Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

The tabletop game is as vestigial as it gets, to be frank. They aren't going to prepare a new edition for the film. They might try for a licensed game or two, but that's it.

Also yeah, Hasbro had something of a reputation for not selling IPs no matter what. 5e, as I've said previously, is more or less D&D in mothball status.

You would think it would have been smarter to leave 4th as the current edition in mothball status considering it was the edition that was earning them decent money on a monthly basis due to the online services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Foolster41 posted:

Now you got me imagining a D&D setting game with the Edge of the Empire mechanics. It'd be weird (since no more D20s) but could be interesting.

Well if you actually played OD&D with the Chainmail combat system, you already had this, as Chainmail used only d6. Not that anyone ever really did apparently.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cool, how was it? Did you play it that way back in the day, or as a kind of a play it like they used to kind of thing? I only ask because from what I heard, combing through post from the old player's and such, Gygax and company never did play that way, and it was included as an option to help ease war gamer's into the new game.

As a side question, how is Chainamil? I had a copy until recently but never got to play, and I always wondered how it actually held up in play.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 28, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So what is the appropriate name for the opponents of social justice, those fighting the social Justice war on the other side? I think it should be appropriately comic bookish to get across the level of prickishness necessary to name ones self an opponent of any sort of justice. I nominate "The Legion of Dumb." Or perhaps "The Brotherhood of Bigotry." Last one for simplicity's sake, "The Injustice League."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Doesn't quite sum it up- some of it's not specifically sexist but just generally creepy as poo poo, some of it's racist or transphobic or something else besides typical patriarchy.

Yeah that's why I settled on bigotry for my X-Men villain alike.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

'Chauvinism' isn't actually limited to sexism, it's just exaggerated and ridiculous loyalty to a cause beyond all sense and reason. The term is named after a French guy who remained doggedly loyal to Napoleon long after he was exiled and the dude himself was grievously injured in battle but he insisted in the ongoing superiority of the Emperor's rulership, etc.

"exaggerated or aggressive patriotism"

Huh, learn something new everyday.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I agree with you to a great degree, but I disagree about actors and their ability to let fake romance slide on the whole. There are industries built off the backs of actors not being able to avoid turning fiction into reality.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was referring mostly to tabloids and the lucrative divorce attorney trade.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

Why use females when "broads" is much warmer.

Females is more nerdish, because as mentioned before, it immediately draws ones thoughts to Star Trek and the Ferengi. Broads makes me think of Danny DeVito. I kind of like Danny DeVito.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The ideal I suppose would just be "Game Designer", but I understand the occasional need for further descriptors.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I could be wrong but I think HeroQuest has something like that going on. Cortex Plus, at least in the Marvel Heroic version of it has the Doom Pool.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is nothing you can say about D&D in it's entire existence that cant be said about some game being sold today. Every edition of the game save 4th has a couple retroclones to it's name by this point.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think the main difference between old D&D and 3e, 3.5 & 5 on caster supremacy is the introduction of concentration checks. When the casters spell was fritzed on any interruption with no chance to save it, it made for a game where even if they overpowered the rest of the team, at least the rest of the team were necessary in the fight. It also helped that fighter with all rules in play were death incarnate in early D&D. Thieves still sucked though. 4E really did do it best.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He gave $200 to a game he hated for the sake of having something to whine about, with full knowledge that it would be edited. The only people who will care about his whining are those who are already angry that the game is even being made at all, and those who support the game will pay no attention to the extra voice of anger on top of all the other shitheads being loudly angry about a game they don't have to buy and which was explicitly not made with them as a target audience. Sounds like a $200 win to me.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think naming the bird "Trigger Warning" is a pretty good clue that this isn't the case.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I always get a little irritated at talk of people being creatures of their time. It's not like there weren't people who had different opinions then, and it's not as if regressive attitudes are a thing of the past now, making the average MRA a direct fixture of this time and place. Just as slave owners and genetic racists had opposition from abolitionists and others, so too did sexists in the time of Gygax and earlier have their opponents, from suffragettes to feminists and onward. The assholes have never been totally unopposed, and as such they never get a free ticket to be an rear end in a top hat.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

homullus posted:

And yet we are. How much thought/discussion do people give to the personhood and rights of gorillas now? Of your rights with regard to the airspace immediately over your backyard, and things falling into it? These are fringe discussions now. Bring up the gorilla thing and you're likely to get somebody scoffing about being able to marry their dog (as many already do when gay rights come up). Bring up the airspace thing and people will cock their head like a dog, not thinking ahead to drones buzzing all over the place for every reason, delivering pizzas and Amazon packages and even junk mail.

Stuff's gonna change in all aspects of life, and you can pretty much guarantee that you're not going to change with 100% of it. The older you get, the more set in your ways you get.

The matter of women being equal and having equal rights though has not simply been the domain of crackpots and the fringe, if it were suffrage would not have been won in the 20's and the ERA would not have come so close to ratification in the 70's. On the matter of abolition, the framers of the constitution were split, even sometimes within the person of the same framer. These have not been fringe issues in a long long time, and though there was obviously lot of push back from regressive elements it is not like their opposition lived eternally in fear of them, necessitating a cloaking of their attitudes. Further it is not as if people do not suffer today at the hands of assholes for the crime of doing anything in public while black or expressing themselves while female. Now as then there are consequences for whatever opinion you publicly hold, but that doesnt stop people now and it didn't stop people then. They had and still have no excuse for being an rear end in a top hat.

The only people we play this game with are people who have produced works we like. The average shithead on the street in 1920 doesn't get given a pass for shouting obscenities at women or blacks no matter the times.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 16, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

homullus posted:

Another good example. I may one day be judged or even penalized for not believing that I need to think of and treat an otherkin co-worker as a dragon. That could happen. I may fail to adjust, because my future self continues to believe that people aren't dragons and that dragons don't exist.

We are moving fast these days, though perhaps not so fast as that. There is little to no agitation as yet for the sake of people such as this, excepting of course those people who belong to such groups. Regardless, if it were to pass that such folk are accepted in the future and their lifestyles were no longer the subject of jeers and abuse, I would hope to be seen as relatively faultless in the matter, having adopted the general attitude some time ago that the way other people live is none of my business so long as they do it in a manner that doesn't do harm to me or others.

There are of course degrees in these matters. Gygax likely gets off the hook more easily than others, if only for not being very influential in the field of assholery. Regressive thought is a personal fault, regressive statements are to be called out as such, and regressive actions are to be thoroughly condemned. Gygax had some rear end in a top hat ideas that he felt worth declaring out loud, well I say he had the wrong ideas. Considering that to my knowledge, he didn't agitate, march, or write professionally for the cause of misogyny, he falls rather short of being on the level of other more egregious examples, though it does not leave him totally off the hook.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 16, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I can agree with that. Hell I would hope that were I well known in the future I would be looked at clearly, faults and all. We only get better by accepting that we have faults, because it is only when we do so that we can truly endeavor to correct them.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

These kinds of things don't come out of nowhere though. While minds do change they do not do so without sizable amounts of support among the populace. PETA right now is the only organization I can think of that is anti pet as a whole, and they would need to pick up a massive amount of public support to expect societal change in the direction of embracing their attitudes regarding pet ownership. The person in the cartoon is someone who has to have lived through that kind change and actively remained stalwart in his attitude regardless of the societal change around him, a dedicated defender of the old status quo.

Sometimes I miss Grog.text. Where else was that poo poo being called out in a relatively public manner.

moths posted:

Cleaning up media has a weird side effect of creating the impression that the past was somehow just this misled, ignorant place and we've all grown up since then. We can applaud Disney hiding Song of the South in a vault, but it doesn't change that audiences of the era ate that crap up. I'm trying to say that this stuff wouldn't have flourished without an audience.

I honestly wish they hadn't hidden "Song of the South." I think it is important for for groups to own their past, good and bad. Hiding it fails to teach the lessons that can be learned from engaging with past failures and attitudes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Even going into the second edition days, which is where I started. I got some books from a family friend for Christmas, and I was unaware they were 1st edition books, though there were some obvious areas where they conflicted with what I was using. Regardless, I used them with my stuff without any kind of worry, just picked the stuff I like from either type. This speaks to an issue I couldn't really see having now but was definitely an issue then. I never even knew there were big differences between the editions of the game, and even if I did, I would not have had any idea as to where to pick up an older edition if I had wanted one. I got whatever they had at the local book store. Ebay and Amazon made the old stuff far more available than it had ever been until their advent.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Last Unicorn Games produced a TOS game, as did FASA before them, so I don't think the holders of the Starfleet Battles License ever had sole custody, just a right to keep producing what they were granted.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 21, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Sell it in an ebay lot with a couple of 3rd party D20 books.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

2nd edition AD&D had a major tonal issue where the text told you to play interesting characters with dreams and plans and motivations, but the rules made you less survivable than you were in 1st edition AD&D.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Is the Hot Modrons thread dead?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The OSR. Obsessing about the 70's. Recreating the 80s.

Obsessive
Seventies
Recreation

I kid. I really got into the OSR stuff when Grognardia was still going and enjoyed playing old games for a while. After his flameout and the realization that the blogosphere is mostly filled with angry luddites, I reevaluated my life and realized I have just as much fun playing a game I don't have to fudge constantly as I do playing one built on the frame of the RPG Model T.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 3, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He apparently has a Empire of the Petal Throne fanzine thing going now, and used to contribute to "The Black Gate." Last post there was January of last year. https://www.blackgate.com/2015/01/13/the-shade-of-klarkash-ton/

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Covok posted:

This line may have actually killed the entire campaign. GM is now 50/50 on continuing the campaign now.

So, is it like rain... on your wedding day?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

As a kid, I LOVED the Cyberpunk Chromebooks. Never mind that they were just big lists of gear and mods and items, there was something really cool about them, or at least there was in the far past of the 90s. I feel like cyberpunk, as a genre, lends itself to that kind of equipment fetishisation (sometimes literally) in a way that pulp adventure like Star Wars doesn't.

It feels that way sometimes, but just looking at the original movies, there is more than enough there to support playing a cyberpunk style adventure in Star Wars. You have ubiquitous cyber-tech, like Luke's hand and Lando's assistant Lo-bot. Vader is basically a cyborg, and though it isn't important to the story, the characters all have their own specific unique looking gear. Also, at least half of the main heroes are the kinds of criminals you expect to play in such a game. Yes you can play it narratively, and it would certainly be a better choice if narrative gaming is your drug of choice. You can also play Blade Runner narratively, as there is nothing in that movie that requires any of the tech to be gone into in an in depth manner. Some people just prefer heavier games, though it is unfortunate that some games do not get lighter alternatives for those who don't. Star Wars and Star Trek could use a licensed narrative game, considering how many attempts have been made on the two of them in a heavier fashion.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Truthfully If you prefer narrative gaming over high crunch gaming, there is no genre where you couldn't come up with a good justification for doing it that way. Even the most oppressive, people with guns dying in the dirt kind of property is emulated better by rules that pay attention to the themes rather than rules that attempt to simulate reality. Reality simulation is almost never the best choice for any sort of storytelling except for the accidental sort, but a lot of people like that sort of accidental storytelling, perhaps a majority of RPG gamers do, and so aside from recent trends, that is what we have been getting.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, personally hate crunchy systems, it was just the idea and concept of these things, just books of cool ideas and tech that you could use. I'm not sure how you'd reconsile that with any kind of narrative system, since it'd just be pure fluff.

The cyberpunk gaming dilemma. Shopping is like at least half of the appeal of Cyberpunk, I love those books full of cool poo poo to put on my character. I like my shopping choices to have mechanical weight, I want my cyber eyes and my M33 Superlazer to mean something beyond eyes +1 and heavy laser gun. Coincidentally, this results in every cyberpunk RPG being a bloated mess of rules and stat-blocks that I can almost never actually get my mind around. Every thing I want in those games is in opposition to the way I like my games to play.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mechanical complexity is also far easier handled in video games, where one doesn't have to look up the rules constantly in order to progress. I mean, one might not always understand how it's working, or necessarily have a good handle on the best ways to do things, but things in video games do what they do regardless of ones comprehension. Shadowrun, GURPS, HERO System. Pheonix Command, nothing is too complicated when a computer is handling the rules for you.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

thelazyblank posted:

Spycraft 2.0 is the d20 Modern GURPS. If you're comfortable with all the moving pieces and have a good group of players, you can make a really fun game that isn't bogged down in numbers and charts. Especially if you have proper cheat sheets for everything that summarize the charts in a much more interactive way.

Unfortunately, if you don't prep well for it, it can get bogged down quickly. I'm surprised no one ever made a Spycraft 2.0 Lite at some point. Or even a 13th Age-style Ode To Spycraft.

A Spycraft 3, using learned lessons from Fantasy Craft was announced some years ago, but as I hadn't heard anything since, I assume its a long dead project.

Edit: Apparently it's still in production. Even had some Gencon presence. Project started in 2010.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 10, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I was going to run a Fantasycraft game for some friends, and I wanted to wait just a little bit longer because "Hey, the magic book is supposed to be out around Gencon this year."

Oops. That was four or five years ago.

"See, that why I switched to GURPS. I am going to pick up the new book at my FLGS tomorrow."

Looks around for a ride, can't find any Vehicles.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I ran an anime game that used GURPS Vehicles and GURPS Mecha and posted my research and designs to the web.

Later, when a RPG came out for that anime, it credited my site as a reference. :prepop:

That's really cool. I actually do like GURPS quit a lot, I was just referencing the fact that 4E Vehicles has basically been "in production" since the new edition shipped in 04.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's one of those things that sounds like a fun idea until you remember how ridiculously defensive people get about their favorite RPGs.

I wouldn't worry about it too much honestly, our CIA ties will keep the haters from being too critical of our decisions. Or else...

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

moths posted:

Traditional games don't really need a Razzie because it would just fuel the recipient's persecution complex and harassment agenda.

Uwe Boll's exist in all mediums. Criticism of work is not a personal attack, but in all industries there will be those who take it that way. What are you gonna do, let them get away with it?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Regardless the award's physical form likely aught to be a pineapple grenade with numbers printed on the frangible's.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Serf posted:

Uwe Boll, to my knowledge, has not sicced hate mobs on his critics and gotten people to send death threats. TG is almost a unique industry in that way.

I say we do earnest, actual awards and not some Razzie garbage that people would expect from us.

You don't think people have been targeted over their public criticism of other media? That is what gamer-gate is. Critics have gotten death threats over their opinion on Superhero movies. Criticism is dangerous no matter the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Serf posted:

Gamergate pertained to video games. Which is why I said TG is almost unique. What fans does Uwe Boll have to send at his critics? I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not he poses an actual threat to people.

This isn't the same thing as having anonymous followers send death threats and post critics' addresses tho.

Uwe Boll was an example, it's not like he solely among all filmmakers has critics. The content creator does not need to approve for fans to be shitheads, they often take that up on their own, and have, in any media where there are a significant number of people to create stars. If anything, criticism is a necessary danger, as those who can't take it or who react in a manner that is dangerous to others should absolutely be put on blast for it.

Death threats over Man of Steel
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/dc-fans-send-death-threats-to-2-critics-a140871

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 23, 2016

• Locked thread