Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

13Pandora13 posted:

Okay, so I decided to get started with removal tonight after work (it's been raining two days so the soil is pretty moist and pliant) and discovered two lovely things:
1. There's bugs that are small and white on the root balls of two plants I pulled up, I don't know enough about bugs to know if they're termite nymphs or what but it worries me enough to not want to try to salvage/move the plants to my backyard near the wood fence.
2. The soil close to my house isn't soil at all, it's loving mulch, for a good 14"+ down. I don't know how the foundation hasn't gone to poo poo, or how I don't have termites in the house itself, or any number of issues. I don't even know the best approach to fix it, soil backfill and rocks, or all rock?

I knew this was going to be a relatively large project but I feel like it's going to end up being a nightmare. gently caress.

mealy bugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
16 pepper plants ready to go; 6 in a planter box, 6 in a greenhouse, 4 in 5 gallon pots. Now to fill the rest of the planter boxes/greenhouse with basil. Leggo!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Whats stopping either of you from trimming them so you can use the walking path? Idgi

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Don't worry in 50 years time we'll be happy if anything can grow!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Hmm, I planted blackberries in one of our raised garden beds this spring. Am I a bad person? I could be convinced to pot them. I live in a city.

I have blackberries and raspberries in two raised garden beds, they are very aggressive in their spreading but not at ALL unmanageable unless you completely ignored them for years. Destroy them when you leave if you're that worried about it

I keep my ivy in a little pot, I'm not thatttt crazy

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Oh man my seeds came! I think I need to get a heating pad to germinate some of these peppers/the cacti mix. My plan is to start them indoors or in the greenhouse and then move 1/3rd to planters beds, 1/3rd to pots, 1/3rd to the greenhouse. Hopefully I'll be able to keep both the greenhouse and potted plants through the fall/winter. Anyone have any experience with Baker Creek Heirloom seeds or specifically..

Peppers: Bisquinho, Sugar Rush Peach, Buena Mulata, Alaku Sarga Szentes, Aji Charapita (so excited for this one after trying them in Peru), Brazilian Starfish, Carolina Reaper
Turnips: Takinashi, Nagasaki Akari Kabu
Random: Goji berry, Glass corn, Atomic grape tomatoes, random cacti mix

I've had mixed luck germinating but I'm feeling lucky this time around :D

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'm a little worried after reading reviews but the negative comments felt like any bad tomato luck... varied taste, splitting etc. But look at them! So pretty

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

heating pad for germination: yay or nay?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Just googled that, awesome plant

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

Is there a way I can get this jade to branch out on the other sides? It's going to tip over soon.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Stick a rod in there, tie it up gradually? Put it in a corner and aim it there?

This is what I've had to do with most if not all my jades over the last few years at some point. I just use a tiny piece of bamboo or wood and hold the jade where I want (not so far in your case as to break it at the base) and let it rest gently against it. I don't like tying them because I don't want to scar them. That jade will probably backbud up anyway, enjoy your new cascading jade! Those leaves look very happy too :D

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

It's very happy since I took over care from my office mate. It used to be red, yellow, and orange.

It's hard to tell from the photo perhaps, but that's not the main stem, that's a branch. Using a stake is just going to have the branch bend up. I was wondering if I could cut the branch and replant it or if there was a way yo get branching off the main stem.

Yea sorry from the picture it just looks like its bent over to the right from the base in the soil. I dont know any way to force a jade to bud beyond rotating it towards the sun in the direction you want it to grow and even that will probably just make it grow up instead to fill the space. I'd leave that one as is and go to home depot, buy one of their $10 jade pots with too many plants in it and break it down to 10 separate plants and repot them and start fresh. These 3 were HD stock, ~5 years old I think? The one on the left had only 4 leaves originally :3

learnincurve posted:

You could chance it with cutting it and using rooting powder, but it’s a big risk.

Hey resident plant expert (or anyone else!!) What kind of any of fertilizer would you use for jades?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Here is another on the right that is about 3 years old and looked pretty similar to how yours looks now when it first started. I just kept adjusting chopsticks every now and then to make sure it wasn't going to break and no leaves or stem were resting on anything. I rotated it every 3-4 weeks which mayyy have stressed it out a little but also maybe helped it get the shape it is now?

The little one on the left dropped off a 70+ year old jade that is over 5 feet tall an old lady gave to a local greenhouse near me. After my 4th trip to just look at the jade and take pictures the owner said I was "lusting after it" and gave me a piece of branch it naturally dropped, it was about a 1/3rd of the size at the time. I kept it out of soil for ~2 weeks and then just stuck it in an inch deep and let it do its thing. It took quite a while to establish itself.

The last picture is a close up of the white tendrils you can see that I look for when propagating them. Like I said i haven't fully figured it out yet but the most successful way seems to be: put the piece on soil and wait without watering it.

I'll stop with the jade spam for a little while, they're just my favorite plants and pretty easy to take care of as long as you don't drown them

Mozi posted:

Jades are incredibly easy to propagate.

If you just take a leaf and put it on some soil, it will grow roots and new leaves:

Or you can do this, with remains from a little pruning - just leave it out in the air for a few days to harden off where you cut it, then put it in some well-draining dirt.

I have too many already so I'll be giving these away at the office in a few weeks once they've taken root.

Jade plant was the first thing I grew (took a cutting from my parent's decades old massive jade tree) and I haven't managed to kill any of them yet. My project this year will be to get some of them to flower.

As far as fertilizer goes they will survive with very little but would always appreciate a little worm poop.

I'm so wary of pulling leaves off mine, I have no idea why. I know it won't hurt the plant but I just like letting it do its own thing. Those baby jades look super healthy I'm jealous of your coworkers! I need more jades! I want to do one of those infinity mirror rooms and fill it with jades, jades as far as the eye can see.

Mozi post the jades those came from!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

Well, here's what I did with the jade:

And here's the leaf that fell off:

looks great and now you have two jades :D

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mozi I forgot to ask, how do you plan on making your jade flower? I've heard its just from stress.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Shoutout to Harry Potter on Ice, and other jade growers. This spring I decided to give a bit of attention to the old jade plant that has been a fixture in our North facing kitchen window for years. It was super leggy, bur had a few good trunks, so I pruned it back to one node above where it last branched, and I tried to leave one untouched branch on each trunk. I moved it to under lamps, and when new growth appeared, I started hardening it off, to move onto the patio. It's had a couple weeks outside now. Next step is to give it a bigger pot. It's pretty rootbound.

Also shown is an echiveria of some sort, and a hobbit jade. I thought they looked cool in the store. Aaand a big pot with some transplants from the front flowerbed

Awesome its looking super happy! Hobbit jades are awesome I'm always tempted to get one as well. The hens and chicks are doing good too, predictably. I love a good groundcover.

Look at all those baby jades down at the bottom! :stoked:

Has anyone grown an Eve's Needle cactus before? Mine is going crazy bending several inches over I think to get more sun every day, and then I rotate it and it bends the other way. I'm giving it all I can! If you ever see one of these weirdos pick it up it has been a prolific grower. I broke them into 4 from the original tiny pot it came in and they're all growing aggressively in completely different styles. I love them, definitely recommend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrocylindropuntia_subulata

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I have a Clematis Florida I'm training over a big rootwad that I'm pretty into. Only 2 flowers so far but they look gorgeous

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I made this for a customer. Idk, would you buy this/happily receive it as a gift? I think it’s pretty cute.

It looks great now so yes but it also looks like its going to get crowded. Still would be really happy to get it! Sweet little pot for the succulents, looks great with them

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

So in theory shallow pot=short, shallow canopy? Roots match the branches?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

kid sinister posted:

I saw this on my Facebook feed and I want one, a Persian Carpet Flower.

uh, yea! Looks like it propagates well possibly? Get one and share :D

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Vitalis Jackson posted:

We planted two Cleveland pear trees this spring as street trees, here in a mid-sized city in Nebraska. They were around 8’ tall, and dug/burlapped when we bought them; they were planted promptly and staked, mulched. When we bought them, though, it was right after we had one of those late freezes and the newly sprouted leaves had been damaged fairly badly at the vendor's place. So, here’s the deal—they’ve been in the ground for a couple of months now and one is looking fine, finally, with new leaves growing and it’s greening up. The other one, not so much. It’s not dead, the wood looks fine, but there are a very few little green buds on it and it basically looks the same as it did after I planted it. I water both trees once daily because I read that newly balled and burlapped trees should be watered every other day to saturation (so, therefore, every day should be even better!). Am I overwatering? Will that tree live? Any suggestions?

LOVE,
VITALIS

Dear Vitalis-

How is the weather in Nebraska? I wouldn't water it every day. I water my young (less than 3 year old trees) more often than older ones, but that is still only ~2-3 times a week. A good soak seems necessary to penetrate the ground. Maybe water it longer rather than more often?

Always,

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Yes, I have and it's one of my favorites. I had one in a 24" pot and it grew over 7'. Had to leave it when I moved last because we couldn't get it off the patio.

I showed this to my girlfriend and she started laughing crazily and said "and we have fourrrr!"

I love the look of yours I cant wait to see what my weirdos do

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Nice! Very organic fancy water you're using there now :D How do the barrels hook up to the gutters? I use rain barrels currently and I've always wondered: does any of the runoff from the roof pollute the water?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Obviously it varies from species to species, but is there any decent rule of thumb for knowing if your succulent seeds have decided to not germinate?

First couple weeks of March I potted a bunch of seeds from this collection (I'd copy-paste it but their website doesn't allow it, wtf) and only the Cactus Apples have grown into what could legitimately be called tiny cactii. Everything else, for the most part, remains dirt.

As a total newbie to this whole thing (as in I didn't bother getting a decent lighting setup before starting this hobby, so most of what did grow went leggy and died between now and then), I'm sure that "just dirt since March" is a sign of non-germination. Or am I overthinking it and should just let them be?

How many seeds did you try from each?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

I’m in deep guys. Just got an aquarium and rigged it with grow lights so I can propagate roses.

aw yea get crazy with it, seconding pic request

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

fuzzy_logic posted:

Oh, for anyone looking for desk/easy indoor plants, I totally forgot marimo / momos / mossimos existed until today:

(random pics stolen from imgur, mine lives in a jam jar in the bathroom)

They're loving adorable little algae balls that looks like Ghibli characters and prefer cold water and low light. Very easy and charming. Some places sell them in sealed glass containers which I don't recommend because they like having the water freshened up every few weeks. They'll float up to the top of the tank at night and go back during the day so you'll find them in different positions which can be a little eerie.

I was just talking about how I wanted an aquarium with water plants in it yesterday :eyepop:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

What direction is the balcony facing?

Have you considered a jade plant :3

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

i say swears online posted:

w...what have i done

In the two previous years I've experimented with morning glories, and this season I went all-out. I have a wraparound porch that faces due north, so both sides face NE and NW respectively. The NW side especially gets a lot of sun, and is the main reason I started this project. I strapped soccer nets to the balcony and spent a few minutes each day wrapping each little vine horizontally to slow their rush to the roof. There are probably six species of climbing vine in the mix, and everything is great until the temp gets above 90.

I'm in Texas and watering 3 times a day, even with like six cubic feet of dirt. I work nights, so on the hottest days i I have to throw myself out of bed and set an alarm to water in the heat of the day. You can see where entire vines have died by me not watering in time. For now, I'm dumping compost tea into the containers every couple days to increase water retention, and have placed sheets of white styrofoam in the direct path of the sunlight so the roots stay cool. Anything else I can be doing? The leaves are really stressed from wilting twice a day and are starting to look ratty. I also think I have really tiny bugs making small, dark grey webs on the leaves in one section. These plants have invited their own ecosystem, which is neat.

I was using exclusively compost and miracle-gro 3-1-2 to prioritize vegetation, but I'm interested in collecting a ton of seeds for next year (of the few dozen vines, 3 or so have stems the width of a nickel at the base, and they're less than four months old). I stopped using the 3-1-2 about three weeks ago and haven't seen buds develop. Is my compost tea strong enough to inhibit flowering? It's all-purpose, not N-heavy. I don't wanna starve 'em, they've already significantly slowed their growth.

cursed pic whyyyy do this

enraged_camel posted:

I have a chain link fence that I can't easily rip out (concrete foundation... wtf :confused:) so I decided to grow some vines on it to at least try to make it look pretty.

Where do I start?

ahhh the morning glory is already spreading through minds

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

thats perfect

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Yesterday I cut down a huge old grape vine that someone was going to throw away because it was in the way of their new house. I transplanted it into a big ol tub, heres hoping it somehow lives and I have a grape tree next year! I feel like grape are prettty hardy so it might work?

Bina posted:

Wat is it?

I got a plant for free because somebody returned one in my store from another. We apparently don't carry them and it was going to be thrown away.

Looks like some sort of stonecrop to me, echeveria have rosettes

WrenP-Complete posted:

Update: I really like the rhododendron we have on the property. It's super huge and overgrown. I spent a bunch of time watching videos about how to care for it and then implementing. Such a beautiful and special plant! :3: I can show some pictures after I mulch.

I've got some huge old rhodes on mine, they're amazing. They really like me trimming back the dead stuff it seems like

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have a massive potted philodendron. Well, it was huge, but then a 60-foot oak tree fell directly on top of it last fall. I mean directly on top of it, and the only leaves it had left were crawling out from beneath that tree. I couldn't get a tree service out all winter, so it languished and died beneath the tree in freezing weather. I dumped it in my compost pile early in the spring. It was very sad. But then all the broken stems in the pile started putting out new growth, and now miraculously I have two smaller philodendrons. I have no idea how it survived a tree falling on it, a temperate winter, and then an unceremonious dumping in the compost... but it did.

there may be easier ways to propagate in the future but I'll have to research more

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Nosre posted:

A bit ago I was asking about rooting two mystery cuttings I took from my fiance's great-aunt's house in Italy. Well, all of them took off fine in just water, and are now looking great. Still would love thoughts on an ID, though!

The mature plants there were a bit more woody, and got very leggy and tangled off to various sides as they sought out sunlight

also bonus artsy shot of a friend enjoying our stonecrop planter :3:

Shot in the dark: type of hens and chicks?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Yea I GIS'ed sempervivum and it looked like a few of the pics

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I cant tell if I'm reading this wrong but if you're trying to use the pump to get water to the roof it won't have enough power.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hubis posted:

If they get the right kind of pump it'll work fine. That said, I'm not sure a $20 pump is going to fit the bill.

Do you have a product link for the pump?

anything under $50 will barely get 6ft of lift in my experience and then you start getting into the $100+ category (in reality probably over $200) really quickly and then you gotta wonder if you even want the 300-500gph pumps

It's surprisingly hard to pump water against gravity. Maybe some cheap diaphragm pump? Rain barrel on the roof with a pump already in it so you don't have to pump or even worse draw up?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They look like zinnias to me, but I’ve never seen zinnias with dark leaves like that. Butterflies and bees do love zinnias though, and they’re easy easy to grow. I planted some a few years ago and they’ve seeded themselves back in every year.

I love zinnias, I grew a few from seed this year and they're so pretty! The leaves do look a little different than mine but they aren't cosmos

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 16, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

for what its worth I chop back anything remotely dead at all on my ivy and its much happier for it. it also seems to like some air flow

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Nosre posted:

I think it's potentially both; when I burned my Avos the majority of the damage was to the underside of the leaves, so it wasn't a sun thing. It wasn't a ton of damage, but definitely something to watch.

I posted a few pictures ITT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=27875&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post484916663

Post updated succy pics!! How are they holding up?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

You would be surprised at the amount of people that would believe me when I said "limes are just unripe lemons" while looking at my lemon tree

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Hi!

My mom grows succulents in a haphazard way. She has a LOT of them, but she doesn't even know what a lot of them are called. She gets most of them at big box stores in Pennsylvania.

Anyway, does anyone know of some uncommon ones she's unlikely to have?

Post (lots) of pics please!

I'm always excited to see lithops, conophytum or living stones because they're hard to grow around here. Red flames (crassula capitella) are pretty. Big old burro tails in hanging pots are sweet. Bunny succulents are ridiculous (monilaria). Really anything that has been repotted and grown beyond the little 2-4" crappy-might-not-grow succulents you get in grocery stores.

Big old jades that aren't moldy and are loved are by far my favorite. Eves pin or needle I would say have been the most exciting to watch grow. I HIGHLY rec this to any succy lover. I make little marks next to my window sill with the date as it grows.

B33rChiller posted:

Pearl necklace is pretty unique, but I don't know about rarity.
Uhhhh, make sure you include the word succulent in your googling for that one.

I've heard them called string of pearls, maybe a little Freudian slip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I remember liking this a while ago https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Trees-Story-Passion-Daring/dp/0812975596