Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Instant Crush is one of the best tracks I've heard in years. If you can listen to it and not lose your poo poo at 1:30 I'd love to know how.

It's such a well executed song, the second chorus break is exactly 2 mins after the first. Casablancas' vocals are great here, so much more refreshing than anything else he's put out in quite a while.

I love the whole album, I'm not a "music snob" by anyone's definition but this album has very quickly grown on me. I found one thing that helped tremendously was to listen to it on headphones significantly louder than I normally listen to things.

Seriously my musical analysis is generally "i can shake my butt to this" or "i like this" but I'm loving in love with this album, and I'd probably be a bandwagon Discovery/Alive2007 DP fan at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The Todd Edwards mix is fantastic, and I'd love to pay my heard earned dollar for it as a single.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where can I hear this Todd Edwards mix of Instant Crush y'all are talking about? I searched YouTube for it like yesterday or the day before when it was brought up in this thread and I couldn't find it.

https://soundcloud.com/everybodywantstobethedj/todd-edwards-essential-mix Around 6ish min.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I haven't heard an Instant Crush remix that's better than the original, except the original one from the BBC set. They're all really boring or repetitive.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I like that Touch leads into Get Lucky. It ends with them looking for more, and they find it in some sweet funk.

It's not a concept album, but there is a more or less thematic element running through.

Touch is also a direct response to Instant Crush, which talks about unlocking a door, and Touch of course contains "A room within a room, a door behind a door."

There's sort of a general theme of the robot tasting humanity and wanting more/becoming human, and Touch is the centerpiece of that.

I really like Touch as a place to jump into the album (it starts side 2 of the vinyl) or as a piece of the whole, even if I never choose to listen to it by itself as a single.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I got the opportunity to take shrooms and listen to this album on really good headphones. It was a solid time, I highly recommend it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Instant Crush remains the best track on the album but I still haven't heard a really good remix, or even one I prefer to the original.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0elg9WVytMs

This is an OK Doin it Right remix, if a bit uninspired. It's pretty fun and I'd probably dance to it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Rocco posted:

Okay I blasted them a minute ago but this is kind of a stretch to say about two guys in costumes who say nothing

I think the whole Colbert affair (which really may have been more on his end) with an appearance at the VMAs (a very commercial and non-electronic event) which turned out to just be a loving commercial/promo video for the new song can leave a very "commercial" taste in someone's mouth.

I'm no big long time crazy fan, but Daft Punk always seemed to do their own thing and have enough cache as artists to not let the label lead them around by the strings/buy into the MTV stunts.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I really dislike RAM. It's a total departure from the originality and electronica influence that I expect from Daft Punk.

I'm sorry the band didn't just churn out more of the same. It's not a flawless album, but they made no promises that it would be that, and told you very early on that it wasn't an electronica album. It seems like you want Daft Punk 4: Ghosts or something.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Why wouldn't Pharrell just accept it? He's the lead singer of Daft Punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

What else good has even come out since then?

Weird Al

• Locked thread