Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Race Realists posted:

Finished OOO few minutes ago. All of the supporting cast were fantastic. Don't know why they felt the need to make Maki the final boss though. That guy was rad...

Should I watch Fourze? Is it worth watching? Does it have an actual ending?
Depends on what you're searching for. People searching for ~dark and edgy~ series will hate Fourze, but if you're searching for a fun, energetic, Gurren Lagann-ish (Kazuki Nakashima is the main writer, alongside W's very own Riku Sanjou), then I definitely can't recommend Fourze enough. I loved that series.

Also Movie Wars Ultimatum is great and the first Movie Wars that doesn't have an awful part, the entirety of the movie is great, and if you liked OOO, then you should at least watch that (though I definitely recommend watching Fourze first, since it's both a great series and the movie will make a lot more of sense that way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kuso Meriken posted:

I'm 15 minutes into Ultimatum and I'm loving the hell the out of it. Thank you HKR for your comment that convinced me to watch it.

Also makes me a little wistful since I gave up on Wizard and I'm not so sure about Gaim yet. At least I still have OOOs and W to finish...
Ultimatum is the best Movie Wars to date, so enjoy it! The previous ones aren't bad either, but they always have that one part that doesn't match how good the rest is (Decade in the first, OOO in the second), and lame crossovers that don't live up to the W portion.

Also I don't blame you on giving up on Wizard, it's a really dull series. Even in Ultimatum, I was crying for Fourze to start while watching the Wizard part. I have hope for Gaim, though! And W and OOO are great series and you should finish them, even if OOO gets a bit dull during the mid-part.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

Well Beast is about as close as you can get to Gentaro unfortunately. That being said, I would watch a show featuring both of them.
Perhaps it could even make Nitou relevant to the whole story instead of just awkwardly fitting him into episodes and making him important two episodes before the finale!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Race Realists posted:

Sooo... Den-O.

Pass? Watch? Decent ending? what say you, Tokugoons?
Pass: Ehh...watch it, I guess.
Watch: See pass.
Decent ending: Hahahahahah. No. No, not at all. In fact, there's no such thing as an ending for Den-O. Just more and more movies that should simply not exist.

Seriously though, watch the series, it's not bad. It's not nearly as good as Japan's undying love for it makes it look, but, ending fatigue aside, it's not a bad series. It's on the comedy side to be sure, and not quite as good as Fourze in that regard, but it's not bad, if you can stomach the humour and time travel. Also the music's cool.

In short: it's no Wizard (insert another boring Rider series if you're, in some weird way, a Wizard fan), but it's no (insert your favourite Rider series here).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really hope next year's Sentai also has ten rangers so we get a 20-man roll call in the team-up movie.
Clearly, rather than that, we need a Dekaranger vs Kyoryuger. Bring back DekaGold and DekaBright, as completely pointless as they were.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I watch TVN subs in a vague hope that they'll remember they're meant to translate stuff to English.

Surprisingly, that hope may be becoming true. Their Kyoryuger translation, stupid naming aside (Kyouryuuger? Seriously, guys?), has not left a single thing in Japanese (apart from the title, which I know some subbers do translate, but that's something I honestly dislike), which is pretty drat impressive from a group that wouldn't translate "kita" in Fourze because they just could not accept they got the context wrong (and goddamn this is probably what annoyed me the most of TVN all these years - likely because I was a teenager when I watched their older, even worse subs, and I loved that they left so much in Japanese, thankfully age has taught me this is bad).

They still have a problem with awkward lines though ("You'll be surprised when you hear!" is blatantly wrong, for instance, and even I, who knows no Japanese whatsoever, can easily see this), but overall, there's some improvement. In fact, most examples I see insulting TVN tend to be of old subs. I'm not defending TVN here (because, again, they've got a lot to fix), but they have been improving, and so I'll keep hope and not fall into despair because then Wizard might appear and holy poo poo was that a dull show.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AzraelNewtype posted:

Nope, absolutely no untranslated Japanese every single time this character opens his mouth.

Also Kyouryuuger is a perfectly acceptable romanization of the name. Possibly a better one, because it at least preserves the fact that both vowels are long. It's kind of ugly though, yeah. Kyōryūger would probably be better than either, except it's hard to count on people understanding what macrons mean. Also it's annoying to input and would rely on find/replace :v:.
Eh, the Utchy thing is a verbal tic, it's not that big of a deal for me (though how they're absolutely inconsistent about it is).
And I know that Kyouryuuuuger is an acceptable romanization, but it's so annoying to see. I've managed to filter it now, but it annoyed me enough to actually post on TVN's forums about it (alongside using Kyouryuujin over Kyoryuzin when it's spelled that way on screen, even if Japan tends to be rather bad at this whole romanization business).

quote:

"You'll be surprised when you hear" is actually less wrong than our translation, for reasons (kiite odoroke was treated as a shortened version of the line in the OP, because they guessed backward about which would get more play), it's just terribly worded.
It's still really awkward. For something that's meant to be showy, it just does not work.

quote:

As for improvement? Well... I don't know about that.
I don't agree on how awkward some of the lines are, but I definitely agree on others.

Mistranslations are another matter entirely though. It's amazing how different TVN's Kaito seems to be from how he's meant to be (and how bad their opening is, jeez). I know next to no Japanese, so I hadn't noticed just how many mistakes there were.

I think I'll actually restart Gaim now, because this changes the series something fierce, and I've actually been really enjoying it! After what a disappointment Wizard was, Gaim is really enjoyable. Aesir's subs look really good, so I'll stick with them, unless there's another good choice (since I know next to nothing about subbing groups because part of me really, really hoped and still hopes for TVN to get better, and I'm too lazy to search for others).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just want to say that the new album of Kyoryuger is wonderful, especially Bragigas' theme (and Torin's theme doesn't fall behind either!). I can't stand Amy's, though, but you can't win them all.

AesirSubs has the translations for almost all of the soundtrack too (all of the Carnivals, Solid Bullet, Bragigas and Torin, at least, and those are all you should care about. And the Amy song, I guess...). Just lacking Souji's, another great song (if not quite as great as Solid Bullet).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheGreenAvenger posted:

I'm sad they seemed to mistake Splash for Slash, though. The song has no reason whatsoever to be called splash and every reason to be called slash.
Oddly enough, the lyrics scans (page 3 & 4) properly say SLASH, but the song is named SPLASH. Oh well, it's easily fixed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Am I missing something that indicates the Kaigers in that image? The Zyurangers have been confirmed to return, so I thought this just meant that the Abarengers would be returning too for all Dino-reunion. Kyoryunion.
You're missing nothing, since AbaRed and AbareBlue are also confirmed to appear, so those are the true Zyurangers and Abarangers. No Gokaiger here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AzraelNewtype posted:

There's at least three groups that are taking the Ęsir Subs and editing them, two to make them more literal (in questionable ways, as neither really speaks Japanese), and one to turn the looseness to 11. Also there's a dude doing basically TVN level dry subs as of this week, though his accuracy is at least acceptable rather than completely offensive, so people who just really hate their English subtitles reading as if they were written by a native English speaker have an option.
I hate my subs putting jokes that weren't there in the first place (Pulperize? Seriously? It's not even funny) and ruining actually meaningful connections just to preserve a joke that wouldn't have made any difference in the series (the whole Sengoku Driver/Ryoma thing). I'm not even touching Ornac since part of me knows it was the best thing to do there, but another part hates the idea of changing the names of characters, and neither is going to agree with each other.

(Nonetheless the Aesir subs aren't bad at all, mind you, they're a big step forward from TVN, and I fully recommend them if you like their style of translation)

I also didn't find NDA nearly as "dry" as you make it look. If anything, I'd say that the one ep they subbed was quite good. Then again, I also don't find TVNihon dry, so I guess I'm just accustomed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pretty sure the phrase used by the belt is a pun that doesn't translate 1-1 so either you throw awkward and try to 1-1 or make a pun that works in English and means something close to the original pun.
Is it? I just hear it say "funsai destroy", which literally translates to "pulverize destroy". I can't find any sources saying there's any sort of joke there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

We both stand by "pulperize." I guess I'm vaguely sorry you didn't appreciate it. Many people did.
That's fine. I just don't see the point in adding a joke that wasn't there in the first place (nor think is right, actually, but to each their own).

Caphi posted:

Do you not think that "Sengoku" sounding like Warring States is meaningful? How did you come to that judgment? Can you claim that it definitely isn't meaningful, and back that proposition up? More to the point, how do you know Ryoma's name is meaningful, or at least more meaningful than the Warring States flavor? And if it is, how has Aesir has "ruined" it when it hasn't even been said as of episode 8?
You seem to misunderstand. Of course the Sengoku period thing is absolutely important, the fact that it's written with XTREEEME (oh god Double flashbacks), which you kept with the umlaut, is not. It's just a fun joke.

On the other hand, that it's named the same as Ryoma, who made it, is definitely important. You can't really say it's not.

I went overboard on the "ruined" thing, and I'm sorry for that. I do thank you for showing me how bad TV Nihon's subs were, and I'm sticking with your subs because, the things I've pointed out aside, they're still pretty good and you've done a great job with this! I just wanted to voice the things I did not agree with, and Aesir's comment section is...not the best place for it (because it's full of people that get incredibly aggresive for a little kid's show. Did anyone compare you guys to Hitler yet?). This is probably a really bad place for it too, but since I knew you had an account here, I hoped you'd read it. I just came across as far more aggresive than I should have, so once again, I'm sorry.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gokaioh had several scenes in which it looked quite nimble (perhaps shown the most as Deka Gokaioh), and Kyoryuzin could actually move a lot in the first few episodes, but then seemed to lose that ability entirely (I'm going to guess the reason is "budget", as per usual with Sentai and Kamen Rider).

It's sad because Kyoryuger has no excuse to not have super-moving robots. It's a series about dancing! The dinosaurs are dancing too, the ending says so!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Knowing well how that colour and/or number changing gimmick works is literally the only thing I care about in this Sentai. The suits have basically made me stop caring entirely, plus I'm enjoying Kyoryuger too much to want it to end.

However, I also thought Kyoryuger would be awful at first, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it, so I'll give it a chance. I mean, I also thought Goseiger would be good, see how that went!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll add my two cents and say that Dekaranger was my first Sentai too, and I loved the hell out of it, so I can definitely say it's a great starting Sentai.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade starts horribly, but holy poo poo does it get awesome later on. Its finale is still one of my favourites, if not my all-time favourite even now (Double, Ryuki, if you just hadn't pushed the reset button...), so it'd be great to see good subs and a video with actual quality (holy poo poo were some TVN episodes hard to watch because of how bad the quality of the video was).

Also I didn't find that one episode NDA subbed of Gaim that bland (but I'm good at ignoring that apparently), and seeing its being corrected by someone else anyways (never saw anything from GUIS, so I can't say anything about their quality, but apparently they're good?), I see no good reason to not look forward to this.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 18, 2013

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rei_ posted:

It's funny because I went into Jetman not knowing it was him, and that, at one point, he actually wrote good Toku. At one point someone falls into a river and gets amnesia and I was like 'Heh, so that's where Inoue got that from...' And then I looked at the credits and I was like WHAAAAAAAA
The fun thing about toku, pretty much everyone known for lovely series has also written great ones. Inoue is the most blatant example, writing Jetman, loved amongst Sentai fans (and which I still haven't finished watching, I'll definitely do so once Summer starts), but also writing things like Faiz.

It leaves you in this weird spot in which the same person is responsible for Shinkenger and Den-O.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not entirely sure how anyone could think that Kabuto gets better with time. If anything, it's all the opposite, apart from a small spike in quality once Gatack is introduced, the series gets progressively worse, and by the end it's nothing but a collosal trainwreck, leadered by an absolutely invincible, perfect and totally unlikable Tendou.

I still think that it had some really good concepts, but the execution was absolutely flawed. If only it had been Kamen Rider Gatack instead, at least I could like the protagonist...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

everythingWasBees posted:

Okay, since 555 is terrible, Kabuto is mainly worth watching for how terrible it gets, Hibiki(?) goes to poo poo halfway, and apparently Wizard goes downhill later on as well, which Heisei Rider series are actually good?
Ultimate Tier: Kuuga, Agito, Double, Fourze
Amazing Tier: Ryuki, Blade, OOO
Rising Tier: Kabuto
Mighty Tier: Faiz, Den-O, Kiva
Growing Tier: Decade, Wizard

Gaim is definitely shaping up for Ultimate, so I hope it keeps this up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god I admit I totally forgot about G. That thing's great. I agree, Rising Ultimate Tier.

Best KR one-shot? Best KR one-shot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While Yggdrasill and those four guys are clearly being set as the bad guys of the series, the focus is still mostly on the fights between the Riders themselves, to the point that two out of those four are Riders themselves. It's sort of like Ryuki on that, while there's an external evil force (with Riders under their command nonetheless), the focus is still set on the clashes, both physical and ideological, of the Riders themselves.

And that, I find great. Less MotW, more actual characterization is never something I can be against.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I admit, I had my doubts on Tokkyuger, the suits are bad and the trains theme felt a bit silly.

Knowing that Kobayashi's behind it has basically taken all my doubts though. Now I'm looking forward to Trainranger (while not wanting Kyoryuger to end at all).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Let me post the video instead (or a video, anyways, not too sure if it's the same Cipher Pol 9 was talking about)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-crMNwBVdP8

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While it had its silly parts (the Weakpoints apart from Ryuji's and the Buddyroids, mostly), Go-Busters was rather dark for Sentai, dealing with people getting in actual dangerous situations that aren't ignored or put lighter than they are, the Go-Busters themselves were clearly emotionally scarred people, Kuroki at first is shown as a rather harsher leader than the usual for Sentai (though it lasts about one episode, sadly), Enter is a far more threatening and competent enemy than the usual ones seen in Sentai, and there's the whole sacrifice theme going around, from the fact that we're led to believe the Go-Busters parents are dead, Kuroki outright says that the Go-Busters themselves can be sacrificed for the city's own safety, Hiromu KILLING their parents, and of course, Jin's heroic sacrifice.

Saying Go-Busters was a light and fun series just because of the stupid gimmicks only shows you didn't watch it at all, honestly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm pretty sure Toei cares more about toy sales than ratings, and IIRC, the reason why Go-Busters is considered to have underperformed is that its toys sold less than expected, rather than the (constantly in decline) ratings. Which is sad, because I still consider it a pretty good Sentai.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

That second one might be a good idea. It would put Saint Seiya Omega in competition with Pokemon, but considering how well animated a lot of its episodes are at the moment Toei almost seems ready to write it off already.

Which is sad since the series is at its best moment yet, but the animation is awful. The next episode is plot-critical and they got the worst animator they got in the entire series for gently caress's sake.

Also wasn't Sentai at a later timeslot at a certain point in time? I remember reading that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Nah. OOO was redeemed by a strong ending, a great supporting cast, and a pretty good movie in Megamax.

Wizard had...none of that. If the Gaim crossover is good, it won't be because of Wizard. Wizard is destined to be the next Kiva.

Hey, hey, that's not a nice thing to say at all.

The past sections of Kiva were far, far better than Wizard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Potsticker posted:

I always wondered what the Queen Dopant would look like.

The Queen Dopant was shown, though!

It's a literal clone of Queen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jonjonaug posted:

After watching this thing here, here are the other Rider shows I'm interested in from the concept and the designs: Amazon, Kuuga, G (holy poo poo that belt), W, OOO, and Fourze. Black's henshin is one of my favorites in there but I've already watched it. It looks like I've lucked out and all the ones I'm interested in have options other than TV-Nihon so that's cool too.

I already know that G is just a 20 minute special, so I have that downloading and plan to watch it tonight. Can anyone give me more information about the quality of the other ones?

I haven't finished Kuuga yet, but from what I've watched it's really good. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, the plot is quite a bit darker than I expected, and the non-Rider cast (Ichijou, Sakurako) are likable. My only problem with Kuuga is Kuuga himself, while not nearly Tendou-level, I find him a bit too perfect for my taste.

G is great and you should watch it. There's little to say, it's short, to the point, and really drat good. Plus wine.

W was considered a return to form for Rider after a bunch of unsatisfying series and there are very good reasons for it. The cast is likable, it doesn't have Inoue's horrible tendencies (let's ignore each other and just beat the crap out of each other because talking is apparently too hard!), the writing is solid, and the Riders' own abilities are so bizarre at times, they get you to smile. Plus that bitchin' scarf. My only problem with W is how forced the comedy feels at times, but it's a minor complaint, W is great and definitely a must-watch.

OOO...is pretty love it or hate it, but I'm definitely on the love it side. It's a Kobayashi series, with all the Kobayashi strengths (incredibly well-developed enemies, excellent main cast, a plot that's deeper than you expect at first), but shows Kobayashi's flaws more than any other series I've watched (holy poo poo is the middle portion slow). Watch it, but ask a person who knows of the series what episodes you can skip, it'll make the experience far more enjoyable.

Fourze is...different. The plot is rather weak, for one. Nonetheless, the quirky main cast, cool villains and incredibly hot blooded action make the show, and it's a blast to watch. It's not an intelligent or deep show nor it tries to be, it's as close to a generic shonen anime Kamen Rider's gotten but holy poo poo is it fun. Nakashima's writing shines, he knows how to make super hot blooded heroes that just make you shout their catchphrases with them and Gentarou is the very definition of this. If you're trying to go for a serious, hard story, watch any of the previously mentioned series. If you just want something goddamn FUN, watch Fourze.

Though I'd recommend watching Fourze after OOO, because then you can watch Megamax in order and Megamax is awesome.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, it seems Toei understands who's the best Rider (warning, War movie spoilers)

In other news, if I have to make a list of belts...

1. OOO Driver (catchy as hell)
2. Meteor Driver (disco!)
3. Faiz Driver (that beautiful voice and the realistic, bulky belt with lots of stuff on it, makes me sad Faiz is a bad series)
4. Sengoku or Genesis Driver (I like both a lot, with the Sengoku's catchy tunes and the Genesis' sexy voice)
5. DecaDriver (the cards gimmick was pretty nice, made me want to get some Ganbaride cards myself, sadly it never happened)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpazmasterX posted:

Who's between Gaim and Decade? I can't tell.

Kamen Rider 1. I'm surprised you could see Gaim though, I had to strain my sight to realize that was (probably) him.

melodicwaffle posted:

Are we counting the lockseeds as part of the Sengoku Driver? Because the belt itself is super boring, but the lockseeds have pretty great jingle catchphrases. And they're pretty!

Yeah, I count everything (Cards, Memories, Switches, Medals, Lockseeds) as part of their Driver here, otherwise they're really boring.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I started around the time Power Rangers SPD was airing. I don't even remember why, I think I just read on Wikipedia that Power Rangers was based on a Japanese show and got interested in what that show could be. Searching on Youtube, I found Dekaranger (TVN subs), and man did I enjoy it, so I stuck with it (though almost left thanks to Go-Onger, thank god Shinkenger came after that).

Then I got into Rider years later, starting with Kiva (on-going) and Den-O (complete). I wanted to watch Ryuki because the card motif looked interesting, and now I did, and I continue despite Wizard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think the actual important thing to think about is what role Tommy Oliver will have in this series. Gold or Silver?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kiva was my first Kamen Rider so I'm probably nicer to it than it deserves, but I didn't find it that bad.

Apart from Wataru being rather unlikable and the Zanbat Sword being the most stupid weapon ever, of course. Those are impossible to defend. On the other hand, there's Otoya, and Otoya is awesome. The Fangire have really cool designs too, and the Arms Monsters are nice enough. Hell, even Nago isn't that bad, once he stops being a total joke. And Megumi and Yuri manage to be both the love interests of a Rider and Riders themselves, yet they aren't brutally murdered, and the series has my respect for that.

What I'm trying to say is that Kiva, like Kabuto, would've been a really good series if the main character, wasn't. Kamen Rider Gatack and Kamen Rider IXA (Otoya, though Megumi, Yuri or Nago wouldn't be bad either) would've been actually enjoyable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

More gamechat, but I heard the/some Showa riders were DLC? Is that still the case? Or is it 18 Riders before any DLC, if there was any?

I believe the only DLC in the game are Wizard Infinity (who is really boring and doesn't even have the Shining Strike) and Beast Hyper (who actually reverts back to Beast Falco Mantle for bike action). No Showa Rider is playable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sadly Haruto can't perform All Dragon's finisher in-game, so they can't recreate that scene. For some reason, Wizard's final form is All Dragon, but its finisher is just attacking with the Dragon parts before finishing it with a fire blast. It's lame.

Not quite as lame as the weird-rear end drill kick they gave Kiva Emperor, mind you.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay so I watched the last episode of Kyoryuger. I have so much I want to say about it, so I might as well start with something snarky: I thought Kamen Rider was supposed to have the unfulfilling finales?

-Amy x Daigo, still horribly forced. If I'm meant to feel happy these two are together, too bad, I'm not. I have no idea why they decided this was a good idea. It's not even that we couldn't leave our loving Gary Stu without a couple, he already had Yayoi and Meeko. But nope, gotta end up with Amy for no reason whatsoever!

-That last battle. Jesus was that boring. It was just Daigo beating the crap out of who was MEANT to be super dangerous but sure as hell didn't show it now. Not only is it a really bad move to just exclude the rest of the team frmo the loving final battle, they also make it an absolute curbstomp the moment people start singing. Deboss, you're the most disappointing Sentai final villain in a long while. I miss Enter...

-That part with Candelira in Hell. Uhh...okay, so Luckyuro always had something that let them enter Hell alive. This was said a grand total of zero times before. This changed almost nothing, and could've been entirely avoided. I know WHY they do it, and I think it wasn't a bad reasoning, but it was still really badly done. Don't pull stuff out of your rear end in the last loving episode! Or ever, for that matter.

-All the Zyudenryuu go to space. Umm, cool. I thought that only Plezuon could, but I guess now everyone can because plot magic. Consistency isn't brave, I guess.

-Rappapou ended up being so disappointing. He's beaten with extreme ease by Plezuoh, and then he gets killed in the Spirit Base, having accomplished absolutely nothing. I guess the base just needed to be destroyed because Sentai, but it was repaired a few minutes later so this changed absolutely nothing.

-The new Cyan/Grey...get completely ignored in this episode. One episode after they debuted. And they didn't do much in their debut, either. What was the loving point in Shinya and Yuuko becoming Kyoryugers?!

-Minor, but putting all attacks at once while killing Chaos only made each call impossible to understand.

-You'd think Yayoi would care a bit more about Daigo ending up with Amy, but she seems to just shrug it off. There's a grand total of one scene (her crying when Daigo reappears and goes to Amy) that even remotely suggests she cares. Stop being such a loving doormat.

There were some parts I actually enjoyed, though! They just weren't remotely good enough to make me stop caring about how much this episode did wrong.

-Doctor Ulshade and Yayoi copiloting Plezuoh? Awesome. In fact, just getting more Doctor is awesome.

-Every moment Candelira and Luckyuro had was great, even with the asspull I mentioned earlier. Torin telling them to live bravely and Candelira imitating his finger snap, telling Nossan to keep smiling and deciding to live for the humans' sake, helping that little girl...it was all great. Almost made me cry.

-Chaos' strategy of letting himself get killed to stop Torin was pretty good. I was actually disappointed when he got killed in one blow by Dantetsu...then Dantetsu himself realizes something's just plain wrong with that. And then it dawned on me. Son of a bitch.

-Everyone singing was neat. Nowhere near as neat as an actual, proper final boss battle would've been, but it was neat.

tl;dr bad finale, gently caress Daigo. It's sad because I truly loved Kyoryuger. I thought it'd be poo poo at first, that it'd be another Goseiger, too dull to care about, sticking too hard to the status quo because the previous series tried something new and failed in the market (I thought Go-busters was pretty good though!). The first few episodes didn't help, they were too rushed, too focused on shoving new toys down our throats. The villains felt entirely one-dimensional. But the series managed to win me over. It was clever, fun, exciting, the villains were funny and deeper than expected. Everything was great, except for one thing, and I think that one thing is what gave us this lackluster finale.

This series was Daigo Sentai Kingranger. For some reason the entire series seemed to go around him. The Gabutyra Human episode might be the best example of this (apart from this loving finale), even though it was meant to be an Ian episode, pretty much every other line was asking where Daigo was or saying how cool Daigo was.

I hope Kyoryuger 100 Years After and VS ToQger fix a bit of this poo poo, because wow, I'm actually annoyed. This is not the ending Kyoryuger deserved. Riku Sanjo for the loving love of god, you can write better than this. Digimon Xros Wars' ending might've been anticlimactic, sure, but it was still awesome. This wasn't even that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's out of nowhere. There were two episodes that alluded to the fact, yeah, but even those felt completely random and tacked-in just to make the Daigo is the best attitude the series has all the more blatant.

Oh well, I'm taking a children series too seriously, so I'll just calm down. Getting annoyed at bad finales is not brave.

You know what is, though? A friend was playing around with the speed settings on Youtube on ToQger's opening. It's actually really nice at 0.5 speed. And the "go! go! go!" part at 0:07 is hilarious at 2x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Uuurgh goddammit man, I need to study for finals!

...poo poo I'm downloading this right now and going through all the series now, it's inevitable...

• Locked thread