Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Wallet posted:

Plants seem to be doing plant things real good now that the sun is coming around.

And this little Echeveria purpusorum (maybe/probably) is going for it:

The cristate Opuntia subulata I found disheveled at Home Depot a while ago also seems to be recovering alright after repotting (it was a lot more root bound than I expected), but its weird shape is kinda hard to photograph:

That's some happy looking cacti/succs. What's your potting mix there? I'm guessing the top rocks are just a dressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jealous as all hell. I struggle to get my cacti and succs more than half-level sun

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Do you separate them out? At least the basils I get from the supermarket are 50 little plants packed into terrible soil

If you space them out and transplant them proper soil/light/water, they should be really easy

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Am I doing anything stupid by using granular fertilizer for pots? I'm used to liquid, but have some hard stuff I want to use up. Was thinking to just sprinkle the proper amount on the surface and water it in over a month.

I'm converting diameter to get the proper dosage. Do I need to worry about pot depth?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Nah that’s fine.

If anything, going by the volume per area prescription is conservative for pots.

Sometimes I’ll get a plant that’s been in the nursery a while and it’s swimming in fertiliser pellets.

Sweet, thanks. Conservative because a lot of it will run out the bottom, I imagine? I can cheat up a bit in the calculation...

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

My first cactus bloom :swoon: Looks like more coming, too, also from the smaller variety

I actually forgot to record what this one is, though, anyone recognize it? (it's two different varieties in that pot)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

poo poo I was going to make a post on difficulties rooting some succulent varieties (this is Gasteria - Little Warty), but it got derailed

First time I've dealt with these. Mealybugs? Look like it, but they were entirely in the base, nothing on the plant up above (which I see in pictures)

1) Do I have to worry about other pots that were nearby, given that these were entirely in the soil? Can they spread even if there were none to be seen above ground?

2) Some of the soil from that pot went into a big container of cactus mix before I saw they were there. Can they live/reproduce in that container, in the absence of any plants?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks. Yea, I'm planning to sterilize soil from that container before I use it again. It's not a huge quantity, so no huge deal

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Might as well grow it inside. I'll pop it in a taller pot in a few weeks if it does well.

I have a bunch of lemons I've done that with for fun, and they do great in pots so far (about 4-5 years old). Very robust and easy to bounce back from any mistreatment

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That's a fun idea, I haven't done any grafting myself but I'll definitely experiment at some point.

But, if you drunkenly buried a seed (similar story to me heh), isn't yours (and mine) a full plant of the scion variant, not the rootstock variant?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

drat that is pretty. I wish I had the land for trees and bigger stuff

Post updates!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Those are gorgeous. I don't have the room for them, but one day...

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

So here’s the where I get to play enabler - most of those varieties do just just fine in medium to largish pots. I buy only gallon sized trees (unless I hit the jackpot at Costco) and they sit in pots anyway until I figure out where they will go, but they could be very happy in a 10+ gallon pot. That’s even before you get into the numerous dwarf varieties. I’ve seen cultivars that max out at 2’x2’.

That's tempting as all hell. I'd have to find them in the EU, though; I've got my local place but have never sourced anything weirder

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

:swoon:

These are a few years old at this point and they're finally really showing off

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like an Echeveria, maybe 'apus' variety

Like most succulents, overwatering is the easiest way to kill them. And that soil looks really heavy, so that'd be my first concern

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea sunburn is a thing if you put them from inside to full sun outside without any adjustment period. You need to expose them to increasing amounts of sun over a week or two.

Not sure about this one in particular, since if your little table solution has been keeping it mostly shady it may still need this adjustment

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Awesome work! I love Dahlias. Planted them way earlier this year (last year I was super conservative about cold days) and I'm already getting the first blooms out now.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've successfully defeated a year+ long gnat problem (I'd get them under control in one section of the house, but inevitably we'd go on vacation and I'd have to move all the plants into one room, and they'd re-spread)

The most important thing was a two-prong attack, targeting both the larva and the adults. Every method is not foolproof so you need more than 1 to eventually win

So for me it was a combination of yellow sticky traps for adults, and nematode drenches for the soil. The latter is cheap enough and easily available, look for Steinernema feltiae or Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

A lot of vines are happy in lower light, and that close to a window should be more than enough for a Pothos or hanging philodendron

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

treat posted:

After 7 years, my Opuntia polyacantha finally flowered for the first time thanks to a neat little trick known as "total neglect."

What I've got here are actually two separate cacti in one pot, grown from cuttings from two distinct plants. Although the smaller cactus took a few extra weeks to bloom, it turned out exactly the way I was hoping it would.

:krad: Magenta and yellow flowers! So exciting. I'm curious to see if I can cross breed these two and get an idea of the dominant allele the old fashioned Mendelian way. There are exactly 2 buds left to bloom on each plant so I'm cutting it close, but they should pop tomorrow or Saturday. Any tips for hand pollinating? Should I stuff the stigma with as much pollen as possible, anther and all, or add a drop of water afterwards to help the transfer?

e; might as well show it off in all it's wild, untamed glory.

That looks amazing. Do you have to worry about it getting too much water, being outside? I'm paranoid after killing various cacti with too much water, but maybe they're more resilient

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Ah, if you're within the natural range, that's way easier then. I'm jealous, my cacti have to live inside!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

3rding 'not enough light'.

Otherwise, with succulents and cacti, I've found that bigger pots are WORSE because it's way easier for you to overwater them (since the excess soil holds more and keeps them damp for longer). For the right one I'd be putting it into something smaller and see if it rebounds (combined with more light, and being careful with water).

The two on the left are indeed sending out roots, and I would cut off those tops, let them seal for a few days, and repot them into smaller pots. The remaining stems will be ugly but will often send out new leaves, and then you'll have 5 instead of 3!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Why not just get rid of the wick thing? That'd free it up for way more cacti/succulents, which would be my first thought for such a tiny pot

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've got a bunch of lemons I grew from random seed (so they're not even dwarves) in pots and they do alright. Not as happy as they would be in their natural habit outside obviously, but I've killed way more succulents and cacti through miswatering and bad soil mixes than I have the lemons.

So, echoing what was said above on fertilizer and light. On water, they're very demonstrative and will show you when they're thirsty. I've actually got some examples:

These guys are outside and we've gotten rain recently so they're happy. Leaves are 'full' looking, perky, and a bit shiny.

This one is just starting to be thirsty. You see the leaves starting to curl up a bit, especially the big one at the top of the image and the little ones I'm aiming the picture at.

This guy is really thirsty, ideally should have watered it a day or two ago. It'll be fine though. The leaves have lost a lot of their "weight" and look+feel papery and thin. The whole tree looks droopy, too.

So like the guys above said, err on the side of less water than more, water deeply when you do, and eventually you should be able to get a feel for it by just looking at it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

jojoinnit posted:

Hey I really appreciate these examples! My leaves are looking like the middle pic so I'll give them more water than I've been doing and do my best to make sure I don't leave it too wet at the bottom.

No problem! Just a quick caveat that it is a different species so it may not look exactly the same. It's still sounding like you're thinking more water than necessary - I water these probably less than once a week, none of that "topping up multiple times throughout the week" needed.

The pot - yea drainage holes are extremely important, otherwise it's WAY easier to mess up the watering and kill it from wet feet. With drainage holes, it's literally just 'water until it's run into the tray underneath about a centimetre deep" and you're done.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

When this thread was moved here the weird thing for me was that it appeared to make no place for potted/houseplants. Assuming the gardening thread in DIY stays the same, you could have

-that one (vegetable gardens)
-another DIY thread for potted plants/ornamentals/lawns (?)/etc
-a thread in TGO for outdoors botany, hikes, trees, more 'wild' stuff

If the problem is lack of activity, though, segregating further is not the answer

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

At least with my non-dwarf lemons they expand to fill a new pot real quick. I've never done that big of a jump, though... you'd have to be even more careful with overwatering it, because the big problem with excess soil is it stays damp for longer

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

jojoinnit posted:

Hello plant friends, I have questions on the continued care of my dwarf citrus. I noticed that starting last week some leaves are brown and curling and others have spots and other damage. From googling it seems I've acquired a spider aphid infestation. :(

My questions are; does this look like it's just the insects or do I have other issues? From the fact some areas of the tree are unaffected I'm wondering if there's inconsistent draining happening to some of the roots or perhaps my fertilizer is sightly wrong? Is it just the recent cold snap combined with the aphids? For the insects, is there a best way to remove them or should I just wipe down each leaf and branch?

Here's the pics with symptoms.

Webbing indicating insect issue and slight browning on some leaves:

Get on the bugs ASAP because they'll only get worse and risk spreading to other stuff. I use a spray bottle with water and a bit of mild soap (aka not detergent) and oil, like 1 tablespoon each per liter (don't have to be very precise). Neem oil is the best, but a veg oil will substitute in a pinch; important thing is it sticks to and suffocates the buggers. Spray heavily, then rinse it off after 20 minutes or something. Works best outside obviously...

The browning I'm not sure, it does kinda look like cold damage? I've never had it though so I can't say for sure.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I did the mosquito bits thing and they do help but I needed multiple avenues of attack to finally beat them. Basically something for the adults as well (sticky yellow traps) so you're targeting both stages

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone ID this thing? The leaves are super thick and fleshy, pretty neat. Unfortunately my store just had it as "assorted succulents' though

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Awesome, thanks! That'll help me hopefully not kill it :sun:

:3:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

a few pictures if need be for the thread reboot :sun:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

On another note, I got this shelf recently to quadruple my plant space there and I'm super happy with it. Ongoing problem is, though, that that's the best light in the house but it's still not enough for some of the succulents/cacti.

I figure I could nestle some grow lights up in the bottom 2 shelves and have a nice boost for the neediest varieties - problem is, it's a very thin spot and I'm thinking I'll have to go custom.

Anyone experienced with DIY lighting like that? This site https://yxoyuxinou.aliexpress.com/store/903774/search?spm=2114.12010615.8148358.1.5ee97fbc0cyCq3 seems to have everything I'd need, but it's pretty daunting to figure out wiring/heatsinks/LED controllers

[edit] on 2nd thought this is probably way overkill for the job (since it's just 'topping up' natural light and not replacing it) and something like this would probably be fine even if it doesn't fill the space perfectly https://www.amazon.de/-/en/CXhome-LED-Plant-Lamp-T5/dp/B088QVN89Q/

Nosre fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 14, 2020

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Very nice, and nice collection!

Yea I'm in the EU so my other issue is it's sometimes tough finding the same brands - and indeed, no hits for Barrina in german amazon. The one I linked uses Samsung LED chips which are the best apparently, so seems legit.

I totally bailed on assembling them myself when I found these strips which will accomplish 80% of the task for 5% of the effort/time, heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I love this Dahlia pompon 'Marble Ball' I had doing weird genetics things

Schmeichy posted:

What an impressive plant shelf Nosre! If I came to visit I'd spend the whole time looking at all your beautiful specimens.
Thank you :3:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)