Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Manky posted:

Apparently they haven't totally forgotten about the round, they just added gold & silver "special editions" to their kickstarter. I think they look good.

This is really nice but yeah they need to reduce the bezel for me to consider it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I just got an OG steel off eBay since the screen on my black pebble started going out. I wish I'd just spent the extra on this thing first, it actually feels like I'm wearing a watch and not a toy. Now I just have to spend the same on an adapter for a band as I did on the watch. sigh

Anyone have an opinion on the 3.0 Timeline firmware vs Pebble bits?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

azurite posted:

My Time Steel started making a jingling noise when the motor turns on. Anyone hear this on theirs? What's my prognosis?
It's a warning that there are only 151 days left till Christmas.

That or the vibrate motor is going wrong, you need to get an RMA.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Haha, it actually stopped doing that after a day or so. I'll just pretend it's what you said.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to have notifications auto-clear on iOS? It's annoying when I look down for the time and I have to clear an alert from what seems like hours ago still on my screen.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is there a way to have notifications auto-clear on iOS? It's annoying when I look down for the time and I have to clear an alert from what seems like hours ago still on my screen.

I'm on iOS and my notifications auto-clear after two minutes. I was sure there was a setting for that, but can't find it now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Froist posted:

I'm on iOS and my notifications auto-clear after two minutes. I was sure there was a setting for that, but can't find it now.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a setting for it, but I don't see it in the new Pebble app.

Mine clear, but it's inconsistent and as you might imagine I really notice when they don't.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Mine only clear when I check out the respective notification on the phone.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The firmware for 4.0 just hit. Biggest change is the app menu being a list of four apps at once rather than just one app per screen. Also apps can have "glances" or a little bit of information below them in the menu (for example now settings shows battery life without having to open the app). Also instead of going tomoast events in timeline, pressing up just goes to the Health app (which has gotten a fancy new UI). I think you can also assign app shortcuts to all four buttons instead of just up and down.

And something about letting iOS fiddle with emails now, but it's a preview feature so no clue how much you can do with it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rorus Raz posted:

And something about letting iOS fiddle with emails now, but it's a preview feature so no clue how much you can do with it.

If I understand correctly you can now do the same things as on Android -- mark read, delete, star, open on phone. Not sure about reply.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

azurite posted:

Haha, it actually stopped doing that after a day or so. I'll just pretend it's what you said.

I would still send it back if I were you, there's a good chance it might start happening again!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Meh, it's been over two months and it's been behaving normally. Probably just a fluke or me hearing things.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Well I hope my Time 2 actually gets shipped to me, because Pebble is about to be eliminated by Fitbit.

quote:

Health and fitness wearables maker Fitbit is buying smartwatch maker Pebble, The Information reports, citing three people familiar with the deal.

Pebble, which started out as a Kickstarter project in 2012, captured a portion of the smartwatch market early, before heavyweights such as Apple and Samsung launched their first watches.

However, the company has most recently been struggling financially, laying off a quarter of its workers in May 2016.

The Information doesn't have a price for the deal, but Engadget reports Fitbit is buying Pebble for a paltry $34 - $40 million, which is orders of magnitude lower than some previous offers Pebble has had on the table -- and refused.

This is not good news.
If you're a lover of Pebble watches, some of which have won good reviews here on Mashable, this is not good news. Fitbit is buying Pebble for its technology and IP; Pebble devices will likely be phased out post-acquisition.

After a period of incredible buzz in 2014, when Google launched Android Wear, and 2015, when Apple launched the first Watch, the hype around smartwatches has subsided considerably.

Apple itself seems to be focusing on the fitness vertical with its Watch, and a recent IDC report said the smartwatch market is shrinking fast.

It sucks to see a good company gutted and a good product killed just to reduce competition by a corporation with deeper pockets.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I love and defend Pebble but if this recent mega-successful Kickstarter campaign wasn't enough to save them due to what would have to be massively poor internal budgeting then gently caress it. It's been real.

RIP feature rich and modern e-ink watches.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm going to wait until pebbles are clearanced everywhere and buy a few to last until the heat death of the universe.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Pebble is being sold for scrap for $34-$40M. Last year they turned down a $740M buyout offer.

I'm guessing there are some very unhappy people with Pebble holdings right now.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Pebble is being sold for scrap for $34-$40M. Last year they turned down a $740M buyout offer.

I'm guessing there are some very unhappy people with Pebble holdings right now.

This was the biggest takeaway from the few articles I read. Like, whoops.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Sigh and of course I broke my personal rule to back this KS because I liked the product so much and wanted to support Pebble.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So yeah what's going to happen to us backers :|

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

CLAM DOWN posted:

So yeah what's going to happen to us backers :|

Hopefully (I mean, we better) get our watches and an app update or two before it is unsupported :/
Let's hope the hardware is solid! lol.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sigh and of course I broke my personal rule to back this KS because I liked the product so much and wanted to support Pebble.

Yes, this is the biggest lesson, never, ever, ever back a Kickstarter. I don't care if Apple or Microsoft is running the Kickstarter, don't do it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
You can ask for a refund. I got my pebble 2 about a month ago from my KS and just asked them to return it and cancel my Core.

If you are on iOS I cannot recommend the new series 1/2 Apple watches enough. The integration with iOS is far beyond what you can do with pebble and I get 2 day battery life pretty easy though I'm a charge every night kinda dude just cause I don't like wearing a watch at night. Same way with my PT Round.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

You can ask for a refund. I got my pebble 2 about a month ago from my KS and just asked them to return it and cancel my Core.

If you are on iOS I cannot recommend the new series 1/2 Apple watches enough. The integration with iOS is far beyond what you can do with pebble and I get 2 day battery life pretty easy though I'm a charge every night kinda dude just cause I don't like wearing a watch at night. Same way with my PT Round.

Should I contact Pebble or Kickstarter customer service? I'm on Android, what's the best smartwatch for me?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I contacted Pebble.

I dunno, man. I guess I'd look to see what Android Wear is doing nowadays. Depending on your needs, I thought some of the Premium Garmins looked nice.

I think Pebble really was the best but they made some design mistakes and (must have) squandered money, imo. They had some of the most successful KS of all time, just this year! And still, here we are.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Should I contact Pebble or Kickstarter customer service? I'm on Android, what's the best smartwatch for me?

Android wear is basically your only option and pretty much none of them offer an always on display while not needing to be charged daily. There's basically nothing comparable on the market from what I've seen and I am very unhappy about this

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Android Wear will get its refresh next year some time...so most likely I'd guess it is Pebble or bust until fall 2017.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I don't care about Apple vs android all I am going to say is that since I got my Apple Watch I use my phone even less than when I had my pebble and it finally does feel like some Her future stuff with the things you can do. If you don't really care that much about android vs Apple and you can switch i vouche that it's a dope setup.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have no interest or desire to switch to iOS and will be staying on Android (especially with how good the Pixel XL is) so I'll wait for the next Android Wear device refresh I guess. When is that expected?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm also here to pay my respects. Pebble was a good watch for many, my best watch, a watch I will always remember.

RIP Pebble [/fanboi]

In all seriousness, I'll be on the lookout for another watch with similar features and battery life, but I don't think I'm going to see one for a long time.

azurite fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 1, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The time 2 is going to be my first pebble device. I ordered it in June. Looking forward to becoming a customer for life!
:smith:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Cloks posted:

I'm going to wait until pebbles are clearanced everywhere and buy a few to last until the heat death of the universe.

I won't return my Time 2, assuming I get it in January. If they ever clearance, it'll probably be the regular Pebble 2 and I might grab a few. With the backorder I doubt they'll have back stock to distribute.

It sucks they're being bought just for the IP.

We won't even get a Not-Pebble, by Fitbit

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Well, I guess it'll soon be time to upgrade from my O.G. Pebble. Discontinuing them just means I have to buy a replacement sooner rather than later, because the competition still hasn't made anything I'd want to buy.

Kinda feel bad for saying this, because there's people who bought the Time 2 at full price and are still waiting for it, but... guess I'm waiting for the Time 2 to go on clearance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Yes, this is the biggest lesson, never, ever, ever back a Kickstarter. I don't care if Apple or Microsoft is running the Kickstarter, don't do it.

I backed a Pebble accessory on Kickstarter (heartbeat tracker). It still hasn't been delivered. :(

I enjoyed my Pebble, but it's really not aging well. I can't tell if it's perception or not, but the screen on my Pebble Time seems to have gotten significantly duller. Like I'm longing for the old monochromatic display.

I'm going back to regular watches. My Pebble will go into the same box as all my old Palms.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
drat, that sucks. I'm still rocking the OG Steel and was really looking forward to the Time 2 to finally upgrade. It's been nice having a functional smartwatch that wasn't super obvious, had an always on screen and didn't need to be charged every day.

Wasn't super impressed with AW when I got one previously, hope they do better with this next generation. Otherwise I guess the Steel just needs to last forever.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Trusting Google to be competent is a fool's errand

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
The worst part about this is now I need to have a smartwatch, it's like a necessary component of my notification system that would be hard to go back from. So I'll keep my Pebble indefinitely and then if it dies I'll be forced to have a bad AW watch, ugh.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Well, I guess it'll soon be time to upgrade from my O.G. Pebble. Discontinuing them just means I have to buy a replacement sooner rather than later, because the competition still hasn't made anything I'd want to buy.

Kinda feel bad for saying this, because there's people who bought the Time 2 at full price and are still waiting for it, but... guess I'm waiting for the Time 2 to go on clearance.
Well, gently caress. I backed for two Time 2 watches. Based on the delays and lack of updates from Pebble about it, I contacted them yesterday to get a refund on one of the them since my brother wasn't all too interested in receiving it as a birthday present it anymore. They agreed this morning and said that KS would refund my money for one of them within 14 days.

Now I kinda wish I'd asked for a refund on both, except that my OG is tearing so badly in its screen (and I don't want to try and do the homebrew fix until I get my Time 2 in case it ruins the waterproofing on the OG). Looks like I could've had maybe waited a bit and had it on clearance instead. Bah. I'm also not too jazzed about what the competition has had going for them, either.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
My biggest question is why Pebble never licensed their system. I mean even Meta was able to license their lovely watch OS. Pebble was a leader back when fitness trackers and smartwatches were in such a huge bubble that even Apple fell into which is why Citizen was willing to pay Pebble almost a three quarters of a billion dollars for their dinky little company.

I'm sure they could have found interested licensees back in the day, hell, Citizen may have even been willing to license it instead of buying the company.

I think the Pebble lesson is that they were just incompetently run.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've backed all three Pebble Kickstarter campaigns and have been a huge evangelist of Pebble since Day 1, but even I'm considering asking for a refund in light of the acquisition rumors. Even if the Pebble Time 2's get delivered, every watch will be crippled without a company maintaining server infrastructure to serve up additional apps and watchfaces. I guess the silver lining to an actual acquisition would be Pebble open-sourcing their backend software to allow the community to maintain an ecosystem, but even I have a hard time believing that'd ever happen with Fitbit at the helm :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

I backed this for a time 2 back in June, then forgot about it until last month. I got all hyped, and then more and more worried as the month slipped away with no information. Now just hoping I haven't flushed $160+ down the toilet. My first kickstarter, never again!

• Locked thread