Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

XVIII posted:

Monstera living up to its name, and the plant connoisseur herself. This one's starting to concern me for space. I'm in a maritime 9a, would it survive living outdoors permanently from next spring now it's quite big (the monstera, not the cat)? Could I keep it out if I fleeced it in the winter?

Nice one. If you're concerned about the space it's taking up, you could try training it up the wall and along the ceiling like I've done with mine. This was taken a year or two ago, and I've re-potted it since. It's probably twice as long now. I'm amazed at how stunted it was from being root bound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

kid sinister posted:

How does it not fall over? Do you have it fastened to the wall? Depleted uranium in the pot?

Yeah, I've got it held up with fabric wraps pinned to the wall. I realise this isn't optimal, as in nature they cling to moss covered tree trunks, but It seems to do well enough.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kenning posted:

This is siiiiick.

Hey thanks for that! Here's an updated photo

Bonus houseplant photos:

Bamboo and spider plants in an old pickle jar full of water

Some sort of lily Mrs. Chiller picked up a few years back

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looking back through some garden photos from earlier in the year, I found this shot. Managed to shoot a bee right in mid flight! (no bees were harmed in the making of this image)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Enfys posted:

That picture is amazing

Ha! Thank you. It was a total lucky shot.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ha! Lawns..... I'm sure my neighbours hate me. I'm just happy if something is green in my yard, so no pulling "weeds" for me. Dandelions are not to be pulled. They are one of the first flowers to show in the spring, and the bees need the food. Bees take precedence over my neighbours' sense of aesthetics. Are there plants there and are they growing ok? Good, job's done. Did it go brown because we're in a drought? I'm sure it will come back in the fall. The water is for the plants that either give me food or run the risk of crushing my house if they die. Right now, my lawns are a running battle between clover, dandelions, moss, some variety of grass, various ferns, and ahuge variety of other weeds. Sounds like a healthy mixed crop ecosystem if you ask me. All that gets yanked out are plants that steal from my food producing plants, and the drat morning glory that was threatening the spruce trees around the property line. Those loving plants need to die right away. They grow too fast and overshadow whatever they touch.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Enfys posted:

Lavender grows really well and the bees will love you.
(i like bees)

On this topic: I like bees too, and have a big pot of lavender sat out back right now. If anyone knows, can you tell me should we be cutting all of the growth off every year? Or are we supposed to just deadhead it? Or do we just pluck what we want as we use it, and leave the rest of the growth over winter? Because that's what we've done so far. We only got the plant last spring, and it got huge over the summer. You are right, the bees loved it! Well, that and the tomatoes/cukes growing right alongside the lavender.

tl;dr How do I prune/harvest lavender?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

goodnight mooned posted:

Once lavender starts getting woody it's usually cut back hard. This keeps it nice and bushy and in shape. Lavender take a very hard prune. Usually it's cut back by about half when it's done flowering.

Cool, thanks. So, assuming I haven't pruned the lavender, and it's probably at or just past last frost/freeze: Is there any reason not to just cut it right back to the woody stump?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

anatomi posted:

I suppose my tastes sadly align with those of an old lady, but how can you not love African violets? They're so pretty and bloom constantly. So many varieties...

I agree. We got one in a basket with some daffodils this past January. I didn't know anything about Aftican violets at the time, so you can see the burnt marks where I got water on the leaves. Since then, however, this plant has done really well, with a whole bunch of new leaves and flowers!

African Violet https://imgur.com/gallery/qB1M0

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey succulent fans, can you identify some plants for me?

Is it normal for those ones that grow into towers to do a 180, and start growing downwards like that?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Dandelion should be killed to death with no mercy given. I did not dig a tonne of compost into my borders for you dandelions.

Counter point: when dandelions are starting to bloom, it is the same time that bees start re-emerging, and there isn't a lot else in bloom for the bees to feed on. I leave my dandelions alone to help feed the bees illegally kept in by neighbor's yard(stupid animal bylaw here says the only animals you can keep are domesticated dogs and cats. All others are prohibited). The bees have a hard enough time without the extra kick in the rear end of us removing scarce early season food.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Huh, never knew there was a plant thread!

Got a monstera related question. Does new growth ever appear on the lower parts of the plant, or do new leaves only appear on top? Does cutting it back promote new growth?
One of my monteras have gotten very leggy during the dark winter months. Repotted it a while back, but it has not been thriving at all after I repotted it. Guess I just need to give it some time settle. Lost quite a few of the lower leaves though. The top leaves seem healthy, but the plant is already fairly tall and there's not a whole lot going on at the bottom of the plant anymore :/ If I cut back some of the stems, there won't be any leaves left at all...

Looks like nobody else wants to chime in on this one just yet. In my experience, new growth mostly shows up at the end of the vine, but sometimes it will branch out from some mid point. I'm not sure how to induce / prevent that? Or, new shoots will sprout from the roots. You might want to look into some sort of support for the vines you have. They can grow very long, given the chance. And by the looks of it, you might want a bigger pot for the amount of plant you have there.

What I did with mine was train the single vine up the wall for a few years, then when we moved into this place, put it up on the shelf, and run it along the ceiling. It was super pot bound for quite a long while, and once I re-potted it into its current pot, it sent up a second vine, which I'm training along the ceiling in the other direction. It also branched out about halfway along the main vine. This one is coming up on 14 years since starting as a cutting I took from the lobby of our old apartment building. I also prune off any aerial roots once they're about 4 inches long or so. Mostly for aesthetic reasons, and because that's what my grandfather did when I was little. I've just been going by what he used to do.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Thanks! Is that your monstera in the pic? It looks amazing! Never seen them grow that long indoors before... Mine is 3 years old, but if it keeps up this pace of legginess it'll be several meters long in a couple more years haha

It's not that visible in the pic, but the plant has some support. I trained the main stems to bamboo sticks after repotting it. Before repotting, it was sort of laying across my entire windowsill, blocking out all my sunlight + looking ready to topple over.

There was a couple of new sprouts a few months back, but they're very thin and leggy with small sadlooking leaves... I guess I'll just keep at it, and hope it survives the repotting. It was 110% rootbound in its last pot and I was a bit rough with the poor plant in the process :/

Yeah, that's a photo of my plant. I remember reading about Monstera that the first 2 leaves of a shoot will actually move away from light, as in nature they will be seeking a tree to climb up, before reaching for the light. It checks out in my experience that the first couple leaves are always sad looking little things, with the third and subsequent leaves being bigger with splits in them. I remember one time on vacation to Costa Rica, the place we rented had what looked like a Monstera climbing up a tree in the yard. It went waaaaaaay up the trunk, and had huge leaves. So I imagine my plant has a long way to go before it reaches its maximum length.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

They root from cuttings super duper easily. Make sure you have a node and a leaf, and stick that in a vase with water. After a while you should notice it starting to develop roots. Boom! You got yourself a new plant.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Monstera or peppers? I really hope its peppers that would be awesome

Sorry, I meant Monstera. Never tried propagating peppers with cuttings.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Snoo posted:

i put two jalapeno plants in the same pot because i ran out of big pots :(

amazing how happy every plant of mine has been once i got them outside. my coleus (seeds taken from last year's plant) are looking good, the tomatoes and basil are doing well, the sage came back from the brink of death...

i grabbed some morning glory seedlings from my parents' yard bc they have so many and i'm hoping to train them up to cover the one side of the balcony railing that faces our gross annoying neighbor :hmmyes: hopefully i can make some kinda diy trellis with metal coathangers and cotton twine!

Be careful with the morning glories. They can take over, and do the whole tree killing ivy thing. I am currently engaged in an ongoing battle to save a line of fir trees at the back of our yard from those pesky vines.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That seems like an ideal use for them!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's a commercially grown bumblebee nest, they're bought ready to use and keep going until the hive gets old and dies. Sterile hives so they don't make more.

Why sterile? Is it to make sure you stay locked in and buy more bees? I would imagine it is preferable to have sustained hives in your area.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Shoutout to Harry Potter on Ice, and other jade growers. This spring I decided to give a bit of attention to the old jade plant that has been a fixture in our North facing kitchen window for years. It was super leggy, bur had a few good trunks, so I pruned it back to one node above where it last branched, and I tried to leave one untouched branch on each trunk. I moved it to under lamps, and when new growth appeared, I started hardening it off, to move onto the patio. It's had a couple weeks outside now. Next step is to give it a bigger pot. It's pretty rootbound.

Also shown is an echiveria of some sort, and a hobbit jade. I thought they looked cool in the store. Aaand a big pot with some transplants from the front flowerbed

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pearl necklace is pretty unique, but I don't know about rarity.
Uhhhh, make sure you include the word succulent in your googling for that one.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've heard them called string of pearls, maybe a little Freudian slip?

Sir Lemming posted:

That... might not help

I realise I'm way behind on this, but let's just call that one a little oopsie ok?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Can I get some help identifying a plant please?

This was a gift and only marked "tropical". The leaves feel kind of plump, like it miiiiiight be a succulent, but I'm not sure.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TofuDiva posted:

Peperomia is a strong possibility. Or, depending on how plump the leaves are, maybe a Crassula, like C. volkensii? What do the stems look like?

Sorry I took so long to respond, they look like this

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Great! Thankd for the help. P. Cubensis you say? :eyepop: not what I expected at all.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

elgarbo posted:

(Don't use perlite, it sucks.)

I'm curious about this. Could you go into a bit more detail? I've been using 1:1 potting soil : perlite for my jade and echevaria. You've got me worried now.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ah, I see how those points could be biggger drawbacks for other applications, but I always wear gloves when dealing with potting soil, and don't ge5 much windd in the house. Thought it might have been secretly poisoning the plants or something.
Cheers

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Or you could do like me, and just submit to your new spiny overlords. At least blackberries give you something edible, and attract a huge amount of pollinators. I'll have to see if I can find the photos and video I took last year while they were in bloom. I remember seeing 3 different kinds of bees present in the frame at once.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well, my bulbs are coming up and looking like Spring has a good chance of being loving.

Snowdrops just starting to bloom.

Will post pics when I get time.

Are you located in coastal BC? My wife sent me photos of ours popping up last week, and I'm fearful we're going to get another cold snap, killing them all off.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Last year, my wife bought me a couple grow lamps so I could keep my jades from getting leggy over the winter.

This year, being sick of the colour these things give off, I picked up some cheap, bright, cool white led fixtures, and wired them up to a lamp plug, and inline switch. They're quite a bit brighter, and much easier on the eyes.

Bonus plants: discount tulip bulbs purchased laaaaaate, then chilled in the fridge just started blooming.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Did the lights seem to help much compared to other winters?
Very much so.
You could say the difference was night and day :rimshot:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Those who know better, feel free to correct me, but I thought cedar was toxic to other plants. I've been told to only use cedar mulch on walkways, or other places where you don't want any plants to grow, never as a garden or tree mulch.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Motion activated sprinklers are super useful. We used to use them at my old work site to keep birds off our dock and boat. There was a flock of black turnstones that loved to hang out there, and leave an unholy mess. Quick shot of water would shoo them along right away. Didn't help with the otters though. Those brazen stinkers would stare you down and piss directly on the mooring lines while just out of arm's reach.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Givin' those spider plants a shower

Getting the jades used to the sun again

Thinkin' bout those Spring flowers

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wallet posted:

Keep in mind that not all succulents can be propagated from cuttings so it's worth googling "whatever propagation" before you spend three months looking at a leaf that was never capable of rooting.

If you read around you'll see people say a lot of different things. You basically just take an appropriate cutting (or leaf you accidentally knocked off or whatever), optionally hit it with some root hormone, let the wound callous over (you can usually tell pretty clearly) and then wait for it to root in some sun. Depending on the kind of plant/cutting you can either lay it on top of soil or stick the end of it in while you wait for it to start rooting.

A lot of people talk about misting their cuttings daily even before they have roots (after they have calloused) but I'm not convinced that it accomplishes much of anything. Once they have roots they can start taking up water (in small amounts more often than a full plant). Then you just wait for them to get big enough to treat them like a regular (small) plant.

Thread is better when the balance of pictures to :words: is maintained so here's some Sedum rubrotinctum leaves I knocked off by accident that are starting to put out new tiny little leaves:

And here's some cuttings of Sedum sexangulare (and maybe some other variety) that are rooting like mad:

This works super well with jade plants
Here are some I did with leaves on some homemade succ mix in a takeout container I punched drain holes in. Also a piece that broke off another random succ I got as a gift.

These are ready to be dug out and put in their own pots any time. I usually dig them out with a fork, and try to tease whatever roots it has out from the others.

Here's another tray I've been growing cuttings and pruned leaves in

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've only started growing flowers in the garden last year. I've previously focussed onlearning to grow food, but my wife asked for some more flowers. So I tried growing petunias, and it worked really well. So this year I picked up a couple different varieties to try out.
Check out these guys. A couple different double blooms, and a trailing variety.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

A pretty addition to my dark pink petunias and calibrachoa.
Let's see those 'tunias! Here's mine
Beds and pots

The hanging baskets

I planted a mixed variety, a couple different double blossom varieties, and one called purple wave, which has a trailing habit. Last year was my first year growing flowers from seed, and I was really happy with the petunias, so I expanded my selection this year.
Trying out cosmos for the first time this year. My little girl picked them out, and I recognised the name from animal crossing, so thought what the hell? I'll cobble together a flowerbed she can have to herself. Then she can pick all the flowers she likes without destroying the tomatoes and cukes. They're coming along nicely.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm redoing my living room and I'd like to add some plants. Specifically, I was hoping I could put something in the space above the corner fireplace that would have vines and leaves that could drape down and help cover hide the fireplace:

Is there anything I should look for specifically, or should I just visit my local home and garden store and find something with vines? The space does have a recessed fluorescent light, but I imagine that's probably not ideal for most plants. I don't think it would get direct sunlight otherwise--the patio door faces due south. I'm in Washington, DC. I've only tried house plants once--corn plants from Ikea about 10 years ago and that failed miserably, so I have a lot of reading up to do this time around.

Another option for above your fireplace could be spider plants. They put out shoots that hang down and sprout baby plants. They can eventually create a nice cascading sheet of green. They don't need much light, so recessed fluorescents would be a big bonus. They would live fine on the ambient light there. Spider plants are also very drought tolerant, with roots that puff up and fill with water, acting as a living water tank. Don't waste your money on buying more than one, unless you're dead set on filling all the space immediately. The only plant I can think of that might be easier to propagate is mint. When you get baby plants forming on a runner, place them in a starter cup, and once they have started to root, cut them off the mother. Presto, you now have another spider plant!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yarrow is great. Stays nice and soft in drought condditions, while the surrounding grass turns brown and hard on the feet. Plays nice with clover too. Seems to grow well in the shady parts of my lawn. Googling shows people growing it as an herb, but it is mixed in all over my lawn, and is supposedly a common compoment in meadow and pasture seed mixes. It can get really tall if you let it go to seed, but it will do well with regular mowing too.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Heyoh, heads up! Saw the announcement about a new rotating subforum generally about outdoors, rather than just hiking, and I started a gardening thread, in the hopes of maybe attracting more people growing things that might not see this or the veggies and herb gardening thread.
Come post there too
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey jade plant people, I have a strange situation. I've been attempting to propagate a hobbit jade, but every one I start from a leaf grows without tubular leaves. They end up growing to form leaves that are smaller than a regular jade, but shaped roughly the same. I have a branch cutting that has taken root, and it seems to be producing the tubular leaves I'm lookong for.

Why do I seem to get a different plant when I propagate from leaves?

Easier to use youtube these days than imgur. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzbYban1yQ This hopefully shows what I'm talking about better than my description above.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 23, 2020