Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Jestery posted:

My lemon balm is in bloom

Tis wonderful

Is that the Australian one that goes by the same name as Melissa officinalis? What's it taste like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

wooger posted:

Nah that’s not lemon verbena, that’s lemon balm, just a close relative of mint.

Luke mint, it grows like a weed in the UK.

Lemon Verbena looks like this

Have both in my garden.

But I thought "Lemon balm" (Melissa) looks like this:

Is there a plant mystery afoot??

Edit: I always kill my lemon verbena. I always think that they will make it through winter.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 19, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Tremors posted:

Alright goons, I bought a house that has what I believe to be some sizable wisteria vines. While the flowers are pretty, I'd rather not have a massive bee magnet near the deck since my partner is allergic to stings. Are there any suggested herbicides or techniques to get rid of it? I hear I can be quite the beast to kill. I'm in zone 6a if that matters.

Salt the earth

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

The first lesson of garden design is: remember how big trees get. The rest is just a matter of picking stuff that grows well in your climate I guess.

Also, for hard landscaping, use natural stone that comes from your region!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

showbiz_liz posted:

My parents planted birch trees shortly before I was born and by 15-20 years later they absolutely dwarfed the house. This was ok except for the fact that their voracious demand for water led one of them to tap into the sewer line under the front lawn.

I had to recently inspect and cut back a bunch of 30 year old Birches that a guy had decapitated five years or so ago, because he believed that trees needed/liked to be chainsawed in half for some reason.
All of them just rotting severely away at the points they had been cut
Thing is, he had a huge garden and lived in the middle of nowhere, so they had all the space they needed!

Anyway, what was going on with garden design? I have dabbled, I really enjoy the plan drawing aspect, but am out of practice because I mostly just do new planting of small beds and customers just let me do what I want and that doesn't warrant the effort really.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Is anyone here successful in growing avocados in cool temperate climates? If so I have questions about growing avocados in cool temperate climates

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Platystemon posted:

You may find this PDF about growing avocados in Japan to be useful.

Thanks, though sadly can't access it, but thanks anyway. Pretty wild for me to learn about the htfg's existence though.

I guess the only question(s) I have is about feeding the things over summer and winter.

I used a fairly rough organic compost to grow the freshly rooted/sprouted seeds, and they seemed to love it, putting out a lot of healthy looking growth over summer.
I think they got burnt from the first winter chill, as the leaf-tips have died off a little.

But like do avocados need a special winter routine/feed as they sit sadly in the window looking at the snow?

I have no growing lights, but may consider them if people think they are a good idea.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Oldstench posted:

Any grass masters here? My wife wants to replant the yard but I have no idea what type of grass we have. I can't find anything that looks like what we have online. Any ideas?

Sadly I'm not a master at all, so I can't say what that is (ident is easier with a flower stalk though); could even be a wild grass that has settled in.
What I do know is you should have more than one type of grass in your lawn: basically when you sow or re-sow a lawn, say after scarification, you use a seed mix that is appropriate to your climate/soil/useage/whatever, and it generally has 3 complimentary grass type in it, to varying percentages.

Lawn care/greenkeeping is a huge topic and has its own separate qualifications to horticulture, and it will all vary depending on climate zone and "what my grandpa taught me", so wait and see if someone else knows what's what.

Probably should say what zone/area you are in though?

(Edit: I have a stupid camelia question coming up sometime, stay tuned!)

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

do clover instead

or raised beds

or an entire yard of dandelionwildflowers
Going do some roughing up for wildflower strips around the lawn in spring, should be fun

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Bi-la kaifa posted:

That reminds me, I want to turn the strip of lawn between a cedar hedge and the road into a wildflower bed. I was going to mix the seeds into a topsoil and topdress the area heavily. Should I do some prep beforehand?

My plan is I'm going to mow very deep then either borrow a scarifier or rake the lawn (landscaping rake) up first, until it looks like a real mess. Then scratch in the seeds with no top dressing.
I am not sure how well top dressing the area will work, if the seeds are too deep they may not germinate, but I imagine mowing the heck out of the area for a while first will necessary

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

No, old olive trees sometimes. Pics?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Nice euphorbia!
I am really appreciating euphorbia varieties in the garden, due to the summer heat and semi-drought the last few years in North West Europe.

subpar anachronism posted:

Oh man, disappointing :( Thanks for the info though!
I have only ever seen Piper in the Eden project UK, (biomes and plant stuff) have to take some pictures there when travel is viable again.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Had a great time pruning some apple trees with my giraffe today

And thank you for identifying that cactus KS; I was staring at it for a long time at the garden center, in deep contemplation.

Camellia question:

Any ideas on what causes these leaf "holes"?
This specimen is planted out in the garden, semi shade, and a good number of the leaves have these, almost like burn holes, but otherwise it seems ok (despite probably needing more feed and compost, (the climate here in Germany is tbh not great for them either)).

I wonder if maybe it's something to do with a sooty-mold that I often see on camelias that spend time over winter in a greenhouse?

E. Ah, forgot thread was exploding.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 17, 2020