Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

JDCorley posted:

You might check out etsy and see how other people who do handmade stuff handle limited online sales. I almost think etsy is a little better for craft-type gaming products like awesome miniatures or terrain.
Yeah, it seems to me that etsy might be a better bet here. It doesn't necessarily have the visibility of kickstarter, but you also don't have to deal with the problem of potentially overselling what you're willing to commit to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
The thing I remember about my readthrough of KPFS is that it's pretty explicit that you don't get rewarded mechanically for doing truly heinous stuff -- only really petty, stupid evil acts. So I assume it'd just become an exercise in absurdity. And I think that's the intention.

It's still a game I don't really have any desire to play, though.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
We've used tablets and phones as character sheet replacements to great effect in D&D 4e. If you're using DDI, you save a ton of paper that way since you don't have to reprint (at minimum) every time you level up.

But yeah, that Golem Arcana thing looks pretty dumb.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Dr. Tough posted:

How easy death is in a game is really more about the group and GM than it is about the game itself.
I couldn't disagree more. There is some element of playstyle to consider, but regardless it absolutely does tie in to the wider context of the game.

Esser-Z got it right:

Esser-Z posted:

Easy death in a game like modern D&D is in conflict with the complexity and length of char gen. Dying easily when chargen takes five minutes to roll up, as with OD&D, is one thing. Dying easily when you spent twenty plus minutes figuring out your character is totally different.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

I bet there are actual programmers who are RPG fans that would be happy and willing to help develop apps to support a cool game system for little or no cost. The same goes for technical writers.
I've done this as well for games I've been really enthused about (or, in the case of 5e, really annoyed by), but it's an insane thing to base a business model on. At that point you're not really any better than the publishers paying freelancers pennies a word.

On the other hand, if all we're talking about is a straight rulebook replacement, the technology exists to do that with little to no technical knowledge. It's called a wiki. The problem is you'd be in pretty much uncharted territory as far as monetizing that goes, on top of the time it takes to properly hyperlink the thing.

I like where you're going though, and I mostly agree with it. Just last night I cracked open a PDF for Shadowrun 5e to look at the rules for making a character and it was extremely painful to parse.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a programmer or technical writer myself, so just to be clear...are we talking about publishers doing what Hero Lab is doing, but for their own games instead of waiting for a third party to capitalize on the opportunity?
Character builders are great, but they do definitely require some technical know-how to set up correctly, even with a premade tool.

On the other hand, this conversation started with how awful rulebooks are, both as references and learning guides. If you're just looking to replace that with a knowledge base-type format you don't really need all that much technical skill as long as we're ignoring the monetising aspect.

I mean, I'm sure a skilled technical writer would do a much better job, but you can't really do much worse than a lot of coding KBs, which are still light years beyond a textbook.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 27, 2015

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Which circles me back to 'make an online database (which is a shitton easier and requires a lot less developmental chops), make an API for it, paygate it, watch someone else develop your tools for you'.
Actually they did kind-of-sort-of have this with the old offline CB. Or maybe it's the new one.

Regardless, one of my friends figured out how to capture the XML data from one of the builders. I think he wanted to make some kind of item database. But if you've ever seen the big chunks of XML they work on in the CB thread, you'll know they're ugly as sin. So I don't think he got very far.

Alternately, people have been scraping the compendium basically forever. But that's just as clunky and error prone. I think masterplan and a few of the character sheet apps went this route.

Anyway, my basic point is that this has been done before. But you still are going to have a hard time monetizing it because once someone pulls enough data to make a reasonable copy of your database you're pretty much toast.

The only thing preventing it in 4e is that the actual tools, while really clunky, are still going to be way better than something someone is going to put together in their spare time.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

That Old Tree posted:

The delay in releasing material for bards and gnomes could—and probably should—be chalked up to space constraints more than anything else.
Right. It's trivial to add Barbarians and Bards to a book when they have like 10 special rules that take up roughly 3 pages and a smattering of wizard and cleric spells (respectively), but when they have full unique power lists from 1-30 it's kind of a different animal.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

That mentally probably grows from when a DM does "work" preparing a game for free. They're extrapolating their unpaid effort to what a designer does, when in reallity running a game/campaign is how they choose to consume and enjoy the product.

They see a designer as a "Big DM" who gets the most say, not as an actual working person who deserves a salary. Since they enjoy doing what (they imagine) a designer does, they never consider it paying work.
I can actually see a bit where this mindset could have originated though, because even now the GM often ends up having to play designer (picking and choosing what rules modules to use, on the fly errata, fixing broken games) and distributor (copying relevant sections into cheat sheets for their group), among others.

Heck, I still remember creating my own character sheets in MS Word for Shadowrun and D&D back in high school because none of the ones I could find laid anything out in a useful manner.

As people have mentioned though, the answer to the above isn't less money spent on tech writing/editing.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
I was just about to give Mearls the benefit of the doubt on responding to just the claim and missing the context of the diversity dig (which seems like a pretty Mearls thing to do). But then I saw Pundowski in the thread and not getting called out on any of his poo poo. Yuck.

Does someone have a link to the Industry Insider list they're talking about? The GenCon site is garbage.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's a pretty amazing one-two combo of ignorance and shittiness side by side, and the comment largely just boils down to Mearls desperately trying to gatehouse the hobby.
You're right it is pretty lovely. I just don't like to attribute malice where dumbassitude is entirely plausible.

I guess I've always seen Mearls as a clueless goof with no context awareness (so, a nerd) in way over his head as a voice in the hobby.

Not that it really excuses lovely behavior. And it's extra ironic because there were at least a few WotC credits in the guest list that I saw.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Slimnoid posted:

I'd wager that most people have him blocked for being an obnoxious rear end, as well as being an untalented hack. It's pretty difficult to call people out when you don't see their poo poo.
That makes sense. I don't really know much about how Twitter works.

It also makes me wonder why anyone would use such a wide open platform for any kind of professional PR stuff (oh wait, Mearls).

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

Calling out those shitheads helps to make it a discussion about them. "Making any discussion about me" is literally the only thing they are skilled at doing, and it's a frequent distraction/derail technique from whatever is currently going on.
Probably true, but when your public communication channel gets crammed full of them, it looks like tacit endorsement. So you really need a way to cull them from the feed people see when they look at your posts.

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't do that for people you've blocked. But I'm sure that would have all kinds of other ramifications.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Kai Tave posted:

And yet Sean K. Reynolds keeps finding work.
Right, and Monte Cook.

A lot of game design is cargo cult, from all the D&D heart breakers and the hobby's obsession with equipment lists even in games where it doesn't make sense (FFG Star Wars, I'm looking at you) to the recent rise of Apocalypse World hacks.

Sometimes you get a functional game whose rules reinforce the kinds of fiction or table experience they're trying to evoke, but a lot of times you just get a warmed over reskin of something else with a lot of holdover mechanics that don't really make sense in the new setting, genre, or style.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Zurui posted:

PbtA games are *especially* susceptible to this. It's incredibly easy to play Apocalypse World or Monsterhearts and not actually grasp what makes the system work. By that, I don't mean the bare mechanics (on a 7-9...) but how the mechanics exist to support the sort of fiction your game is modeled after. In many ways, a PbtA game is defined not by what you can do but by what the rules don't actively support.
Yup. And sometimes you get people iterating on an implementation but their changes clash with the original design, and they don't change enough to account for it or the changes just don't work.

Dungeon World's damage rolls are an instance of that. Turns out rolling for damage after rolling to hit (with the inherent risk for bad things on a failure) makes for anticlimactic results and really wonky damage/armor value scaling.

And don't get me started on Bonds.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

MalcolmSheppard posted:

You'll always have people who just want to blow poo poo up, power trip, or violate social norms inside a fictional box, and trying to design to prevent it is foolhardy, especially when an informal word of caution is a more efficient way to go about it. Then again, I've seen people powergame loving Fiasco by competing to gently caress up in some spectacular way the fastest/most and congratulating themselves about it, which is in fact a really boring way to play, because there's no tragicomic arc and nothing to lose, so people who play against intent can sometimes freshen things up.
Not every game has to be made to work at every table.

That group of power gamers would probably have a good time with D&D 4e or Strike!, where the game rewards pulling off rad, synergistic combos.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's like he saw that Fate was the new cool thing but completely missed the boat on how the fate point economy works.

Plus you have character options like "Wields Two Weapons at Once" competing with "Controls Gravity". That's not even an exaggeration.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

FWIW I can't wrap my head around Fate either. Compels as a concept I understand, but I try thinking about setting target numbers in the system and my brain just shuts down.
The main weird thing I had to get over was that rolls are not additive. In most games, you want to set the target a lot higher than a player's skill because the dice add to it.

In Fate, rolls tend towards neutral with a pretty strong curve. So a target 2 above a player's skill is actually pretty tough and odds are will require at least one invoke.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, most of the time they're making opposed rolls, so in those cases they know what they're trying to beat. For non-contested rolls, I'll usually try to keep things in the +3 to +5 range. I think of it in terms of "You'd have to be Good/Great/Superb to pull that off".

The thing is that it's really more of an art than a science; the best I can tell you about when I do it is that I eyeball it for what would be most dramatically appropriate. The SRD has a lot of stuff to say about setting difficulties, but it's more about how setting difficulties sets the mood of a scene.

e: poo poo, I really need to sit down and think about this.
That's basically what the ladder is for, but you absolutely can push them for higher targets if it's an intense/climactic scene, the kind where they should need all the little bonuses they've been building up all session.

It really is tough though, and I didn't always succeed either. More often than not at least a few of my players ended a session maxed out on fate points, which is a good indicator that they were never challenged.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

Play Strike! and never set a target number again.
As a bonus I think you could do a pretty sweet BMX Bandit with a Duelist/Controller.

And the Angel Summoner is probably just a Summoner/Leader.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
That's completely unusable. I always include page references next to my spells/items/feats so I can go look them up since I usually end up summarizing on my sheet to save space.

What the gently caress happened to that game?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Sort of.

There are definitely a bunch of weird (and not particularly functional) basic reskins of AW and a slew of crappy PbtA games (especially the early ones) but there's also a good number of examples of people taking the conceptual bones of the system and reworking it extensively for different genres. Fellowship, Monsterhearts, Blades in the Dark, and several others are clearly descended from AW but aren't just AW with a coat of paint slapped one.
Right. Like D&D, there are a lot of genre conventions built into the rules of AW. Most good hacks actually take that into account and change those rules to better emulate their chosen genre or intended play style. This is much more common in AW hacks, because D&D's rules largely go unexamined.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Lightning Lord posted:

Don't forget all that Fate shovelware that's just the SRD with a handful of really bad genre specific rules attached.
A lot of that is unrelated setting/game Kickstarters that added "Fate support" as a stretch goal without knowing much about Fate just to try and ride their coattails.

It's a little different from OSR games designed for unexamined D&D assumptions from the ground up.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

potatocubed posted:

Reading Burning Wheel back in the early 2000s opened my eyes to a lot of story-game design stuff that I'd never really thought about before and I was much impressed. I still think beliefs and instincts are great tech. Playing it was kind of an exercise in frustration. It's a game which rewards system mastery -- just like the D&D it pulls away from so strongly -- and as such it's entirely possible to 'build to concept' and end up with a woefully ineffective character even in their supposed area of expertise.

I also have issues with the skill list, difficulties, the way circles and resources work, the social conflict mini-game, wounds and healing, and the fact that wizards still win at everything. Mutter grumble curse.
Yeah, it's a very cool game on paper, but I've tried to both run and play it and it kind of fell flat both times. I don't think either group was willing to put in the effort to really understand the system and what makes it work, which the game kind of requires of everyone at the table.

Luckily the concepts in it that were once pretty novel are showing up in a lot of other games.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

ProfessorCirno posted:

There legit isn't a big jedi / non-jedi gap, and you can absolutely have any kind of mixed team that you see fit.
There is however a pretty big mechanical crunch/decision gap between Jedi and non-Jedi.

There are a few nonstandard actions scattered around the jobs, but they're pretty rare.

It was something I also missed from WFRP3, though I do think that game seems to take it a bit too far in the other direction for all but the heaviest crunch-loving group.

Even just two or three special actions per talent tree would have been really cool IMO. If they were spaced decently you could pick them or not depending on how much you want to interact with the mechanics.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm mostly just turning down the idea that jedi have all these fantastic maneuvers and abilities and options. They are for the most part doing the same "I attack" on their round. They just might say "I attack by throwing a thing" instead of "I attack with a laser sword."
You're probably right. I've not actually played a Jedi, and have only seen them played in the F&D beginner scenario.

You do have a few extra options like pushing people or buffing your stats and such, but yeah it probably does still boil down to basic attacks most of the time.

Regarding the "how can you make shooting things interesting", WFRP3's cards mostly boil down to giving you specific ways to spend your dice symbols.

For example, there's a Called Shot card that lets you spend one success for normal damage, or 2 successes for normal damage and giving them the Rattled condition for a round.

FFG Star Wars has a generic list of things you can spend symbols on (as does WFRP3), but tying them to specific player abilities that they can choose to use was a lot of fun in the right group, and adds another layer of player choice.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Brainiac Five posted:

Episode 1: the motherfucking podrace you facile sack of poo poo.

Episode 4: "She's got it where it counts. I've made some special modifications."
Neither of these make sense in defense of gear porn.

The comment about the Falcon is irrelevant to anything that happens on screen except as explanation. You never see the characters making hard decisions between smuggling compartments or more guns or whatever. It's just establishing believability for when it outruns the Imperials.

Similarly, the pod race, and even the construction of the pod itself, isn't really about what equipment the characters are choosing. They're just challenges to overcome.

RPG rules exist to provide incentive for players to take certain desired actions (e.g. giving XP for gold in a game where you want players to delve into dungeons as efficiently as possible).

In the case of a licensed property, one possible set of desired player actions revolves around recreating the feel, character, and stories of the property. That's where a lot of people find that the more traditional RPG rules in EotE fall down.

There are definitely valid explanations/defenses for gear porn ("they actually do recreate the theme I'm going for" in the case of cyberpunk, or even just "this is the way Star Wars RPGs have always done it, and that's an actively enjoyable thing for me"), but faithfulness to the themes of Star Wars movies isn't really one of them IMO.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

So just because something is tradition then it must always be that way?
I think there's a little more to it than that. In a hobby as niche as tabletop RPGs, when things have been done a certain way for a long enough time the people who partake in that hobby tend to self-select for those that enjoy the way things work.

In that sense, the new trend towards rules light narrative games is more the outlier, and maybe an indication that the hobby is growing and broadening its appeal.

But those of us that do enjoy the lighter games shouldn't be surprised when publishers (especially big ones) will tend to stick more closely to "the way things have always been done". They're in the game to make money after all.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Also, rethinking things, I'm not sure why people are complaining about the gear lists in EotE (which are kind of annoying to have to parse through if that's not your thing, but can still mostly be ignored as was mentioned) when the real genre killer is the brutal lethality.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, god knows, Star Wars isn't known for having horrible maiming injuries and dismemberment as a frequent th...wait.
And then they get their hand replaced two scenes later and it's basically like it never happened other than now they wear a glove.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

jivjov posted:

The Star Wars dice, and their narrative mechanic, are good actually.
They're okay, but they were way better in WHFRP3, where you had context (action card) dependent ways of spending symbols.

Whereas in FFGSW, you pretty much just have one big boring list and anything else is on the fly GM rules design. I found it kind of fatiguing to run.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Spuckuk posted:

Might be the wrong thread for it but..did anyone ever play Iron Heroes (Monte Cook), and if so, how broken was it?

I'm curious because Cook seems to really favour casters, and here he made a DnD variant where, essentially, everyone is a warrior.
IH was actually written by Mearls.

And I haven't played it myself, but I know I've seen it discussed before. IIRC there were some classes that were okay if everyone's playing IH classes, but also a few that were complete garbage (so, par for the course in D&D-related stuff).

If you don't get any hits here you could try the chat thread.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Mr. Maltose posted:

Let me tell y'all the good word on Last Stand, the game where you literally draft your character's abilities.
:rip: beautiful bug game :(

Kai Tave posted:

Somebody remind me what the policy is on distributing Last Stand, I know that Mikan quit elfgames and the internet for good reason but I recall that she put Last Stand up on a Google drive page or something that I lost track of, is it kosher to share it around or was it more of a backup for people who helped fund it?
It's been a while, but IIRC people should feel free to share it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, so here's a question, and in recognition that the discussion is heated I assure you that I am asking this in good faith:

Is it any ""better"" to have a system where there isn't any kind of choice in how to develop your character at all, beyond the broadest possible strokes? Like, if I pick an Basic D&D Fighter, all of my "character progression" decisions are made for me the moment I write "Fighter" at the top of the sheet.
I'd argue that that's actually undesirable. Ideally IMO, you'd want to have your early decisions (where you may be new to the game itself or even just the setting and character) be less impactful than the ones you make later on when you may have a better handle on the rules system and/or who the character is and their place in the setting.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Cassa posted:

Not doubting it, I loved the online compendium, just wondering if there any notable changes.

Beyond magic missile.
Stealth got errata'd pretty majorly. The skill check DC table got rewritten at least twice. And zones and zone-based powers got a massive errata right near the end of the line (mostly because they didn't want to fix the actual keyword since it was in the printed Rules Compendium and instead fixed all the powers).

There were plenty of others, that was just off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

For someone who doesn't hate it, you sure feel the burning need to keep saying it out loud while being relentlessly passive aggressive about it, but that's the beauty of a forum that doesn't tone police I guess.
Pot, kettle? A lot of RPG.net posters could give master classes in passive aggressiveness.

I mostly don't use the site because no one ever really has anything interesting to say about games, probably because the rules make it tough to criticize them.

• Locked thread