Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I'd say that while GW is still the single biggest wargames company in the UK by a long way, certainly with the kids, it has lost a lot of groupnd on the older gamers who aren't as enthused with new armies, use ebay a lot, and who are willing to try new things. With clubs more important in the meta than stores in the UK then it is whatever you can guarantee a pick up game of at your local club that will do best.

But also Jervis is right when he says most miniatures that get sold never see a tabletop. If people don't game with them and simply collect and paint an army, then it doesn't matter what the local scene is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I'm surprised anyone would trust Tony Reidy and Defiance Games with anything. They're a running joke in the industry.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Feeple posted:

Brian Gregory is a personal friend, and Alyssa has chatted with me more than once. I am not trying to name drop, only pointing out my bias.

I am having a real hard time giving DG the benefit of the doubt. Between the attitude that they were almost coerced into business, the crass throwing stones about how people get let go from jobs, and the plain indignation they have for people responding to an open letter, how were they planning on coming out ahead?

I worked in call centers for a decade. I frequently had to bite back mean, snarky, and plain emotional responses. I am glad I did that, though. Learning to be cool headed and act professional is a trait I'm lucky to have, and continually shocked when others lack it. Why did they think reaching out to the public was a good idea? They should have made a quiet statement about the regrettable circumstances surrounding Torn Armor, and that they are interested in bringing their dealings to a mutually agreeable conclusion.

See? You sound like a company there, not a whiny teenager with an industrial 3D printer.

Defiance games are basically shysters who like to contract work out and avoid paying for it. Tony Reidy used to run wargames factory, and after failing to pay the Chinese factory that actually made the minis for long enough (while blaming them for all the problems, and putting up pre-orders for products that didn't exist) the Chinese factory acquired wargames factory and kicked Tony out.

At that point all the problems at Wargames Factory stopped. To the point where they are now a go to contractor for other mini companies and will take concept art and turn it into minis, as they have done with some of the Malifaux plastics.

Defiance games are a bad joke. The 500+ page thread on Frothers goes into a lot of detail.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a question. I've been out of the industry a few years, I'm thinking of putting out a wargame based on 16th century naval warfare. Not too groggy, play in an evening with some friends, not too much maths, D6 based.

No attached mini line, but there are manufacturers who cover the period.

The question is on the economics of it. I'll be using pictures of miniatures, photographs and paintings from the era, so no artwork costs, but putting together a 120-200 page book (I want to cover a lot of stuff from the period in detail) instead of just a 20 page rules document would be a major undertaking.

I used to do freelance, and I've had some dealings with Mongoose before, but I'm a bit leery pitching a naval game for a specific period to Matt given what has happened with Noble Armada. I initially thought of using a variant of A Call to Arms, but the changes I'd be making to it mean I may as well create a new rules engine.

What's the industry like at the moment? Is it worth working with a publishing company, and does anyone have any recommendations for a historical product, or should I go the Drive Thru rpg self publishing route?

Once I've actually written the entire product, done the layout, sorted the art etc, so all that needs to happen is that it goes to the printers, is it worth kickstarting? I don't want to be one of those people who do a kickstarter and have no product ready or notion of what they're doing.

DriveThru rpg certainly seems the easier route. What are peoples experience of it?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It also means there has been no increase in the 2 cents a word in the 20 years I have been gaming and known about that stuff.

Inflation obviously doesn't happen in gaming and big hardback books are still sold for a tenner.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not sure how anyone paying attention would have any confidence in the DoD regarding sexual harassment and assault. It's endemic to the armed forces and historically under-reported due to complaints having drastic career consequences for the person complaining.

Wasn't it something like 2/3 of active deployment female personnel will be raped and as a woman you are more likely to be killed by your own comrades than the enemy?

And since this an open carry con I take it this guy is fine with someone ventilating metzer for taking a step towards them funny under Stand Your Ground?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I'm wary of accusations of anti-semitism based on someone being critical of Israel, because the right wing of the Labour Party have been accusing left wing Jewish people of being anti-semitic because they support the Oslo agreement or oppose the current Israeli government.

Literally the anti-semitism accusations at the recent conference were made against a former Israeli commando speaking out against the occupation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It's a signal to all new users to sign up with some other similar service instead, because Patreon could do exactly the same thing again. It should really impact new registrations and encourage all the medium fish to diversify.

But all the biggest fish don't need Patreon because they can sell merch or other things directly to their userbase. Look at things like Comic Book Girl 19s Dune Club, which circumvents Patreon, because content creators have been getting screwed by youtube, Google Ads and now Patreon.

• Locked thread