Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pretty much, yeah. The idea is that you keep your characters, the powers and items you make, and so on on the website. Then you use your phone/tablet/whatever to access it so you don't have to carry around tons of books! And if/when there are changes to the system or errata, then your sheet will be updated in real-time.

Which is a really cool idea that pretty much any other established RPG company could/should do because gently caress carrying around a bunch of books all the time, phones are ubiquitous nowadays, and it makes it a lot easier to set poo poo up (and no one loses their character sheet by accident).

It's just tied to...that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

What a piece of poo poo.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Just remember, James Raggi apparently likes Varg.

An oroboros of poo poo etc etc

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Professional scam artist game designer GMS tells it like it is.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

GenCon has released a letter/statement/thingy in regards to Indiana Governor Mike Pence's support of SB101, a.k.a. the "legal discrimination against them homos" bill.

Short form: GenCon LLC points out that they host one of the state's largest conventions, that they bring in people from around the world and don't give a gently caress about anyone's orientation/gender/beliefs/whatever, and that if he signs the bill into law they'll take their $50 million worth of economy that normal goes into the city around contime and go someplace that doesn't discriminate and call it "freedom of religion".

gently caress. Yes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

So apparently GMS is blocked by @Gen_Con

GenCon only wants to talk to developers who make games. Seems fair to me.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Anime hair and noodle people arms?

Giant yaoi hands.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Quarex posted:

I really am specifically wondering about Frank Mentzer though, as he is I believe the only major designer from the early days (who anyone credits with improving the game anyway) still living?

I think he still goes to GenCon every year, so he's alive and kicking. Him and his wife ran 3 bakeries for several years before closing them down in 2008, and then went on to create Eldritch Enterprises, which is pretty Geocities in design.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Gerund posted:

The FTC is now coming for failed Kickstarters.

Some of this is growing pains, but a lot of it is bad business decisions.

I wonder how they'll deal with games that aren't cancelled, but are massively overdue with no ending in sight, like Far West.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

On the other hand, ugh, AGE, ugh, boring fantasy races and ugh, Wil Wheaton's face. :v:

If it helps, Wheaton gets eaten by a shark in the first five minutes of Sharknado 2 :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Games Workshop still doesn't really believe that the internet and computers are more than a fad.

It can't be stressed enough that GW still thinks they're the biggest, nay only game in town, and that it's still the 90's in terms of how they can do business. They're an incredibly insular company that does no market research, and does not advertise their business, and does not listen to their fans in any capacity whatsoever.

This whole Age of Sigmar nonsense is peak GW in terms of not knowing their intended audience.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

So there's like zero chance that there's some value to be had from this massive change to Warhammer and we're all just too dumb and/or uptight to see its wisdom?

If AoS takes off, Fantasy as we knew it is dead. If it flops, Fantasy as we knew it is dead.

It's a zero-sum game for long-time WHFB players, because the game and world they liked is gone and replaced with not-40k, complete with not-marines and their not-emperor. There's no longevity with the rules either, because unless they squat all the other existing factions and start anew, all the rules for existing models are out there; there's no room to bring out army/faction books, and the rules are so garbage that they'd have to apply a massive amount of fixes and rewrites to make it even halfway enjoyable.

It's astounding how all-in GW is going on a game that looks like it had the bare minimum amount of effort put into it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Payndz posted:

Is there a reason why GW charges such insane prices for its minis other than "Because we can, gently caress you"?

That's basically the entire reason, actually.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Check the comments of the LAKOTD kickstarter; Jolly pretty much blew up at Whitman a few hours ago and laid out some behind-the-scenes problems.

Ken Carlson posted:

There's nobody getting you "out of this mess", Mr. Whitman. There. Is. No. Way. Out. There's no industry icons left to e-mail who would do something so foolish. The career of running, then disappearing or finding an investor, and finding a fresh crowd of rubes, it's finally over now, in many ways.

:allears:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I can't wait to see the spin people put on this. It's going to be hilarious.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

I doubt Mearls is rubbing his hands together in glee at making GBS threads on 4e, but he's clearly got ideas he's wedded to that didn't do any favors for 4e, and hey they're not doing 5e any favors so maybe he's just a bad game designer. As cartoonish as some of our industry's villains can be, plenty of people just don't think about what they think.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Is 5e even selling that well? Because this seems like either a desperation move for attention, or them dumping it out there because it's not worth making official content for.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

It's the #1 game on Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds by a long shot.

That doesn't really surprise me given that it's D&D, but I mean in terms of sales. I don't know anyone who is actually playing Next--they're all either sticking with 3.PF or doing other, non-D&D games. No LGS nearby is running any games of Next insofar as I can tell.

Admittedly I stopped paying attention to Next some months ago so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

rkajdi posted:

That's awesome, but I worry about abuse. As in, a bunch of gamer MRAs filing false reports on whoever is their current "SJW ruining our hobby" and getting stuff taken down or demonetized. Considering it's a small community and nerds are the worst, it seems like a plausible thing. The proper answer is actually reading and vetting what you are selling on your platform, but a lot of the e-commerce stuff I've seen is as low-effort as possible.

There was a lot of noise coming from the usual grog.txt alumni, but like with anything involving them, it was all talk and no action.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

moths posted:

Their plan was to aggressively report role-playing games that weren't somehow regressive or lovely.

They probably gave up looking after a month.

A month is being generous.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Battleship is 100% worth a watch because it's like they had two directors make two completely, diametrically opposite films about the same thing and just cut them together. It's bad, but it's also amazing.

So like a Godfrey Ho film?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/216504408

They're asking people to cut up their own old game books, scan it, arrange the PDFs, host it themselves, let DTRPG download it and review it, and potentially rehost the file for resell back to the market, for 50 dollars store credit.

They don't have the 2e Player's Handbook?! gently caress me I got two of them for free, they're one of the easiest things to find.

I do have the BEC side of Basic, AND the combat shield. Tempting.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Not only did 5e players get the game that they wanted, Mearls got to make the game he wanted. At no point during the playtest was any of the feedback given any serious consideration; right from the get-go, Mearls wanted to make HIS edition, HIS Dungeons and Dragons, to make is definitive mark on a decades-old system. Hell, you can tell he wanted it back in 4e, when he released the abortive Essentials line, and how that tried to regress a number of mechanical decisions* made prior. Some say he actively sabotaged 4e at this point, so that he could get full creative control over D&D. I'm willing to believe that, because right after that the game tanked and never really recovered.

There was no way Mike "40d20 rats" Mearls was going to let anyone ruin his D&D. Not players, not WotC, not Penny Arcade; nobody was going to stop him from releasing the exact game he wanted, come hell or high water. 5e is a purely ego-driven product, coated with a fine layer of tummy-feels mechanics, where nothing new or exciting is presented and everything is exactly as you remember it before Big Bad 4th Edition came by and kicked sand in your face. It's all regressive, from the presentation to the math, and 5e seems to actively fight against anything progressive or interesting from tainting their hallowed pages. In the hands of a good editor and competent playtesting you might have gotten something if not good, then at least functional, but nothing in 5e works; it's got all the same warts as 3e and then some, because as others have said it's actively done away with improvements from past editions and just vomits out what people feel the game should act like, rather than how it should act like.

D&D needs to be mothballed. Let it rot in a closet for three, five, ten years, until people have mostly forgotten about it and the toxic elements of the hobby have either died out or wandered off into obscurity. No one working on it now knows what the gently caress they are doing, and no one who wants to write for them currently has any idea what makes a good system or not. D20 needs to get flushed down the collective drain so it stops making such a loving stink.

* Fighters that can only fight being the biggest culrprit here; all they can do is swing their sword over and over and over and over--

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

While I agree with you 100% on this, the sad fact is that it'll never happen as long as people can retroclone to their heart's content. I'm not saying that retroclones are inherently a bad thing, just that people will refuse to let go of D&D as it sinks into the depths.

They'd be selling themselves to a smaller and smaller audience, and eventually die out altogether (or be so niche as to be unimportant). Grogs are grogs and that poo poo won't ever truly die out, but I'm hoping that they'll just fade away when there's nothing to fuel their obsessions.

quote:

This reminded me of another thing that drove me nuts about the whole 4e-bad/5e-good thing: WotC never loving policed their community stuff. At all. The toxic voices drove the 5e playtest because they were allowed to keep being loud and toxic.

Like, looking at the D&D Facebook page during the 4e era was a loving mistake on every level because anything posted about 4e wound up accumulating countless shitposts about how 4e isn't D&D and dumbed down WoW for babies and all that poo poo. And if I'm someone who's interested in getting into this whole D&D thing because of PA or whatever, odds are than in the 2010's I'm going to hit up Facebook and see what's there. And what I see there is a bunch of howling assholes throwing their poo poo, so hey maybe I'm not as interested as I thought I was.

WotC should have been stamping down on the biggest whiners, not just letting them piss in the well.

I think that would require WotC to get their head out of their rear end and hire competent people to manage their digital end of things.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Basic gets completely left out of this discussion...like, Mearls would discuss the progression from D&D to AD&D to AD&D 2 to D&D 3 to D&D 4 without acknowledge its existence until not long before they released the 5e "Basic."

That's likely because Basic "lost" the "war" between it and AD&D. This is despite Basic selling something like a million copies at its high point, and introducing a ton of people to D&D.

It's telling that 2e just built upon AD&D and did away with the easy-to-learn Red Box material in lieu of overly-complicated rules.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. Even Monte admitted it was a bad idea in retrospect.

Considering he made Numenera, I'm willing to say Monte didn't really learn his lesson there.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Yes. They released anniversary editions of OD&D, 1e (including UA and a few module series) and 2e. I would have loved a Rules Cyclopedia re-release.

WotC is hell-bent on pretending BECMI never existed.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

James Raggi posted:

The tone and content of these arguments really are identical to Satanic Panic-era nonsense.

"Righteous blowback"? Seriously?

:laffo:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

It's just a ploy for attention. He knows perfectly well his target audience is people that already shop at Raggi's storefront and he'd get a better cut there anyway.

I'm gonna go back to forgetting this guy exists.

Pretty much.

There's no stakes here. His book was pulled for review and will, in all likelihood, get switched back to public in two weeks or less with no further hassle. If somehow it does get taken down, then not-Aurini can use that to make a little more noise and then move his book to some other storefront, whereupon it will languish at the bottom barrel of mediocrity for the rest of eternity. At most, he's inconvenienced for a couple weeks. DriveThru doesn't give a poo poo because they're Drivethru and there's thousands of titles that sell better.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

At this point, there are several people in the business who really are only notable at all for stirring up poo poo. Without the skeletons to rail against, Chris Fields and that Grim guy are just mediocre D20 bandwagoners, plying their trade years after the wagon ran out of gas.

Controversy is a way to hide their crippling lack of talent.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Indeed. This seems to strike the silly idea that OBS would have anything close to draconian censorship dead in the water.

You and I both know that won't be the case. Prime example being:

Pundowski posted:

OBS Turns Around, Quickly Reinstates Alpha Blue, But This Resolves NOTHING

So, it is a victory, kind of!

Alpha Blue author Venger Satanis is now reporting that he had a conversation with Steve Wieck where the latter agreed to reinstate Alpha Blue. This after they had earlier pulled Alpha Blue and threatened to keep it out for up to two weeks while they 'reviewed' the case, based on complaints made by some Pseudo-Activist Swine who found the slightly naughty game offensive.
This was only possible because OBS has already surrendered to the notion of allowing this Outrage Brigade to act as CENSORS over the gaming hobby.

Now, it is great news that Alpha Blue is back and that once again Wieck has chosen to stand up for the right of these RPGs to exist, though it doesn't change the fundamental issue. I mean, what's to stop SJWs from mass outrage and pushing Wieck to fold and ban it again, which is exactly what happened with 'tournament'?

They are bound to be angry about this, and Wieck has a perfect track record of submitting to their demands thus far.

It also doesn't change the deeper issue: that the whole 'report button' process of pre-censoring books while they are 'under review' is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG. It is deeply offensive. I'll go so far as to call it an active EVIL.

And let's see whether the 'white list' really means anything or not. Remember, Wieck so far has a PERFECT track record of SURRENDER and APPEASEMENT to the SJWs. We'll have to see what happens now when Tracy Hurley or Fred Hicks or any of the usual suspects start to raise up a ruckus about how Wieck is "enabling rape culture" by having "endorsed" Alpha Blue. We'll see just how long his newfound lack of utter spineless cowardice holds

It's great that Alpha Blue is back (and now has the theoretical promise of never being pulled again, though I suspect that promise isn't worth the paper its written on). But this doesn't change the fact that the book SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CENSORED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Lorenzetti Quiete + Gawith's Commonwealth

The usual suspects will harp on about this endlessly no matter the outcome. You literally cannot appease these people.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

The usual band of idiots are only complaining as loudly as they are right now because they feel threatened that their position of privilege is being pulled out from underneath them.

Which it totally is. Just not in the way they think it is.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

I guess it'd appeal to people who like ERP by chat or pbp

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I can see it being a big thing online (as it can be)

Yeah, but you don't need rules for that. There's a sizable section of online roleplayers that don't use rules at all and just wing it as they go along, assuming good faith in other people that they won't godmode or anything. Hell, a lot of these players are only vaguely familiar with the tabletop variants and many haven't even played one.

I really don't know who those books are made for, beyond toilet reading or morbid curiosity/F&F reviews. They fill a niche no one wanted or asked for.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

tl;dr: "poo poo my boss came in this morning and caught up on all this mess."

Justin probably yelled at him for a good few hours about that muck-up.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Zak S is that you

Nah, the grammar is too good.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I take it back, he's basically Zak S.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Libertad! posted:

It's more video game than tabletop, but the Baldur's Gate fandom shares a large userbase of tabletop gamers.

So some folks are mad about the latest Baldur's Gate expansion. One of these reasons being very stupid, about an NPC being transgender.

Ed Greenwood swooped in to weigh in on the issue, notably his sadness at seeing the negative reaction.

I think those people are being overshadowed by the ones complaining that the expansion is a buggy crash-prone mess.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

senrath posted:

Given that I've only heard of the people complaining about the trans character and how SJWs have ruined Baldur's Gate, I'm not sure about that.

That's how I heard about the game, but upon checking the Steam page the first 4-5 reviews are just about how it crashes a lot and that the writing isn't up to Bioware's level (:laffo:).

Loading more reviews sure shows...something, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Personally I've never clicked with any of the Infinity Engine games save Icewind Dale, but I bought Dragonspear out of anti-spite.

Most cRPGs never clicked for me. Fallout, BG, Planescape: Torment, etc.--that kind of isometric style of RPGs was something I never played as a kid, so none of it holds any sense of nostalgia or importance for me. I honestly find them to be slow, plodding, boring affairs, and mostly a slog to get through in order to get to the so-called "good" stuff.

• Locked thread