Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

That's gotta be real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

CaptainYesterday posted:

As I stated in the OP, any 'leak' is almost definitely fake. I'm not going to trust any source unless Daft Punk and/or Columbia Records puts it on their respective pages.

This might be like the fourth leak in Daft history. Discovery demos leaked, HAA leaked, this unfinished but legit track leaked, and I think tour dates for the 07 tour leaked a bit before they were officially announced. Beyond that the OP is completely correct.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I don't actually know myself, I just recall that in the history of Daft Leaks some tracks from Discovery were among them. I can't find anything googling (the album came out in 2001, remember) but if I remember correctly they were very close to the album versions?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

the black husserl posted:

This is correct. Pharell is a known consumer of liquids in cups and surely PharellBot is no different.

No, it's cups. Pharell a drinker, taydoe off molly water.

I hate being robot / we can't spell "robot"

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

If someone could do his vocals through a vocoder it would be realllly next level

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Doctor Claw posted:

I think it's really funny that someone called the comedy of everybody hating on yesterday's leak saying it was "so bad it couldn't be Daft Punk." Now they either have to hate the album they've been hyped on for months, or they have to eat their words. "That outro synth is so generic - they'd definitely use analog if it was them." "No way the guy in the verses is Pharrell - he has a different accent." All of these people get a Gold Award in music production knowledge. The end of the discussion should have been the fact that Pharrell's vocals were solo'd over the handclaps - there is no possible way to do that without access to the track.

Actually if you had the original loop and then the original loop with Pharell's vocals you could use phase inversion to get a DIY acapella, that's pretty common and not difficult to do if you have the right files. I'm not sure if that happened here but it wouldn't be impossible.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

We can dream about big room electro house dying out in favor of live disco but I have a feeling the kids are not going to want to rage to this album

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

This is good.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Also, they're Animal Collective

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Can anyone confirm that this album is the real version? I haven't heard any drops thus far (on track 5 already) so I'm wondering if this might be fake

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Haha this Pitchfork cover story is pretty crazy. I don't think they do cover stories like this without giving Best New Music (or at least a high score), and we know they heard this album months ago so it's not like it's a surprise to them. I'm still thinking they'll rate it pretty highly.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I donno, at least from Daft Punk's point of view it's right. They got famous making house loops on Bangalter's dad's expensive recording gear, before DAWs and such were really prevalent. In 2013 any kid with a laptop and a cracked copy of Ableton can make music like that. I'm not sure if this was their intent but it would be kind of funny to react to that by spending a ton of money on studio musicians, like saying "good luck doing this with your laptops, kids."

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

It will be kind of funny when the kids with laptops who inspired them to use real instruments turn around and make groovy house remixes of this whole album and turn it into the thing everyone actually wanted to hear in the first place

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I don't want to speak for Dadjacket, but my interpretation was "Daft Punk fans are incredibly vocal, myopic and annoying".

Ehh, people are excited about an album they've been anticipating for a long time. Ask again in a month or two and you'll get answers that aren't "best album in the history of recorded music" or "straight up garbage"

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

ManoliIsFat posted:

But highly anticipated, years-in-the-making, legendary group albums get heightened scrutiny.

Also, DP kind of invited this themselves with the somewhat ridiculous collaborators series. It was interesting to see those people talk about working on music but they were definitely promotional in nature, and when you deliberately try to build that much hype for something it can sometimes work against you.

Also the Avalanches record is never coming out

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Haha I love that quote about the Stardust track, like they got out of the studio and realized it was the best French house track ever and abandoned the project immediately

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

plogo posted:

I made a post in the rec's thread about some of daft punk's influences that has might find useful as well, Loving Life Partner. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3056853&pagenumber=171#post415471873

Great post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Popcorn posted:

At the end of Gorgio by Moroder the synth noise detunes until it's basically a regular kick drum sound. I was ready for that to form the basis for the next song but no. Segue denied.

Yeah that was super jarring to me too. The album does flow very strangely, at least in CD form.

• Locked thread