Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have watched Kamen Rider Gaim because Gen Urobouchi wrote it.

I was not able to finish it because even after I decided it wasn't just a weaker retread of all of Madoka's ideas I got tired of Kaito saying STRONG all the time. (I suspect he has that "I love being STRONG!" horse poster in his room that won't come up in GIS)

When several of the few characters I actually liked revealed they agreed with his insane gibberish at the end of episode twenty I was out.

Pity, I really liked the theme song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Potsticker posted:

Still two less episodes than "Let's introduce every single cast member in two episode arcs for the beginning of Fourze which just dragged on when watching it week to week. There has been mention that it's not so bad if you binge through it, but it soured me on Fourze a little in the beginning.

except those are characters and not toy ads, and not only that they're characters that will be interacting with Gen for the rest of the entire story so it's important to get to know them and why they appreciate him? And it's more interesting to have a character at least have an arc at the beginning than to have them all be perfect coming in?

I haven't seen this wizard poo poo except the first couple of episodes (which were stupid) but it does not sound like defensible storytelling.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I suspect Hina was going to be explained in the original plot given the first meeting with the lady who runs the restaurant (setting things up so that the door could only be opened with lots of force, saying she'd always wanted to meet a "power-type", implies that people like Hina are part of the world OOO is set in)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
yeah so I watch tokus now, tokus are fun, they're like the silver age of comics.

I have a toku question though: Why do the modern kamen riders get so much lighter so recently.

I just watched three episodes of 555 and it's this bizarre parade of death and misery and possibly the worst protagonist ever, episode 2 had someone jump off a building to try to kill himself, episode 3 involves a girl being abused by her parents and then dying at the end and this is a loving kids show in japan or am I actually watching Candle Cove.

the other pre-decade shows I've seen an episode or two of also seemed to have much higher deathcount in general, even Den-O, and then suddenly in W things are basically toneally more similar to a normal western superhero cartoon or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Poison Mushroom posted:

Recognition of the target audience. Modern Kamen Rider exists as a vehicle to sell toys, so making the series acceptable for younger children means broadening how many kids NEED your new $200 deluxe super belt and playset come Christmas.

But it's like they suddenly realized this right before W, and I'm not sure what they were trying to do before that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I've seen some Kuuga and I felt like it was far more coherent than Faiz. Really my problem with it is that it makes too much sense. I kinda like how these shows throw out a lot of "why"s and "how"s that western superheros have. They just throw a bunch of unrecognizable crazy poo poo in your face and don't explain anything until halfway through the entire series instead of explaining the comic book biology of how peter parker's spider powers come from spider dna and how the police attempt to handle threats and why he needs a secret identity and all that.

Kuuga's exploring the hows and whys of being a kamen rider and actually addressing that kind of thing. That's fine. It's just a bit more conventional to western hero stories that I know of already.

I'm kind of just like "the gently caress am I watching" with Kamen Rider Cellphone Man who doesn't actually care about fighting monsters or helping people and only cares about his bag of gay pants.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
yeah the part of drive where not only the toy cars are collectibles but sapient collectables and there's a scene with a sad toy car in the rain was particularly insane

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
fun tune but I was hoping for it to be more hip hop like the belt announcements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
no I think that the theme song's images and all that will be a lot of fun especially during the chorus/showing off the henshin part of it, the creators are good at those little mini music videos. I just thought ghost hip hop would be neat.

• Locked thread