Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
This particular cherry is pretty large, about 40-50 or so feet tall if I had to eyeball it. I don’t think it’s suffering from lack of nutrients or water, I think it’s just been so goddamn hot

I’ve noticed some other cherries around town also dropping leaves, along with red buds and other early bloomers. hope that it’s just this weird year that’s making them call it quits early, but still struck me as odd. would suck rear end if it had somehow died out of nowhere :stare:

definitely wanted to see if anyone else had seen similar poo poo going down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

showbiz_liz posted:

I have an opportunity to take on a major role in rehabbing a butterfly garden in a public park (as in, my friend and I would take over from the one lady who's been doing everything and is looking to hand it off). Currently it's super overgrown and a bit shabby, but more than half of the plants are actually supposed to be there, so it's not a disaster or anything. I am super excited about the possibility but I'm pretty new to gardening in general and have never done something like this before. Any tips, thoughts, horror stories? We're in NYC.

Are you trying to stay native or just want to make the pollinators and butterflies happy?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

showbiz_liz posted:

I think native is nice but not the priority. Seems like priority one is increasing the milkweed, which is present but being outcompeted by other stuff.

I'm going to take photos soon, and my friend is also gonna get a list of the current plants from the current person in charge (who also has some seeds we'll need to inventory). I can only identify some of it by sight. I know there's a big patch of mugwort on one edge that we'll need to fight.

A lot will very much depend on how much size you have in the area, so if you can get a good estimate of that then we will really know what to recommend. You can grow most of the same stuff that I can in your zone, so I'll just mention some plants that are very popular with the pollinators. Native plant foliage is very important for butterfly larvae food, not necessarily the nectar, which can pretty much be anything native or not; that's why bees for instance don't really give a poo poo what you plant as long as they can get in there and root around for food

Here's my top choices of perennials:

Coneflower (Echinacea)- this is pretty much foundational for any butterfly or pollinator garden
Butterfly Weed (Asclepias)- likewise foundational but you already have that
Joe Pye Weed (Eutrochium purpureum)- hat trick foundational

All three of the above plants are drat near required for a good pollinator situation

Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum incanum)- will bloom the entire growing season
Baptisia- I've beaten the baptisia drum a lot in this thread so I'll just leave it at that they're a low maintenance early spring feeder, also a host
Bee balm (Monarda)
Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
Cup flower (Silphium perfoliatum)- gets big
New York Iron Weed (Vernonia noveboracensis)- also a larva host
Hardy lantana- gets VERY big, cut to ground every winter
Cat Mint (Nepeta) - early spring bloomer, low maintenance
Penstemon- Great choice for low maintenance and lovely soils
Liatris
Perennial Sunflower
Phlox
Goldenrod (Solidago) - great for late summer and fall nectar, very clutch
Aster- same deal as golden rod but also serves as a host plant for larvae
Verbena (Verbena bonariensis)- feeds a huge variety of butterflies

That list should carry you through from spring until the end of fall easily. Many of them are vigorous weeds in their own right, and so also do well in making sure that undesirable weeds can't hack it in the garden.

Annuals (all of these attract butterflies but also tend to be successful in reseeding themselves for the next year):
Zinnia
Bachelor button (Centaurea cyanus)
Rubeckia
Coleus
Amaranth

Now Butterfly Bush (Buddleia) is an incredible woody plant for butterflies but is controversial, as it is considered invasive in some environments. To me, this is easily solved by getting one of the sterile cultivars, of which there are many to choose from. They absolutely love this plant and will be covered with butterflies from dawn to dusk. It is woody, but it should be cut nearly to the ground every spring for maximum flowers and good foliage

Similarly, the chaste tree (vitex) is woody non-native but isn't really invasive at all in your zone. Can grow into an actual tree but is really more like a big shrub. It may even die back to the ground if you have a really rough winter but would be fine. I highly recommend both aesthetically and functionally

Edit: In terms of practical advice, I would get a soil test done to make sure that the soil hasn't been depleted from use over the years, since you don't know the history of the plot and how well the balance of nutrients has been maintained

Additionally, you'll want to plant some native grasses (it's more important that these are native imo) for shelter and host plants. I'm waiting to see how big your area is before recommending any of these bc some would be downright impractical

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 10, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Goongrats on becoming mod kaiser. The reign of the plant thread begins :catstare:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I have defeated many a yard pest. What is the beast? *unsheathes katana*

Lol just read your post more carefully, you haven’t seen the interloper yet, my bad. you should post a pic of the hole

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 12, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'll be putting some stuff in for insects, but honestly I dislike them too. I'm sure I can find better alternatives.

Painting the stumps shouldn't be a problem; I don't plan on leaving any.

The only one I would consider keeping would be tree 11, the mahonia. With just a little pruning that would be a pretty nice big specimen, and they've got great flowers/fruits. Very interesting looking plant, and its always nice to have something bloom in the late winter and early spring.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

wait what does removing leaves do?

Causes the plant to direct more energy into the fruit. You're stopping the main growing point, and the plant will search for somewhere else to put the power, so the fruit will absorb most of it, which will cause it to swell and ripen more quickly

Hate that I missed the plant ID party. Considering the other plants, I'm pretty surprised there isn't a viburnum of some sort in there somewhere but I can't find one

Also Jaded Burnout I would cut back 12 when you get rid of everything but not stump grind it yet. The color of the foliage looks real promising to me, and while I'm not ready to hang my hat on hydrangea, it could be something that would otherwise be cool but has been overshadowed and etoliated by the other plants. A clean up might go a long way!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Fair enough on not liking hydrangea. Not totally willing to commit to that ID but it’s nbd to just tear it out if you don’t have the same curiosity lol

The mahonia doesn’t mind shade at all, they’re naturally an understory plant and can do well even in deep shade (of course Maximum flowers and fruit prefer more sun). Never heard of the roots causing damage to structures, i think it’s root system is pretty flat and fine, rather shallow. can’t see it getting thick enough to be a threat if you decide to just leave it there

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

reminds me of Monotropa uniflora

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

I'm happy I'm not the only person who just doesn't like hydrangea.

im not a huge fan of the puffball (Hydrangea arborescens) bc theyre pretty played out, but i loooove the native oakleaf (Hydrangea quercifolia), especially the ruby slippers cultivar. Spires instead of puffs, great transition from white to pink to red, then the slowly browning spires stay on for the rest of the season until you cut them off. And the fall colors of the leaves are very striking

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 17, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm still sorting through all my photos of the butterfly garden and trying to identify what I can, and I'll definitely post here for advice after. You all have already been super helpful, because the lists of good butterfly garden plants you gave me showed me what to look for. I've already been able to identify a lot of what's there!

For now, here's what it apparently looked like in 2014 when it was first planted and what it looks like now:

First priority is definitely going to be clearing more space for milkweed, which is there but has been pushed to the margins by spreading plants like cat mint and four-o-clocks. We have both common milkweed and swamp milkweed present, and there are some saved seeds in a shed somewhere too. Sounds like the best time to plant milkweed seeds is coming pretty soon.

I'm also definitely going to aggressively prune back those huge buttonbushes on either side (research says late winter for that). I can't believe they weren't even there six years ago.

Yeah holy poo poo what a nice huge area. There's so much that can happen, what a nice project to have. You could plant about whatever the hell you wanted in there lol. Looks like in the OG picture there was some cardinal flower, hope it survived!

Here's some native grasses that butterflies love:

Carex pensylvancia - this would be the primary foundation choice because it's a host plant for dozens of caterpillar species

Schizachyrium scoparium- another great foundational, host for lots of skipper butterflies

Muhlenbergia capillaris - pretty for humans and makes a great thick habitat for pollinators

Sorghastrum nutans- another selection primarily for nesting, but also identified as a very good pollen producer

Panicum virgatum- host for skippers, seeds will also attract birds in the fall

Looking forward to seeing how it comes along!

Petey posted:

I decided to move some pepper plants inside. There’s two (jalapeño and Trinidad perfume) that hadn’t really gotten there yet and I’m not gonna move the buckets inside, but I may try to grow smaller ones in pots. Would I be better served by taking cuttings and trying to root them, or by starting some new seeds?

I'd always rather clone from a nice plant than grow from seed given the choice. Some peppers can be difficult to propagate from cuttings but I feel like jalapeno is definitely easy mode, have no idea about the trinidad pepper

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Well it’s cloning from the genetics not the current state. if it’s a nice cultivar and was fine pre fertilizing I wouldn’t fret over it, especially if the cutting itself is healthy. Also, what’s the worst that could happen, the propagated plant dies and you’re back where you started from? I’d just go for it, the stakes are so low lol

Same deal with the seeds, just pop a couple in and see where fate takes you. No reason you can’t do both simultaneously and see which turns out better

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Looks like they’re going to seed to me

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

showbiz_liz posted:

First day of really working in the butterfly garden as opposed to just taking photos and exploring. We decided to start with the bed that's overflowing with four-o-clocks and has a few scattered milkweed plants. The four-o-clocks had spread so much that I didn't even know there were pavers edging the plot. Yanked out about four square feet of those, plus a bunch of violet root clumps that were hiding underneath, and a couple of young trees. Tomorrow we're going back to finish prepping the cleared part of the bed and then plant milkweed seeds (which we have a whole bucket of).

And of course this is one fraction of one bed out of many, many beds.

Have you found anything interesting/unexpected?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I'd be tempted to sign up, but I actually don't have much to divide right now besides a ton of purple iris and orange crocosmia bulbs which I'm not sure anybody would super want. I could get a big rear end packet of various seed together??

This might not be a problem next year; my plant buddy and I might go halfsies on a big rear end greenhouse to put in my backyard, that way we can overwinter plants better and would enable me to do some serious propagation and grafting (wife would NOT be down with me taking up more room in the house on plant poo poo). Would love to get something glass, around like 8x16 but drat these things are pricey. It's nice to shop around for these though, very exciting

In other news, picked up a cool plant the other day: stachyurus praecox. This has been a huge pain in the rear end to find, and I ended up getting "sterling silver," a nice cultivar with white edges on the leaves

This will ultimately become a nice big rear end bush with incredible winter flowers and nice fall color:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

There's a decent overview that gives some more information about cristate/monstrose succulents (and has a lot of cool pictures) someone posted on Dave's Garden years ago.

The fabled titty cactus :stare:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

I went around and took pictures of everything recently so that I know what is where in the spring and made notes on how things did/what needs to be moved next season/etc since there's no way I'll remember it all. I would encourage everyone else who lives where it gets cold to remember to do the same (also post some pictures, TIA).

daaamn that looks great man! such strong growth from the initial planting, a real nice mix of color and texture

Wallet posted:

This is rad—you have immaculate taste in shrubs.

hah thank you! i really just appreciate anything that has multi-season interest, bc im just too lazy to have one of those bulb gardens or something where youve gotta do actual research and planning for max blooms every season. im always looking for winter blooms in particular; the plant delights guy tony avent gave a talk one time that boiled down to "plant for a winter garden" and that really resonated with me, since that will ensure that youve got a good, full landscape throughout the entire year. that really informs my criteria for a good plant

Hirayuki posted:

Ho-lee poo poo. :stwoon: I have got to find a place for this in my yard.

theyre very rare in the trade, as they are a true bitch to propagate; i had originally found this plant back in May at Camellia Forest Nursery, but the dude wouldnt sell it to me until September as he wanted to make sure that it had successfully rooted. youll either have to find a particularly weird plant person near you (my preferred strategy) or go mail order

stachyurus is a great plant that will accept a variety of growing conditions, needs a good amount of either morning light or all day filtered sun. the one part im struggling with is that it likes a little protection from wind (several sites say its a great choice to plant beside a wall), but i think ive decided on a bed where itll be happy enough. it is kind of big at 12ft with similar spread, but you can prune it like an azalea, immediately cutting back growth after it flowers if you need to do a hard prune

unfortunately, ive read that deer also think its badass and so my endless jihad must continue

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Hirayuki posted:

I found two places that sold it, both in OR; I didn't get any leads on a nursery selling it here in MI. Further searching led to more mentions of the sole nursery that had it in stock (and agreement that it was hardy to zone 6), so I took the plunge. Very very excited. We have a blank spot against our rear fence where we took out a pine; this will be beautiful for us and for the people driving past! Thanks again for introducing us. :)

Excellent! Glad you were able to pick one up. it will be totally cool up against that fence, thats great protection from the freezing wind that would usually be the deal breaker for zone 6

Wallet posted:

I didn't put in many shrubs this year but next year I'm planning to start doing some planting along my fence line where I put in some trees this year so I'll be shrub shopping. I know I want to get a Corylus avellana 'Contorta' (Harry Lauder's Walking Stick) and probably a Heptacodium miconioides, which I guess are both actually small trees, but I'm not sure what else. I have a really hard time finding shrubs that have interesting foliage and can survive our winters, so if you have any clever ideas (I'm in zone 6a) I'm all ears. Everyone around here seems to just be planting Arborvitae and Buxus for that mall parking lot aesthetic :barf:.

lol the first thing that came to mind is a plant that I'm currently probably killing: Enkianthus campanulatus. It would be much happier in zone 6 than my hot as gently caress zone 7

flowers:

habit:

fall foliage:

daphne translatica would be a great addition too since they have much welcome winter blooms, but much like the stachyurus would need protection from the winter winds. the only issue with daphnes is that they are not long lived plants at all but at least have the decency to die quickly and decisively instead of lingering on

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

These have really nice foliage for an evergreen though it sounds like it's probably deciduous here (boo). 15 years seems like a decent run for a shrub.

haha that 15 years is pretty optimistic. daphnes known for being very temperamental plants that will just inexplicably and immediately die one day after years of living happily. ive heard to expect more like 4-5 years out of them, which to me is pretty acceptable, since theyre such a nice addition to the shade garden that you just resign yourself to buying another one down the road

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Got a pretty good haul from the JC Raulston Plant Giveaway on Saturday. Usually its a semi-coordinated free-for-all where you go and wrestle weird plants away from nice old ladies, but this year they just had people drive up and get a grab bag or two, depending on how many people are on your membership

Our score included:

Magnolia tripetala- umbrella magnolia
Hemerocallis "Mary Todd" - daylily
Kerria japonica "Fubuki NIshiki"- variegated Japanese kerria
Sempervivum "Neptune"- Chick Charms Silver Suede hen and chicks
Carex oshimensis "Everillo" - variegated Japanese sedge (x2)
Ilex integra "Ogon"- golden Nepal holly
Ficus carica "Jolly Tiger"- variegated tiger fig
Manettia cordifolia- firecracker vine
Pinus engelmannii- Apache pine

Very pleased with the umbrella magnolia, I've wanted one for a little while now but its either been out of stock or outrageously expensive. Most are in the ground now but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the fig, the firecracker vine, and particularly the pine. It has some of the largest needles of any pine, but it gets like 100 feet tall at maturity. I'm definitely going to plant it to continue my inadvertent "check out the giant fuckin leaves on this thing" theme, but siting will prove an issue with that kind of size

Hopefully deer will not gently caress with it if I have to stick it in the way back!! theyve already taken several leaves off of the stachyurus before I erected a cage around him yesterday

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That pine sounds neat. I've always figured that for some reason mountain west pines wouldn't do well in the SE, but it's worth a try! Are the needles even bigger than a longleaf pine?

You definitely need a bigleaf magnolia too, it seems.

Both trees are closely related, so the needles are pretty comparable in size, both maxing out around 16-18 inches. I like the branch structure of the Apache more so heres hoping it takes off

also, drat right, already have a bigleaf lol. Also two ashe magnolias in opposite beds in the backyard, so it'll look real wild out there one day. Up front we have a mature magnolia grandiflora and have put in both a star and jane last year that are doing well. so now that im up to seven total, ive either gotta dial back on the magnolias or ramp it up and get a weird collection going on

subpar anachronism posted:

I would recommend against a watering app, especially with the seasons changing. You're likely to end up overwatering everything.

fear not friend, im far too lazy and fickle to let some bullshit app order me around, but someone else might benefit from this advice lol

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

RickRogers posted:

I love tulip trees. Just a shame they grow so fast and big or I would recommend them to anyone.
Curious, how big are they in the wild where you are?

I know the name “tulip tree” can refer to several different trees, but if you’re talking about the liriodendron tulipifera they are absolutely massive in the wild here. There’s a couple in the woods behind me that just dominate the skyline, probably easily over 120-130 feet tall, towers over nearby mature white oak and sycamores. Looks like the record specimen is 191.8 ft tall

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah I’d vote for fatsia or an aucuba over anything else. That spot is dark as hell, a maple will struggle there until it eventually succumbs to some manner of rot. Rhododendron could probably hang, maybe never flower but it would fill the space

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Camellia’s are such a delight, can’t wait to expand my collection. I think I’m going to stick to species for now but with Camellia Forest down the road I really can’t help myself. This plantsman poo poo isn’t for the faint of heart or weak of wallet lol

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah this is great. I'm gonna dig through some varieties, but I like this more than anything else (viable) that I've seen so far. Thanks!

Good deal! They're dioecious, so if you pick up both a male and female cultivar, you'll get the fruit on the female

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Looks like I missed the party but good suggestions all around, especially the Cotinus Royal Smoke, which would have been my first suggestion

Here's some Gothic looking plants:

Fagus sylvatica "tortuosa purpurea"
Diervilla ×splendens 'El Madrigal' (Nightglow)
Not sure if it's viable where you live but here's a crepe myrtle with dark foliage and blood red flowers: Lagerstroemia 'Ebony Embers' (Black Diamond Red Hot)
Cercis canadensis 'Ruby Falls'
Berberis thunbergii 'Helmond Pillar'
Weigela "Date Night Tuxedo"
Eucomis comosa 'Sparkling Burgundy'
Helleborus x hybridus 'Dark and Handsome'
Ajuga "Black Scallop"
Astilbe 'Chocolate Shogun'
Hibiscus "Dark Mystery"

Let me know how these strike you, if they don't fit the bill I'm sure I can think of some others

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Hey Kaiser, check this camellia out, very unusual leaves: Sake cup camellia

I thought I was about to buy one during their plant sale, but it turns out the listing was an error smfh. Can't even find more information about it other than the pics on their website and what looks like a couple peer reviewed papers, I'm about to send them an email and get the scoop on how to get some cuttings or something lol

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Tremors posted:

Alright goons, I bought a house that has what I believe to be some sizable wisteria vines. While the flowers are pretty, I'd rather not have a massive bee magnet near the deck since my partner is allergic to stings. Are there any suggested herbicides or techniques to get rid of it? I hear I can be quite the beast to kill. I'm in zone 6a if that matters.

You’ll want to get some round up concentrate and then cut the vine as close to the ground as you can. Once you’ve done that, paint the exposed stump with the roundup. Do that for every stump that you can find, this will help kill the entirety of the roots. After winter, when some inevitably re-emerges, diligently spray all new foliage growth. Continue doing this for roughly a decade

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

After this thread's tumultuous journey through several forums and names, unsure sense of identity, and considering it has a permabanned OP, I think it thread would be an excellent candidate for trying out a megathread reboot. Does anyone have any interest in writing a new OP or maybe that is something we can do collaboratively? Is now the time to break out houseplants/succulents into their own thread, or do we like them being in this thread too? Thoughts on what this thread should be? General plant appreciation? Flowersonly.com? The Succulent Station?

The current thread would go to the Goodmine and so still be accessible for people without archives. If there are effortposts you've made itt, dig them up and we can link or quote those in the new thread to make them a little easier to find.

Like I said on our long walk in the desert during The Great Exile from DIY, this thread sits in a really nice place in terms of its topic scope. It's great to have lots of posters that have really solid generalist and specialized knowledge all posting in the same thread; I know that I've learned a great deal about subjects that I wouldn't have given a poo poo about otherwise, thanks to smart posters like Wallet on succulents, Platystemon on grafting and citrus, the ancient carnivorous plants posters, you on camellias, etc

It's cool to me that I basically came into the thread only caring to learn a little more about trees (and really not knowing much at all at the time) and now a couple years later feel like I have a pretty deep and broad breadth of knowledge on Plants. I'm not sure that would have happened if I had had to flit between a hypothetical flower thread, a tree thread, and literally never even bothering to click on a succulent/houseplant thread. I was happy to see it renamed to the horticulture thread, because to me that's by far the most accurate title that it could have and captures just how much diversity of nerdy plant knowledge is in one convenient place

And I'm cool with the reboot if everyone else wants to do it, though I've never totally seen the problem with giant old threads. But that's probs bc I've been posting in one about lunch in fyad for like a decade lol. That said, I'd be happy to write or help contribute to a collaborative OP if need be

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I'd be down to write the intro and the outdoor ornamental section. I think "trees" as their own topic would more or less get subsumed into this as well and probably don't need their own section, unless its about planting them correctly, in which case I think I've got a couple big posts somewhere in here about the special considerations around that.

Design is cool to talk about and it'd be interesting if someone is out there who actually does design who wants to post. My impression is that most of the regulars in this thread have a "plant it, let God sort them out" philosophy for outdoor stuff. I know that I'm super in that camp; we have our core foundation shrubs and trees to create a baseline and then everything else is pretty much randomly planted based on light requirements and space with a smattering of annuals randomly seeded around the blank spots

If there isn't somebody else, I'd be willing to write a little bit about some super general outdoor perennial design principles, basically "how to make a half-rear end English garden," since I have put some effort and research into making sure there's year round interest. For instance, this year I realized that my late summer bloom game is pretty weak (my garden looks like poo poo right now lol), so that's a goal for next year that I've started planning towards already

I could probs have something typed up between today and tomorrow depending on how crazy work gets and if the baby doesn't go rogue on me during my increasingly rare free time; I've been attempting to plant like 20 dinky Saxifraga stolonifera divisions for the past three days rofl

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

D-Pad posted:

There are not enough birds for this amount of berries lol. Our puppy wants to eat them so I can't wait anyway.

Haven’t had time to check the forums much lately but glad you got that China berry out, sucks that the puppy was so determined to eat those noxious berries. I guess nothing will stop a dog on a mission to eat something weird lol. Are you planning to replace it with anything or just leaving the space open?

Don’t have many recommendations for the lawn, the landscaping thread would probably be a better place to get that info. Now, if you want to turn some of that lawn into beds....

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Alright lads, it sounds like the frost has finally come to our beloved plant thread. But we will soon blossom into a new spring

I’ll post the OP after the weekend but I need bad rear end plant pics to put in there. I’ve got some of my own and other sources but I’d like to get more choice pics from thread regulars

Please post anything you’d be proud to share for the reboot and I’ll pop them in. Anything is cool, succulents, cacti, shrubs, trees, you name it; let’s make it pretty

I’ll see u on the other side... :toot:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
It also goes without saying that I know plenty great plant pics have been posted in here by much more powerful posters than myself, so just please don’t make me search for them

Edit: I know my man wallet has got some pics to contribute +callout+

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 12, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
alright im about to post the new one, if you see something in it that needs fixing or you think should be added let me know!! I'm sure that I'm going to have to gently caress around with the images more bc some are HUGE lol.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612

kaiser please feel free to give this thread over to posting valhalla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 15, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah I ran out of time this morning due to babby waking up with a bone to pick about life, but I’ll timg those things later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Quercus virginiana

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)