Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I used to get a letter from prison about every other month at a previous job, and I always wrote back. I didn't know that was subversive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LongDarkNight posted:

Just guessing, but I doubt their contract for Netrunner IP includes making an RPG.

That sounds negotiable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There must be a mod, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brand it with 50 Shades or Nicholas Sparks and you'll drown in money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been wanting to work on a homebrew setting where dungeoncrawling is a televised sport. I know that XCrawl exists, but honestly I feel that the first edition is so focused on a setting that is mostly lame, and the Pathfinder version is so focused on mechanics, that there's room for a game that puts dungeoncrawling in the context of everything from Rollerball and The Running Man to reality television and wrestling.

Kinda like the Dream Park setting? I've thought about that a bit, everyone having "inner" and "outer" characters and such.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Street ball.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

How do I get an image like that at a good resolution? You know, that CC logo?

https://creativecommons.org/about/downloads has them. For BY-NC-SA you want https://mirrors.creativecommons.org/presskit/buttons/88x31/svg/by-nc-sa.svg and to scale it up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

What do you mean by scale it up?

Just change the size of the image in your document. It's a vector image, so it will scale cleanly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimbozig posted:

Looks like those don't exist in Canada.

They used to! Growing up in Belleville it was our special occasion restaurant. Also when they had AYCE popcorn shrimp. It's amazing what a motivated 6-year-old can eat if he only gets shrimp once a year.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good for WOTC though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

thank you for that post, leperflesh

Yeah, that was good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mostly write investment memos with an intended audience of fewer than 20 people, and I crave people's feedback on form and substance as I put it together. I really don't get the attitude that admitting imperfection is worse than shipping a worse product.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Even feedback that I don't agree with or incorporate adds to my understanding of how an audience might receive my future writings!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I dunno. Modern software development isn't much older than D&D, and certainly postdates when people started designing and documenting games with numerical mechanics. Virtually no academic programs in software teach code review. But the industry has accepted that it gets better results, so it's near-universal and people learn to be grownups about it the first year on the job. Code review is both systematic and about clarity of intent. It's not rocket science, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Perfect.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We need more Paizos -- more companies that understand the economics of building a viable RPG business -- and fewer indie at-cost indiegogo darlings. There needs to be enough money in the system that people who are great can make a great living, and people who are just ok can make a decent living being directed by the great people.

My day job is investing in early-stage companies and the things I see in the RPG space make me mournful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Piell posted:

Ah yes, we definitely need more companies that rip their entire system off of someone else with no creativity or ability to balance at all.

People who bought Pathfinder stuff got exactly what it said on the label. The consumers of that product are virtually all pleased with their purchases, because you know what you get when you buy a Paizo product. You certainly know what you get the second time you buy one.

You might or might not think their game design is enjoyable, but they get to keep doing their game design because they also understand that there are economics and not just design involved in building a sustainable line of products. Nothing about their business model precludes doing storygames or whatever, they just have history in 3.5 that locks them down. The same thing could have been done with AW, but that group didn't aim to build a business. The sad truth is that in 2017 you need both economic and critical success to be a sustained entity and force on the industry.

Schwalb also seems to have figured it out, if that analogy makes you happier.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yikes, marketing!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is your point that Paizo's is the only sustainable business model in the RPG industry? That would be depressing indeed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nuns with Guns posted:

No, not really. Games like Apocalypse World don't lend themselves to an ongoing subscription based/splatbook model like d20 does. PbtA games are limited in their scope and they're intentionally vague enough that adding too much extra fluff and rules would undermine their appeal.

I don't follow this. There are a billion playbooks and variants out there in the PbtA ecosystem. Are they not basically splatbooks?

My point is not that people should copy Paizo's business model specifically; depending on a dominant franchise shooting itself in the nether regions isn't generally viable. It's that more RPG authors should be thinking about a business model, in addition to mechanics and setting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plus Neverwinter MMO, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kai Tave posted:

These already exist. There's one (or was one, I haven't checked to see if it's gone out of business) at a mall near where I live, you make a reservation, pay a fee, and you and X number of people have an hour to solve the mystery and escape from a puzzle room.

I think he/she means an RPG-branded one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know anything about Wil Wheaton the person but as an actor he's fantastic at playing self-absorbed slimeball villains and I'm actually kind of sad that I've only seen him cast this way once, and for a relatively minor part.

He was good on Criminal Minds too, in the villain vein.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Granted, I was mostly amused by "we got 70 pitches and only took 1!... so maybe you've got a shot?"

I'm going to end up seeking ~125 pitches in 2017 and invest in maybe two of them. Many of the rest will find funding elsewhere, but they keep filling up my dance card because our firm and partners have a good rep.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, I imagine you're also not Ryan Dancey. :ohdear:

Can you take the chance?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And it has magic!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the design and organization of FE is amazing. The intro videos are pretty good too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The small business can't pay her rent or buy her food. Eventually it becomes income unless she's letting it sit there to compound before withdrawing, and then it becomes income after that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I recall Harper saying explicitly that he didn't consider BitD to be PbtA, somewhere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cease to Hope posted:

baker is saying that anyone anywhere can call their own game pbta if they want, there are no rules or preconditions or barriers or boundaries

Yeah, my point (and maybe Kestral's) is that Harper doesn't feel that BitD fits.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CC, like open source software licenses, relies on copyright to have any force. I don't think "copyright is all or nothing" is really what you wanted to say.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And letting you intertwine characters-as-adventurers with characters-as-leaders-in-society, which I think is not done enough.

Definitely wear a helmet, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"overwrought"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This poo poo would be more fun if your character was more mutable after creation. Doing 3 hours of mechanical character design over the course of 5 sessions, with more knowledge of the game context, is a lot more fun (IMO) than making 3 hours of decisions you have to live with for the next year of gaming. The latter with incomplete information about the game, if not also the game system.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

Sure. But it doesn't matter in practice. The social shoring required for D&D is a part of pretty much every group, by default. As soon as it becomes apparent that a new system is going to require effort to work out new shoring, it's onto a loser.

What do you mean by "social shoring"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nuns with Guns posted:

you used a semicolon wrong there

“Incorrectly”.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, I certainly don't mean to say he's not guilty- I think the delay in banning him was down to trying to verify.

Does verification require a real person to appear in front of an RPGnet mod, or is it mere internet conversation?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My industry (venture capital) has been going through a wave of brave people raising complaints and identifying abusers lately, too. It's as distressing as it is to see it in the RPG industry, but at least the corporate statements are better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I'll say it now though, if my idol Greg Stolze turns out to be bad I'll riot.

Don’t even talk about it. Just don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JesterOfAmerica posted:

I think it was more of a don't jink it thing

Yes, quite.

• Locked thread