Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

gently caress, my Neem oil + gentle/bio soap concoction for aphids and spider mites is apparently too strong for Avocado leaves. I've used it plenty on roses and lemon leaves with no problem, and even on the avocados before, but I washed it off soon after. Yesterday I didn't rinse them off afterwards, and this happened:

It's only on the bottom, hopefully not too much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Garden fence question, I'm going to use 50*100 mesh and 40mm angle posts. This will be adequate to keep the dog out while blending into the foliage enough, but we want to be able to fold sections of the mesh down to access it for actual gardening. Any suggestions on how to attach the mesh to the fence so that it's secure but it won't be too much of a hassle to disconnect?

If anyone's interested, I bolted eyelets to the posts and left legs protruding from the end of each mesh panel to hook into the eyelets.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hubis posted:

Or divide it

Yeah peace lilies like being divided. I have one that I got as an office plant 9 years ago, and I have two scions at home, one at the office, and another two in other people's offices that I gifted on.

Or put it in a bigger pot -- just be aware it may double in size.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah peace lilies like being divided. I have one that I got as an office plant 9 years ago, and I have two scions at home, one at the office, and another two in other people's offices that I gifted on.

Or put it in a bigger pot -- just be aware it may double in size.

I trimmed it back and replanted it. If all works out, it'll get divided next year. I'm trying a new soil mix I made.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kid sinister posted:

I saw this on my Facebook feed and I want one, a Persian Carpet Flower.

Going to put this in the OP, it's pretty drat awesome.

By the way, anyone interested in some free plant seeds? I've had these forever, and wasn't able to plant any since I no longer have a large enough space for them.

They are the following:

Cosmic Purple Carrots
Radish "French Breakfast"
Cilantro

I'm mailing them away for free, but if you have any spare stamps to offer, then that'd be pretty cool too! Mostly I'm just trying to get these seeds to a good home, so if you'd be interested in some nice plants, then let me know!

For now though, have some more plant pics.

Cotyledon pendens

Hyloterephium(Sedum) sieboldii

Sedum suaveolens (this one is the most surprising to me since I didn't know that sedums could look almost exactly like an echeveria)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

EagerSleeper posted:

Going to put this in the OP, it's pretty drat awesome.

By the way, anyone interested in some free plant seeds? I've had these forever, and wasn't able to plant any since I no longer have a large enough space for them.

They are the following:

Cosmic Purple Carrots
Radish "French Breakfast"
Cilantro

I'm mailing them away for free, but if you have any spare stamps to offer, then that'd be pretty cool too! Mostly I'm just trying to get these seeds to a good home, so if you'd be interested in some nice plants, then let me know!

For now though, have some more plant pics.

Cotyledon pendens

Hyloterephium(Sedum) sieboldii

Sedum suaveolens (this one is the most surprising to me since I didn't know that sedums could look almost exactly like an echeveria)

I would legitimately love some "French Breakfast" radishes. My wife was making a recipe that called for them specifically (thanks, Ottolenghi :rolleyes: ) and we were both like " :stare: right, radishes it is". It'd be neat to have the real thing. Also, I am pretty sure purple carrots would blow my toddler's mind.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

Hahahah this lil guy looks like it's just throwing its arms out going yay

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Maybe it's just this photo, but that plant is giving me some serious Resident Evil vibes.

I'm noticing a pattern here...

But yeah, that totally looks like the Progenitor flowers from Resident Evil 5.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hubis posted:

I would legitimately love some "French Breakfast" radishes. My wife was making a recipe that called for them specifically (thanks, Ottolenghi :rolleyes: ) and we were both like " :stare: right, radishes it is". It'd be neat to have the real thing. Also, I am pretty sure purple carrots would blow my toddler's mind.

Protip, let your kids have a hand in choosing what to plant/grow and you'll be amazed at what they end up eating. Also weird coloured versions of normal things are automatically awesome.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

cakesmith handyman posted:

Protip, let your kids have a hand in choosing what to plant/grow and you'll be amazed at what they end up eating. Also weird coloured versions of normal things are automatically awesome.

Alternately, you end up planting radishes every year even though you don't really care for them, you just buy whatever seeds they have at the drugstore with your allowance. :downs:

It was nice though, because we had a big backyard and I had a plot where I could just plant whatever and my parents didn't care. I had flowers in one area, fruits and veggies in another. Cucumbers and carrots were my favorite, one year we got a couple tiny pumpkins for Halloween, and I discovered just how much zucchini one vine produces at an early age.. now my plantings are restricted to tiny pots in my apartment and whatever grows in the fish tank. I want to put hooks in the ceiling for hanging plants, but I don't know if my landlord would appreciate that.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hubis posted:

Okay, so it seems like the French Breakfast and Cosmic Purples are on the list here for you. I've sent you a PM for more info.

If anybody wants some cilantro seeds, I can give that away too. :kimchi:

I also collected some tiny fern fronds with spores way back when off an oak tree, but it seems like trying to propagate those are is a load of work. Also, there's the possibility that those spores probably aren't well anymore... but still, maybe I'll give those a shot while I'm clearing out my seed collection.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I thought my swamp milkweed had died, but it was actually just getting a late start so that it could send up double stalks. Woo!

If you aren't already growing a native milkweed, do it. They attract so many pollinators. It's nuts.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I thought my swamp milkweed had died, but it was actually just getting a late start so that it could send up double stalks. Woo!

If you aren't already growing a native milkweed, do it. They attract so many pollinators. It's nuts.

Are you pruning it? I let mine go last year and it got super tall and just fell over everywhere. This year I am pinching off the buds after two sets of leaves on each stalk, and it's branching out beautifully. Hopefully it doesn't stunt flowering, but I guess we will see.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't before, but that's an interesting idea. It does get very top-heavy. Mine's mixed in with a mess of tomatoes though, so it kinda just leans on them.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Milkweed happily grows wild everywhere here and the bugs just love it! It's crazy just how many kinds you can find around milkweed alone. Love that heady smell too.

Now I feel like wildflower "hunting" (i.e take pictures). I missed the Erythronium flush, sadly. I think right now there's a lot of Dame's Rocket out and about.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
We planted two Cleveland pear trees this spring as street trees, here in a mid-sized city in Nebraska. They were around 8’ tall, and dug/burlapped when we bought them; they were planted promptly and staked, mulched. When we bought them, though, it was right after we had one of those late freezes and the newly sprouted leaves had been damaged fairly badly at the vendor's place. So, here’s the deal—they’ve been in the ground for a couple of months now and one is looking fine, finally, with new leaves growing and it’s greening up. The other one, not so much. It’s not dead, the wood looks fine, but there are a very few little green buds on it and it basically looks the same as it did after I planted it. I water both trees once daily because I read that newly balled and burlapped trees should be watered every other day to saturation (so, therefore, every day should be even better!). Am I overwatering? Will that tree live? Any suggestions?

LOVE,
VITALIS

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
If there's still buds, then it's not dead yet.

watering every other day seems excessive, has there been drought conditions in your area? Watering once a week is probably appropriate.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Vitalis Jackson posted:

We planted two Cleveland pear trees this spring as street trees, here in a mid-sized city in Nebraska. They were around 8’ tall, and dug/burlapped when we bought them; they were planted promptly and staked, mulched. When we bought them, though, it was right after we had one of those late freezes and the newly sprouted leaves had been damaged fairly badly at the vendor's place. So, here’s the deal—they’ve been in the ground for a couple of months now and one is looking fine, finally, with new leaves growing and it’s greening up. The other one, not so much. It’s not dead, the wood looks fine, but there are a very few little green buds on it and it basically looks the same as it did after I planted it. I water both trees once daily because I read that newly balled and burlapped trees should be watered every other day to saturation (so, therefore, every day should be even better!). Am I overwatering? Will that tree live? Any suggestions?

LOVE,
VITALIS

Dear Vitalis-

How is the weather in Nebraska? I wouldn't water it every day. I water my young (less than 3 year old trees) more often than older ones, but that is still only ~2-3 times a week. A good soak seems necessary to penetrate the ground. Maybe water it longer rather than more often?

Always,

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

extravadanza posted:

If there's still buds, then it's not dead yet.

watering every other day seems excessive, has there been drought conditions in your area? Watering once a week is probably appropriate.

I suppose that's a good point, it isn't dead yet. This part of the state is just beginning to appear on the national drought map (D0, I believe). The weather this spring has been stupid; we had hard freezes in late April and record-breaking heat in May.

LOVE,
VITALIS

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Dear Vitalis-

How is the weather in Nebraska? I wouldn't water it every day. I water my young (less than 3 year old trees) more often than older ones, but that is still only ~2-3 times a week. A good soak seems necessary to penetrate the ground. Maybe water it longer rather than more often?

Always,

It's good to hear from you, Harry Potter on Ice! I agree, I'm likely overdoing it with the water. I'll cut back to once every 4-5 days and see what happens.

LOVE,
VITALIS

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
FYI, don't move a false yucca. It's been 2.5 years and mine still hasn't flowered again. Its foliage is still looking great, but it's still conducting its silent protest.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Has anyone grown an Eve's Needle cactus before? Mine is going crazy bending several inches over I think to get more sun every day, and then I rotate it and it bends the other way. I'm giving it all I can! If you ever see one of these weirdos pick it up it has been a prolific grower. I broke them into 4 from the original tiny pot it came in and they're all growing aggressively in completely different styles. I love them, definitely recommend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrocylindropuntia_subulata

Yes, I have and it's one of my favorites. I had one in a 24" pot and it grew over 7'. Had to leave it when I moved last because we couldn't get it off the patio. I have a (7y old) clone that's starting a new (second) arm this season, after years of almost no growth. I should size up its pot one of these days. Super fun cactus!

If yours is falling over, it may be trying to grow too fast. It sounds like its getting height, not trunk stability. I'd let it sit between waters a bit longer than you have been and see if that helps. Can you grab a picture?

This was my big one in 2014. Left it 2016 and it was even larger than pictured.

Clone, second one in the front.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone know what these are? Seems like they'd make lovely ground cover.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think that's bindweed.

It's an invasive nuisance, but nurseries still sell it anyway.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Yes, I have and it's one of my favorites. I had one in a 24" pot and it grew over 7'. Had to leave it when I moved last because we couldn't get it off the patio.

I showed this to my girlfriend and she started laughing crazily and said "and we have fourrrr!"

I love the look of yours I cant wait to see what my weirdos do

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The leaves of my container planted 'Blue Fortune' Hyssop/Agastache are slowly turning yellow from the bottom. Interestingly, there are clear pink lines on the leaves along the veins. This is the second year of the plant, and it bloomed well last year when planted. Died back so I cut it to the ground this spring and it is now 2+ feet tall with the first flower spikes just starting to emerge. Its in a container with Garnet Penstemon and Purple Ignition Salvia, both of which are fine. Its planted in a super high drain soil mix that is about 60% sand or perlite and the rest cactus mix. Been getting daily water up until last week, when I stopped watering thinking it was maybe too much. Can't emphasize how well this pot drains - I can water in the morning and by night time following an 80 degree day, the soil is dry to 4" or more. I also watered every day all summer last year to no ill affects.

Mostly I'm worried that it will continue to spread up the plant and kill it.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I posted earlier about my miniature african violets, one of them has bloomed! The other split off a bunch of babies so I removed them and repotted it in an orchid pot as an experiment. Mom plant is doing well but most of the daughters are biting the dust since they had no real roots of their own.

Back in February:

This week:

When I say "miniature" I mean it, the pots are less than 2" across at the top and the plants aren't expected to get much bigger.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^Those are beautiful, congrats! Mini African Violets are cool tiny plants with big personality. :)

Meanwhile, have another pic of alien flora found from Reddit:

x

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what do you do with old potting soil? do you just scatter it in your hard or what

I feel really dumb because I don't know what to do with old dirt

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think that's bindweed.

It's an invasive nuisance, but nurseries still sell it anyway.

Right you are! It's endemic here, but apparently pretty aggressive. Gonna pass on that one. Shame, pretty flowers.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

what do you do with old potting soil? do you just scatter it in your hard or what

They are a good addition to your compost if you do that.

anatomi posted:

Right you are! It's endemic here, but apparently pretty aggressive. Gonna pass on that one. Shame, pretty flowers.

You might like Portulaca.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Can't you just re-use it?

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I generally just mix a bit of compost and maybe some inert media (sand gravel bark etc) through and then reuse it, or throw it in the compost if I don"t have anything that needs it right away.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

My parents have houseplants that are at least 30-40 years old with I'm pretty sure no repotting, so I've never thought about soil getting too old. Maybe for heavy feeders?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
loving drought, no rain except a few super short showers for one and a half months now. Fire warnings all over the country and 8 hectares burned up last night nearby. Lawn on the front looks like this:

On the side and back things are looking better. And here are the rain barrels we bought, 200 liters a piece. Used previously for natural casings (guts) for sausage making.

The grass gets to die if it can't make it on it's own, but the flowers, fruit trees and bushes get watered.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Nice! Very organic fancy water you're using there now :D How do the barrels hook up to the gutters? I use rain barrels currently and I've always wondered: does any of the runoff from the roof pollute the water?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's not actually done yet, been meaning to go into town and buy the adapter thingies you can put on the downspouts that will divert the water into the barrels until they are full. There has been no hurry as no rain is forecast anyway.

Right now we're watering with our own well water, using the borehole for our house heating, pretty good water flow here.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm a new home owner and the previous owner planted a small palm tree in the front yard before selling. I don't know how to take care of this thing. It looks unhealthy but I can't tell. I currently water it about every 4 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

does any of the runoff from the roof pollute the water?

Absolutely yes, especially with asphalt shingles. It's widely recommended to use a "first flush" diversion system if you're using the water for drinking or watering food crops.