Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Promo work is hard for indie RPGs - I get a lot of requests for interviews/promos/etc to cover new games and I would like to do it, but I simply don't have the energy to do it. Maintaining the podcast and putting out some kind of creative work on my own is about all I can manage. I've tried to get my co-host and the regular RPPR players to help, but outside of Caleb, I have yet to see anything from them. It's frustrating on my end as well.

You could send out requests for reviews with offers of review copies. That helped Base Raiders get some reviews, I remember. If you know particular game designers/writers/etc you could ask them for reviews/coverage. There's also this: http://rpgkickstarters.tumblr.com/ and Purple Pawn http://www.purplepawn.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Saw a great post on Adam Jury's tumblr about getting into the TG industry: http://adamjury.tumblr.com/post/101976180682/good-day-jessica-my-name-is-corbin-im-writing-to

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Boardgames rather than RPGs, but: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5212

Can't say I saw this coming; both Asmodée and FFG have been doing well, and it's unusual for a big French company to work with anything that isn't German. I wonder what this means long-term for boardgame publishing.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It's worth noting that Asmodee just merged with Days of Wonder in August: http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/25/frances-asmodee-group-acquires-ticket-to-ride-board-game-maker-days-of-wonder/

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Knowing French game publishers, Descent 3 will require constant Internet access to play.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's actually interesting. Are we seeing a new industry giant forming? A less Game of Life-founded Hasbro?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. woops! Wrong thread!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 18, 2014

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Bringing this thread back for a good post about the costs of making a rpg book from Simon Rogers of Pelgrane Press: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2348-Pie-For-Everyone-Just-Sliced-Very-Thinly#.VN45gEJbT9G

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Ettin says we are supposed to take something to the Industry Thread

I do not know what that thing is but somebody should take it here

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
But... but Fyxt is depressing. :smith:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I like this thread and wish I could dish all the bullshit I've heard over the years, but then no one would ever hire me again, ever.

So what I'm saying is, please talk some poo poo about the TG industry.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Don't be afraid to burn bridges if the light from the fires sends the cockroaches skittering.

(I love me some mixed metaphors.)

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well, there's always the ongoing Monte Cook Games debacle.

http://t.co/5hKDEdQgPN
https://www.change.org/p/monte-cool...osed-intent-fro

Shortform version: they wrote an amazingly racist Native American section into their "The Strange" setting and have been busily defending it and silencing or blocking actual real life Native critics for going on several months. Hence the petition.

Thus far, the response to this article/petition has been to:

Create "open discussions" on G+ and Facebook where they rally their fans to mob critics. Also Facebook bans Native American users for using "fake names" so that's already a rocky start for a debate among equals.
Ask for "proof" of namecalling by company people, then deleting of said proof from their Facebook. (That's Shanna Germain calling Natives critiquing the game "internet terrorists.")
NOT deleted poo poo like this.
Realising, perhaps belatedly, what monster they have unleashed.

Bruce R. Cordell in particular has been a gem, blocking everyone even remotely critical of his work - and boosting everything that seems positive to him. While Monte Cook Games is busy stating that they're not blocking people, of course.

Hideki Kamiya you ain't.

Calling critique "lies" because "it's fiction." (Apparently he's also claiming 1/32 Cherokee ancestry lately? I don't even.)

Only REAL GAMERS.

The radio show Native Trailblazers has invited them to talk openly about this all, but thus far it's not looking like a super honest discussion will happen. It's scheduled either this or next friday, probably next.

Do I even have to say why this response is the worst possible?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I was in Las Vegas this week while some friends were attending GAMA. I saw this in the program guide, I really wish I could have attended it, to see what WotC thinks the TRGP trends are.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

what WotC thinks the TRGP trends are.

* picture of 3rd Edition slowly rises onscreen *

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Was that "terrorist" thing in Germain's profile added after this started? She's had plenty of good reasons to say something like that.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
As far as I know, yep. It came up at around the time that Bruce's comment about an "online harassment campaign", on the fourteenth this month.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm imagining the HR guy at Wizards trying to explain to the D&D team what harassment actually is before jumping out the window in frustration.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Plague of Hats posted:

Was that "terrorist" thing in Germain's profile added after this started? She's had plenty of good reasons to say something like that.

She made a direct comment about it on twitter after this had all started; it's pretty directly a remark about this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Calling critique "lies" because "it's fiction." (Apparently he's also claiming 1/32 Cherokee ancestry lately? I don't even.)

This kind of thing has reentered the fallacious dipshit arsenal recently, claiming expertise or experience in order to silence criticism. Of course, it gets really messy when they twist it up with the classic 'not all X...' wank. Not that it stops them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
What bewilders me is how much easier it's become to research other cultures and history in general in the past ten years. When I'm reviewing old Rifts books I do realize that it was still kinda hard to find information on some cultures or societies, not that such is necessarily an excuse, but within my lifetime all you had were the books you can find and if you couldn't find the book you needed... you were just out of luck. And reading is certainly no substitute for talking to the actual people involved, but sometimes when doing stuff for an RPG I need to know what it's like to live life in a different way or in a different place, and I'm amazed at how much you can find. I recently made a blind PC, and didn't want to fall into the usual traps of stereotypes, and you can go around finding a lot of threads where people talk honestly about the subject on SA and elsewhere. I ended up reading a lot more than I needed just because it was good reading, in fact.

Dismissing the experiences of other people these days is just plain callous and lazy, and seeing somebody like Cordell double down on it is pretty disappointing to see.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What bewilders me is how much easier it's become to research other cultures and history in general in the past ten years. When I'm reviewing old Rifts books I do realize that it was still kinda hard to find information on some cultures or societies, not that such is necessarily an excuse, but within my lifetime all you had were the books you can find and if you couldn't find the book you needed... you were just out of luck. And reading is certainly no substitute for talking to the actual people involved, but sometimes when doing stuff for an RPG I need to know what it's like to live life in a different way or in a different place, and I'm amazed at how much you can find. I recently made a blind PC, and didn't want to fall into the usual traps of stereotypes, and you can go around finding a lot of threads where people talk honestly about the subject on SA and elsewhere. I ended up reading a lot more than I needed just because it was good reading, in fact.

Dismissing the experiences of other people these days is just plain callous and lazy, and seeing somebody like Cordell double down on it is pretty disappointing to see.

I'm running Masks of Nyarlathotep and one of my players has a PhD in History. It's been enlightening, to hear his comments about this issue. For example, Masks calls the indigenous people of Australia the Koori, but that only applies to one ethnic community.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What makes this actually worse is that I believe there were signs in the actual material that they did do a tiny bit of research, but apparently just went "gently caress it" afterwards.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is the defence of Thunder Plains that it's a pocket universe created from the Wild West of popular American fiction (and not actually the historical American frontier?) Or is it "this game is fiction so that isn't racist?" (I haven't been following closely.)

Like, the first case could actually be a good teaching tool about cultural stereotypes in the right hands.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The description is that it's supposed to be based on "Native American" belief and basically has the culture as a huge mishmash which coincidentally resembles stereotyped depictions by white people.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moths posted:

Or is it "this game is fiction so that isn't racist?"

It's this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought the defense was "the pocket universe is based on racist fiction so it's not racist on our level"

which is about as valid an excuse as "this fictional woman chooses to present herself in a sexualized way"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also there was the fun part where either they or a fan defender (unsure which, not going to go looking for it because blegh) were like "well, thunder plains is based on human perception of what the native americans were like", which is about as stupid a sentence as you can utter in this situation

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
All of this ignores the fact that even given the most generous explanation possible you still get "the writers - who exist - intentionally decided to add some random racist stereotypes towards Native Americans into their game for no given reason."

Because that first part is what always gets ignored when this poo poo gets bandied about. Someone wrote this. "Thunder Plains" are not an actual loving place that exists, it is a fictional thing that someone sat down and created. Going "oh well it's just how that area works" ignores that it doesn't loving exist.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's what i meant, yeah. sorry, i'm bad at words :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So remember Fyxt? Have you ever wondered what the actual mindset is behind making games like that is?

quote:

Fyxt RPG - Is a double entendre as in same mechanics forever, and does away with RPG game hang ups of the past.

quote:

I just want to address this one part, because I think this is where a lot of people who have not looked in depth at this system misunderstand, this is the exact opposite end of the spectrum from Roll20 and Obsidian Portal. While those are add on tools to use with existing games like D&D, Fyxt is a replacement for D&D. One of the main issues that my group kept running into was this desire to break off from D&D and run modern games, or Star Wars games, but when it came down to it we kept playing D&D because it is what we knew. We didn't want to learn new rule sets, or buy new books, or learn new lore. We just wanted to play. What Fyxt did was give use a very simple rule set that can be used in any type of campaign setting.

It really has freed us from piles of books and hours of rules debate. To answer another question, this game is for story tellers. If you have a story you want to tell as a GM or as a Player, this is the best system to do it in. So many other games try to micromanage RP and other elements of the game that can and should be player/GM defined, Fyxt lets you define your RP. A power may just be a 3x3 AOE that does 4d6 damage at a range of 12, but that is where the system stops. You define what that power is, whether it is a holy fire or a fireball or an orbital strike or a lightning storm. You shape the system to fit the character. Rather than digging through a pile of books to find the one god and one prestige class and one set of spells and feats that will almost fit what you imagined, you craft exactly what you want to play, and the mechanics will naturally blend to fit that concept. This is a game for Role Players.

Look at that.

loving look at it.

That is the mindset of a depressingly large number of people who try to self-publish.

It is fantasyheartbreaker.txt.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand the belief that players are going to stick to slight variations of their favourite universal system because new rules are just so hard to learn and they would be giving up so much facility of play by moving on from a system they already know well. D20's marketing was based on it, but it was self-defeating: there's so much variation under the D20 umbrella that transferring rules for characters, monsters, equipment, etc. from one version of D20 to another isn't necessarily easier than transferring them to a completely different system and just eyeballing it. Is it really a thing? I know it is in the minds of people publishing games, but what about the audience?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The problem is they can't be dissuaded because they will never reach out to, or contact, anyone who would tell them otherwise; they reach these conclusions on their own in an epistemic bubble and don't do any research and just start working on their New and Improved D&D.

Fyxt is just the most spectacular example of this so far. One thing I want to point out is how much of Fyxt reads like "The Secret"; just vague and specious promises on how good everything is when you start apply Fyxt to your RPG! It makes it seem kinda culty and weird, to be honest.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand the belief that players are going to stick to slight variations of their favourite universal system because new rules are just so hard to learn and they would be giving up so much facility of play by moving on from a system they already know well. D20's marketing was based on it, but it was self-defeating: there's so much variation under the D20 umbrella that transferring rules for characters, monsters, equipment, etc. from one version of D20 to another isn't necessarily easier than transferring them to a completely different system and just eyeballing it. Is it really a thing? I know it is in the minds of people publishing games, but what about the audience?

One of the things that this industry needs to understand IMO is that a large number of players basically associate RPGs with a better time in their life (teenage or college years) and are trying to forever preserve these feelings in amber. The game is just a facilitator for unproductive wallowing in nostalgia and escapism into the realm of simpler times. So of course if you replace your college D&D 3.5 game with something new and improved then you've poked a hole in the bottom of the boat that's taking you to the land of teenage enchantment, so to speak.

Edit: Also corporatism and consumerism, of course - but that's in every industry.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 19, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem is they can't be dissuaded because they will never reach out to, or contact, anyone who would tell them otherwise; they reach these conclusions on their own in an epistemic bubble and don't do any research and just start working on their New and Improved D&D.
The only reason I heard of this is because I happened to check RPGGeek. They're on Facebook and G+ but they're not reaching out and connecting with rpg communities or designer groups. They seem to think that all they have to do is set up the account and everyone will just stumble into them. They literally have 4 followers on G+. Four.

And in the RPGGeek thread, people are pointing out the problems, but they're sticking by their guns. They don't seem to understand that "fixing D&D" isn't a viable design goal because it's already been done hundreds of times.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It may be time for some cold hard reality in that thread.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It may be time for some cold hard reality in that thread.

I want to, believe me. I don't even know where to begin. And a large part of me is just saying "wash your hands of the whole thing".

What's that old joke? "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Mastermind posted:

So remember Fyxt? Have you ever wondered what the actual mindset is behind making games like that is?

Look at that.

loving look at it.

That is the mindset of a depressingly large number of people who try to self-publish.

It is fantasyheartbreaker.txt.

Story tellers are a blight on rpgs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I was typing something up for that Fyxt thread and accidently shift-scrolled back two pages and it got eaten.

Truly, it is fate that Fyxt be The Ultimate Heartbreaker Cautionary Tale.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's a Fyxt thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mors Rattus posted:

There's a Fyxt thread?

On RPG Geek they're asking for advice.

http://rpggeek.com/thread/1338190/fyxtrpgcom-needs-reviews

I was gonna give them a no-nonsense "kudos for the effort, I wish you were running 5e because you have more heart and desire then the current WotC team, but this is doomed, please as a fellow family man stop this immediately, you already know you're dead because you know that Fyxt traffic isn't converting to subscriptions and your KS is utterly dead in the water."

But I accidentally removed it. Oh well. Doubt a dude with 13 pages of RPG motivational posters is going to listen to me.

• Locked thread