Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Justin_Brett posted:

Watching this and Samurai is depressing, because they're clearly trying to recapture the old shows, but just can't go it well at all.

The weekly plots of the episodes were never as hokey as the plots we're getting from the Nickelodeon era. Well, except for maybe some of MMPR3 and Turbo. Samurai and Megaforce also have the worst red rangers ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Much better red ranger.

And Noah always stands around like "I am definitely not hiding some massive muscles under this jacket."

EDIT: OH MY GOD HE'S CLARK KENT

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Box of Bunnies posted:

When's the last time you watched MMPR1&2 or Zeo? They're exactly that hokey.

But they had charm, and Zeo actually tried to do some serious storylines.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Tae posted:

You are the first I've seen in reality that likes the Mystic Force theme.

It's really not that bad. Nowhere near as awful as Operation Overdrive's.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I guess TRU is honoring the :10bux: cheaper preorders on the Legacy Morpher from months ago, I got the email saying my order was being processed just a little while ago.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I got my Legacy Morpher today. It's great. The coins are all diecast and have some real heft to them, which I wasn't actually expecting. I thought just the plates on the morpher itself were diecast. The belt attachment makes it really easy to display too. Bonus points: It plays the MMPR theme when you hold down the button and the Communicator beeps when you turn it on. :allears:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Twelve by Pies posted:

I figure I probably won't have much luck finding the Shinkenger toys, and I'm a bit too poor to afford them even if I could, so I checked out what Samurai stuff they had. I ended up picking up the Samurai Megazord and the lobster zord, since those were the only two that interested me. They also had the bull zord and the tiger zord, and a "Gigazord" figure that was just boring looking.

I'm disappointed they didn't have the squid, but eh. It's not a bad toy, though I'm disappointed that you can't actually transform the animals into the origami. Well, you can for the turtle, but that's more due to how it folds up, you can't for the others. Guess I'll be setting it up next to my RPM Megazord.

I hate to say it, but chances are you could've gotten the actual Shinken-Oh at Toys R Us for probably what you paid for the Samurai Megazord and Claw zord. They released at as part of the special 20th anniversary line, and they'll be releasing Gosei Great sometime this year too.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
There's no way GokaiOh will still have all its gimmicks and quality intact. Not a chance. I'm just hoping they do an import for it too so I can pick it up. By the way, you have to buy two of the bikes in order to make Gosei Grand because they decided they needed to be motorcycles for some reason instead of actually packaging them with the lion zord.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 18, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

jivjov posted:

Got my legacy Morpher in the mail today...and sadly, the Tyrannosaurus coin won't stay in the morpher :( I contacted Toys R Us and Bandai; does anyone have any experience with their customer support? How likely is it that I can get a replacement coin?

From what I've read, because that actually is a documented problem a few people had, you may have to return the whole thing and wait for a new one.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my, what's happening here?

Bigger version, plus a bonus.

Why'd TJ stay Space Blue instead of being Turbo Red if Tommy is Green again? :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

jivjov posted:

I do love seeing the actors in the suits. One of my biggest disappointments as a child was learning that Jason David Frank (and the other Mighty Morphin guys) didn't do all of their own suit-work.

Funfact: JDF actually did a lot of suit-work once he became the white ranger since they obviously didn't have any footage to go off of whenever he was around the Zyu suits.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I kinda hope Tommy makes a joke about how "time has not been kind" :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RBX posted:

How long is Wizard dull?

Never. :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Dr Tran posted:

If you think Wes looks old

Jesus, Carter what happened to you?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

JT Smiley posted:

Carter was a badass? I never managed to sit through more than a handful of episodes before I just gave up on Lightspeed completely. To this day it's the only season I've skipped, because I hated it that much. And I've seen all of Operation Overdrive!

Really the whole Lightspeed team was pretty badass. Carter was a quintessential Red Ranger though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Liar Lyre posted:

I'll probably leave my email or twitter and then relay details there, but for general stuff I'll post directly. For example, what kind of format would work best? My favorite idea at the moment is to review the series one episode at a time, five times a week. Of corse each week of content will be recorded ahead of time in one sitting. Besides that, we could have a new PR/Sentai related topic to talk about each week, have a general show with news and what's new (although No Pink Spandex already does a great job with that), or something else. If any of you guys have a suggestion, please say something because you'll be the ones listening.

If you want to review one episode a day, you should be sure to keep it brief. No one wants to listen to reviews that run longer than watching the actual episode.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

jivjov posted:

And the zords were amazing. Super. Train. Megazord. That is all.

Still the only carrierzord that's made of separate zords that carry their smaller counterparts, which is something that needs to come back. I think the last real carrierzord was the DekaBase/Delta Command Megazord. Everything since then has just been a vehicle for a megazord to ride.

Mostly I just want more carrierzords goddammit.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I liked the Accel movie. :(

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Those aren't even subtitles, they're captions. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Liar Lyre posted:

Oh yeah, need name suggestions for the podcast. I can't think of anything good.

I think you're all missing the obvious answers.

It's Podcastin' Time!
Power Rangers: Podcast Force
Mighty Morphin Power Podcast

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

mikeycp posted:

Podcasters With Attitude.

Ooh, I like that one.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

AzraelNewtype posted:

Guys.

Go-Busters Returns is amazing.

You don't even know.

More GoBusters is always good. Of course you guys had to release it right after I left for work so I can't even watch it when I get home. :(

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Welp. That was amazing. Further proof GoBusters was one of the best.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's a disjointed cinematic appended to the end of Lords of Shadow's credits, yeah.

It was all explained in the DLC and there's more to come in the sequel BUT ANYWAYS

I think you get more out of Returns if you saw the series because GoBusters always had this seriousness to everything and constantly tried to subvert Sentai tropes, and Bestial Battery GoBusters is pure Sentai cheese that hit on every single trope they could.

Also if we don't get a Black Puuuuuumaaaaaaaa Figurarts I'll be sad.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

TheGreenAvenger posted:

However, I must point out that the Phantoms' goal is to make more Phantoms, not kill Gates. So they're not actually trying to kill a specific person.

They do try to use the fear of death to cause despair though, so they're not above grievous injury.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Oh and this thing too I guess.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

OZC posted:

The Legacy one is identical to the 2010 mold, they just added the die-cast in place of some of the plastic, and gave it show accurate stickers/paint. It's still smaller than the 1993 Megazord, since all the modern US Megazord toys are smaller than the Japanese counterparts.

To be more exact, basically almost all the gray bits and limbs on the megazord were replaced with diecast. It's only slightly smaller than the MMPR version and a bit sleeker with different types of connectors. The Dragonzord will probably be quite different too since the original is completely incompatible with the redesigned Megazord.

Mostly I want to make the Legacy Dragonzord Warrior Mode so I can put my original back into Ultrazord formation until they release Legacy Titanus.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Burkion posted:

And that's without realizing/considering that they're almost definitely going to combine the two the same way they're combining Gosei and Gokaiger.

Why are we assuming that's the case? I thought they combined Goseiger and Gokaiger because Goseiger was too terrible to carry an entire season.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Burkion posted:

This is assuming that Nick keeps them to the schedule they're forced to have. Which is also something to remember, Saban is not purposely only making 20 episodes a year-that's a mandate from Nick.

If they changed channels you'd likely see a shift to the old style again.

However I'd still lay money down that we'd get another hybrid season, purely so that we aren't three years behind anymore.

I don't think so. Is Nick mandating them to stick to one series a year? If not, there's no reason they couldn't do GoBusters over two years and take full advantage of their budget over the two years. Especially because the source material would make it extremely easy thanks to the change from Messiah to Enter as the end boss.

They could even do a special parody episode ala Dino Thunder using the Bestial Battery GoBusters special. :v:

EDIT: Hey look at all those new posts.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Justin_Brett posted:

Just like people couldn't wait for the awesome American adaptation of Shinkenger, right?

I don't know what people expected, Shinkenger was Japanese as gently caress to begin with. Even a close adaptation was gonna be pretty silly, and then they piled on the stupid FRIENDSHIP AND TEAMWORK YEAH! and ridiculous new suits specifically for megazord battles.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Burkion posted:

I can never, ever be made at Shogun Mode.

That thing is a piece of art.

Well Shogun Mode is a Battlizer, so it gets a pass.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Burkion posted:

Pretty much, yes.

Is that a padlock?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

That belt is the weirdest drat thing. I can't wait to see how it works.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Rei_ posted:

TOYS Y'ALL

http://herotaku.com/blog/1/1857-gaim-toy-catalogue-lock-seeds-bikes-drivers-arms-and-fruit/

Apparently they are actually working on themed-armor sets for Gaim based on the Legend Rider Lock Seeds.

This poo poo is literally bananas.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RBX posted:

And my god is there any explanation for the poo poo tier upgrades the Buster's got? They looked like terrible Halloween costumes!

GoBusters was always about function. That's why their upgrade wasn't something big, unwieldy, and/or ridiculous like every Battlizer ever. Plus they were designed to be used every episode once they got them, so they had to be sleek and minimalistic.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Burkion posted:

They wanted to use the Movie Suits for the upgrade, but I think a combination of them belonging to Fox and being pieces of poo poo prevented that.

The movie suits were also something like 40 pounds, so I imagine it would have been unpleasant using them so often.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Enter may drat well be the most competent Sentai villain ever.

Enter is the most competent Sentai villain ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

The Blackest Goon posted:

what the gently caress is up with the comments around this pic?

I just realized that JokerJoker and Joker are actually different.

• Locked thread