Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've had my Pebble for over a week now and I gotta say, I love it. I can go into great detail on why, but the short version is that it means I don't have to look at my phone.

I had to spend too much time looking for good faces/apps for it, so here's what I've found.

Faces

91 Dub you can get through the Pebble app and you should. I stick with it 95% of the time.

LCARS v1. I'm not a big trekkie but it's functional and it's nice to use something with animation once in a while.

Ninety_hank (German). An inverted 91 Dub, but with moon phase, German day names, sunrise and sunset, and an additional time zone. I wish it weren't white on black because it is harder to read.

Apps/Games

Pebloid. Arkanoid clone on your wrist. Works great.

Pebblis. Tetris clone on your wrist. Again, works really well.

Timer. There are a few timer apps, this is just the one I use, no problems or complaints. Really a necessary addition.

Rolling Pebble. Simple but well-executed dice rolling program.

There's a lot of crap out there, especially now that basic watch face generators are online, but I'm impressed with the quality of some of the development. Considering how young the platform is, I'm looking forward to what devs can do with a mature SDK.

e: I forgot Musical Metronome. It's a little odd using a pulse on your wrist to keep time but it does the job. Nice for practicing singing/rapping on a beat, even works practicing guitar. Pro tip: Turn it so it vibrates against the inside of your wrist.

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really like the nato watch straps. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my Pebble.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fatal posted:

I've got a 360 and a pebble, the 360 requires *almost* daily charging but the effort is so minimal, I take it off my wrist and set it in its stand (it acts as a night clock as well). Compared to the pebble which requires me to take it off my wrist, find that little cord, orient it and make sure it clicks in. Not to mention it's not a daily thing so it's actually easier to forget to charge it.

I don't know how you can try to make charging the Pebble seem like work. I take it off every night, like I'd generally recommend when wearing a watch. Once a week I tap the magnetic cord against it and forget about it for a few hours. I guess it is so easy, it's easy to miss occasionally - like, normally I charge it every Saturday morning. I was really busy this weekend and forgot until after work Monday. Never died.

Augmented Dickey posted:

I got one yesterday and am loving it so far. Do I need a screen protector?

Also, what is the best pedometer app? I tried Misfit but it was counting steps while I was driving to work this morning.

Get a screen protector if you don't want scratches on the plastic face. I've worn mine daily without one for 1.5 years through every kind of activity and the light scuffs and scratches never bother me - it seems pretty resistant. Only a few actually stand out in the light. I'm still waiting for a good pedometer, my fingers are crossed that it's around the corner after this recent OS update.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Swiss
Pebblets
TrekV2
Magic Watch (8-Ball simulator - ask a question and shake your wrist)
Classic
Maurice (my all day, every day)
PebbleTasker

And an empty spot.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

I must be the only one who takes mine off at night.

I take mine off and turn it off every night. For me it's an essential habit, since the only reason someone would call me in the night is to wake me for an emergency, and my phone is silenced while my pebble is connected. (Sucks that it requires an extra app to handle the auto-silencing but nbd, it's worked really well.)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ChiTownEddie posted:

Picked one up. Pretty nifty so far. Any recommended apps/faces?

Pebblets is a great little utility suite.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

I updated my Pebble Classic to the Time firmware and have been very happy and the improved auto-reconnect compared to before where the thing constantly lied to me and said it was still connected in the Android notification area, when clearly the phone had lost connection. Clicking the notification would open the app where it would be stuck on "Connecting...". So that's been much better and the UI improvements are nice, even if it feels like my battery life is just slightly worse now, maybe.

Also updated my Classic maybe two weeks ago and agreed with you on all points. Have not had the 200 buzz bug, thankfully, though sometimes when I'm deleting unread mail newest-to-oldest it causes a quick succession of buzzes, notifications for old messages coming to the top of the pile I guess. I haven't used the weather glance thing enough to comment on it.

Right now it's on my to do list to go through the settings for Podcast Addict and see if I can stop it sending a notification every time I pause it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've worn my og ks pebble almost every day since I got it just over three years ago, don't mind being the weird dude in the thread who's surprised and excited it's getting a non-Time sequel. I really prefer the b&w screen and overall shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bobalbmi posted:

I got a Pebble Time Round and I have no hope that there will be any new apps developed for the thing as it's obvious that they've moved on.

Apparently they haven't totally forgotten about the round, they just added gold & silver "special editions" to their kickstarter. I think they look good.

• Locked thread