Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm looking to take the leap into War in the East, but I see War in the West is coming in December. Should I wait for West or will playing it make East seem crappier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Instead of getting WitE I picked up Command Ops and am very pleased with it. I'll still get WitE in the future, but for now I'm having fun watch an intelligent AI process orders. Does anyone know of a central location for scenario packs?

While at Panther Games website I notice this :

They don't say to who, or get into it much, but in the forums they mention better support and a "shinier" forum. Steam maybe?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

quote:

Example. in the next twelve months we plan to put out CO2.0 and CO2.1 as major updates to the engine. If you want to keep your data modules up to date with each engine update then you will pay $50 to update them to 2.0 and another $50 for 2.1 - ie a total of $100. We plan to put out the KOAD and Westwall data modules in the first half of next year at $30 each. Subject to when we finish the 2.1 engine update with mounted ops feature we plan to then release one maybe two east front modules. Let's assume we achieve that, then the most you would spend in the next twelve months would be $100 for updates plus $120 for new data modules. That's a total of $220. In effect you will have acquired five new data modules (Med, KOAD, Westwall East Front 1 and East Front 2). If we had sold each as a separate game then you would have paid something in the order of $250 and you would have not been able to play all your scenarios with the latest engine.

These people have the weirdest, groggiest, pricing structure ever. I enjoy CO1, but man, offering it like that is rear end backwards. The whole LNL transition looks to be a total trainwreck. Even Panther Games's "Buy Now" button links to Matrix, which says 'discontinued'.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Are there any recommended addons like for the WitE?

I found a really great map addon so far, but wasn't sure what else was worth getting. I've enjoyed the shorter scenarios, but man, there's so much to take in with the big ones.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

How can one put thousands of hours of code into a game and not make the barest efforts at a passable website? I swear almost every single grog website I go to looks like it is hosted on geocities with a site design done by a 1960's punch card database engineer.

I'd also be curious to hear more about that game. It looks interesting, but I don't want to torch my grog budget (again) on something that sucks. I'm holding out for Command Ops 2 right now. Still rather bummed that they pulled the expansion for the first one.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Are there any good mac grognard games? I just bought a macbook pro and am looking for something native to mac.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

Don't take the lack of artwork for the fighters as an always thing, it happens to me on my PC that runs it perfectly. It may also be a bug as I didn't do an update.

So, using the latest version of Winetricks I got it working perfectly. If you guys want I can upload the application sans the data files and you just need to run the installer.

EDIT: And no I can't, it's 1.3gb even after deleting stuff. It's really easy to do it yourself.

EDIT 2:

See, told you it wasn't an everytime thing.

Rock on! I'll definitely get WitE going on it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Oh hey, that's from my Lets Play. Glad to see someone read it!

You can find the rest of the Lets Play here : http://goo.gl/bjV7lH

Command Ops can get really messy when you start to micromanage. Your officers can usually do a decent job, but sometimes they get really stupid and are just plain stuck. Instead of trying to control individual companies just set sequential Attack / Move orders exactly where you want the Battalions to go. Leapfrogging up your supplies and artillery to Lommersweiler helps later on too.

I still have to install Command Ops 2. I was put off by the exceptionally Grogy pricing model.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

Anyone tried the new WeGo space game from Slitherine? I can't remember the name (something really dumb), but it looked like an interesting way to do space combat and is fairly reasonably priced - unfortunately I've been burned on buying grog games based on interesting surface appearances before, so I'm hesitant about getting it sight unseen.

Edit: The name is Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy, which is so bad it makes me nervous about the actual game quality.

I picked it up, only played a couple of missions. So far it looks interesting, you've got maneuver arcs that remind me of the X-Wing board game along with vertical movement. The missions have been "kill these guys" while showing me the basics of the controls. I'm hoping the battles get more interesting, I can see a lot of potential.

I was quite surprised when a hostile ship rammed into my main ship instead of getting blown up.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Can you guys recommend more books like this? I'm enjoying the game but am a dreadnought era retard.

My ships are horrible and terrible and most of the time I either run out of ammo, or am sunk. Though it's all strangely satisfying...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Man, playing RtW without having even looked at the manual is super bewildering.

Guess I should read the manual tomorrow.

I didn't find it terribly helpful. Clicking and right clicking on everything that looks different has worked best so far.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Beyond Command Ops (1 or 2) what else is worth playing at the platoon / company level?

I quiet enjoyed Command Ops #1, but man the interface is almost unusable on #2. Even for grog standards it's a pain with overlapping windows and no organzation.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Combat Mission is really, really good.

Excellent, I'll give it a go.

How does Graviteam Tactics compare? I recall one being extra lovely, but I don't recall which.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks.

I picked up Graviteam and had a hell of a time getting the graphics right. There's a bug with some NVIDIA cards that defaults the cache size to 1kb or some such number. All of my graphics were just black hexagons. But now that it's sorted I'll spend some more time learning it. The demo for combat mission has been pretty good too.

I think this'll scratch that lower level itch that War in the East can't.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

In an effort to understand WitE better I set out to write some tutorials. I've got a handful up now, curious as to your guys thoughts, and any other topics you think are worth covering.

War in the East Tutorials

I plan on covering supply basics, soft factors, air basics, and basic strategies. The goal isn't to make an expert, but to help people wade through the game bit by bit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

What sort of new Grog stuff is coming down the pipe? I don't see much for previews anywhere. HOI4 is the only big one I'm aware of.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.

There's a remake of Steel Panthers coming but literally no screens of it.

DC Barbarossa eh? I've seen some mods for the current one, but that sounds pretty cool. Someone was bantering about WitE V2.0, but I have no idea if it was bullshit, a wish, or a combination of both.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drone posted:

IIRC the plan is that now WitW is out, the Grigsby guys are gonna remake WitE, and then work on combining the two games into one general title.

Probably 6 years from now of course.

Man, how do you even remake a monster like that? I've heard good things about the WitW air battle mode, so I guess revamping the one in WitE would be nice. As it is right now I leave it alone.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Glad it helped. Getting the manual to be more visual really helped me put it together.

I'm digging through the air section right now, so far that's the most challenging. Things are happening in game that I can find no reference to, it's really odd as other parts of the game are very well documented. Or I just might not be in the proper section... :grog:

After that will be support units, I don't expect it to be too bad. Beyond that I think it's covered.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Speaking of Command Ops, has anyone tried Command Ops 2? I downloaded the core engine and I do believe the interface actually got worse. I'm not sure what changed from #1 to #2, it all looks the same to me.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Did another tutorial on War in the East, this one covers aircraft.

Aircraft Tutorial

The whole shift-right click and shift-left click threw me for a loop. It wasn't mentioned in the Air Mission section, but only in the Game Interface section.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It was a news portal for Matrix / Slitherine before correct?

Owen does a really great job with Pocket Tactics. I'll be looking forward to what he can do with wargamer.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

nessin posted:

Does anyone play the Command Ops games? I rarely (I don't think ever) see them mentioned at all here but I find it hard to believe they're not right up someones alley. I recently thought about them because I found my old copies of the originals before they switched to the Command Ops name and was wondering if it was worth picking up their latest.

I spent a lot of time playing the first one and really enjoyed it. There's a slow burn of anticipation that explodes into a "holy gently caress! There's a company of panthers in my supply depot!"

Watching units do as they drat well please is comical, realistic, and aggravating as your perfectly planned assault goes to piss because everyone is loving off. Realistic orders is painful to play. I'll schedule attacks, way early, have great routing, artillery support, the works. And for some god awful reason my M4's just chill out while everyone else is slaughtered.

Once it went to Command Ops 2 and then to Lock n Load, the publishing model got weird. So the base game is free, with three missions, but you pay for the packs. Each pack is ~$30, or you can buy a 5 pack for $99. But it fills a unique niche and is most definitely grog grog.

The layout got worse in CO2, the windows aren't fixed, they just kind of pop up, but you can't drag them out of the way. So instead of organizing and resizing so you can see what's going you have to open, and close, a half dozen windows. I don't know what other changes there are really, it feels like the same game. I think they re-published same game, new name, in order to break free of Matrix.

And I just noticed it's not working on Windows 10... I'll have to poke at it and see if I can get it to work.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Is Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm really hard, or am I worse than I think I am?

I continually get poo poo stomped by the Soviet armor, then the HIND's come in and they crush my dick with a brick.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I keep playing the scenario A Time to Dance and I just can't see how I could possibly hold the objectives. At the bare minimum I could run a holding action, but there's no way I can secure the bridges in Bad Neustadt up to Heustreu.

It is pretty enjoyable though. Watching that clock tick while my orders go to poo poo is quite a bit of fun.

quote:

You should be aware that the Inspectorate considers your performance, on balance, to be disasterous.

* Your heroic death in battle saddens us all.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

It is really hard. Practically all the armor you face are top of the line Soviet models, not hordes of T-55s and T-72s. Just endless swarms of T-80s and T-64s. You can safely ignore the VP objectives as NATO, since those are mostly to give the Soviets points. Soviets gain points by taking territory, NATO gets points by destroying Soviet tanks. Get into good defensive positions, bleed them white and then try to fall back in something approaching good order.

Hinds in this game share no characteristics with the real world models. In the real world, the Hind is an attack helicopter. In the game, HIND refers to a demon summoned by black Russian folk magic from the deepest pits of hell and bound to the metal frame of a helicopter. It knows neither fear nor mercy and is consumed by an everlasting rage that can only be quenched by killing capitalists. Its defenses wrought from captured Nazi science make it nearly impervious to air defense systems, to the point where the standard Hind tactic for dealing with enemy air defense is to just fly over and shoot it.

Hinds can not be stopped, they can only be endured.

Perfect description! By the way they seem to gravitate to my AA, that must be true.

Now that you mention the VP's I see the red stars and the blue star. I assume I take no VP for holding the red ones? Whoops.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Regarding political stuff in DC : Barbarossa. I'd commented on how much more fun it is when your subordinates go and gently caress off to do their own thing in some games. He responded with this.

Cameron Harris posted:

Subordinates do indeed present obstacles within the game.

They don’t deliberately disobey orders but they will obstruct and obfuscate if your relationship with them is poor. The worse your relations are with your three Theatre Commanders, the more effort (PP) you have to put into making them do something.

Command friction is present and can see the Armies, and Panzergruppes, under each of your Theatre Commanders, gaining movement bonuses and penalties dependent, once again, on your relationship levels.

Additionally they’ll find ways of NOT providing Command Focus (gives advantages) to one of those new fangled Panzergruppes if you aren’t on speaking terms.

It goes both ways though. As the German Operational Commander you are subject to interference from above from both your immediate boss and Hitler. The degree and frequency of this depends on your relationships and the overall strategy you have chosen.

Stalin is a little different.

If you’ve got subordinate troubles you can, if you wish, have Commissar Khruschev pay them a visit. Problem resolution in the Red Army in ’41 was of a terminal nature.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Goon advice is best advice.

I managed to get a marginal victory in Flashpoint's A Time to Dance scenario.

There's a few things I could have done differently, looking forward to trying that out. But I can't help feel that there's a whole ton of map that's not doing anything. For some reason the Soviet artillery never fired on me, I didn't even know it was there until the end of the game.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Why doesn't WitE get cool pseudo-animations like that?

(Just so I can turn them off 30 seconds after watching it)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This guy would love it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Graviteam Tactics + All the DLC for $7.50. And I just bought Combat Mission Normandy last night...

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/graviteam-tactics-bundle

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Goetta posted:

Thanks for this, been meaning to check this series out. Any suggestions on the best version to start with?

I had one of the versions before and I'm really bad at it. The interface is kinda clunky so I just winged it and well, got stomped.

I'd just pick a theatre you're interested in and go to town.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Has anyone seen a good combat guide for DC:Barbarossa?

My armies don't seem to be making progress like it feels they should be.

Also, is it possible to just play the decision side of things and leave the divisional movement to the AI?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Opening procedure maybe? The first few rounds to see how to encirclements go.

How many infantry divisions do I punch with?

I guess I'm used to WitE in this regard. It's taking a bit of getting used to.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Might as well jump on the bandwagon and try and keep up with Grey.

That map just looks too beautiful not to play.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dude on another grog forum linked a WitP looking game from Japan. Looks like they've been making grog games since the early 90's.

I randomly clicked on a bunch of links and found some cool looking stuff.

http://www.general-support.co.jp/

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Another War In The East question:

So since I have no control over production (why can't you allow me to be able to prioritize not crappy equipment) what is the point of capturing factories or strategic bombing?

Is this just a victory point thing?

On a side note, and I've probably said it before, it's really annoying to me when games model strategic bombing and make the only game effect "points" you score at the end.

When you capture a factory you prevent the Soviets, or Germans, from producing said crappy equipment. Capture the proper factory and you'll even prevent them from making essential tanks. Now the Soviets will likely move the factories east, so the Germans have to really strive to nail a city before it's out.

I've found the strategic bombing to be fairly useless in WitE.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've felt the same way. I tried to do some alternate starts like Stalin's original defensive plan, or one of the earlier invasion plans, but the scenario creator didn't seem to be able to handle it. As far as other scenarios, I haven't found much either.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

An airbase has to be on clear, light forest, or urban hexes for the aircraft to be able to operate from them.

It's as simple as literally moving the air base chit to wherever you need it to be. The key thing is that moving an airbase causes any and all airplanes in the base to accrue "miles flown", and certain missions can only be done if that number is still at 0, so moving your airbases is generally one of the last things you want to do in a turn.

Few things are as frustrating as wondering why you can't drop fuel to your panzer divisions only to realize you moved the airfield.

I think you may be able to drop more fuel if an airbase is with a division as well, but I'm not 100% sure. (and in a clear, light forest, or urban hex) There might be a supply range requirement too, I think it's no more than 5 hexes from the railhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Man, I wish Heroes of Normandie would go on sale. At $30 I requested a Steam refund because was really just too lacking as a game (felt more like a puzzle than anything). But if it were $14 or so I would pick it up no problem.

Huh, I just realized that makes me sound like an incredible miser.

I felt the same way. Though by the time I'd actually gotten to play it it was too late to return it.

:saddowns: