Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

iTunes version is good enough, but if you really dig the album, hunt down a way to rip the vinyl. You'll thank yourself.

why would you want to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:lol: Jesus Christ that's him on "Take my breath away" too. By this weekend I'm going to find out everything I heard from age 0 to 8 was a Giorgio Moroder track.

Wow, this guy was a monster force in the 80s, why have I never heard of him?!? This is just stuff he wrote and composed, not even counting producer and featuring credits:

Back in Love Again (Donna Summer) [He also wrote a ton of other songs for her]
Call Me (Blondie)
Danger Zone (Kenny Loggins)
Take My Breath Away (Berlin) [As mentioned]
The NeverEnding Story (Main Theme)
Push It to the Limit (Scarface Soundtrack)
Flashdance... What a Feeling (Irene Cara) [He wrote the love theme from Flashdance too]

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Not sure if you guys knew this or not but Moroder is kind of a big deal

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When you've got the guy who wrote Danger Zone and the guy who wrote Rainbow Connection on the same album as the robots behind One More Time, you know you're in for a treat :3:

a goofy fag posted:

why would you want to do this

Read the last couple pages!

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:lol: Jesus Christ that's him on "Take my breath away" too. By this weekend I'm going to find out everything I heard from age 0 to 8 was a Giorgio Moroder track.

OR produced by Nile Rodgers.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Whoa how have people never heard of Moroder?

Scarface soundtrack, dudes. He produced Bowie's Cat People too.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm assuming it's because we're culturally backwards Americans.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

thathonkey posted:

One other weird thing... The chord progression/key (sorry not a music major) on Within and Instant Crush sound extremely similar to me... It almost had to be intentional to put them adjacent one another yet there is a long fade out and several moments of silence in between the two songs. It would have made a pretty awesome segue.

Chilly's collaborator video said something about establishing musical through-lines within the album (of course it did), so that might be related to that.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Shovelbearer posted:

Chilly's collaborator video said something about establishing musical through-lines within the album (of course it did), so that might be related to that.

Yeah, there are some other moments like that... One that comes to mind is in the middle of "Touch" iirc there is a little bit that mimics the chords of "get lucky" and those songs are also set side by side. Thats actually pretty cool but I still cant stand listening to Touch.

edit: it is around 3:25 mark on Touch

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 22, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Hasters posted:

I'm assuming it's because we're culturally backwards Americans.

And relatively young. Both Giorgio and Rodgers have always been in that rarified "touched EVERYTHING" league where I knew they were all over the place and I knew a few big songs but I'm just now realizing exactly where else they intersected with me.

Looking at how the tracks split for sides of the vinyl makes the tracklist seem less weird too.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ya'll should throw on todd edwards bbc essential mix, he put a house beat behind instant crush and it instantly turned into a major jam

I was a pretty big fan of Instant Crush upon first listen...but now with this mix...wow..I'm in love. I can't wait for more remixes of this album. I see soo much potential.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Looking at how the tracks split for sides of the vinyl makes the tracklist seem less weird too.

Exactly this, every side of the record ends beautifully. I think it was in the pitchfork article that they played around with the idea of releasing the CD with only 4 tracks on it.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah, what the hell. In a thread full of Daft Punk aficionados nonetheless.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Forgive me disco Gods, for I know not what I do

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And relatively young. Both Giorgio and Rodgers have always been in that rarified "touched EVERYTHING" league where I knew they were all over the place and I knew a few big songs but I'm just now realizing exactly where else they intersected with me.

I had that realization when watching the Rodgers collaborators video. I was aware of some of the stuff, but looking at his production credits and seeing how it ran along with what I liked even as a child it all made sense.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rocco posted:

So is it just me that thinks these are the two best songs on the album, then?

I love both songs with Giorgio just edging it out. I love in Giorgio when he starts talking and the funky disco starts to play and then it cuts into the click and synthesizer and its pretty loving rad. The breakdown torwards the end is loving amazing, good rear end song.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

thathonkey posted:

One other weird thing... The chord progression/key (sorry not a music major) on Within and Instant Crush sound extremely similar to me... It almost had to be intentional to put them adjacent one another yet there is a long fade out and several moments of silence in between the two songs. It would have made a pretty awesome segue.

At the end of Gorgio by Moroder the synth noise detunes until it's basically a regular kick drum sound. I was ready for that to form the basis for the next song but no. Segue denied.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
But it's surely already the basis for countless segues in DJ sets right now.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Popcorn posted:

At the end of Gorgio by Moroder the synth noise detunes until it's basically a regular kick drum sound. I was ready for that to form the basis for the next song but no. Segue denied.

Yeah that was super jarring to me too. The album does flow very strangely, at least in CD form.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

an skeleton posted:

I like Contact now, but I kind of agree. Especially at first when I was, from the early listening party descriptions, under the impression that they included a more traditional house-style banger at the end of the album. Turns out it's just this build up into... nothing.

Slap Human After All on right after it. :mmmhmm:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
When kids getting into Daft Punk 30 years from now realise that RAM isn't the one named Human After All they're going to be really confused.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I really like Human After All. :( It's pretty ugly sounding to the point of being repulsive, but there's nothing else that hits that certain spot in my diseased brain than those squelchy bass notes in Primetime or the humming in the title track. Or the singing in any track.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 23, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Mutation posted:

I really like Human After All. :( It's pretty ugly sounding to the point of being repulsive, but there's nothing else that hits that certain spot in my diseased brain than those squelchy bass notes in Primetime or the humming in the title track. Or the singing in any track.

Yeah. Something about it is so crunchy and visceral. I'm not even sure if those are the right words but they feel right. It's like the robots on meth.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

That Todd Edwards remix of Instant Crush is so damned awesome. I love instant crush. :3

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Popcorn posted:

When kids getting into Daft Punk 30 years from now realise that RAM isn't the one named Human After All they're going to be really confused.

Haha this is a great point. I also agree re: the Giorgio by Moroder segue. I honestly think that is the most disappointing aspect of the album for me (i.e., I love the album).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dj bobby bieber posted:

Not sure if you guys knew this or not but Moroder is kind of a big deal

He even did the Coast to Coast AM opening theme!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Touch has really grown on me, and part of it is trying to understand why its such a weird disjointed song and loving it inspite of that.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Mutation posted:

I don't really get all of the hate for Human After All. I'd say it's a lot less repetitive than some of the songs on Homework were.

My only complaint is that I think the last few tracks are pretty weak. Everything up through The Brainwasher rules.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Everyone has their opinion, but man is this a great album. Just for music I get that it's not what Daft Punk is known for or anything, but the whole idea behind it and the overall progression of the album are what I love in an album. I love it being an eclectic journey, I like the shifts in mood.

I can understand wanting to hear one sound at one time, but this album is much more interesting than that. I get that it's not making groundbreaking sounds, but as an album and concept, it's cool and entertaining throughout.

This is my view.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
I read a load of reviews before I ended up hearing the album and was expecting Contact to be a lot more brutally noisy than it was. It seemed to confuse a lot of reviewers but I reckon it's completely on the theme of the album, and it's a PERFECT way to end it.

From interviews we know the whole album is this rebellion against "laptop music" on the one hand, and a step away from Daft Punk's old methods of production on the other. So here at the end you've got the one track that goes back to being built off a sample from another track, but instead of being 4 minutes of filter-funk it develops into that glitchy overloaded crescendo. It's like the robots trying to make a standard "Daft Punk" track after experiencing live music and frying their circuits in the process. No idea if that's what they were going for, mind, but I can't read it any other way.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
If anything, I am so happy that this album introduced me to Giorgio Moroder. I can't believe I had no idea who this guy was before. The DJ set of his someone posted a few pages up is incredible.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
If you guys are really liking Giorgio Moroder it might be worth checking out his contemporary Vangelis. Vangelis was more ambient music oriented but was equally excellent.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Mutation posted:

I'm not a big Daft Punk fan, but Human After All is by far my favourite album by them. It just makes me want to, I dunno, get in a fight, drive down the autobahn at 300kph, start a riot, shotgun beer, and so on. Lots of energy that makes you want to go crazy and get nuts.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The songs that Moroder did for NeverEnding Story are some of my favorite movie tunes ever. Ivory Tower is so awesome, especially once the guitar kicks in.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

stratdax posted:

I'm not a big Daft Punk fan, but Human After All is by far my favourite album by them. It just makes me want to, I dunno, get in a fight, drive down the autobahn at 300kph, start a riot, shotgun beer, and so on. Lots of energy that makes you want to go crazy and get nuts.

I can agree with the last sentence.

Also posting to confirm that this album is pretty sweet in the whip 8)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I was going to post that this album largely wasn't what I was looking for in a Daft Punk album -- maybe I'd have accepted it easier if it were billed as a side project given how prominent the guest artists are? On first playthrough I liked the opening portion of "Give Life Back to Music," "Giorgio by Moroder" when the music really kicked in, "Instant Crush," "Get Lucky," and "Contact," and felt kind of flat about the rest.

... and while I had this window open and a few sentences down, I started the album back up, and for some reason the second playthrough is loads better. The songs I'd instantly liked are even better, and the other tracks are really appealing to me too. (I still really don't care as much Paul Williams' voice, and would like the track a hell of a lot more with a different vocalist.) I still can't get into "Fragments of Time." Some of my favorite tracks are on Human After All, though, so I think I might just like ugly Daft Punk best.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I was going to post that this album largely wasn't what I was looking for in a Daft Punk album -- maybe I'd have accepted it easier if it were billed as a side project given how prominent the guest artists are? On first playthrough I liked the opening portion of "Give Life Back to Music," "Giorgio by Moroder" when the music really kicked in, "Instant Crush," "Get Lucky," and "Contact," and felt kind of flat about the rest.

... and while I had this window open and a few sentences down, I started the album back up, and for some reason the second playthrough is loads better. The songs I'd instantly liked are even better, and the other tracks are really appealing to me too. (I still really don't care as much Paul Williams' voice, and would like the track a hell of a lot more with a different vocalist.) I still can't get into "Fragments of Time." Some of my favorite tracks are on Human After All, though, so I think I might just like ugly Daft Punk best.

Fragments of time was one of the last songs to grow on me. The only song I don't like really is Touch, and that's because DP is just asking too much of me to invest, as a listener, in that song. I still like it but I dislike the fact that I cannot just throw it on and jam like the rest of the songs. I suggest you listen to Beyond and Game of Love again, though, because those songs are awesome.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Fragments of Time, to me, is the song that most delivers on the promise that this album was going to sound like Rumors.

Imagine Lindsey Buckingham singing that song. It sounds like a lost 70s Fleetwood Mac song where they decided to experiment a little with synths.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
"Touch," for whatever reason, feels like a song that should be somewhere in the middle of The Wall. I can just hear Pink singing it around "One of my Turns" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HauntedRobot posted:

It's like the robots trying to make a standard "Daft Punk" track after experiencing live music and frying their circuits in the process. No idea if that's what they were going for, mind, but I can't read it any other way.

The last time the robots tried to be human they ended up just imitating the surface features. They pretended to be rock stars in Robot Rock, their two man band clearly unable to play the entire song on just a guitar and drum kit, but rocking along anyways the way rock stars always do. They blindly followed the instructions of the animatronic puppet that instructed them how to use a computer without bothering to mention any of the reasons why they would want to use one. Both the film Electroma (which began as the music video for Human After All) and the video for The Prime Time of Your Life feature someone upset with their life, appearance, and the people around them removing their skin (be it flesh or metal) to get at what's underneath, and the results horrify them. Both of those videos end with the protagonists committing suicide.

Because it's not the surface that matters or even what's inside, be it muscles or skeletons or circuit boards. It's what's in the the mind, in the soul. It's the sum of your personality and memories and life that make someone human or not. In a world full of surface imitations, a vinyl mask isn't enough to make yourself truly unique. In a world that demands you look the same and act the same, or keep producing what you are expected to produce, do what you actually want to do. And if you want to make music, make your music.

"Let the music of your life give life back to music."

After the staggering dark bleakness of Human After All, Random Access Memories is a breath of fresh air. They're both good, but for very different reasons.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 23, 2013

• Locked thread