Rider is Black, and he actually asks for some Black-related in-jokes that you'll see later on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Gentaro is the best lead in the franchise.

Gentaro is a good lead but his supporting cast tends to get underutilized outside of the movies which hurts him too.

He really does shine in the movies though because his cast gets to actually do stuff. I even kind of liked Ryusei in the new movie. Maybe it was just because he was alongside Haruto, the amazing man born without charisma.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Why are we assuming that's the case? I thought they combined Goseiger and Gokaiger because Goseiger was too terrible to carry an entire season.

Yeah, no, that's pretty unlikely, especially because Goseiger was a good series. :colbert:

The reason for the split was more likely that Gokaiger didn't have enough usable content. A huge chunk of it is made up of nostalgic callbacks to shows or situations which didn't get an English release. By combining the two shows you get enough content to use the parts of Gokaiger you want to use but not the parts which are less workable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

So Movie War Ultimatum...I'm not completely wrong in thinking that it's not very good, right?

The Fourze part is fun as a sort of simple post-series epilogue but the rest... eh.

Haruto just murders the energy of a scene any time he shows up. He's like a sentai villain only real, sucking the life from all things around him. Presumable after someone blows him up all the excitement and energy will return to Wizard as a series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I really wanted was more Shotaro hanging out with Gentaro. That was basically the best part of that movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm just saying that the burden of proof is on them, not that they have any obligation to teach me.

You're seriously arguing they do though. That their obligation is to give you breakdowns of what exactly is wrong with the scrubs. People here who literally work on translating these shows go "no, seriously, this scrub is trash." If that isn't good enough for you then keep watching it and recommending it, but don't get upset when those people continue to go "this is trash."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This really all sounds like it's flat out of ideas.

W made sense. Two-sided rider powered by memories who literally transforms using USB memory sticks. It's a bit on-the-nose with the USB stick but understandable.
OOOs was a bit odder. Three-tone ride who has medals that are animal themed. Not exactly the most coherent but okay, there's some thematic consistancy there.
Fourze was a space rider who used space shuttle blastoff switches to use gadgets. Overblown but whatever it makes sense.
Wizard is a magician who uses magic rings. Fine, nothing weird there. He does have that bizarre-rear end handshake theme though but at least wizard + magic rings makes sense.

Gaimu is a Samurai with fruit-themed powers who transforms with a lock? What the gently caress. Maybe they'll somehow make that coherent with setting details but I have no idea how.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 24, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So to be clear about this:

The plot of Kamen Raider Gaim is that in a corporate-controlled new city, street dancers and Pokemon battling are the primary forms of entertainment. A group of street dancers turn into fruit-themed samurai and knights in order to battle rampaging out-of-control Pokemon.

I just want to be sure I am clear on that concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morning TokuGoons, gotta question: Has there ever been an explanation over the low ratings OhRanger supposedly got? I heard it almost single-handedly ended the franchise :-(

I have a friend who has been watching Ohranger and has given a pretty good explanation of why:

Ohranger began with the idea that the villains were terrorists and legitimately threatened the cast and people and apparently it was pretty good. Then, early in the show's run, the Tokyo Subway Sarin Gas terrorist attack happened. Suddenly, uh, they weren't exactly allowed to keep showing the villains being legitimate serious terrorists and frantically rushed to retool the show. The retooled show sucked hard because they basically had to drop everything they had planned for the show. That, combined with other factors, basically cornholed the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A cowboy Sentai would probably actually not be that good.

Looks like someone needs to watch Kakuranger. :colbert:

(Jiraiya is the best Black.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 1, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryu is basically the only character I've ever hated at first glance who I eventually came to really like. I still don't know how they managed to pull that off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

I like Ryu, but his relationship with Akiko kind of comes up out of nowhere.

His movie is definitely my favorite Rider movie.

It doesn't really come out of nowhere, it's just (weirdly) subtly built up. There's no giant dramatic love moment they just end up in a relationship after spending a bunch of time together. Which is incredibly realistic but the last place anyone expects to see realistic non-melodramatic dating is in a children's show about costumed superheroes who transform with USB devices.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On epi. 12 of W.

when does the plot REALLY start? :v:

i mean ive been enjoying the case-of-the-week format so far but im REALLY looking forward to the meat of the story, so I ask TokuGoons:

When are they going to get the the firework factory?

The plot has been going on the entire time. While the cases of the week happen, character or plot development happens in basically each one which is important for setting up later events.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the sperglord in me just wants every Kamen Rider show to be grimdark, i guess

Agito had a perfect balance of serious and humor

W is literally about a group of evil drug dealers working to get innocent people addicted to their drugs and includes multiple onscreen murders, including of major characters. It isn't quite Agito-level death but it's got its share of things getting real.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also I wouldn't call them drug dealers so much as arms dealers

You may not have gotten that far yet but Gaia Memories are really explicitly drug metaphor and there are several episodes which make it very very blatant. They're weapons too of course but the primary metaphor they use is seriously addictive drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Dairanger 49: Ha ha! You, the person who openly opposed me on several occasions and repeatedly got in my way, are actually my clay puppet made to do my every bidding as part of the most circuitous plan ever devised!

It gets more incoherent.

• Locked thread