Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

The Big Hero 6 approach. "Fantasy Fury Road" might be all the elevator pitch you need to sell it to execs.

"It's like Mad Max but with mutant elves and the wizards from Heavy Metal" is just what I was thinking for Dark Sun.

Also, "it's like Indiana Jones, except the Nazis are vampires and instead of guns there's magic wands" for Eberron.

Payndz posted:

Just making the setup like Jumanji (or the old cartoon) is probably the best bet if the movie ever gets made. Embrace that D&D is a complete mish-mash of every mythical or fantasy world ever created, and have a bunch of players who get sucked into the game world by a magic d20 or whatever undergo the Last Action Hero/Galaxy Quest arc, turning from mocking unbelievers through panicking that the dangers are real and everyone they meet takes it deadly seriously to ultimately become genuine heroes. I'll take cash, not bitcoin, please.

if they make it a Warcraft knockoff, they'll be inspired by the movie of the game that was inspired by, er, themselves, and it will be poo poo.

I could totally see the Jumanji/Goosebumps thing, with magic stuff escaping into the real world and the main characters have to fix everything. Drop in some of the weirder and more unique-to-D&D monsters like mind flayers and rust monsters and have it as a backdrop to a "divorced businessman father reconnects with his kids and also ends up beating up some monsters with old LARP props" plot or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

While I like EX3, it is not something I'd defend Morke or Holden from but rather a reason I have to kill them, in real life, with weapons

:yeah:

Impermanent posted:

rpgnet moderation is an amazing example of the worst of civility discourse norms combined with a complete lack of accountability.

It really says something that I vastly prefer the moderation of this lovely comedy forum where people get tempbanned on random whims over the moderation at the supposed quasi-professional gathering point for tabletop publishers.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The whole "rules that make you feel like the character" thing is why I really liked Exalted 2e's Infernals. The system as a whole was crap, but that particular subsystem included a lot of things that pushed you using mechanics to act in theme as a weird villain (or antihero), like "you never have to roll Compassion for hurting mortals" or "you get natural armor based on how many specific people you deeply hate" or "you never have to sleep, but if you try to sleep (to regain Willpower), you have to roll or suffer terrible nightmares".

occamsnailfile posted:

Any modern attempt to lure that crowd into a formal RPG would need to be cheap as hell, either through an affordable really wide release with a huge property (Twilight or Harry Potter or something) or a bare-bones mini RPG that costs very little.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 5, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Freeform is badass but no one here has the balls to run one

The real question is, will it be set in a spooky summer camp where nobody can leave for poorly articulated reasons and feature a bunch of mutually thematically incoherent crossover fanfiction characters who end up in awkwardly forced romantic pairings?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Daeren posted:

Mummies, as a rule, are not subtle to anyone but mortals, barely. Mummies in a mixed setting would pretty much inevitably kick down the door in approximately ten seconds and yell RETURN THE SLAB before choke-slamming somebody through the Spanish announcer's table.

I want a setting like this.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Down With People posted:

EDIT: I really can't understate how much better it is to be able to make fun of someone for being a loving weirdo instead of having to treat them like a serious adult no matter what they're saying and if I'd learned that earlier I could have saved myself a lot of lovely online experiences honestly.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

It'd also make it easier for people to actually express their concerns to you because they wouldn't be afraid that questioning your authority would be met with snide dismissal at best and red text and infraction at worst. When McFarland banned Jon Chung from talking about Exalted and I called into question whether he should be the one doing that, the last post before the lock was a moderator ridiculing that I'd talked about "conflicts of interest".

This stuff is the biggest problem I have with RPG.net. I mean, hell, I got a day suspension once just for saying that the stickied post with guideline stuff in Trouble Tickets needed to be improved.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cessna posted:

With absolutely no snark or hostility, I'm really hesitant to do that, because we have been so burned by letting things spiral out of control in the past. (From 2002 to roughly 2012.)

Someone would do something blatantly against the rules. Not little stuff, but often stuff that was flat-out illegal. We'd step in and stop it.

This would immediately lead to a thread in Trouble Tickets where people would demand to know why we DARED to stop them from posting illegal stuff, then others would dive in, trying to pick apart every possible thread of contention, opening up dorm-room theoretical debates on "what is the nature of justice" or "what is truth" and on and on. Threads for a single warning would reach a hundred posts or more. This went on for years.

It became clear that we just did not have the time to address every concern. On a forum full of gamers, people love to rules lawyer, and they will do it over every. Single. Thing.

There is substantial middle ground between "not responding to users" and "endlessly responding to users about something that obviously will never change for legal reasons".

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 1, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Oh, the other thing that bothers me with RPG.net is that even the merest bit of sass can result in tone-policing infractions, even when it's completely warranted in the context of the thread. It literally only took me a few seconds to find an example of that on the front page of Trouble Tickets.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

As someone who used to post on RPGnet and doesn't anymore, I think it is intensely hosed up that you have moderators who are professional game developers. How could anyone expect an unbiased discussion of their games? How can anyone expect that criticism of their work will not result in a ban? Saying that they're not allowed to moderate threads on their own work is disingenuous, in part because nobody polices them and in part because they could just as easily ask another mod to step in on their behalf.

RPGNet is too big a community to be this weirdly incestual with, specifically, Onyx Path/White Wolf game developers. You're going to dismiss this because that's what you do, but you really really need to consider it.

:siren: WTF, Matt Mcfarland's wife is still a moderator. You don't think that presents a problem? :siren:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I would say one in which we can call, say, a person who has lied repeatedly and excessively about Kickstarter fulfillment a liar and a cheat.

As I recall, you can still get in trouble for saying Gareth Michael Skarka is either of those.

Kevin Siembieda and Mark MacKinnon also come to mind here as figures who are undeniably untrustworthy jerks, and under a functional set of forum rules people should be allowed to label them as such.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Darwinism posted:

I think that kinda points at the whole problem that the mods in question didn't seem to understand - it sounds like an okay choice (7 day probie) was made for the wrong reasons (because FATAL-defenders are a group lol) but since they arrived at an okay end-point (idiot gets time-out) that means they have an acceptable system and there's no reason to change things ever and how dare you imply that they need to change anything after it turns out they were harboring a sexual assaulter for years (which is just in addition to the incestuous, opaque modding already in place).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I am interested in something about its production though - there was a lot of hay made about its layout being special and unique, and I have no idea what that ended up being/not being.
Anyone know what was up with Ex3 layout hype?

People at OPP who never noticed that Eclipse Phase and D&D 5e both set a much higher bar for "excellent layout" than they've ever managed, and also trying to desperately justify the huge amounts of time they spent on a layout that's bog standard for RPGs these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I assume “layout” here is purely visual, because the information organization of 5e PHB is a mess.

Yes.

Well, I mean, it's still got Ex3 beaten in organization, too (just compare the combat sections), but the nitty gritty of how the text is laid out, layering and position of art, etc is way, way better than any of Ex3's bog standard RPG layout "drop in rectangular art pieces that are sometimes full bleed" stuff.

A simple example is page 38-39 of the 5e PHB, where the text, the art, the sidebar, and the quote are all laid out excellently, and you can tell they carefully tweaked the art and text on page 39 to work perfectly with the left-hand column (look at how "They live much longer..." breaks on "live" instead of "much") and even to mesh perfectly with the chapter title text next to the page number.

Compare to page 40 of Ex3, where they didn't even make all the text flow smoothly with the art it's trying to haphazardly wrap around, or page 122 or page 126, where there's just a rectangular art box dropped in at the top or bottom of a page without even being actually full bleed (but part-bleed enough to actually just be more noticeably off).

• Locked thread