Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Abu Dave posted:

EA was just as guilty as Activision in killing the genre with over pressing titles with track packs also. I never understood the logic behind forgetting that like, 20 track packs existed to be bought at retail stores, also helping to clog the market.

There were 6 track packs over the course of 3-4 years. Adding in Green Day, that's about one every six months, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Have they said if instruments/DLC will be backwards compatible? I know not all DLC might be able to transfer due to licensing/rights bullshit (I do hope they try and let you transfer what the industry allows though) but there's no technical reason instruments won't work right?

The last singstar game had a really good idea letting you use your smartphone as a mic if you don't have one (or enough, if you're multiplayer)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Spalec posted:

Have they said if instruments/DLC will be backwards compatible? I know not all DLC might be able to transfer due to licensing/rights bullshit (I do hope they try and let you transfer what the industry allows though) but there's no technical reason instruments won't work right?

The game hasn't been announced yet, so we know literally no details. For all we know, it might have a PS3/360 version.

A page or two back, someone said that peripheral compatibility is really hit or miss for 360->XB1 and PS3->PS4. It might be possible for them to bundle driver updates with a new RB game? I don't know.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

pksage posted:

Must-haves:

- Make the "next letter/category" button into a "page down" button instead, where holding it down still gives the list of all letters

Nice-to-haves:

- Voice search for the song library (DC does this with Kinect)
- DaWolfey's SmartGlass playlist suggestion (DC does this as well)
- A few different Breakneck settings (Fast, Faster, Fastest)
- Breakneck speed per player instead of game-wide
- Tying mics to instruments, both superficially (to avoid switching the vocals controller in and out when adding/dropping keys) and/or meaningfully (special voxtar HUD, on-stage animations, etc.)
- Stage/venue animations that are closer to RB2's
- Option to completely lock out all instruments but one from doing literally anything on the song select screen
- Custom filters for the song select screen; i.e. you can tag songs with a color/symbol and then only show songs of that category

I think I love all of these, but I'd add that with the color list thing the ability to hide songs should be easier. IIRC I have to go in and rate any song I don't want to see a '1', and then rate everything else a 2 or higher, then only show songs with ratings of 2 or better. I mean it's possible but hardly intuitive. Just an option with a confirm message and make it easy to undo too in case some drunken joker hides all my songs.

I also thought breakneck speed per instrument was already a thing. :shrug:

How does the voice search work in DC in a crowd of rowdies? I imagine in my RB settings that having 6 different people talking at the same time would confuse poor stupid kinect.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

CzarChasm posted:

I also thought breakneck speed per instrument was already a thing. :shrug:

How does the voice search work in DC in a crowd of rowdies? I imagine in my RB settings that having 6 different people talking at the same time would confuse poor stupid kinect.

You have "Individual Track Speeds", but all that does is give you non-Breakneck Expert scroll speed if you're playing with others on a lower difficulty (instead of averaging the scroll speeds, which is the default behavior). I'd like to turn on a lower-speed Breakneck just for me. They won't do this because it would have to turn off every song or gently caress up whoever's on your instrument next. Though I would be all over a mini options menu on the difficulty select screen for options that only last for the current song...

The voice search just mutes the game for a second while you talk, it totally wouldn't work in a crowded room. I'm not sure if SmartGlass supports voice inputs directly into your phone/tablet, though that would be super cool if it did.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There were 6 track packs over the course of 3-4 years. Adding in Green Day, that's about one every six months, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

On top of AcDc, Beatles, Lego, Green Day, there's just enough argument there for EA as there is Activision. Couple this with both companies releasing these side games on old engines instead of the brand new ones.

Band games were stupid, and they should've never happened. That's not to say I didn't love Beatles and Metallica, and consider them the best games in each series, but it set a extremely bad precedent for other bands and cluttered the market.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
The Beatles: Rock Band is the only band-specific disc release that ever should have happened. It came with custom instruments and a billion hours of software work that made the game a Beatles thing through and through, way more than just some character models and venues could.

Both GH and RB should have gone whole hog on the "platform" thing and supported DLC characters/venues. Satisfy the artists' egos without making a million SKUs. Put big cardboard standups in the stores to advertise them.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah, like a bunch of $30 DLC artist packs would have been super rad. Include 20 or so songs, new character models for those characters, and throw in some custom decals, new CAC stuff, and maybe a special venue or two.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Band games were stupid, and they should've never happened.

I want you to look at the thread title, then back at your post, and consider where you may have gone wrong in life. :ssh:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you should learn how to read.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

pksage posted:

That's a funny way to spell "not my taste in music". I agree with your points otherwise, but there's always SOMEONE out there who is over the moon about Stone Sour 01 or whatever.

It's me. I just happen to be listening to Stone Sour now (iPhone on shuffle), and think that "Say That You Want Me" is one of the most fun drum songs I own.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

No no, he's right. I had to reread your post twice to get that you weren't making GBS threads on the genre but instead on individual licensed band games.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
People have touched on this already, but some more versatility with setlists is probably my most wanted feature. At RB parties I've done, it's always hard to walk the line between huge setlists and spontaneity. Like people have a blast calling out songs and building up a list, but then the mood just strikes for a particular track and it's like "welp, still got 9 songs to go." At one point I compromised with an honor-system cap of 5 songs. That went pretty well, but if people could actually go to a tablet and use a "Play Next" feature like it's an iTunes player that would be amazing.

And I have to admit, I still like that thing they started in one of the later Guitar Hero games (5 I think?) where players could drop in and out without any pause in the music. No one cares about fair score tracking at a party.

Also don't yell at me because there are no songs with keys in this setlist. My poor keyboard has a hard enough time getting any love at these parties without you making me to turn it off. :smith:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 26, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Ooops. I thought you meant band games as in "games that support band play", not "games that support band brands". My fault.

Ultimately as much as we all love the digital revolt against King SKU, though, there was no way solely digital releases would have flown on the console from '08 to '11. The overwhelming majority of sales were still physical, and it was actually a severe minority of users who bothered to plug anything into the network port. Releases like the track packs were an attempt to sell to that fairly sizable gap of people and justify that DLC program. By no means could Rock Band have survived during its heyday without doing the SKU dance of regular releases that keep the brand on shelves, even without the competition.

The wisdom of this or that release can easily be questioned (Green Day? Really?), but it's easy to forget just how different the game market was just a short time ago. Hopefully any future music games can capitalize on those changes as Rocksmith has, but it's also a tough reality that physical sales will be a monkey on the console industry's back for a little while yet.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I apologize for being snarky.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

By no means could Rock Band have survived during its heyday without doing the SKU dance of regular releases that keep the brand on shelves, even without the competition.

But there's a difference between an annual release and five or six discs (including GH) per year.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
People talking about their hopes for the next game makes me feel like it's 2009 again :swoon:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pksage posted:

But there's a difference between an annual release and five or six discs (including GH) per year.

Yeah, looking back the whole burnout phase wasn't either companies fault so much as the combination of the two. If you stuck to just one game and ignored the other then releases were reasonably paced, but a lot of people were playing both GH and RB, switching between the two on each new release, which made things a lot more exhausting as they were literally a new game every month for a decent stretch of time. (if you included track packs)

Then dance games came along and there suddenly wasn't enough room for those expensive plastic instruments. I mean, for us guys the idea of setting a night aside to play this one game makes total sense, but if you're at a party and just want to play it's a lot quicker to pop in a disc and dance than it is to set up a full band's worth of instruments on a whim.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Those mountains of boxes for Guitar Hero, Band Hero, DJ Hero, and Tony Hawk Ride didn't exactly make retailers very happy

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah, I never really counted the plain track packs. The RB line to me was: RB1, RB2, Beatles, Lego, Green Day, RB3. Games with enough of their own content to be stand alone games instead of just tacked on expansions. Compare to Activision's line: GH3, Aerosmith, GH4, Smash Hits, Metallica, Van Halen, GH5, Band Hero, GH6. DJ Hero games could also be called into it, since they're similar and do use the guitar and were trying to ride the fame.

11 games in 3 years is a bit intense. 6 may be too, for that matter. I do feel Harmonix spaced them out better: RB1/RB2 were yearly. Beatles was almost it's own thing, Lego was a stop gap between RB2 and 3. Green Day was the strangest release, out of character for the company. (I count it since it introduced Harmonies and there's like, a Green Day story mode or something.)

As for features, I got some weirder ideas:

-Bring back Controller support. I've had people hate the guitars, hate the drums. This also lowers the barrier to entry. Track scores differently(no idea if it could possibly be an advantage), but they should allow players to grab their PS4 controller and do Guitar/Bass/Drums/Keys. The dude with the controller won't be much fun at parties, but if someone just likes rhythm games, no reason not to take their money.
-Keyboard can switch between actual keys and Bass/Guitar mid setlist. Keyboard has the problem of cutting off massive swathes of library if someone wants to play keys. Even if no DLC is brought forward, not every song will have keys parts.
-Introduce separate rhythm guitar parts. To go with the key idea, this grants more versatility on who wants to play what, and I think a second guitarist is more prominent in rock music than the keyboard.

Seconding mobile support for managing songs for parties. Rock Band has this weird bizarre place of as an actual game and basically a really fancy karaoke machine.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

NameHurtBrain posted:

-Bring back Controller support. I've had people hate the guitars, hate the drums. This also lowers the barrier to entry. Track scores differently(no idea if it could possibly be an advantage), but they should allow players to grab their PS4 controller and do Guitar/Bass/Drums/Keys. The dude with the controller won't be much fun at parties, but if someone just likes rhythm games, no reason not to take their money.

Controller support should be adding a "sound guy" player who plays Blitz with all of the instruments not currently connected as a peripheral. Dead serious. Might get a little busy having a Blitz lane alongside the normal gem lanes.

NameHurtBrain posted:

-Introduce separate rhythm guitar parts. To go with the key idea, this grants more versatility on who wants to play what, and I think a second guitarist is more prominent in rock music than the keyboard.

Go one step further and make every instrument part for every song fully modular. Add metadata saying "this MIDI track is called <Lead Guitar/Rhythm Guitar/Synth/Marimba/Washing Machine Noises>, it mutes this stem, and it's playable by <guitar peripheral, controller, keys peripheral, all of the above>". Add a "Combined Guitar" track that mutes both guitar stems and has its own chart, similar to GH2 solo vs. co-op charts.

Too much work, though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Get rid of scores in multiplayer and just show percentages as well as those "medals" like "savior" or "perfect solo" or whatever.
Since there's no scores let people jump in/our at any time and be able to have 4 guitars or 2 drums or whatever you want.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
-Bring back Pro Face-off
-Let both people play the full song on whatever difficulty with optional winning. Sometimes we each just want to play the guitar part and I'm better than my buddy. If we want four lead guitarists let us do that stupid poo poo. Just pick the audio of the dude currently in the lead or some poo poo.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 27, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for February 27, 2015:

New! Powerful Female Voices C02 3-pack (farottone)
  • Macy Gray - "I Try" (+ws54)
  • Madonna - "Like a Prayer"
  • Sade - "Nothing Can Come Between Us"
New! Silent Hill C02 9-pack
  • Akira Yamaoka - "Cradle of Forest" (Nightmare Lyra)
  • Akira Yamaoka - "Hometown" (Nightmare Lyra)
  • Akira Yamaoka - "I Want Love" (Nightmare Lyra)
  • Akira Yamaoka - "I Want Love (Studio Mix)" (ghostbyob and Nightmare Lyra ft. Sideshow)
  • Akira Yamaoka - "Innocent Moon (Other Take)" (Nightmare Lyra)
  • Akira Yamaoka - "Love Psalm" (Nightmare Lyra)
  • Akira Yamaoka - "Promise" (ghostbyob and Nightmare Lyra)
  • Akira Yamaoka - "Promise (Reprise)" (ghostbyob and Nightmare Lyra)
  • Akira Yamaoka - "Waiting For You ~ LIVE AT Heaven's Night" (ghostbyob and Nightmare Lyra ft. Sideshow)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I wouldn't call Macy Gray's voice powerful. More like irritatingly awful?

Definitely a vocals heavy week on those though. The others... is that just a game soundtrack?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

A variety of tracks from the Silent Hill game series, which I'm delighted to see, since they have some of my favorite game soundtracks. I was always surprised to see the original theme done before Hometown, since Hometown is much better suited to RB. Great stuff, I've been holding off on updating my customs until I'm further along my track list, but it looks like I'll have to change that!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Abu Dave posted:

I honestly would rather play a new Guitar Hero before a Rock Band. Activision have the money to go out and get a big name artist like Zep or Floyd to make a "glorious return", wheres I feel like Rock Band 4 would be more of the same, like we've seen with the DLC. But Guitar Hero has always been the better single player game to Rock Band being the better multiplayer, which is how I like to play so. v:keke:>

Quoth the person who never played Vocals.
Also Zep and Floyd aren't excluded from music games because they were too expensive, they were excluded because of the rights-holder's zero-tolerance policy. If Harmonix could license The Beatles' ultra-paranoically-sheltered master tracks, Activision would have nicked at least one track by Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or Electric Light Orchestra by the time their last game came out, and presented it as that game's killer track.
One of the biggest advantages GH ever held over RB was the ability to make purpose-built motion-captured segments for the background animation. Sometimes entire performances for one instrument were overwritten by one full-length motion-capture track done by a cover artist (or actor). The charting is still miserable, but drat, sometimes Guitar Hero's venue animation scores a perfect 10.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Those mountains of boxes for Guitar Hero, Band Hero, DJ Hero, and Tony Hawk Ride didn't exactly make retailers very happy
Solution: HMX undermines big-name publishers and revitalizes the used game industry by shipping the RB4 full-band bundles directly to Goodwill and Value Village locations.

Abu Dave posted:

I apologize for being snarky.
Methodis' backpedal account identified.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 28, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Orange Harrison posted:

Also Zep and Floyd aren't excluded from music games because they were too expensive, they were excluded because of the rights-holder's zero-tolerance policy. If Harmonix could license The Beatles' ultra-paranoically-sheltered master tracks, Activision would have nicked at least one track by Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or Electric Light Orchestra by the time their last game came out, and presented it as that game's killer track.

Well, with Beatles, Harmonix was lucky to have an insider who was interested in the idea and approached them, not the other way around. Without Dhani Harrison pushing the project, it seems unlikely it would have occurred. It's not like Harmonix put forth the idea initially, but were very lucky to be in the right place at the right time. It's amusing that Metallica also got the idea of getting in on Guitar Hero from seeing their kids play the game.

If there's a lesson here it's "hook the kids and the band will follow".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nothing will top Billy Joel coming out with DLC because he heard a joke on TV about how awful Rock Band: Billy Joel would be (30 Rock, I think it was?)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It was The Office, and it was someone reviewing the episode who said it would be a terrible idea.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Chairchucker posted:

Do they still have a bunch of live Pearl Jam tracks lying around?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Been trying to upgrade to RB Harmonies, and it seems to be working as far as a spot check goes, but I keep getting one piece of "Loading Downloaded Content" showing every time I start the game after it goes through checking the song cache. I finished going through the Harmonies upgrade process but haven't readded any custom content yet, and figured I should check to make sure this isn't a cause for concern.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I get that too, because I bundled all my Pro Guitar upgrades. It seems like normal behavior if you have upgrade files bundled into one piece of content.
It's not preferred behavior, but the game seems to be fine with it. The only side-effect I've encountered it a very small ~1% chance of getting the "Failed to load song. Skipping..." message when trying to play an upgraded track, but all you have to do is select the song again to play it.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 1, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What do you do when the game crashes when you try to play a song with a keys upgrade? Foreplay/Longtime keeps doing that whenever I pick keys, and it's (so far) the only song I've found that does it.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What do you do when the game crashes when you try to play a song with a keys upgrade? Foreplay/Longtime keeps doing that whenever I pick keys, and it's (so far) the only song I've found that does it.

This is just a shot in the dark, but could be that the file is corrupt? Try deleting and redownloading it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Anyone know where the GHtoRB3 spreadsheet is now? The link on CCC doesn't work.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Orgophlax posted:

Anyone know where the GHtoRB3 spreadsheet is now? The link on CCC doesn't work.
All the GHtoRB3 songs are in the C3 database. I guess I oughta kill off the links to the spreadsheet.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Binowru posted:

This is just a shot in the dark, but could be that the file is corrupt? Try deleting and redownloading it.

Tried that, tried deleting the cache, tried rebundling the song, went all the way back to putting the original song in, confirming that it works on all instruments, putting the updated version in, confirming that works on all instruments, and still, if I try using keys it'll crash. Also got Won't Get Fooled Again as another party crasher. I'm using C3ConTools for this, so I may try downloading and playing with the Custom Packager instead.

Nyxyxylyth posted:

All the GHtoRB3 songs are in the C3 database. I guess I oughta kill off the links to the spreadsheet.

Not all the songs. Stuff like Enter Sandman or Any Way You Want It and anything else that HMX worked on but didn't bring over to RB3 weren't brought over to C3. Which sucks cause I lost Paranoid at some point and the spreadsheets were down when I went to get it back.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Not all the songs. Stuff like Enter Sandman or Any Way You Want It and anything else that HMX worked on but didn't bring over to RB3 weren't brought over to C3. Which sucks cause I lost Paranoid at some point and the spreadsheets were down when I went to get it back.

I believe these exist in a thread on the C3 forums, try searching for them.

We don't host them in the database for Reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
double postinnnnn

We're losing "Smooth Criminal" from the official RB store, along with all of the licensed T-shirts, but nothing else this quarter. (link) Pretty cool that so much of the library is still available!

Also, Alex Rigopulos just registered a Twitter account, which is good fuel for the PAX East hype train. GIVE US ROCK BAND, RIGOPULCOPTER

• Locked thread