Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
For those of you that received yours, what's the communication like leading up to delivery? Did you all get emails/tracking numbers etc. or did it just show up one day?

I basically willed myself to forget about mine for the past year, but I'm starting to get antsy lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

kuskus posted:

That's pretty interesting. Everyone I know (mind you- I'm counting on one hand) had theirs shipped from California. City of Industry maybe.

Oh good, if its shipping from CoI, I'll probably get mine within a day or so once it does ship. Dunno why I suddenly got the bug after more than a year, but I'm seriously jonesing to have the loving thing on my wrist now.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

waffle posted:

Have they actually finished shipping all the Kickstarter orders? I can't imagine them stocking a single Best Buy if they can't even ship out all the preorders and Kickstarter orders after so long

They haven't filled all the backers' orders, but they have sent all black Pebbles. Hence why black pre-orders are shipping already, and why Best Buy will have only black watches until August. It makes sense to start fulfilling new orders for a certain color and start opening other distribution channels if they have an abundance of the first type produced, even if some of the other colors aren't even made yet (I think white is the only one that hasn't been officially announced as entering production). I don't know if they're still producing more "fulfilled" colors alongside the unfinished runs like grey and white, or if they're just working from existing stock and focusing on finishing the backers orders with new production. I would bet that Best Buy will only have like 6 per store at first anyway, unless they've cranked up production of the earlier colors.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 2, 2013

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

I tend to agree in terms of the $0 pre-orders, but the 2012 preorderers and the backers who STILL haven't got their watches even after the "switch to black, it'll be faster" thing, are still waiting for them to make any kind of effort on German shipping, or have been left hanging for weeks by Pebble support, they've got every reason to be pissed. Throughout the whole exercise it's been abundantly clear Pebble couldn't give a poo poo about customer service, though, so at this stage I don't know why anyone's even surprised.

Maybe I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt here, but they could just be bad at customer service, rather than not give a poo poo about it. If the company sticks it out and continues to grow I can see these issues smoothing out eventually, but who knows.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've had mine for about a week now, and the 8 app limitation has already annoyed me. How does Runkeeper's integration work, and could other phone apps do something similar without taking up those slots on the watch? I was specifically thinking today about a navigation app running on the phone and displaying the next turn direction with distance on the watch. I suppose that kind of integration would require specific support in the watch OS, or through the Pebble app or something.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 22, 2013

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

Just to reiterate - every few seconds. If you're on foot and using it, it's a loving terrible idea. If you're in a car or something, I guess it might be a better one.

Yeah, that sounds pretty annoying in either case. I guess I could submit a feature suggestion, though it would require support from both Pebble and the app developer for it to work how I'm thinking.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 22, 2013

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

But it's probably photo shopped. Not too hard to color something.

I don't think they are, most of the images look unique.

I want to order a few, but drat if they aren't a bit pricey.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

xamphear posted:

My Pebble has been in the closet, battery dead, for months now. SDK 2.0 sounds like what they originally promised backers would be released ahead of the watches even shipping. If people start putting out interesting poo poo, that might be enough to get me wearing it on a daily basis again. But, I'm not holding my breath.

If I get super loving bored some weekend, I might download the new SDK and see if I can even make that drop-dead simple XBMC remote app (it really just needs to execute 6 HTTP GET requests to work). If that can't even be done, then well...

Its gonna be tough with your battery wrecked from sitting discharged for months. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Prescription Combs posted:

Any word on if the watch will ever be able to control Pandora radio on Android? :(

It has been able to do this for a very long time, possibly since launch. You select what the "music" watch app controls from the phone app. Only does next track and play/pause as far as I know, though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Does Android not have universal Bluetooth media controls? With the iPhone Pebble gets song data and music control from whatever audio app is active.

Nope, that sounds nice! The Android version of it (using Pandora) is a watchface with "no music found". Functional, but in the most basic sense.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

I must be the only person on earth who is pretty happy with the strap that came with my black Pebble.

I haven't been bothered enough to change mine yet. Its not the most comfortable band, but it gets the job done and I can spill any manner of poo poo on it at work and not worry about it.

For those that have changed it out, can you replace it yourself or did you have to take it to a jeweler/watch shop?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

I have it now and I am really impressed by how filled out the app store already is.

Anything interesting beyond scorekeeper apps and stopwatches?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
For me, the battery life is trumping pretty much everything else right now. The fact that all of the new Wear devices and the Watchtm need a charge every day is a non-starter for me. Totally expected, but it makes me pretty happy that I'll be able to stick with my Pebble for probably another year at least.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

Dunn question... now that I've received my replacement Pebble in the mail, how the hell do I remove the old one? On the watch I did a factory reset and on the phone's Bluetooth pairings page I told it to unpair the connection.

But now the Pebble app shows both the old watch and the new one in its devices page, and I have no idea how to get rid of the old one. I've tried press & hold, swiping left and right, double tapping, and the menu key. Am I missing something simple?

Have you tried deleting the app data completely? Installed watch faces and apps should be synced to the pebble account.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

If the plastic one doesn't have a glass screen and the steel does then thats worth it to me.

They're both glass (and the front bezel of the regular Time is also stainless steel), though the Steel update mentioned the display being laminated to the glass which I didn't see before. Can't imagine they'd do that for one and not the other, but :shrug:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Fuzzy Analog
Pandora
Multi Timer
Pixel Miner
Weather Land

I've been using the basic digital face because its super easy to read at work, I am a terrible smart watch user. Just added Weather Land after posting this, looks nice! Can't wait to see some of these in color.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 24, 2015

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Kazy posted:

...(installed this for shits and giggles like 3 weeks ago, never bothered replacing)

Do many of you have a rotating stock of faces/apps beyond the 8 slots, currently? It'll be interesting to find out how many apps and faces the original hardware will be able to cache with the new OS.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

I've never gotten more than two days and change out of mine.

Are you just running Pixel Miner 24/7 or what?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm willing to bet a first round of shipments will go out within the first week. I sure hope they can actually fulfill rewards somewhat in order this time.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
New Kickstarter update; looks like shipments will start to leave the factory some time mid-May. Production is ramping up this week. From their production timeline in the update, sounds like any watches received in May will be in the last week of the month at best.

Obviously better than the first Pebble's time frame, still a bit of a bummer that there's still basically a month to go. :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

burntloser posted:

I got mine, but no iOS app, so it's DOA. yay!

That's some bullshit. Still can't really understand the reasoning for a completely separate companion app.

I'm pretty annoyed at the shipping situation; I'm supposedly going to be getting mine this Friday. I finally just found this out after seeing that people were finding their tracking number in the page source of the Kickstarter backer portal. No email that its on its way, nothing since charging the sales tax to my card 2+ weeks ago (besides their general updates). Really makes the bullshit reasons for the additional $10 shipping charge stand out.

e: of course I get an email like 20 minutes after posting this. :v:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 3, 2015

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Namlemez posted:

I was an original backer and that one lasted almost two years before developing the garbled screen issue. They sent me another one in May that lasted all of two weeks and is now more garbled than the original one. I emailed support again and they're sending me a third one (still no charge) but I'm kind of disappointed in the quality trend...

Not presenting this as any kind of metric, but I'm pretty sure my new PT had a loose internal connection when I received it. It wouldn't charge unless I squeezed the charging cable and the watch together pretty firmly. Realized pressing on the screen itself worked better than the bezel, and the third or fourth time I tried it, I felt a tiny little click and it worked as it should. Hopefully that's an isolated thing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Those of you without tracking numbers, you might have one hidden in your Kickstarter backer page where your info and color selection are. View Source on that page and search for tracking, it'll be near that (there's two fields, one for Pebble Time tracking and one for Pebble Steel tracking).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I hope the microphone gets some loving soon. As it stands now it's a bit clunky to even send a voice reply if you're not just standing there looking at the watch, and that's all it can do so far. Like, obviously I want to be able to activate Google Now with my watch, but just a setting to make it listen for like 15 seconds after a new actionable notification for a reply command would be incredible.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

Are there any recommended Time watchfaces?

I've currently got
DIN Time (currently active)
Shadow
Thin
Love Weather
tictoc
Studio Clock

Any other ones I should look for?

I like Weather Land most of the time, and Happy is nice and colorful.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
DND is a godsend, these watches have the loudest vibrate motor I've ever heard. Especially with a metal link band.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I get them on mine, what app do you use for SMS/MMS?

e; I'm using Hangouts on stock, on a Nexus 5. I also installed the Wear app to get actionable responses to all notifications, though I think I still got the notifications themselves before that (just couldn't do anything with them).

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 19, 2015

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure SMS is, but I think MMS is handled differently. Either way, it should be able to show any notification that comes up on the phone. If you go to the Notifications section of the Pebble app, is Handcent/the Samsung messaging app checked off under All Apps?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I like the look for the most part, besides the monster bezel, but losing the most lauded feature of the brand is kinda lovely. 15 minute charge time might render that point moot, though. That's gotta be a tiny loving battery. My wife sent me a link this morning with little hearts-for-eyes emoji, so I think they've hit their mark.

e; Oops, 15 minutes of charging gives you 24 hours of battery life, not a full 48. That makes a little more sense. Looking at more photos, the bezel isn't really inconsistent with the other new models.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 23, 2015

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The voice replies have worked 90% of the time for me, but I hardly use them because of how awkwardly they're implemented. I wish the thing would just automatically listen for like 10-15 seconds after a notification popped up for a keyword. Also, the lack of voice commands is annoying.

I'd guess they're hooked into Google's voice recognition somehow, maybe that's why only Gmail can do voice replies on iOS right now? That might be totally unrelated, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lux Aeterna posted:

I got some pretty decent scratches in my PT over the weekend- is there anything that works for buffing up gorilla glass?

Don't do it! There's a coating that will wear away as you buff it, and it looks like rear end. Take my word for it, I got a small scratch like 3 days into having the watch and had to basically buff the whole coating off the screen after I discovered that. Didn't even get rid of the scratch, either.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lux Aeterna posted:

i didn't do anything yet aside from message pebble support and post here. if they were just deep cuts it would be fine but the problem is they have the white streaks that are making the screen hard to see.

worse comes to worse i just forced myself into a PT round battery downgrade/aesthetic upgrade

I mean, if the scratches are that bad, what do you have to lose I guess. I've gotten recommendations from a couple people to try cerium oxide powder in a slurry, haven't made time to order it yet.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Why come I can't find an app that will prevent the phone from requiring my pin to unlock when my watch is nearby

What phone OS? Android lets you add the watch as a trusted device without any special app as of 5.1 or so, I think.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Pebble is being sold for scrap for $34-$40M. Last year they turned down a $740M buyout offer.

I'm guessing there are some very unhappy people with Pebble holdings right now.

This was the biggest takeaway from the few articles I read. Like, whoops.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Anybody who backed any of the watches on KS is getting the update email, but here's a link to the blog post anyway. Ceasing all operations, warranty support gone, all returns before today will be honored, all backers without their new watch getting a refund. :sad:

https://blog.getpebble.com/2016/12/07/fitbit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

And today is your reminder of one of the most important rules of the internet, never, ever, ever back a Kickstarter.

Eh, they're still refunding pledges at least. I backed their first two (and several other campaigns) that went fine. I think its like any other risky venture. Judge whether you believe the campaign will be successful and can fulfill the promises made, and if you can handle just pissing that money away if it goes totally tits up. Only one of the half dozen or so Kickstarters I've backed hasn't followed through with their entire premise, and it was coincidentally the most flaky looking from the start and the one I pledged the least amount to, and I still at least got a USB stick out of it.

• Locked thread