Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

It also ran into some problems elsewhere - identification of any kind of science with the evil forces of anti-imagination, in a lot of its books. Also a lot of creepy sex stuff for a game in which the average PC was under 18, but I think that was more on the fact that the writers usually forgot the average PC was under 18.

Which was weird on its own, considering what brought the noble fae back to Earth was the Apollo moon landing. Literally science creating wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

They appear to have kept their hands off of V20. But they're trying to Steer Werewolf back to where it was in 1st Edition, where the Garou nation was heavily fractured and the tribes infought with each other like bored rage filled Vampires. Also every tribe is it's worst stereotype cranked up to 11. Rather than Revised where everyone had simmered down due to, you know, the loving Apocalypse.

But M20 is being written by Brucato and has a sidebar about Magykal Hermaphrodites so.... yeah.

Careful, seeker! Names have Power.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly, the more I think on it, the more I think D&D is a gateway into tabletop wargames than RPGs. It's got a lot more in common, for me, to my 40k games than it does to say, Apocalypse World or even Shadowrun.

It certainly wasn't uncommon at the game store I worked at for the kids who came to game to have their attention to drawn the people pushing brightly colored miniatures around and ask what's all the hubbub with these orks and armored men and those weird Alien rip-offs. Very rarely did they come up and ask, "Hey, I loved D&D - do you have something that tries to cross its tropes with, say, cyberpunk?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe in the oWoD? I mostly remember that there were some werewolves from Egypt who were kept out of the place, because of reasons.

Set laid down a curse and kept the Striders out, thanks to an ancient beef.

quote:

Mummy: the Resurrection is its own weird thing, primarily because the mechanics were set up so that it wasn't actually possible to play outside the Middle East, but the game was deceptive about telling you this.

I remember being told that the OTHER Mummy: The Ressurection book that came out explained a whole lot and made Mummy a better game, but I didn't really care by that point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Down With People posted:

Faithful of Shulpae. I mean I don't doubt Ashwood did it, but the Faithful actually got an Endowment out of it. Anthropophagy lets the Faithful have Dread Powers equal to however many pounds of raw god flesh you can stomach.

And I doubt Ashwood would be jejune as just eating it. They'd probably freebase into their eyeballs or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The thought, she has occurred that a Mummy game might be interesting for a solo game but what does a group of Mummies do? Like... if they're keyed to the same relic then they'd want to beat each other up and take it. If they don't wake up at the same time... then you've got just the one gadding about the night playing Paleolithic Repo Man and even if some were awake at the same time wouldn't they have barely anything to do with each other? I mean, I guess they could work out some kind of compromise to 'help me and I'll help you' but I've seldom read a summary of a game that did so little to tell me why the PCs are working together. Being a pack, I get. A group of newbie vamps trying to carve out a holding in the city, sure. Even Sin-Eaters probably hang around for reasons of... I dunno, probably like that movie Flatliners. Here? ::shrug::

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ross Payton of Role Playing Public Radio had a patron-only side-project called "WoD The Heck", wherein he was doing read-throughs of World of Darkness books and watching the reactions of his various hapless guests.

He wrote today that he was ending the series because of the anti-vaxx, anti-abortion and transphobia in the recent Werewolf book, as well as Mark Rein Hagen's morally compromised views towards Nazis.

It is a little depressing that, coming up on WoD stuff as I did, while in the past they got stuff hilariously wrong you could at least probably say in most cases their heart was in the right place. The first time I noticed gay NPCs in any RPG was in Vampire (admittedly, it was one personality of an MPD Malkavian so we are in a two steps forward situation). Not even saying they had a lock on it, and they certainly didn't get it write even a lot of the time, but it was something they pushed.

And now not only have they done a huge u-turn* they seem to be accelerating towards the largest heavy object they can crash into possible.

*No, wait, I forget that they totally have friends of example minorities that prove they're not <blank>-ist, ha ha.. ha.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

I really don't understand how the new Werewolf is supposed to play out, particularly with politics the way they are recently. "We're going to save the environment, but we're doing it our way, no negotiation, and we'll kill you if you disagree. Also women why aren't you pregnant yet." Strikes me as a villain faction, and not even a very compelling one.

Makes one concerned for the Black Furies, huh? One of their crimes is not going to want to be pregnant all the time. I know it. Also I feel like they're going to have a Riot Grrl camp, because that will be the last vaguely feminist group the writers will have heard of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Apparently the black furies have decided to stop helping humanity because they aren't sufficiently woke.

Seriously.

Oh, Lord, they're going to have a Riot Grrls Camp, aren't they?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Also remember the MET rules that got spoiled where the Garou get a rite that lets them turn people with a Bite, but it has like a... 5% survival rate, and they're using it on all of their kinfolk in an idiotic and short sighted attempt to shore up their numbers. Doubly so because the people who survive are rendered sterile.

Which is probably why the nuGarou Nation is so angry about birth control, the people who can breed need to pop out a ludicrous amount of babies to keep up with the rates of attrition they're creating, and they need true breeding garou to keep up their stock of 'recruits'.

I've interacted with Ethan Skemp a bit over on RPG.net. Seems like a nice guy. I like a lot of what he did for Revised, and wonder if he either does his level best to ignore what's being mentioned about the new stuff or just sighs a lot and keeps on walking down the road to the Incredible Hulk's ending TV theme.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

In a way this whole thing about "well clearly there's an untapped market for people who don't want to pay full price for these games" reminds me of how these days you can find plenty of good, fun video games on Steam in the $30-40 price range, which is very reasonable for that sort of thing compared to even non-special editions of AAA console blockbuster releases which can be twice that price, and yet you still get tons of people looking at that and going "ehhhhhhh I'll wait until it's like 60% off during a sale." The devs who made Brigador had a big long thread full of people going "why are you selling this game for $30, you should sell it for $20, you'd get so many more people buying it if it was cheaper" even after explaining to them the cost in time and labor that went into creating the game and why $30 was actually a reasonable price point.

I still remember the people who went all the entire way out of their drat minds when Skull Labs wanted half a million to animate a single fighting game character. And people who worked for AAA fighting game studios were like, "Huh, that's pretty cheap, actually."

This led to the classic Twitter exchange where Skull Labs was chided for being in the 'fighting game business, not the rent-paying business.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, it's an interesting idea, but, who do you get?

Like, I'm thinking back to big bans of yore and trying to imagine myself explaining to a third-party who isn't a big follower of roleplaying games why somebody like Kaiu Keiichi or Jon Chung needed to be got rid of so they could vet that decision. (Part of the trouble with spotting patterns of passive-aggressive behavior is that you have to follow someone's behavior reasonably closely to spot it, which is why I had to follow KK around for a year closing documenting everything he did in a Why Kaiu Keiichi Should Be Permabanned thread before it actually happened.)

I remember that. Somebody popped up immediately to ask how shitposting was defined. He also enjoyed his pet theories about White Wolf, like them tanking Mage to make Vampire sell more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

unseenlibrarian posted:

Look, it's hard to go through life when your gaze is just that intense.

Indeed. It was like he was granted a Zeus-like potency that mandated him to creep up on anything with a pulse and the real crime would have been resisting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what was Holden's fall from grace? I've never paid attention to Exalted in recent years, save for knowing Holden was big on 3E and that he was also an RPG.net mod and now neither is true?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

My general impression is that Holden and John were basically okay with this because they'd been told they could make "boutique" books and not be part of a supplement treadmill. Which is probably true, but Rich Thomas probably didn't actually mean "go ahead and take three years per book" and eventually things reached a crisis point where he said "okay, just give me whatever you have for Arms of the Chosen and I'm going to whip that into something publishable."

At this point Holden and John refused to turn over their manuscripts, got fired, and Rich Thomas hired Robert Vance and Eric Minton as the new devs, and they rewrote the book from scratch and had it out as a PDF preview in four or five months.

Good heavens. That'd do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Are we going to drag backstage RPGnet mod drama public? Because I was under the impression that this was considered bad form but if anything goes I'm more than happy to oblige you here.

Eh, I wouldn't want to see you banned at the Big Purple, Kai. At the least I want to see how Morgrave turns out.

• Locked thread