Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Nice! Good job, Fred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

jivjov posted:

Is Evil Hat so above any reproach that any critisism should just be swept under the rug? Am I as a customer of Evil Hat's (I've purchased their products at retail, I'm not just a KS backer), am I not allowed to raise a concern and attempt to discuss it?

Not everybody likes Fate Core. Industry middleweight Gareth Michael-Skarka, for example, is a known critic of Fred Hick's strategy of revealing every business detail and being open about everything.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Just popping in to remind everyone that Retrocausality will never let you down, run around or desert you, and my game is available from DTRPG without having to give your information to a third party. All proceeds will go towards me buying sweet merch at PAX Aus.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Dragging this derail to the right thread this time! :buddy:

nesbit37 posted:

Carcosa has some nasty rituals in it but you most of traditional RPGs have rules built around crafting characters as efficient of killers as possible. That's ok because most people just assume you will be slaying evil as crafted by the authors but if you detail something dark that the players could possibly use, even if ill advised and intended more as something to drive emotion out of players as a GM tool it must be a bad thing.

I am not trying to defend that sword rape thing, especially having not read anything about it beyond what was posted here, but I do get sick of people saying Violence Type A in games is great but Violence Type B is terrible without question no matter what the intent or audience. These are RPGs, people can twist or not twist them however they like. Sometimes it is difficult but fits with the right group and GM and other times it plays out terrible fantasy and dreams people should probably not be having.

The problem with "but why is sexual violence not okay to depict in games when murder is okay?" is that it's a category mistake, which is to say you're comparing two things that are different enough that a comparison of relative value is meaningless. Like if you said "This game about acting out a violent rape is worse than a ham sandwich" or "I'd rather be jivjov than have a wombat poo poo in my mouth". While it's quite likely better to be a rape survivor than a murder victim in real life, it doesn't follow that stories and games about rape ought to be less offensive than (or even equally offensive as) stories and games about murder.

This is why Angela Lansbury starred in Murder, She Wrote and not Rape, She Wrote. Death (or the threat of death) in games fills a number of useful purposes, like increasing dramatic tension by upping the stakes or making things harder . A game like D&D without the threat of death becomes much tamer - yes, there are a lot of ways to threaten the player that don't involve potentially killing them, but death is a particularly dramatic threat! You can easily make a (completely irrelevant, but still valid) case that the portrayal of violence in games is pretty hosed up, but the threat of death is still an important ingredient in these things. Rape or the threat of rape, on the other hand, doesn't just add to the dramatic tension but changes the entire tone of the story, adding feelings violation/humiliation/trauma that death alone doesn't do.

There are a lot of games (from d20 knockoffs to super-crunchy scifi games or whatever) you can make without having to add rape to the mix, whereas a game without the threat of death in it is a very different affair. Rape and murder thus belong to entirely different categories, and trying to link them to say "you don't like rape but you play violent elfgames, check and mate suckas!" doesn't work.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Did Maid's development team want to be "taken seriously" in the way that Misery Tourism's do? I was under the impression it was just a silly little anime game, not a troll/"satire" of power dynamics present in romantic and economic environments between people who hold power over one another.

Come to think of it...

I know a lot of people who claim their games are cutting satire, but how many games are there that are actually satire and not poorly-disguised cheesecake or some poo poo? Do people make those?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Why did they roll with that anyway? I mean is there a reason not to sit the artist down and go "so here's what we asked for, and here's what you did. Can you guess the problem?" other than politeness?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Frankly I'm surprised they decided to help themselves to some miniature ta-tas but drew the line at making them unrealistic. "No, no, we have standards, our softcore topless warriors are going to have real bodies!"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I've been thinking about something for a while, and this post inspired me to talk about it. (Context: Gareth-Michael Skarka finds out a single person backed out of Tianxia because he was involved, loses his poo poo):

quote:

Ah. There we go. The RPGnet crowd begins the "we're not going to back Tianxia because Skarka is tangentially involved" drumbeat.

For gently caress's sake.

I've long considered a blog post about how gamers often use totally over-the-top online hatred to make up for a lack of real-world assertiveness, but we all know this. When you hear "OMG I TOTALLY HATE [object of ire] AND IT IS THE WORST THING ON THE PLANET AND THE SOURCE OF ALL WRONGNESS RRRRAAAAAARGGGGHHH!!!" you know that you're actually dealing with somebody who has to say "yes, sir", and "no, ma'am" and "right away, boss" far too much in their lives.

So, what is it with designers and having problems engaging with forums? Are there any designers (besides Stolze) who interact with the RPG community regularly and not like an idiot?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Because everyone is a huge loving nerd and they can't take criticism. At least in my experience, even the slightest comment will make them circle the wagons and call on anyone and everyone who will support them, to try and shut you up by pretending you're the one who is being unprofessional and a bully.

I remember talking about CthulhuTech on RPGnet back when people gave a poo poo about that and being told that I shouldn't criticise the people who made it because they're designers. :negative:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

Cthulhu + A Thing

You take that back :colbert:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 23, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Darren MacLennan posted:

No; Uri Kurlianchik was the guy who did Gor for Kids.

They've also leapt to each other's defense, incidentally. :buddy:

The reason Desborough keeps getting work is a lot of people (in the RPG industry and elsewhere) don't associate people's work with their beliefs. When someone tasks him to write an RPG for children, they're thinking it doesn't matter that he's an MRA weirdo, or that he wailed about people victimizing him with threatening messages while simultaneously dismissing fans of his sending rape threats to women who criticise him as "not real threats", or that he's written skeevy books about how weird chicks are, added rape jokes and called it "satire", or even that time he posted a 15-minute YouTube video about being banned from RPGnet, because they think that's totally not going to leak into this. Plus geek social fallacies, a lot of gamers are faster to call out people being vocal mean to bigots than actual bigoted behaviour because something something free speech, the RPG industry is insular, etc.

Also a lot of people in the RPG industry are bad at setting standards, and when they do they can be bad at enforcing them because telling other nerds to stop doing a thing is hard, you guys (cf. nWoD going from "There will be no variable target numbers" to "I checked thoroughly to make sure it was virgin design space to work with!").

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also who starts their art budget at $400 for all that poo poo? If you're asking someone to associate with one of the saddest men in gaming the least you can do is not rip them off. :colbert:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ravenkult posted:

That's like big money for indie RPG industry standards, haha.

Well that's kinda hosed by regular standards :colbert:

Also just to be clear this problem isn't limited to lovely dudes or people nobody's heard of. Just the first one off the top of my head: to my knowledge Dungeon World's Sage LaTorra has never publicly voiced support for or even mentioned Inverse World despite openly wishing there were great DW supplements, but he has griped about the creators severing ties with a guy who decided to help with an "edgy" RPG project with a skeevy rape game in it.

If you actually wanted to hurt your chances in the RPG industry a nice fast way is calling out bullshit and people who accept it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Hopefully some day there'll be enough people in the hobby willing to say "gently caress this" to that kind of poo poo that it won't be :shobon:

Things are getting better! Some reminders: Uri Kurlianchik used to write columns for WotC's website and was booted when it came out that he was an apologist for domestic violence, Gareth-Michael Skarka is mostly known these days as an internet tough guy who doesn't finish things on time, Trollman was never rehired by Catalyst for Shadowrun and has basically been reduced to posting homebrew his own forum, and every RPG forum that matters (RPGnet and ENWorld in particular) has been revising and updating its rules to cover sexist bullshit.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
And speaking of forums! In the last few years a lot of major communities have stepped up their game when it comes to showing assholes the door. That's a huge deal, because in this hobby you straight-up cannot ignore them if you want optimum sales.

Take RPGnet (this is an easy one for me to dump :words: on for some reason). Some banned designers cry that RPGnet isn't relevant and they know designers who totally don't go there any more, but they are full of poo poo. Raggi bragged to G+ that he'd "already stopped advertising on there a year and a half ago or so because of how they behave and what they allow to go on", but the truth is he was panhandling there literally right up until his perma. GMS pushes the same "designers don't go there!" line, then unironically asks people to post in Adamant threads for him. I've heard several people (Old Geezer for example) proclaim that they're done with RPGnet and are going to flame out ... once they're done advertising. Even people with actual, real problems with RPGnet (usually people who left of their own accord) often look for workarounds that let them keep getting that sweet RPGnet cash.

It won't destroy their business, but every time some dweeb is removed from a big forum, it directly impacts their influence in the industry. They know it, you know it, feel great about it.

(Hi Darren!)

This is partly why G+ is popular with some groups; it's really easy to set up a big ol' circle jerk where nobody can kick you out, and a lot of people who run communities there like to wring their hands and talk about free speech or "vigorous debate" when the topic of actual moderating comes up as though that and banning pricks are mutually exclusive.

It can be a great place if you know how to use it. Like, 80% of the G+ DW community is great. That's not bad! That's above average.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So how many people have successfully destroyed RPGnet? Taken away its users, made discussion totally better in their own forum, totally owned the mods/admins in a way that really totally smarts, and so on?

:lol:

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Being accepting of people and not kicking them out of real or perceived slights or wrongthink is a circlejerk? I thought that the objective of a forum is to foster debate and to discuss about things. I'm not defending Skarka or Pundit or whatever, but I don't think someone should be kicked out of a community unless he's like, a child rapist or a murderer or doxxed someone (Then again I brought that up on these very own forums before...).

Eh it depends, you don't have to be Aatrek to ruin a forum. IMO it comes down to whether your posts stifle debate.

Like, one of the main reasons Zak S was banned (for example) was because he was so loving dense every debate he weighed in on became a clusterfuck labyrinth of people trying to engage with his floor-to-ceiling walls of text while he tried to discover what everyone else's secret right-wing conspiracy theory was. Ditching that guy actively improved every discussion he never got to post in.

One of the reasons we boot people for bigoted bullshit is to foster debate too, because it makes otherwise good posters avoid the community. Like if we didn't ban people for being like "haha gently caress trannies" a lot of posters wouldn't feel comfortable/welcome showing up.

Obviously you've got to be careful (I am fine with differing opinions if it's not like, hugely racist or something) but you can really improve debate by keeping out the people that just fart in it!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So how many people have successfully destroyed RPGnet? Taken away its users, made discussion totally better in their own forum, totally owned the mods/admins in a way that really totally smarts, and so on?

Elaborating while I'm not on my phone: To my knowledge, 0. Most people with an actual problem with RPGnet are adults who don't go for that poo poo, they either avoid RPGnet and work around that or agitate for change (like part of the reason I said yes to being a mod, I guess).

Also, if you're big and influential enough to call a community out and have it mean something, trying to ~destroy RPGnet~ instead is kind of a PR problem? You don't see anyone at, say, WotC writing angry blog posts about how "RPGNet chooses peace over both truth and justice, just like school districts all over the United States, and unlike my experiences of this sort that were commonplace throughout my childhood I know now how to show how wrong these petty despots are in their actions and I have no qualms in doing so if I'm pushed," because big-name peeps and the companies they work for care about not looking like a huge baby.

Libertad! posted:

It's been a while since I checked EN World, so how recent was this? Last time I posted there (addressing "Sexism in Table-top Gaming" thread), I pretty much encountered a lot of opposition and terrible sexist arguments from a few posters (who were all long-time posters and not newcomer trolls), only one of whom got banned for it. There were some people who called them out on their poo poo and gave me "kudos" point for the thread, though.

Well, back in 2011 some dude posted a bunch of setting fluff that was basically a "women totally want to be raped" wank fantasy, and the staff left him alone while moderating the people who called him out, but they changed their minds on that one pretty quick and I'm pretty sure that'd cop you a ban now. Progress is progress!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

Yes, this.

In an industry where reputation and networking is everything, either don't say anything publicly if you're not willing to follow up your vaguebooking with exactly who you're talking about, or just loving say it.

You add NOTHING to the conversation when you post vague poo poo like this and it happens all the drat time.

Could be worse. A lot of indie designers are passive-aggressive as poo poo and settle for griping about people behind their backs, because apparently calling anyone out for anything isn't The Done Thing. It doesn't help that people who legitimately call others out often get "rewarded" by others telling them not to start drama, directors telling you that the guy he hired just has a different style and you're imagining things, or the guy you called out poo poo-talking you to behind your back to designer friends of his who think it's just an amusing character flaw.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The real irony is I know like ten examples off the top of my head but I can't name them because I promised not to or they work for a largish RPG company and would try to trash my rep if I said anything. :allears:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Winson_Paine posted:

I can dig that, but I think the point for many is they are seeing demonstrable improvement. Does this mean they are going to pulp their core book in favor of a reprinting without those elements? No, of course not. Does it mean they are doing better now than they were from the letter you quoted from two years ago? Sure. Is Wrath a clear improvement over Runelords? Sure. Progress is made. I don't think anyone is saying they are without flaw, but as far as major companies go (particularly given the weirdness around 5e recently) they are certainly showing signs. If it would take PF 2nd Ed (or probably at this point, PF Core Revised is more likely) without the elements you object to included to be printed, that is fine, but flat out denying that anything is happening seems a little much.

This is basically where I am at. I don't think trashing your core book and reprinting it later because you've decided you want to take a few things you said back isn't really a great idea. 3E did that and everyone flipped out!

Ettin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 26, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
GBS 1.4 - Free Carpet Samples Edition › E/N Bullshit › This girl is literally draining my life force, what do I do?

The Crackhead Clubhouse › Magic Fuckmonster Megathread

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I've been doing promo stuff for Breakfast Cult and I decided to put myself out for interviews/more APs etc. What's kind of getting me right now is that there aren't many places that actually do that. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places, but it seems like the available options for someone doing indie work boil down to either hosting your own interviews or small G+ communities of people who probably already scoped out my game interviewing each other.

That's weird!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

what WotC thinks the TRGP trends are.

* picture of 3rd Edition slowly rises onscreen *

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

I think we can all agree we don't want Ettin in our games.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Reminder (probably not needed by many in this thread) that Venger Satanis was banned from RPG.net for literally cursing the userbase because they didn't like his lovely edgelord elfgame.

DriveThruRPG hosed with the wrong guy on this one. Does anyone at OneBookShelf know how to draw the Elder Sign?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

For those who're morbidly curious, here's the Tenkar's Tavern review of Alpha Blue's content.

This is really awkward to read. Dude writes like he's just throwing sentences out there hoping one of them will protect him from the SJWs. :magical:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. I am catching up but in the meantime it'd be great if you could make less posts that are just "this other poster sucks poo poo". Cheers!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know it's funny to laugh at people but it's kind of drifting away from TG as an industry to poke fun of randos on ~the inferior ttrpg forums~, especially with block quoting them here.

:agreed:, please do not recreate grognards.txt in this thread.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That's enough dick jokes for the industry thread. Take it to the chat thread!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

MalcolmSheppard posted:

He has repented of Tarnowski, IIRC. (All it took was a racist screed about burqas!) Mike didn't seem to understand that people were less than forthcoming with him about information about the harassment because he was in direct contact with the perpetrator and basically wanted to run information by that person that would continue the harassment.

I relayed (and found links for) a bunch of things at the request of several people and never heard back, IIRC. I was told that he was just gathering information for his boss and got asked some followup Qs, but that was it.

Did he ever say anything publicly? Not that I don't believe he'd wash his hands of the Marxists are coming to impose Sharia law on gamers! guy, but still.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Well if they're supposed to be so diverse, then why isn't there a single OSR designer on there?" is also an incredible talking point that's been taken up.

Because Paizo does "pressing Ctrl+C on a copy of the Player's Handbook" better.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also does anyone actually go to Origins because apparently I am going now?

Have we ever had a thread for Origins

If I see a thread I'll sticky it for Origins :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If this dude came into my restaurant and started telling me that people who won't let his OC gently caress a teen are the real bigots I'd shove seaweed into his face too, tbh

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

clockworkjoe posted:

Better judges = better Ennies, I think.

Also it sounds like you get a ton of free books that you're not obligated to read. If you meet the criteria I say go for it. :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Ennies don't mean a thing so there is just one thing left to do. Nominate Chuck Tingle.

Not gonna lie, it makes me sad that we've had the "vote for me to spite the SJWs" part of Sad Puppies but not the Tingle parts. You're missing the good bit!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. Not asking the thread to be ~polite and civil~, but it could use a little chill.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Caedar posted:

For due diligence, I'm going to read through Zak's post, but I'd also like some context from this community. If anyone has the energy, could you fill me in? (Probably through PM, since it sounds like this is something that people are tired of talking about.)

I have him blocked and I'm not reading this, but I'm going to take a punt here and guess there's at least one post about how whoever he is sulking about this time is mentally ill and he is a rational ubermensch. :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I don't mind talking about this but how about we don't poo poo up the thread with messages to some offsite dweeb?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. Mind making a thread for setting this up? I get the feeling this is either going to fill the thread for days or be lost the next time something industry-related happens. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Simon Pegg is in the upcoming movie adaptation :negative:

• Locked thread