Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
May I offer you a bougainvillea privacy fence in these trying times?

They're a plant that's classified as a vine, but honestly they can be grown as anything. Vine that can cling to a fence or wall, free standing shrub, bush, sprawling massive cloud of a plant, a goddamn tree, etc. I'd imagine it would take some time to grow it out or finding a nursery that sells bougainvillea large enough, but you could easily have a very lovely privacy hedge that constantly blooms, does well in heat and drought (here in south Texas, I find these plants growing directly in clay soil in a place where not enough water has fallen for grass to grow. They were in full bloom), comes in a lot of different colors, and grows easily but not in a wild way. It has spines too, which I'm not sure if a plus or negative to you. Good for home defense?

Either way, I love bougainvilleas. They're pretty badass.

Shame Boner posted:

Actually, clumping bamboo is an excellent choice for a fast-growing (2 - 3 year) privacy hedge that also blocks sound and wind, is edible,

Wait, what? I only knew that the larger bamboo species have shoots that are edible, I never knew of this. This would change everything. Could you give me a species name please?

Hirayuki posted:

They're pretty happy outside in a Zone 6a late spring/summer. :3: I had 'Escargot' one year, a Rex hybrid with beautiful snail-whorled leaves. But no, I would never have one as a houseplant.

My croton is not doing well. It had lost all its leaves, so it was just a short stalk when I repotted it. It hasn't done anything since, and now I see a spot of white mold or mildew right at the base. Boo. My one sunny windowsill is still too drat cold.

No matter how many times I see an escargot begonia, I'm only struck by how much like something out of a fairy tale they look. :allears: In regards to the croton, yeah, cold windowsills are the devil for humidity issues. With any luck, the stem might still be pliable and alive inside, but the only thing I could think of to do at this point would be introduce on to an outdoor porch that's blocked off to any windchill and snow, or maybe to try having an artificial source of light indoors. It's a shame what's going on, because crotons are pretty cool... :(:hf::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Too late. I have already eaten 20 lbs of bamboo and discovered that I'm actually a panda. I'm just going to have to live with that discovery, and I don't know how to feel.

(no but really, your informative posts about bamboo is honestly pretty badass, and I thank you for it. Bamboo is a cool and strange plant that I'd like to experience out in the wild one day.)

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
In the great dandelion struggle of 2018, I come to offer a point on the benefits of dandelions.

picture from a person on the internet's blog

Dandelions can be food and good. :yum:

Unrelated but I also did not spend a couple of days taking photographs of beautiful ephemeral spring weeds. Nope. Not at all.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 24, 2018

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Came here to post a picture from reddit of this lovely plant I've never heard of before:

source

But I heard about the discussion of most hated plants. I'm stuck between Chinese tallow trees because of how invasive and ecologically destructive those drat things are, and that of... grass. Commercial species of grass. How about we let the outdoors go back to their native environment and plant native species, ugly or not, instead? :unsmigghh:

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Just noticed that the lawn of my rental is being invaded by mint and some other low flowering plant. Lots of pretty blue/purple flowers.

This is beautiful, god. Spring time is just a lovely time to realize what sort of plants are just naturally lurking around on the ground that I otherwise wouldn't think of.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I used to have daylilies, but my dog ate them every time he went out into the yard, and eventually we didn't have any left. I knew already they were edible in some sort, but I guess now I know not poisonous in the slightest.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

OOH! I have a pergola I’d love to cover in vines, does anyone know of a species that could survive in Las Vegas on the north side of a house? Hours of direct sun have killed both vines I’ve tried.

You can try bougainvillea. They can be trained up any support system, and I've seen them blooming colorfully even in the pure clay, rain-less desert of the Texas-Mexico border. I still don't know how a plant that supposedly was discovered along the riversides of Central America manages to do that, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 9, 2018

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kid sinister posted:

I saw this on my Facebook feed and I want one, a Persian Carpet Flower.

Going to put this in the OP, it's pretty drat awesome.

By the way, anyone interested in some free plant seeds? I've had these forever, and wasn't able to plant any since I no longer have a large enough space for them.

They are the following:

Cosmic Purple Carrots
Radish "French Breakfast"
Cilantro

I'm mailing them away for free, but if you have any spare stamps to offer, then that'd be pretty cool too! Mostly I'm just trying to get these seeds to a good home, so if you'd be interested in some nice plants, then let me know!

For now though, have some more plant pics.

Cotyledon pendens

Hyloterephium(Sedum) sieboldii

Sedum suaveolens (this one is the most surprising to me since I didn't know that sedums could look almost exactly like an echeveria)

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hubis posted:

I would legitimately love some "French Breakfast" radishes. My wife was making a recipe that called for them specifically (thanks, Ottolenghi :rolleyes: ) and we were both like " :stare: right, radishes it is". It'd be neat to have the real thing. Also, I am pretty sure purple carrots would blow my toddler's mind.

Okay, so it seems like the French Breakfast and Cosmic Purples are on the list here for you. I've sent you a PM for more info.

If anybody wants some cilantro seeds, I can give that away too. :kimchi:

I also collected some tiny fern fronds with spores way back when off an oak tree, but it seems like trying to propagate those are is a load of work. Also, there's the possibility that those spores probably aren't well anymore... but still, maybe I'll give those a shot while I'm clearing out my seed collection.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^Those are beautiful, congrats! Mini African Violets are cool tiny plants with big personality. :)

Meanwhile, have another pic of alien flora found from Reddit:

x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's been a trend lately for botanical (mainly succulents) prints to be in vogue, and I love it.

x