Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This has been mentioned already but just reiterating for emphasis since I literally hosed up last weekend:

Buy CMSF BY ITSELF! It and the USMC module are $25, plus $40 for UK and NATO.

$15 for the base, and $40 for the bundle, saving you :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's what I'd say. You CAN go for the older titles on GoG for a feel but honestly I can't go back to pre-Normandy. 1for1 unit scale is nice. Not to mention the advancements in the engine. Which, by the by, go ahead and shell out ten bucks for the 2.0 upgrade.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't know man, that bocage was kinda helpful...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's a little weird. It DOES run poorly sometimes, but it runs perfectly fine on my computer unless it's a city map (never play those anyway, they're terrible) or I go too low and look at the entire battlefield during a large engagement. Specs?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Are you running 2.0 and if so, how did it run before? Commonwealth?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
BfN and SF run pretty well on my system, but the FI demo blows them away. They did something nice behind the scenes because it's running better than any other CM ever has, at least in the limited scope of the demo.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I just figured they'd stay producing unoptimized models and then slap normal maps on them as well. Glad to know I was wrong. Here's hoping modders go back to CMBN and give us approximate quality units with lower poly counts and normal mapping.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also, is it just a computer adaptation of the tabletop or is it a grognard game from the ground up using the license? I think I'd personally prefer the former simply because it'd be a cheaper way to get into the hobby but still enjoy what everyone's raving about. But since it's GW we're talking about I'd bet it's the latter and those of us not willing to buy miniatures and compendiums can go gently caress ourselves.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't own SoW but would you PLEASE record the shenans for us to enjoy?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Those are terrible games. I assure you, I own half of them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Damnit. The first time a ridiculously hardcore simulation wargame thing has grabbed my attention and it's so expensive I want to write Matrix Games a letter that says "Go gently caress yourself!" and spit in the envelope.

This is stupid. Really stupid. Guess I'll buy it in a couple years then.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I bought Distant Worlds and its first two expansions on a Christmas sale when it was 3-for-a-little-over-1.5. Otherwise I was NEVER going to buy it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I just wish they'd listen to loving irrefutable proof after it's tarred and feathered on them. It's ridiculous and the fact that their business model loosely translates to, "Take the idiot first adopters' money and wait for the rest to give up hope," is a little insulting. It's not treating me like a customer so much as hostile bartering. I'm only hostile in return because the pricing is flat loving gouging, no two ways about it. Your loving metric is that people WILL buy it at that price, not what it should cost.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
People read the entire SimCity thread and STILL buy it...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have a hard time calling Men of War a "war game." It's more like a cooler, better version of Company of Heroes. Don't get me wrong, Steam still got Unity of Command, but they don't have much else in the way of grognard.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

What annoys me about the flare path is the fact that its 90% train/lorry/civ flight sims ,with grog games given a small paragraph at the end.

Hey man, Sid Meier's Ace Patrol was on it one day!

And I paid $4 for a loving fake strategy phone game on Steam...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Diet Lime posted:

Price gouging and DLC

I'm right there. I was on the side of "Fifteen bux for five maps!?" when CoD did it. I didn't buy BF3 until it was cheap and I will never buy the map pack for more than $5, if that. At a certain point there's a niceness of paying a developer for extra effort, but it seems (about to :tinfoil:) that they're holding back and then putting effort into extra revenue. $3 civs for Civ V? Not okay by me. $2 extraneous robes for Magicka? That's cool. But whatever, the rent is too drat high.

Tomn posted:

He actually had an interview with the Matrix Games guy, Iain McNeil where he gave him a few straight punches about pricing strategy and interface. Iain basically misinterpreted the question, went on a rant about unrelated/semi-related topics, and at one point mentioned how they were deliberately relying on cognitive dissonance in their pricing strategies.

Got a link handy? I'd love to read them make an rear end out of themselves.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah that's a great post and all by this "Tomn," but he's clearly a stupidface who doesn't know they have :pseudo: analytics and sales figures that show that if one person steals from a store everyone else has to dig into their pockets and pay $5 more.

God, to count the "I'd buy it but not at that price" posts I've seen here and on another forum, if it were just $50 they'd have so many more dollars now! Someone go post some bad math in that thread for a point!

Also, we should start an internet petition for as much as complaining and citing facts will loving do us. :suicide:

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 25, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh my God! We're in an abusive relationship! :stonk:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

smr posted:

Usenet Grog

That's the thing, YOU are who they are pandering to. You're not the problem or at fault, so this isn't meant to be aggressive, but they're selling the game to you and 7 dudes (argument number) willing to pay $80 who have been in a grognard usenet chat since its inception. That's 8 x $80 = $640. They COULD have a LARGE number of people buy it at $50, maybe even $60 (though that's still a bit high) and make a TON more, in addition to the guaranteed purchases you and your ilk represent. It's not like lowering the price is going to make you NOT buy it. The only thing it would possibly do is give them more purchases, and more money. We're talking about a potential loss of $30 (argument number) per copy for the sales that they don't sell to the mainstream crowd, but they're not going to buy it at $50, $80, or any number that isn't below their "I can afford to throw this money in the garbage" amount. Meanwhile, there's several of us who would willingly purchase the title if it were a more reasonable price.

I'm literally unable to see a monetary downside to them having a lower price, at least not one that tanks the company or forces layoffs.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Looks like we've got a fuckin' narc boys...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have a phone. I want Command, not WitE. Are there any good grog lite phone titles anyone would recommend?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, it'll stick around about a week and then poof. Just go to your past broadcast and click "save forever." Found the change the hard way when losing two full Vampire Bloodlines playthroughs I did for a friend.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does Command have/plan for MP? Sounds like it could be interesting unless it's just too much too fast.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Riso posted:

Because the app is made for tablets, but you can't really restrict it that way for Android?

I'm fairly certain the Google Play store can detect which device you're browsing it with and bar purchase/download. At least I think that happened to me once or twice on my phone for a tablet app.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Beating a dead horse, but Steam's weekly sales are now including the "professional commercial" tools and software they have. I've been tempted several times to get a DAW or other stuff I wouldn't terribly use to gently caress around with because they're on sale! These things cost hundreds of dollars and they're going on sale for $80 or so. I feel that this is the perfect allegory for niche software selling better at a more reasonable price!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
At what point in development do you loving think panning is best done with the wheel or that loving shift-wheel? Seriously, what loving idiot thought that up!?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Matrix Games scratch an itch that no other game dev really satisfies. But not everyone has the itch for the 1990s computerized board game experience.

I, for one, am absolutely fascinated by Command, and before that WITPAE and Harpoon; and I'm quite defensive about them.

I can see where the people who are defending WiF(?) are coming from.

Are you going to get it?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

blackmongoose posted:

I don't know about when it came out, but now there's the:

$100 Classic Game: http://www.a-d-g.com.au//cgi/product_details?pr_id=1
$200 Deluxe Game: http://www.a-d-g.com.au//cgi/product_details?pr_id=2

or the $500 Super Deluxe Package: http://www.a-d-g.com.au//cgi/product_details?pr_id=3

So really, Matrix definitely knew the market they were targeting with this: People who will pay 3 figure amounts for games that they will never play to completion

The super deluxe version has the most hilarious naming convention of 'X in flames.' EXPANSION in flames. THAILAND in flames. JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE in flames. YOUR WALLET in flames.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I wouldn't because hopefully a discount gives them a noticeable amount of sales to make them understand. I know it won't, I know they're too loving stupid to see a correlation, but what's Christmas without hope?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Dom 4 is out on Desura for really cheap, get that and ignore Matrix Dom3.

Get Distant Worlds if you like space 4X because it is hands down THE BEST space 4X there is.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Wait, is $35 "really cheap," or did I miss a sale?

Up until earlier this year Dom3 was $60 after being old. It dropped to $30 or so when it hit Desura and then jumped onto Steam. Dom 4 was a $25 beta buy-in and is now $35, stupidly cheap in comparison.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Grognard Games Megathread - if only this game had a friendlier interface and maybe even demos it could sustain a $150 price point

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Grognard Games Megathread - Why do you need two kidneys?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Riso posted:

I suggest, that if you dont have it, wait for the Unity of Command sale.

[on Steam]

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Morholt posted:

It might be a good idea to wait until 3rd December, if it becomes a featured sale it might drop even lower!

Grog games don't go on sale. You want the developer to starve and die? :colbert:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Let's call them 'early adopters' and then it's their own loving fault, just like people who bought a 3D TV.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They can have their cake and eat it too. CK2, even on Steam, has some oddities getting multiplayer running. It's fine, they'll have their lovely, antiquated everything with a nicer thing sandwiched around it.

Maybe it's because when they were using Steam they couldn't figure out how to do anything because they were looking for buried, hidden menu options when they're right up front.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Oh god I made the mistake of trying to explain simple economics to the grognards.

Did you try making analogies using hexes and oob's?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Baloogan has some of his edutainment streams of Command in here a couple pages back around launch if you'd like to see it in action. It'll convince you to buy it but it won't lower the lovely price any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Ha pricing error. Unity of Command and Red Turn are half off on their official site (unityofcommand.net) and not on Steam. Black Turn (released yesterday) was a buck off ($8.99) on both their site and Steam yesterday. However, due to a pricing error my friend noticed, it was briefly $3.99 on Steam. I got everything for less than $20 yesterday. Yaaay.

I found the post I had made about it this morning hadn't posted due to [/mobile] so that loving sucks. Sorry duders. :(