Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yeah on mine, I updated and it gave me a Getting Started screen I didn't know how to skip (yet). Because I got partway through it before telling it to gently caress off with Gmail notifications that I definitely didn't want on the phone, it lost my pairing and I had to re-sync it. Luckily the watchfaces I already had on there still showed up OK in the app and things are hunky dory now. I'm hoping to new updates are better at reconnecting the loving watch to the phone -- it was frustrating to see I had missed texts on my phone but nothing happened on my Pebble, despite seeing "Pebble is connected" in the phone's status bar.

I've played some with Pebble Canvas to make my own custom face with dynamically updating text (including missed SMS count, missed call count, and phone battery %), but if the watch loses connection, it doesn't seem to reliably time out and at least display the things it does know regardless of connection (date/time). Yet occasionally I will see it without a connection (presumably), and only the date/time show up, whereas the dynamic text from the phone is blanked out. So I don't know how it gets into that state vs. the all-blank face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

PlesantDilemma posted:

So the other day I installed the Glance for Pebble app and it's pretty awesome. It's pretty much all the stuff that should have been there native to the pebble. Now I can see calendar entries, send pre-config txt messages, and see my pebbles battery percentage. If y'all don't have it you should get it.

Yeah, I tried to screw around with making my own Pebble Canvas watchface for a few months to do what Glance basically does out of the box. Once I got Glance 2 or 3 months back, I stopped using the Canvas face and I have what I want in once glance (gasp!) of the watch using its "SmartWatch" setting: Large time & date, little phone battery % in upper right, current weather below the date, and then unread SMS, missed calls, and unread GMail. And then I can look at the other stuff you mentioned from the submenus off of it. Pretty :coal:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

mcpringles posted:

I don't see why anyone would want to see missed calls, SMS count and email count. You see all of those when they come in through your watch, so whats the point? The other features are neat though.

If you are away from your watch or it's not paired with the phone at the time, it may be useful to see it once you come back. If a notification comes in and isn't acknowledged on the watch, it times itself out after a minute or two (not sure exactly how long), so if you weren't looking at the phone, the missed items would tell you on the watch.

All that said, you can choose a different view from Glance which disables those readouts, so go wild.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

And the frustrating thing is, I don't always notice my phone vibrates but my watch doesn't get the notification. Then I'll hit the Android pulldown and it will say "Pebble is connected". If I tap it or launch the Pebble program, the app says "Not Connected" and (Connecting), and the pulldown will suddenly update to also say not connected as if it wasn't lying to me in the first place.

Sometimes I have to tap connect and disconnect a cycle or two to get it working again. More rarely, I have to re-enable Bluetooth discovery on the watch. No idea how it gets into that state.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I must be the only person on earth who is pretty happy with the strap that came with my black Pebble. Yes, the watch and strap are a bit bulky (especially on my tiny wrist), and the strap's punch holes are a bit meh, but it never gets grimy and smelly like the fabric straps everyone else seems to want to replace them with. I think the biggest thing I'd change is making the strap retention loop less slick, as it often likes to slide past the strap's end.

The Steel looks nice, but I'm definitely not going to double my original outlay to get a nicer looking version of the thing I already have. Especially since I feel like its reliability on Android re: reconnecting after separation or the Pebble app quitting itself for no reason all seemed to be better before they started doing more work on improving the iOS side of things.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Still kinda mad that when my coworker excitedly told me a month ago that the new Pebble update was downloadable, I just thought the Android market was slow to respond. Then I got more mad when Pebble sent out that email saying "GET IT NOW! (unless you're on Android, whoopsie, be ready soon), and still nothing.

All that especially because I felt that the watch connection was more reliable and robust way back when I first got it, before they started improving iOS support and seemingly degrading Android functionality. My watch seemed to connect less often without manual intervention, and be out of date with its own status all the time, claiming it was still connected when it definitely wasn't.

Since then I've switched from an HTC Evo 4G LTE to a Samsung Galaxy S4, and most of my connection issues have gone away. So maybe it was the phone degrading somehow. Still though,I hate waiting so long to get the update that iOS already has.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Cat Hatter posted:

...but try telling that to the "why would you wear a watch when you can [put down whatever you might be holding so that you can] just fish the phone out of your pocket and press a button every time you want to know what time it is?" crowd.

Don't forget the preamble, which I've added for you.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

For me, the battery life is trumping pretty much everything else right now. The fact that all of the new Wear devices and the Watchtm need a charge every day is a non-starter for me. Totally expected, but it makes me pretty happy that I'll be able to stick with my Pebble for probably another year at least.

Same... As it is, it's terrible when I forget to charge my phone overnight; I'd hate to have that same worry every single night, especially when traveling. Not having to remember to take it off when swimming or showering is also nice. As is sending canned SMS replies through the Glance app without having to get out of the shower. :hellyeah:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Chernobyl Prize posted:

That makes sense, I hadn't thought of that.

For battery chat, I take mine off at night and turn it off as well. I still need to charge it about every 3 days.

This isn't related but my pebble was getting the horizontal static-lines and they sent me a new one before I even shipped the old one back. Top-notch customer service, just wanted to mention it.

I ought to do that too. Mine gets all kind of wonky all the time, and I just hit buttons until it seems to fix itself (a weak polarization issue with e-ink capsules? Hard to say.)

But I'll lose the "Kickstarter Edition" written on the back if I do!
:goonsay:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

SpelledBackwards posted:

I ought to do that too. Mine gets all kind of wonky all the time, and I just hit buttons until it seems to fix itself (a weak polarization issue with e-ink capsules? Hard to say.)

But I'll lose the "Kickstarter Edition" written on the back if I do!
:goonsay:

Update on this post: I put up with screen garbling issues for at least a year, and finally a week ago I got in touch with Pebble about it. Looks like they're sending me a replacement.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Dunn question... now that I've received my replacement Pebble in the mail, how the hell do I remove the old one? On the watch I did a factory reset and on the phone's Bluetooth pairings page I told it to unpair the connection.

But now the Pebble app shows both the old watch and the new one in its devices page, and I have no idea how to get rid of the old one. I've tried press & hold, swiping left and right, double tapping, and the menu key. Am I missing something simple?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

Have you tried deleting the app data completely? Installed watch faces and apps should be synced to the pebble account.

That's what I was going to try next; I only have one watch face and 2 apps on there so it's easy to restore. I just find the whole situation odd. I'll see what Pebble super has to say. Thanks.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

drat, my replacement Pebble classic also has screen garbling issues like my original. Looks like I'm contacting customer service again.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

My replacement seems underpowered, unless it gets several in a row. Then they slowly ramp up in strength for some reason with each buzz.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I noticed with my Kickstarter Edition and with my replacement device that the Pebble loses connection really easily when I'm sitting in my hot tub fewer than five feet away from my phone. Anyone else have connection problems when it's in water? I can put my phone in the middle of my house and still maintain a Bluetooth connection throughout every room, but I'm not sure why it being submerged in the water just kills its performance. I never see any problems with it while I'm in the shower.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Such a good job that is the frequency your microwave oven runs on.

:downs: dunno how I didn't make that connection, thanks.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Does anyone have a good way of getting notifications for MMS / group texts to show up on your Pebble? I don't even care if it's impossible to show the message content, it'd be nice to know a group text comes in on my Android phone if I'm not close enough to it to hear the vibration. I like to avoid MMS for mass messaging, but my friends aren't always on the same wavelength.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

I get them on mine, what app do you use for SMS/MMS?

e; I'm using Hangouts on stock, on a Nexus 5. I also installed the Wear app to get actionable responses to all notifications, though I think I still got the notifications themselves before that (just couldn't do anything with them).

I'm using Handcent on an S4 running Android Lollipop. I thought the SMS notifications coming through were native/default and not related to your messaging app.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

Pretty sure SMS is, but I think MMS is handled differently. Either way, it should be able to show any notification that comes up on the phone. If you go to the Notifications section of the Pebble app, is Handcent/the Samsung messaging app checked off under All Apps?

ChiTownEddie posted:

ohhhh. Apparently I need to uncheck SMS and then check the box for the Messages app.

Ahh, I always wondered why Handcent and Android's (or is it Samsung's?) default Messaging app were greyed out from being selectable. I've unchecked SMS and checked Handcent; let's see if that fixes it. Thanks guys!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Got the approval on my 2nd RMA. I was hoping they'd offer some sort of paid upgrade offer for a Time, but looks like they're sending me another original. I have a feeling it's going to get screen issues within 4 months as well.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Jesus christ. I updated my Pebble Classic to the Time firmware and have been very happy and the improved auto-reconnect compared to before where the thing constantly lied to me and said it was still connected in the Android notification area, when clearly the phone had lost connection. Clicking the notification would open the app where it would be stuck on "Connecting...". So that's been much better and the UI improvements are nice, even if it feels like my battery life is just slightly worse now, maybe.

Today Google Maps went to push updates to my phone's offline / downloaded maps, and each percentage indicator increase for the two maps I store generated a separate notification. I don't think I had opted in or out of GMaps notifications, and the new Time just assumes a new app should be promoted to the watch unless you tell it not to afteward or head of time (makes sense). So there came 200 notification buzzes on my wrist across about a minute. This happen to anyone else?

The second thing I've been having issues with is Glance's weather updates. Yesterday when I went to plug in, it hadn't updated my weather in THREE DAYS. I found it amusing that their latest app update said you can get more frequent (<2 hr) updates if you put in a special authorization key. I constantly have to go into the Glance phone app and click Refresh Data in order to get new weather. I've tried changing the provider setting but haven't seen any improvements there. Anyone have that issue too?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

PirateDentist posted:

Welp the warranty classic I got that replaced my kickstarted one due to the graphic glitch has now ALSO developed the same problem. :argh: It didn't even have any rough treatment, I was extra careful with this one.

I'm on my 3rd Classic because of that glitch. Guess you will be soon, too. :cheers:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Anyone else using Glance on Android with a Pebble Classic and having issues with it never updating weather on its own?

Mine's set to update every 3 hours, but I have to manually Refresh Data on there or it will never update. I've seen it more than 9 days behind (when you click the status box to expand details in the app's main screen). My watch showing the near freezing overnight low temperature in the middle of a beautiful sunny, t-shirt and jeans day was my tipoff. I might as well use a face which didn't even show weather; I suppose I'm not paying attention to the readout much anyway.

I imagine the provider settings are good, or else the stupid things wouldn't work on a manually initiated refresh... Regardless, I've tried switching the provider settings and haven't seen an improvement.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

No clue. Here's the Twitter link from their email, but I'm too old to understand Twitter (31):
https://twitter.com/Pebble

May 24 at 10 AM Eastern Daylight Time is whatever their announcement is going to be. I'm guessing not another round of layoffs.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I considered buying a Pebble Time Steel over the weekend, but backed out when I realized that my OG Pebble is good enough for what I need, and I wasn't sure what the future if the company was with all the layoffs.

I'm on my 3rd unit after two screen corruptions, and until a couple months ago this one was occasionally doing it too. But I'm glad to see the Time 2 has less wasted space and a much nicer style to me than Time Steel, for a comparable price if I catch the kickstarter.

Now to convince my brother he wants one for a birthday present, even though it won't ship until closer to my birthday.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Well, I guess it'll soon be time to upgrade from my O.G. Pebble. Discontinuing them just means I have to buy a replacement sooner rather than later, because the competition still hasn't made anything I'd want to buy.

Kinda feel bad for saying this, because there's people who bought the Time 2 at full price and are still waiting for it, but... guess I'm waiting for the Time 2 to go on clearance.
Well, gently caress. I backed for two Time 2 watches. Based on the delays and lack of updates from Pebble about it, I contacted them yesterday to get a refund on one of the them since my brother wasn't all too interested in receiving it as a birthday present it anymore. They agreed this morning and said that KS would refund my money for one of them within 14 days.

Now I kinda wish I'd asked for a refund on both, except that my OG is tearing so badly in its screen (and I don't want to try and do the homebrew fix until I get my Time 2 in case it ruins the waterproofing on the OG). Looks like I could've had maybe waited a bit and had it on clearance instead. Bah. I'm also not too jazzed about what the competition has had going for them, either.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, so now what do I get for a waterproof watch with notifications, a color screen, and a 7 day battery? Really was looking forward to replacing my original Pebble with a Pebble Time 2. Oh well.

For reals. I don't know what to do about my screen tearing Pebble Classic now. At least I'll get my refund in my brother's PT2 soon since I asked for it last week; I wonder how long it'll be until I get the refund on my own.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Get a time machine and stop donating your money to companies on kickstarter.

But I got my This Is Fine dog last week and it's wonderful! Also got my Pebble Time 2 refund two weeks ago as well.

I'm worried my OG doesn't have long left. It tears about 90% of the time. I'm considering taking it apart and trying to fix it as per YouTube demos, but the battery is also acting wonky.

A few days ago, I charged it just before going to bed, and it said "Fully Charged" when I unplugged it. Less than 9 hours later when I woke up, it said it was at 40 or 60%. I recharged it again last night, and I think I again unplugged it before bed. Some 12-20 hours later it says 90% and seems to be doing better.

Dammit, I don't know what watch I'll get next if this one bites it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Still, it's crappy you're having to do it at all. Just a few days before the announcement I messaged Pebble through the KS page saying I wanted a refund on one of my two that were pledged because my brother wasn't interested in receiving one anymore and the lack of news in November didn't help (but that I was still looking forward to getting mine).

They replied and said no problem, and that I'd get a refund processed through KS within 2 weeks. Of course they didn't say anything about the Fitbit news since it wasn't public yet, and I started to regret not asking for both to be refunded and just pay retail when the PT2 finally did show up in stores, but I soldiered on and moved my OG. A day or two later they announced the acquisition, and I thought I'd have to wait until March to get the second one refunded as well (before they publicly walked that back to "2 weeks"). I got a refund on both in one transaction a little more than a week later when the first other people started getting theirs.

That's my boring story. Godspeed to you on getting back what you're owed.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

The king is dead, long live the king?

After a rough patch, Fitbit will start making smartwatches
http://mashable.com/2017/01/30/fitbit-to-make-smartwatches/#ULLOJ4K_VOqT

quote:

Fitbit co-founder and CEO James Park announced the company's plans for expansion into the smartwatch space in this morning's release: "We believe we are uniquely positioned to succeed in delivering what consumers are looking for in a smartwatch: stylish, well-designed devices that combine the right general-purpose functionality with a focus on health and fitness," he said.

Also note the reports that Google is going to introduce two watches partnered with LG in about a week called the Style and Sport, and Huawei is also apparently going to update their line this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Got a Pebble 2 SE on an Ebay clearance about two weeks ago to replace my broken Classic, and I'm happy to be back. I heard about the Android app update a few days ago, but I'm still not seeing it in my Play Store. Does anyone else not see the update?

• Locked thread