Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Kamen Rider OOO might legitimately be one of my favorite television shows of all time.

Fourze was good too.

ToQger remains strong to me, and I think with the momentum they're building the finale is going to be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Some Numbers posted:

A bland protagonist, much more interesting secondary characters and an incredibly dull and plodding middle portion?

I actually thought- spoilers since someone was asking what to watch and I don't want to spoil it for them- the fact you could kind of view all of Kamen Rider OOOs as The Hero's Journey of Goto through the eyes of some random secondary character was part of why I liked the show so much. The show can be either about Eiji or kind of about Goto and I enjoy both versions

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Rei_ posted:

make for really funny uses of Dream Vegas and Dimension Cab I guess

Dream Vegas and Dimension Cab, especially Dream Vegas, are like the most freaky things if you stop to think about how Drive's entire torso is like, stretching when the extra wheels show up on Dream Vegas

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think whether or not I keep watching Drive will depend almost entirely on how they resolve the 7/8 cliffhanger.

there's at least three things that happened in 7 that I feel like should be addressed or something.

The Roidmude's 'unstable form'
Why was Drive Randomly doubled over and coughing when he transformed? He didn't do that before.
The whole flowers stuff, obviously.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I really liked ToQGer this week, but then again I like it every week.

Really excited to see how it heads into the home stretch, because a lot of stuff seems to be building up. Next episode seems to be kind of fillery though.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

jivjov posted:

I'm really happy to see Akira's Zaram-form continuing to pop up from time to time. I would not have been surprised to see that get dropped.

It is honestly a neat thing how they make it a worthwhile thing. He's stronger as ToQ 6 but the fact that Dark Stations and other things exist mean his Shadow Line form is still useful. I wonder if they intended that from the start with the whole 30 second time limit and inability to change lines or it just ended up a happy coincidence.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

White looks like a girl to me? Are they? Would be cool if so.

Drive was good this week, I kind of hope Type Technique does some stupid Autoshutdown on a Roidmude and like shuts it down by breaking it's CPU or something. I feel like 'Master of Machines' plus their mechanical base means something like that could happen. Basically I want him to Vulcun Nerve Pinch a monster to death.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

ToQGer 38 is...a thing.

It's not...bad. But it was kind of weak. It might just be because it was entirely filler, like I was worried it was going to be, so there's basically no villain presence. Some of the jokes were okay though.

Next episode looks amazing though, and ToQGer versus Kyoryuger is rapidly approaching.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Loving that mecha. It looks like it's mostly Red based from the looks of it so I wonder if it's a Gokaiger style situation where the rest of the mechs are inside red. Probably depends on how the bottom of the mech looks.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

SpazmasterX posted:

It's blurry as gently caress so I'm not gonna post it, but basically it looks like each of the mecha can become the central unit of different combined formations. For example, the dragon mecha can go in the center and red becomes the arm to give the combined formation a more bestial look and stance. The different shurikens go on the heads of each combination.

Oh and the pink mecha looks like it might be a bullet train, and becomes a leg and an arm.

that sounds supremely neat, to have the ability for each ranger to have essentially their own 'specialized' mecha.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Xelkelvos posted:

Is there a theme for all of this mecha, because it seems pretty all over the place right now.

Cool Awesome Things That Turn Into Cool Awesome Things

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

jivjov posted:

On this week's ToQger, Akira goes full Zubat.

I love that you can tell even as a member of the Shadowline Akira was basically the exact same person who tried to take everything super seriously but screwed it up either by being way too serious or not realizing how hilarious he looks in his silly/super manly cowboy costume.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Twelve by Pies posted:

I finally got caught up with ToQger and all I can say is I am very impatient for episode 40 because it looks like some crazy poo poo is going down.

ToQger is fantastic and the filler episode of 38 really hurt it but I feel like everything is about to crash down gloriously and be amazing.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Solaris Knight posted:

Which episodes after 35 are the good plot ones?

basically everything that isn't 38 til now is good story stuff, I think.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

There's still Shadowtowns they haven't cleaned, considering there are still some Chess Shadows that haven't shown up. Not sure how it's going to play into but I bet they can't finish this up until they get rid of all of the shadow towns.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Things called King and Queen Shadow definitely sound like the kind of last minute super reinforcements the badguys usually get in the last 7 or so episodes.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

I dunno. Between his over-the-top Bruce Lee yells, his actually-pretty-decent mini-redemption-arc, and his upgrade being a goddamn Beyblade, it's kinda hard to stay mad at the guy.

Also the first Kyoto Episode. That entire thing he was doing was amazing.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Raserys posted:

Is that one of those summer movie event things? The general impression I get is that OOO isn't a super great series, if I need to I'll look stuff up on the internet.

OOO is really really good.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

doesn't he also have a Type: Deadheat or something too?

EDIT: ToQGer 41 is amazing. There's only one way this entire sequence could be better; if Super ToQ1 versus ToqQ6 Zed went on a bit longer

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 27, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

It's neat in the new Kamen episode that when all three of the Type Cars are in the scene together Mr. Belt's voice echoes three times.

Really sad that they didn't include the Benny Hill Music for the chase scene, but the fact they immediately swapped to full on spaghetti western when the Roidmude showed up almost made up for it. I also don't really know what to make of Mach yet. He seems so far out there that you aren't supposed to take him seriously.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

Between Meteor, both Birth, and Accel, secondary riders you can't take seriously are the rule, not the exception.

(For reference, I love all of them, especially Date, but oh Lord are they goofs.)

I definitely think the difference between Meteor, Birth, and him is that he's a lot smugger. Like Meteor was an rear end for his arc but I wouldn't call him 'Smug', which is an odd thing to say. He looked down on people but didn't taunt them or anything like that, he just had a mission he was trying to complete. This was kind of similar to Date in personality, maybe with Meteor a bit more on the 'lecturing Fourze about what he's doing wrong' and Date more unwilling to co-operate.

Mach is just crazy smug so I feel like part of his arc is he's going to get in over his head and Drive will have to bail him out.

VVV- It seems like almost all of the music and sound ques in this season are just spot on at all times. It's all really good

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

ImpAtom posted:

Meteor was absolutely smug. Not to their faces (because he was Ryusei) but in his asides he was very much "stupid people, heh."

well that's what I mean as the difference. Ryusei didn't usually go 'hah, you're a moron', while Gou very much does that. it's a different kind of smugness, I guess.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

It was honestly impressive that even while trying to make a silly joke they pause to point out that the Emperor has so much darkness that it literally infested Right's clothing just by getting into a fight with him.

But then Akira makes everything amazing. Holy poo poo his gloves have blinking lights on them.

I do kind of hope they get back into the action soon though, this was a cute episode but I am totally ready for the action packed finale that I know is coming. I guess it's actually a real issue since Zed kind of killed all his subordinates so there's none left for the ToQGers to destroy.

Ending of this episode was great. I actually didn't notice how close in appearance Right and Daiki Ise are until they were standing next to each other, they could be brothers.

And it looks like next Episode's Shadow is King Shadow, like I thought, so probably Queen Shadow in 44 and then 3 episodes of the Finale?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I really like ToQGer. I even admitted there are points I enjoyed it way more then Kyoryuger. But Kyoryuger is still good. I would echo that Shikenger and Gokaiger are both really good, and I like Gekiranger too, though I think at least the main 3 suits are kind of bland for my tastes.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cernunnos posted:

Gaim either shot the fights-in-reused-locations really well so I didn't notice them or they actually only had 1 fight in the quarry and 1 in the run-down warehouse and that's it.

wasn't part of the final fight in the run down warehouse? I also feel like it showed up at least one other time but I don't remember when

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

didn't the TVN Kyoryuger subs also like totally miss the word play on calling them Braves and just went for the generic 'Hero'?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Brother Entropy posted:

Yeah, uh, 'brave' as a noun for a person has a pretty distinct racial connotation in America which makes that situation a pretty good example of why you don't always want to translate as literally as you can.

True. I had thought it was an interesting idea, but I also understand it's entirely possible such a thing could be highly offensive. I guess it's better to err on the side of caution in this case. I must have been watching Over Time subs but I wasn't downloading them at the time, just watching them.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I thought that all the posts in the thread meant everyone had come around to admitting that ToQGer is amazing and maybe better then Kyoryuger.

I was wrong

Zedd posted:

Somebody explain this one to me please, genuine question. (European here)

Native American Warriors were called Braves, off of the French Bravo. I think. That was how it was explained to me when I asked about the origin of the term.

It could be taken as insulting to the Native American Tribes to take their wording for their Warriors. I think? I'm not entirely sure myself but that's my best guess.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

Oh my God, this is the best derail. :allears:

I was hating it for a bit but nope it turned around super loving fast please continue :allears:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Goddammit you have the exact same tastes as me now I loving have to watch ToQger.

ToQGer is really good god damnit! I say it every week! :argh:

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 8, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Dexie posted:

http://www.orendsrange.com/2015/01/japanese-spiderman-makes-his-official.html

gently caress yeah SUPAIDAMAN!

Too bad he's going to get killed off like every other spider in this dumb event.

So this article says soemthing about 'Cosmic Champion Spiderman' Or something. I have no idea what that is.

I am assuming it is basically a rip off of the Phoenix Force or something, right? A Cosmically powerful version of Spiderman who only exists to get chumped out by whatever crossover villian has shown up to show how strong they are?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

toanoradian posted:

So I stopped watching ToQGer about episode...30? Last events I remember is that general falling into a river, Zed shows his monster form, the kids go to the 'shadow realm' or something and Red finally get a goofy-looking super suit golden train. I remember liking them so far then, although not as much as I love Kyoryuger. Is it worth getting back?

yes.

It has gotten a lot better. There are some annoying filler bits. Episode 39 I think is the worst, but the show is so good.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Volatile Penguin posted:

I'm guessing it's just a pun on "gao"/roar.

I believe this is correct.

Also that movie was...okay?

It wasn't as good as the most recent ToQGer episodes. Definitely something that fit into the middle of the series.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

jivjov posted:

Get hype for next week's ToQger guys

That suit has 1 on it. I think that's Right, not ToQ7

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The actual reason to be excited about next week

Chou ToQ6!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Burkion posted:

Now that's a Neo Showa design. I wish the original two would get upgrades similar to him.

Can you explain what this Kamen Rider 3 thing is? Like what's the difference between this guy and whoever the Third Kamen Rider was?

I don't really get it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

That was neat, though it should be noted it takes like a minute and a half to start. I thought I was watching the wrong video for a bit.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I have a question.

I go to the Kamen Rider Wiki every now and then to read about stuff I missed, and I noticed that, at least for Drive, all of the forms and shift Cars have like, listed stats of punching and kicking power, jump height, and speed.

where do these figures even come from?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

either the dude on the bottom left has god level shoulder pads or he has four arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cliff Racer posted:

Only when the plot requires it to. By midway through the series they'd thankfully stopped doing it for the most part.

edit: And my collectables post was actually directed about having lower hopes for Ninninger than it was for TQGer where I already know I am getting a subpar series even if its worst aspects got minimized around episode 29 or so.

From what I can understand, Re; Collectables, The '48 Magic Sealing Shuriken' are actually what the bad guy uses to make his monsters, not collectables.

• Locked thread