Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

razz posted:

I have a Boston Fern and it keeps producing these leafless "stems" that come horizontally away from the plant and out of the pot. They will get like a foot long (or perhaps longer) and they're really thin, way thinner than a regular stem with leaves.

What are these? They don't produce leaves. They don't appear to be "going" anywhere (like into the soil), what's up with them? It's almost like a vine. They grow from the ends because the last inch or so will be green and the whole rest of it is brown/dead looking. I just cut off part of one and stuck it into the soil, I wonder if it will make a new fern?

Sounds like runner roots - from poking around on the internet that's how it propogates. Maybe put a smaller pot next to it and poke some of them into it and get another fern? They need to stay attached to the main plant like an umbilical cord for awhile though if that's the case.

I have a succulent question. I bought this guy quite awhile ago but forgot its name:

I've had it for a little over a year and really love it, but I'm having pruning issues. Once a year or so I prune it back, because the plant's so fleshy that the branches tend to snap under their own weight if I let them get too long. They also layer over one another and torque as they grow so they snap each other, so I try to trim it back to stop that. I also remove all the largest leaves from the bottom of the plant. However, after the last prune back it doesn't seem to be regrowing anything, which is annoying because where all the leaves were removed it's just sticks now:

Not very attractive. I saw one or two new branches trying to grow above the cuts, but they died immediately. Now I'm afraid to prune it back anymore because it doesn't seem to be recovering well - what'd I do wrong, and how do I encourage some new branches? Am I pruning too aggressively? I just can't let it grow on its own or the main branches get longer and longer and it starts falling apart.

eta: it had a really traumatic repotting this summer after which I was sure it was going to die, maybe it's still recovering from that?

I also have a Moses-in-the-Reeds, which ... doesn't look very impressive. Also its juices give me a rash when I prune it:

but the undersides of its leaves are a really nice shade of purple. It is currently recovering from a failed stint as an office plant (it did not enjoy the corporate world and came back home to convalesce).

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I have a question about my Garrya Elliptica: I live in California in its natural range so I went ahead and planted one in my yard last year. However, I live right my the ocean and the poor thing hates the blasting winds we get. Every one of its (well technically his I guess) leaves has turned brown from wind scorch but haven't fallen off. The core plant is still alive, it just looks horrible. My question is should I try sheltering and increasing water where it is now to nurse it back, or, I have a more sheltered spot about ten feet away where it might be happier. Is it more harmful to dig the guy up now after a year acclimating and being stressed from wind damage, or is it worth the risk to move it from a place it's so obviously unhappy in to one sheltered by a corner of a wall?

Thanks! I'll post some pics of my other natives once they get leaves back, they're all in summer mode and look horrible right now.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

EagerSleeper posted:

I would go ahead and move it to a more sheltered location away from the wind. With any luck it might be able to recover. I never heard of Garrya Elliptica, but it seems like a very beautiful plant.

My neighbor up the street has a stunning one around eight feet tall in her front yard so I figured I could totally have one too, didn't realize what a difference several blocks makes. I'll poke around and see if the roots have even really established, I bet I can get it up while the weather's mild. Whenever I do google searches on them I get a lot of British results back, I guess Brits are obsessed with the things and trying to coax them to grow in England.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

kid sinister posted:

If any plant can't survive several blocks away, then the difference has to be an extremely local one, ones like sunlight, weather exposure and soil. You aren't trying to grow this thing on a concrete slab in a wide open field in a hurricane, are you?

San Francisco! Because of the hill contours, one block can have a rather different climate than a half mile down the road. In this case we get constant wind from the ocean and the tract houses on her street shelter her yard but our house is detatched from the neighbors so the wind blows through. I think I'll try to move him into a corner of the wall to give him a better shot.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

My roommates call my mystery orchid "the rescue orchid" because I found it without flowers, tipped over and shoved under a shelf in the hardware store. Got it for like five bucks and no idea what it is (possibly a cattelya hybrid I think). Poor thing still hasn't flowered yet this year though. I'm dying to know what it looks like but it may be holding back until it feels better.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Hello plants thread. I have had...less success with gardening.

Dead:
Lemon Tree
Lime Tree
English ivy
Lambs ear
Lavender
Hibiscus
Purple viney things that didn't deserve to die so quickly

Alive:
Inherited calla lilies
Inherited succulents
Maybe the Russian sage
Some of the phloxes

I am looking for something I can establish or buy established in a pot which can then be set outside. The plant will then spill out over the side of the pot or send runners down or somehow escape and establish itself in my terrible soil. Full sun, northern California. Ideally it will then cover the ground in a pleasing green color.

Thank you.

I have an indoor orchid that's thriving so go figure.

Seconding nasturtium and strawberries (I have a non-fruiting kind called dune strawberry or something that's doing well). California natives will also survive summer well because they usually go dormant, so don't water them in the dry season (or fertilize ever), they're insanely easy if you don't mind having a scrubby-looking yard every dry season. I had a coreopsis gigantea and loved that stupid thing, it grew like five feet in one year and looked like a bonkers dr Seuss plant. I don't think I ever watered it, like ever. Butterfly Gaura does well, so do rockrose (cistaeacae). If you can keep callas alive you can probably do canna bulbs or dahliahs too.

Question for you guys! I have a badly potbound yew and pine tree (they're going to be bonsai if they survive but they're not styled yet so I guess I'll ask here) but it's not repotting season for either yet. Do I do an emergency repot and root trim now, or wait and hope they don't die? What symptoms should I watch out for that mean they're declining? The yew I think will be okay and I'm scared of damaging the roots since they're sensitive, but the pine is so bad that water tends to pool and run off when I try to water it so I'm concerned it's going to dry out before it goes dormant.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

quote is not edit

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I have a ginger root that sprouted in my pantry. I'd like to grow it, problem is it's pretty cold here and I don't want it to just die. Can I put it in cold storage with my dahlia bulbs to get it to hibernate over winter or do I need to plant it and hope it stays warm enough to not die? I'm in 9A if it matters, we keep it pretty cold indoors here, like 63.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I got this for Christmas, what iiiiis it (other than a ficus who went to pride week)

foilage:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

It looks like a croton!

Oh awesome, I have one in animal crossing but it doesn't look like the real one :x

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm glad I found this thread, it took some digging. Lol soil joke

I would like to invest in some privacy bushes. I'm not even sure that's a term, but I think you know what I mean.

Do I need to check with the city ordinance for height/width allowances for something like that? Or can I just put in whatever I would like? (Texas)

Most importantly - where would one purchase such a thing, and how much do privacy bushes, or large bushes in general cost?

Don't plant bamboo or podocarpus whatever you do. They both spread like absolute weeds, require constant trimming forever, and are completely impossible to get rid of.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Plant of the day: Cedrus atlantica Glauca Pendula or weeping blue pine. https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/133008/Cedrus-atlantica-(Glauca-Group)-Glauca-Pendula/Details

Is tiny now, but this thing will grow 2ft a year, possibly 4ft if it is feeling especially vigorous. You can buy them full grown but here’s why you shouldn’t: What you do is move it into a big pot and put a massive tree sized stake in it. Then you twist and tie it round the stake as it grows and you get a big corkscrew shaped tree with weeping branches flowing down, when it’s established you can either keep it in a pot or move it in the garden. When it’s nearing the height you want you cut the central leader (main stem) and open up the middle so the bugger can’t grow 10m and eat your foundations.

Edit: landscaping is happening in the bed there.

ugh stoooopppppp I want one so badddd but I shouldn't get anymore trees

Also I see and raise you my dawn redwood, which should put on more than five feet next year despite being in a pot.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Nosre posted:

Great, I'd love to see pics and examples of pruning strategies. Issue for figuring out this one is that there's tons of examples like those videos I posted above about yearly pruning of a more... 'managed' bush, but few about how to get a wild old thing under control.

Yeah the internet's really big on prevention and how to keep things perfect but in general if you've already hosed up (or just inherited a fuckup) articles aren't really helpful and most forums are like "well why'd you gently caress up?"

Contentless content: my Dorstenia foetida flowered an ugly weird little flower but I was unable to get a photo of it. I love my weird little alien plant, here's one from GIS:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Freakbox posted:

Hey plants thread! I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I need some help identifying a mushroom/fungus I found in my yard ((Tulsa, OK)).

It looks a teeny tiny bit like Hen of the Woods, but I am not willing to test that. I'm somewhat new to mushrooming and foraging.

What type of tree is that it's growing on? I can try to key it out for you since it's a polypore but in general identifying mushrooms from a photo is pretty much impossible.

edit: that is NOT hen of the woods, I can tell you that much. Could be false turkeytail but from that photo it's impossible to know for sure. The fruiting surface would need to be visible. Not poisonous but you'd be hard pressed to try and eat it I bet because it looks like one of the corky/woody types.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 1, 2018

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

My boss’ latest “get this plant out of my store!” is this coffee plant. He has some mealybug, which I’ll monitor. Any special tips for coffee plants as houseplants?

Pretty sure the leaves have some caffeine in them, so keep any pets from eating it. That foliage is really pretty.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I have a couple of unidentified miniature African violets I got for free awhile ago. One of them seems to have split up into 3 or 4 separate rosettes - do I need to remove the daughter plants and give them their own pots or can they hang out together for awhile? The pots are less than 2" across, I can't imagine how tiny I'd need to get for the daughters to stay "snug" enough.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Ugh, my parents' house used to have a beautiful bank of lily of the valley that lasted my entire childhood until I ran it over with a lawnmower one summer. Thanks for reminding me, I still feel awful about it :(:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I posted earlier about my miniature african violets, one of them has bloomed! The other split off a bunch of babies so I removed them and repotted it in an orchid pot as an experiment. Mom plant is doing well but most of the daughters are biting the dust since they had no real roots of their own.

Back in February:

This week:

When I say "miniature" I mean it, the pots are less than 2" across at the top and the plants aren't expected to get much bigger.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Based on the trunk (interwoven bootjacks followed by a smooth trunk), it looks like this might be a Sabal Palmetto palm, in which case you might be over watering it. It can handle cold weather pretty well and doesn't do too bad with a lot of water as long as it drains. Most palmettos don't require a lot of maintenance, but it depends on where you are.

Mexican windmill is my guess. They're pretty tough so I'm not sure what's up with your unless something damaged the roots.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Read some more background articles and according to The Internet I am doing everything wrong with these violets - wrong size pot, wrong soil, planted too high, watering wrong. They all seem super happy so I'm just going to keep going as I'm going I guess. Not sure if mine are super tough or if their fragility's been overstated or something. One thing I did run into this morning was mold on the terracotta pots. None on the soil or plants, just a thin layer of what looks like bread mold on the rims and outsides of the pots. I wiped it off. Does this seem like it'll be an issue? I think the pots may have come in with mold on them but since it's white I didn't notice. The pots sit right over our kitchen sink so it's kinda damp in that area.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Still trying to figure out why the small palm tree in front of my house is wilting...

it looks kind of shocked. How much are you watering when you water? Might be better to do a deep water less frequently and get it early in the morning before it heats up. Are you soaking the trunk and leaves too?
The fact that the new fronds that were coming in have died back is not great but the mature fronds look okay, maybe a little wind damaged. Any weird weather lately? drought, wind, really hot weather?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Oh, for anyone looking for desk/easy indoor plants, I totally forgot marimo / momos / mossimos existed until today:

(random pics stolen from imgur, mine lives in a jam jar in the bathroom)

They're loving adorable little algae balls that looks like Ghibli characters and prefer cold water and low light. Very easy and charming. Some places sell them in sealed glass containers which I don't recommend because they like having the water freshened up every few weeks. They'll float up to the top of the tank at night and go back during the day so you'll find them in different positions which can be a little eerie.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

:peanut: I'm in CA so we get them easily from Japan but PetCo will have them in the fish section in many places! :peanut:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

So where I sit in our office gets too little natural light to keep succulents alive, will those survive? Because if so I'm on it.

Probably, too much light is actually a good way to kill them. They live at the bottom of cold lakes so they prefer it to be a little dark.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

My dorstenia foetida (kind of like a succulent I guess) has been doing poorly lately so I poured its soil out to see what's up - it has a ton of tiny, tiny white maggot looking things all over the roots. They're like the size of a period in a book, too small to remove manually, is there anything I can kill them with that won't also kill the plant? I put it back in the soil but can dig it out again if I need to apply something directly to the roots.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Any thoughts on landscape architecture books/sites/sources? I just bought a house (quarter acre lot, mostly back yard), have a square, flat backyard with lots and lots of sun. I want to make the lawn go away as much as possible, but I have to deal with landscaping around a septic system and drain field.

Anyway, if it matters I'm particularly interested in vertical landscaping and am in the Pacific Northwest (Zone 8b). I'm not obsessed with "native only", but I will be checking with the county about invasive species and whatnot.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in California soI read a lot of Sunset magazine articles. Might be too specific to our climate for you but they have a ton of stuff online.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Everyone around here uses the self-coiling hoses, they seem pretty easy:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

This is my experience with collecting succulents:

Common succulents: crassula (jade plant), sempervivum (hens & chicks), aloe, sedum (stonecrop), cacti
Uncommon succulents: hoya, lithops (butt plant), titanopsis (mimicry plant), gasteria (ox tongue)

I'm so happy someone else calls them butts, my friends say it's juvenile of me.

You can also look into caudex-having plants like Dorstenia, they have basically the same care requirements and have hilariously fat bulbous butts. I have a dorstenia foetida that looks like a weird little alien. Sometimes it makes weird alien flowers and then shoots seeds all over the kitchen at high speed.

Check out these good thick boys: https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/266

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

My orchid keiki has emancipated itself!

It's made good progress, going to repot and remove some of the shriveled bulbs soon. It's some kind of oncidium hybrid.

(oh ffs imgur. It's like a nine-step process to rotate that picture, gently caress it)

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

:kimchi: What a cute baby Oncidium. Do you know what colors the flowers were?

You know it bloomed for like four months last year and I don't think I have a single picture! Really pretty flowers, deep sort of fuschia/purple with every other petal white. I thought they seemed very simple and elegant-looking but my sister, who knows more about orchids, called them "structurally complex." I don't really get what that means but I don't think the remaining bulbs are big enough to flower again this year unfortunately.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Any green leafed Japanese maple that doesn't have the really lacy leaves should be fine in full sun, just avoid the yellow or red ones.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

I got some more Japanese maples!!!

I’m still looking for an Aoyagi and Osakazuki, but I’ll still be very happy if I don’t end up with anymore this year.

How close are you to NorCal?
https://www.mendocinomaples.com/acer-palmatum/aoyagi
https://www.mendocinomaples.com/acer-palmatum/osakazuki

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Repotted my oncidium and it seems way happier - I bought it potted in pure green moss which immediately started rotting the roots away, so I moved it to a bonsai mix to dry out but the roots had a hard time extending into that. Got a mix of chopped bark, lava, and a little sphagnum packed around the roots, hopefully this is the Goldilocks mix.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

cheese posted:

Anyone have experience growing CA native plants in containers? I have a patio that gets full sun April-October (north facing) and a small yard that is partly sunny, and I'm on year three of killing sage and lavender. I just can't figure it out, although this year has been more successful than last. I'm starting to think the key is to take the sun down a notch from what they would want in the ground, i.e. sage that loves full sun when ground planted should get only part sun in a container. But its still a mess.

What zone in California? It's tricky if you're in chaparral, they all really hate containers. I'm in SF and basically nothing from around here can go in a pot, it'll just die.

content: my new Ming Aralia and my stupid African violets that refuse to bloom. Apparently I'm into old lady plants lately.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 4, 2019

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Any treeborists able to identify this tree? I'm guessing Austrian Pine based on it being one of the recommended types of trees to be planted in this area based on soil and climate (northern nevada, full sun, clayey soil) and whatnot but it's mostly just a guess. I think the needles are in clumps of 2 but that's based off the photos, not an in person examination.

I really only need to know the approximate mature height of it, for a project I'm working on.

Looks like P. densiflora / red pine. Though I think if you put an Austrian and Red pine next to each other I'd be hard pessed to tell you which is which. Getting a cone would help.

it's not contorta, ponderosa or lodgepole judging from the needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

cheese posted:

I went ahead and thinned it again. I just pulled out clumps and made a bunch of quarter sized dirt patches, then attacked any especially thick areas a little more closely. Impossible to figure out which seedlings are strong and which are just different varieties. Its no where near thinned the way you suggested, but I pulled out about a basketball of greenery and I'm willing to fertilize to get flowers. Lots of learnings from this bed, as they say.

Yeah this is part of the issue, if you leave them to fight it out usually one variety will grow faster / bigger leaves and you'll wind up losing most of the other ones.

On the other hand the fastest and biggest shoot rn could just be weeds...