Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is this some kind of monstrose deal? Some of them seem to have their leaves straighten out and become more like normal Haworthia with time/the appropriate circumstances but I have no idea what those are. They look neat

It's not a mutation thing—I believe both the varieties I mentioned are native to South Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Hey Kaiser, check this camellia out, very unusual leaves: Sake cup camellia

I thought I was about to buy one during their plant sale, but it turns out the listing was an error smfh. Can't even find more information about it other than the pics on their website and what looks like a couple peer reviewed papers, I'm about to send them an email and get the scoop on how to get some cuttings or something lol

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Nosre posted:

Get on the bugs ASAP because they'll only get worse and risk spreading to other stuff. I use a spray bottle with water and a bit of mild soap (aka not detergent) and oil, like 1 tablespoon each per liter (don't have to be very precise). Neem oil is the best, but a veg oil will substitute in a pinch; important thing is it sticks to and suffocates the buggers. Spray heavily, then rinse it off after 20 minutes or something. Works best outside obviously...

The browning I'm not sure, it does kinda look like cold damage? I've never had it though so I can't say for sure.

subpar anachronism posted:

Spider mites for sure. I would cover the soil so it doesn't fly everywhere and haul the whole thing into the shower before applying the spray. They'll spread on a breeze so you want to quarantine that asap.

Thank you both. I've given it it's first treatment of a product my only local garden store said is equivalent to neem. Tomorrow I'm also going to repot in new soil to ensure the browning isn't caused by anything down there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Hey Kaiser, check this camellia out, very unusual leaves: Sake cup camellia

I thought I was about to buy one during their plant sale, but it turns out the listing was an error smfh. Can't even find more information about it other than the pics on their website and what looks like a couple peer reviewed papers, I'm about to send them an email and get the scoop on how to get some cuttings or something lol

That is super cool and also seems like a heinously bad mutation for a plant that tends to like high rainfall climates. I hadn't even thought about camellias being bred for foliage. Now I want a variegated camellia, but maybe that would ruin the effect? Red, japanese maple kind of veins? Cutleaf camellias? It's all too much.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone know what could be causing these yellow spots on my dracaena giganta? they seem to be pretty recent, so I'm wondering if it's related to the colder, drier weather.

otherwise it's about 12-13 feet from the nearest window so it doesn't get much direct sunlight. I water it whenever the soil feels pretty dry, enough that water comes out the bottom into the saucer. most but not all leaves are affected.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So we recently bought a house and my aunt brought over Iris rhizomes descended from the Irises she took from my grandmother's house 30 years ago after her death. The squirrels are digging them up. I'm usually the type to just let the squirrels do their thing, but these have high sentimental value to me. How do I stop this? If I wasn't in the city I'd just take my shotgun and clear the squirrels out. I'm also not interested in live traps. Is there something I can put down to discourage them from digging them up that won't harm the Irises?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chili flakes supposedly works.

A physical barrier like hardware cloth definitely does.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My lemon balm is in bloom

Tis wonderful

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Jestery posted:

My lemon balm is in bloom

Tis wonderful

Is that the Australian one that goes by the same name as Melissa officinalis? What's it taste like?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

RickRogers posted:

Is that the Australian one that goes by the same name as Melissa officinalis? What's it taste like?

I'm not sure , a cursory google points me to label it "lemon verbena"

It honestly tastes like that lemon scent you find in soap, with a bit of sharp basily-mint too

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jestery posted:

I'm not sure , a cursory google points me to label it "lemon verbena"

It honestly tastes like that lemon scent you find in soap, with a bit of sharp basily-mint too

Nah that’s not lemon verbena, that’s lemon balm, just a close relative of mint.

Luke mint, it grows like a weed in the UK.

Lemon Verbena looks like this

Have both in my garden.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

wooger posted:

Nah that’s not lemon verbena, that’s lemon balm, just a close relative of mint.

Luke mint, it grows like a weed in the UK.

Lemon Verbena looks like this

Have both in my garden.

But I thought "Lemon balm" (Melissa) looks like this:

Is there a plant mystery afoot??

Edit: I always kill my lemon verbena. I always think that they will make it through winter.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 19, 2020

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
This is my first year growing indoors with a small pet so I have to adjust my pest control practices accordingly. Currently I'm dealing with mealybugs.

Im gonna do the neem oil:dr bronners as a foliage spray and a soil drench (active ingredient in neem works to disrupt reproduction IIRC) 1x weekly. If I see any, I stab them with a needle and spray around the area w rubbing alcohol. Fingers crossed it works. Otherwise I might have to escalate. Any other pet-friendly pest control tips? It's a chihuahua so she wont be getting up into the plants like a cat would, but I don't want any toxic chemicals to drip on the floor accidentally.

I'm mad at myself for mistaking the threads for spiderwebs tbh .. the mfers got a solid foothold for like a month before I noticed my plants dying back. Check your plants frequently and consider spraying & watering w neem:soap prophylactically, its safe for most plants.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

RickRogers posted:

But I thought "Lemon balm" (Melissa) looks like this:

Is there a plant mystery afoot??

Hmm, agree, but it looks more like a mint than a verbena. There are different lemon balms also - I have a variegated leaf one.

RickRogers posted:

Edit: I always kill my lemon verbena. I always think that they will make it through winter.

I am hopeful for mine to overwinter based on how mild the winter here was last year, but might take a cutting soon just in case.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

wooger posted:

Hmm, agree, but it looks more like a mint than a verbena. There are different lemon balms also - I have a variegated leaf one.

Yeah, my lemon balm looks far more like a basil in the flower , could I be wrong? Maybe

My mother gave it to me and it might just be a mystery lemony plant :)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jestery posted:

Yeah, my lemon balm looks far more like a basil in the flower , could I be wrong? Maybe

My mother gave it to me and it might just be a mystery lemony plant :)

There is also lemon basil...

Looks like that might be it in fact.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

wooger posted:

There is also lemon basil...

Looks like that might be it in fact.

Well, I'll be in contact with my lying Madre...

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

otherwise it's about 12-13 feet from the nearest window so it doesn't get much direct sunlight. I water it whenever the soil feels pretty dry, enough that water comes out the bottom into the saucer. most but not all leaves are affected.

Could be a nutrient issue but most likely this is from overwatering. What are you growing it in?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

anyone know what could be causing these yellow spots on my dracaena giganta? they seem to be pretty recent, so I'm wondering if it's related to the colder, drier weather.

Localized yellow spots make me think fungus/mildew but its been pretty dry like you say. Nutrient/water issues usually affect the entire leaf IME. Can you increase airflow to it somehow? Place it in the proximity a vent or drafty area, etc. Not too close so it doesnt get fried of course

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. Not sure if I can do that as its nowhere near a vent. I am going to start running a humidifier during the day and I can put that near it.

It's in whatever soil it had when I bought it.

I used to have it in my bedroom until a couple months ago so I could move it back and see if that helps. I didn't get the spots last winter.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 19, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

It's in whatever soil it had when I bought it.

Nurseries will grow things in all kinds of poo poo that really doesn't work well in a home environment. If it's a relatively deep pot (which it usually is for that kind of Dracaena because they can get top heavy) the stuff most nurseries grow in could be holding water for weeks if you're giving it a thorough watering.

Replanting it in a grittier mix won't hurt either way, and if it is a water issue you really want to get on top of it. If it is overwatering, those yellow spots will start spreading and browning at the center (like the one on the left side of the leaf in the center of the picture) until you start losing leaves.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to move it back into the bedroom for now - the spots were not on the leaves furthest from the window (I rotated it in the picture), so I'm thinking maybe that's not a coincidence. In the bedroom it will be closer to the a/c vent as well - about five instead of twelve feet. Maybe because the sun is lower on the horizon now, the leaves closer to the window got too much whereas the ones further away were kind of shielded?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Alright goons, I bought a house that has what I believe to be some sizable wisteria vines. While the flowers are pretty, I'd rather not have a massive bee magnet near the deck since my partner is allergic to stings. Are there any suggested herbicides or techniques to get rid of it? I hear I can be quite the beast to kill. I'm in zone 6a if that matters.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Tremors posted:

Alright goons, I bought a house that has what I believe to be some sizable wisteria vines. While the flowers are pretty, I'd rather not have a massive bee magnet near the deck since my partner is allergic to stings. Are there any suggested herbicides or techniques to get rid of it? I hear I can be quite the beast to kill. I'm in zone 6a if that matters.

You’ll want to get some round up concentrate and then cut the vine as close to the ground as you can. Once you’ve done that, paint the exposed stump with the roundup. Do that for every stump that you can find, this will help kill the entirety of the roots. After winter, when some inevitably re-emerges, diligently spray all new foliage growth. Continue doing this for roughly a decade

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oil of Paris posted:

Continue doing this for roughly a decade

This is not a joke.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The above is very true. You might leave a bit more of a stump when you cut it off and hack little notches and fill them full of concentrated glyphosate. Might cut a year or two off the battle. It's important to paint/squirt the roundup on VERY quickly after you cut the stump off-like a minute or less. Those cells apparently close up fast.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I've had luck with half-droppers of peppermint oil on cotton balls--one in each container, in my case. Assholes would dig through every one of my pots on the regular.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Tremors posted:

Salt the earth

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

After this thread's tumultuous journey through several forums and names, unsure sense of identity, and considering it has a permabanned OP, I think it thread would be an excellent candidate for trying out a megathread reboot. Does anyone have any interest in writing a new OP or maybe that is something we can do collaboratively? Is now the time to break out houseplants/succulents into their own thread, or do we like them being in this thread too? Thoughts on what this thread should be? General plant appreciation? Flowersonly.com? The Succulent Station?

The current thread would go to the Goodmine and so still be accessible for people without archives. If there are effortposts you've made itt, dig them up and we can link or quote those in the new thread to make them a little easier to find.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
I vote for all ornamental/horticultural plants being in one thread, similar to how the gardening thread covers all productive/edible gardening. One for food, one for eyeballs

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If we want to do a collaborative new OP I would be happy to contribute a section on carnivorous plants/orchids/tropicals in general. I work with those plants professionally, so I have a lot of knowledge there, but I know almost nothing about like, trees or tomatoes or whatever.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

After this thread's tumultuous journey through several forums and names, unsure sense of identity, and considering it has a permabanned OP, I think it thread would be an excellent candidate for trying out a megathread reboot. Does anyone have any interest in writing a new OP or maybe that is something we can do collaboratively? Is now the time to break out houseplants/succulents into their own thread, or do we like them being in this thread too? Thoughts on what this thread should be? General plant appreciation? Flowersonly.com? The Succulent Station?

The current thread would go to the Goodmine and so still be accessible for people without archives. If there are effortposts you've made itt, dig them up and we can link or quote those in the new thread to make them a little easier to find.

Like I said on our long walk in the desert during The Great Exile from DIY, this thread sits in a really nice place in terms of its topic scope. It's great to have lots of posters that have really solid generalist and specialized knowledge all posting in the same thread; I know that I've learned a great deal about subjects that I wouldn't have given a poo poo about otherwise, thanks to smart posters like Wallet on succulents, Platystemon on grafting and citrus, the ancient carnivorous plants posters, you on camellias, etc

It's cool to me that I basically came into the thread only caring to learn a little more about trees (and really not knowing much at all at the time) and now a couple years later feel like I have a pretty deep and broad breadth of knowledge on Plants. I'm not sure that would have happened if I had had to flit between a hypothetical flower thread, a tree thread, and literally never even bothering to click on a succulent/houseplant thread. I was happy to see it renamed to the horticulture thread, because to me that's by far the most accurate title that it could have and captures just how much diversity of nerdy plant knowledge is in one convenient place

And I'm cool with the reboot if everyone else wants to do it, though I've never totally seen the problem with giant old threads. But that's probs bc I've been posting in one about lunch in fyad for like a decade lol. That said, I'd be happy to write or help contribute to a collaborative OP if need be

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

snailshell posted:

I vote for all ornamental/horticultural plants being in one thread, similar to how the gardening thread covers all productive/edible gardening. One for food, one for eyeballs

ditto

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

It's great to have lots of posters that have really solid generalist and specialized knowledge all posting in the same thread

I agree with this, I like Horticulture all living together in one thread. I'd be happy to contribute some stuff to an OP if that's the way we go.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
v upset that flowersonly.com isn't a real website

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Chili flakes worked so far. The tree rats have not been back to bother my Irises. Put this in the new OP.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:blessed:

I’ll put some down myself next time I have trouble.

The rodents have been quiet for a while. I think I have my my pest control contractor (an outdoor cat I befriended) to thank for that. Don’t let your cats roam, but if you do, I will make the best of them.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I'm in favor of all non-edible plant-growing being in one thread, if only so I don't have to figure out where to ask this question:

I've been growing succulents in a basement using a couple of grow lights clamped to some exposed ceiling beams. I'm moving, and I now have a nice window to put my plants in front of! But winter is coming, and I'm not going to get as much light as these plants probably need. I can't hang anything from the ceiling, so I was thinking about thinking about getting a spring-arm desk lamp. The only problem is, the grow lights I have are pretty heavy; they're way heavier than a standard lightbulb, or even a LED bulb (they have a big metal frame/heatsink, I think they're about a pound each). I've done some searching and I can't seem to find a lamp that does what I want; should I just get something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'm in favor of all non-edible plant-growing being in one thread, if only so I don't have to figure out where to ask this question:

I've been growing succulents in a basement using a couple of grow lights clamped to some exposed ceiling beams. I'm moving, and I now have a nice window to put my plants in front of! But winter is coming, and I'm not going to get as much light as these plants probably need. I can't hang anything from the ceiling, so I was thinking about thinking about getting a spring-arm desk lamp. The only problem is, the grow lights I have are pretty heavy; they're way heavier than a standard lightbulb, or even a LED bulb (they have a big metal frame/heatsink, I think they're about a pound each). I've done some searching and I can't seem to find a lamp that does what I want; should I just get something like this?

If you want to continue using your existing lights, you could look at suspension kits intended for aquarium lights. Some of them are designed to support a lot of weight, and they screw into a cabinet or table. You don't need anything that heavy-duty. But there will be a bunch of stuff out there that's marketed to aquarium/terrarium people that you don't have to hang from the ceiling.