Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The best part about Mickeys Philharmagic is that it is secretly a Donald Duck attraction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Coasterphreak posted:

Just don’t forget the drat ponchos because it rains in Florida like 300 days a year and Disney charges through the nose for them.

Unless you’re like me and don’t give a drat about getting soaked because it’s park of the theme park experience imo.
That is item #1 on the park bag list, yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Omne posted:

It's at the Greece kiosk during Food & Wine, griddled cheese with pistachio and honey

That’s the one during September, right? I should be going to Orlando again for HHN this year.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Only rained for like twenty minutes of our four day trip last week. Very nice weather.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

CapnAndy posted:

Fantasyland
Peter Pan's Flight - Don't ride this. Content-wise, it's fine, you fly through London and Neverland. But the rider-per-hour thoroughput is, and always has been, completely hosed, and it skews the wait times well beyond what's reasonable. It's just impossible to justify the time investment.

How loving dare you. Please rope drop the best ride in tha park. 😉

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Good plans! And yeah, the fireworks are late for kids. Retreating to your hotel mid-afternoon for a nap is an option, as is just letting them pass out in the stroller.

Let's do a rundown on all the Magic Kingdom rides. Fair warning, there's a lot; MK has more rides than any other park by a wide margin.

We're gonna argue on some of these.

Adventureland
Enchanted Tiki Room - I ADORE the Tiki Room, but there is a part which is dark and has lots of loud thunder and things get a little threatening after this. There's no floor motion, but some kids do get scared of it because of this. Still has a happy ending though.
Pirates of the Caribbean - Until I was 23, I was scared of this drop. It lasts for literally a second, but I had to brace and freak out until it was over. 99.9% of the population will be fine. If you're cool with rider switch, I'd take your son on it first so you can experience it and report back to your spouse and daughter
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin - Dumbo reskin and you can see the entire experience from the ground. It's up to you how high or low you go until the very end, when the arms raise the carpets all the way up for a few rotations, then come on back down. I prefer Dumbo, too, but if the kids wanna do it, meh, do it.

Fantasyland

Enchanted Tales with Belle - Agreeing with Andy here, unless she's feeling very, very shy. There IS a bolt exit in this show, if you need it.
"it's a small world" - The only problem with small world is that it's 10-15 minutes long. If your daughter is feeling it, she'll probably be fine. Otherwise, it's a long ride.
Mickey's PhilharMagic - There's a water squirting portion that's triggered a few people I've been with in the past, but otherwise it's really cute.
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid - The one note I'll make here in disagreement is the time you may be waiting for this: I've seen 45 minute waits on this here and there. That said, I agree with everything else. It's a quick ride, it's pretty, and the little interactive crab game is pretty cute in the queue.

Liberty Square
Hall of Presidents - I love Hall of Presidents, but I also love historical stuff. If the kids love American Adventure, do Hall of Presidents, too.
Haunted Mansion - Adding on that there's a part in Haunted Mansion where the ride vehicle turns around (gently, but suddenly) and tips backwards. Spooked the hell of out me when I was 9 or so. It's a brief part, but if your daughter is easily spooked by quick (if brief) movements, it might get her.

Tomorrowland
Astro Orbiter - Between the wait for this and how high it is and the spooky rear end elevator you have to get into to go on it, I'd just nix this unless the kids are absolutely pumped for it.
Carousel of Progress - Andy's wrong :p It's had things updated since 1993! Like the laptops in the last scene!!! But he's pretty much right. I'm a huge Carousel of Progress fan and I love it as much as the Enchanted Tiki Room. That said, it also has a dark scene with lots of slapping and clanking around, so if it gets her at the Tiki Room it might get her here, too. On the other hand, there's a cute animatronic dog in every single scene (Rover's a good, good boy) and if she likes dogs, that might be enough to distract her.
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor - My only note here is if your daughter would be upset by seeing any of you on the television screens mounted at the front of the room, you can request a CM that your bench is avoided by the cameras.
The Peoplemover - My only note here is that it's another 10-15 minute ride, like small world. If small world is too long for your daughter, peoplemover might be, too. Still, peoplemover is a good and peaceful little ride for everybody to take a rest.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Agreed on Pirates of the Caribbean. My daughter is timid and was 6 when we went (she's now 8). She still talks about how that drop scared her. I think it's not so much the drop itself, but the fact that it's combined with a dark, kinda spooky environment. Haunted Mansion scared her, too, and she did not like. Too many dark unknowns around every corner (even if it's all goofy to an adult). If your daughter is anything like mine is / was, I would let her sit those out.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I didn’t know Pirates of the Caribbean was anything more than a movie until my first visit to WDW in 2015. That’s my contribution to that ride lore.

Cool fact - my husband’s beer company got a cider in Flower and Garden this year - they are actually taking a field trip next week to go visit their cider (CBB Orange Cream Hard Cider at refreshment port) so please go drink a ton of it and pair it with the dole whip next door kthxgoons

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of Pirates and Disney, Hans Zimmer is touring the US this year and I will be there in Boston if anybody is in my neck of the woods.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SedZArOO0WE

Nice work, pal

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Nice Kronk riff in the middle too.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I've never been more jealous of random people than I was today when watching those videos.

also good lord I logged into SA on my laptop for the first time in like 5 years, almost couldn't figure out where anything was

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CapnAndy posted:

Good plans! And yeah, the fireworks are late for kids. Retreating to your hotel mid-afternoon for a nap is an option, as is just letting them pass out in the stroller.

I will go ahead an throw this out there as someone who used to be a sensitive kid in late 80s Disneyland: The peoplemover going through Space Mountain thing can be unnerving because you might think it's going to actually go fast. The old Disneyland ride spiel used to say something like "here's a taste of the high-intensity thrills aboard Space Mountain" (they were also going uphill at the highest speed they reached through the entire track), I remember my parents having to promise me that the car was not suddenly going to fork onto a coaster track. This sounds absurd, I know, but adults used to think Spaceship Earth was going to drop them 200ft backwards so apparently I'm not alone.

Haunted Mansion is, for it's very concept, a no-go for some kids. I caused one of the largest scenes of my life to try to avoid going on it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My 4yo daughter used the bolt door at Enchanted Tales with Belle. She loves thrill rides (age adjusted), but the social/interactive meets make her flip a little. She also got freaked out by Haunted Mansion but also insists she loved it and is begging to go back on it next time we go?

Big Thunder Mountain was a huge hit with her and was a relatively quick wait.

The Jungle Cruise jokes are legitimately funny I don’t even care if the kids liked the ride. (They did tho)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Also trip report, Port Orleans princess rooms are kinda neat for kids but dated as hell and might have one of the cheapest TV's

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BadSamaritan posted:

The Jungle Cruise jokes are legitimately funny I don’t even care if the kids liked the ride. (They did tho)

Like, you can tell which skippers are into it and which ones aren't and the ones who are are absolutely gods at the delivery of those tired old jokes that still crack me up every single time.

We did have a lousy ADA experience at Jungle Cruise one year and it was a dock person being too lazy to tie off the boat or put a ramp down so my service dog could safely disembark (woof, get it, am I funny now :smith: )like they're supposed to but it got sorted out and we haven't had the issue happen since. I imagine the dock person was just sick of dealing with all the bending and stooping, which I understand, but my dog isn't getting off a boat that's actively bobbing and the edge keeps slamming back and forth into the dock with a perfect foot/paw-sized gap.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Let's do a rundown on all the Magic Kingdom rides. Fair warning, there's a lot; MK has more rides than any other park by a wide margin.

Adventureland
Enchanted Tiki Room - Charming as hell and a show, not a ride. Even if it wasn't a launch-day classic, it'd be worth it for the chance to sit down in air conditioning. Animatronic birds sing. Nothing challenging here at all.
Jungle Cruise - You want to do this one, it's a classic and the whole family can handle it. You sit in a slow boat and look at silly animatronics (that were cutting-edge when Disneyland opened 70 years ago) while the boat operator makes jokes that are actually pretty funny.
Pirates of the Caribbean - Another must-do classic. There's one small drop and the pirates are somewhat threatening, so it might challenge your daughter, but it should be within her tolerances.
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin - Dumbo reskin. You can skip this unless your kids are super into that sort of ride, in which case it's great, because it is exactly the same ride as Dumbo but with no wait time.

Fantasyland
The Barnstormer - This is an extremely mild kiddie coaster. Your son will have a good time. If your daughter's feeling particularly brave, there's probably no better way to introduce her to thrill rides.
Dumbo the Flying Elephant - Okay, so. This is somewhat beyond classic and into iconic. As a ride, it's nothing. Ride vehicles spin around and go up and down, it's nothing that's not at every carnival in the world. But it is the Dumbo ride at Disney World. It's in all the pictures and commercials, and if you want that experience, I don't blame you. (Note that if you just want the picture, they've got an extra ride vehicle out front specifically to take pictures in.) The wait is going to be long. Luckily, MK Dumbo has an amazing "queue area" where they give you a timed pager and then let your kids loose in an indoors playground, and you go and fetch them to ride the ride when your pager goes off.
Enchanted Tales with Belle - This isn't a ride, this is an interactive meet-and-greet with Belle where you get told a short version of Beauty and the Beast by a storyteller first. You also get to walk through a magic mirror in one of the best special effects in the park. Your daughter will absolutely go nuts for it.
"it's a small world" - You know what this is. You have to go on this. Whole family. Singing dolls.
Mad Tea Party - This is a teacup ride. You can get it in any carnival. Unless you have to do it in Disney World, you can give it a skip.
Mickey's PhilharMagic - This is a show, so it has sitting down in air conditioning going for it. It's also extremely charming and themed around popular Disney songs, mostly from the 90s movies. It's in 3D, if your daughter is still startled by that, but otherwise everyone should enjoy it.
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - This is actually kinda intense? Like, there's a nightmare sequence and a windstorm. It's not fast or anything, but it might be too much for your daughter and, paradoxically, not enough for your son. Judgement call here.
Peter Pan's Flight - Don't ride this. Content-wise, it's fine, you fly through London and Neverland. But the rider-per-hour thoroughput is, and always has been, completely hosed, and it skews the wait times well beyond what's reasonable. It's just impossible to justify the time investment.
Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel - This is a merry-go-round. You can put the kids on it or not at your discretion.
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - I would give this one a miss. It's a kiddie coaster, so it's too intense for your daughter, and quite frankly it's not very good. It's got stupid long wait times and it's not worth the time in line or the timeskip fee. You're much better off taking your son on Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain; those are good rides.
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid - Classic dark ride. Sit in nice slow-moving ride vehicle, look at animatronics that retell Little Mermaid, it's probably a walk-on or close to it because it's not particularly new or exciting and it's extremely efficient at moving guests through. Your daughter will love it, your whole family will appreciate the break.

Frontierland
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - This is a kiddie coaster. Your son will love it. Too much for your daughter unless she's been emboldened by the rest of the trip.
(It's got two other attractions, Country Bear Jamboree and Tiana's Bayou Adventure (formerly Splash Mountain), but they're both closed for overhauls and not scheduled to reopen until at least the summer.)

Liberty Square
Hall of Presidents - Animatronic Presidents give speeches. There's a hilariously bad Trump where they quite clearly built a Hillary animatronic for 2016 and then hurriedly slapped a wig on it. It's boring. I don't like it, but you can use it for another break out of the sun, if nothing else.
Haunted Mansion - An absolute classic. Unsure if your daughter can handle it -- the ride motion itself is as sedate as it comes. How is she with ghosts, albeit silly ones?

Tomorrowland
Astro Orbiter - This is another Dumbo reskin, except with spaceships and also you're pretty high up, so it's more popular than Magic Carpets.
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - This one's really fun. You're in a two-person ride vehicle that can rotate, each person has their own light gun, and you manually control the rotation of your vehicle with a joystick in the center. You move through a ride that's a shooting gallery, getting points for the targets you hit. Fun on its own, extra fun to compete with your family for the high score. Everyone should enjoy this.
Carousel of Progress - This is a theater-in-the-round thing where your seats rotate around a circular center, viewing four distinct scenes, all "acted" by animatronics. Unless your kids have a taste for nostalgia, they probably won't get much out of this, although talking robots are a bit interesting, maybe? You and your wife might get more out of it; it's a port of an exhibit Walt Disney made for the 1964 World's Fair, with some edits to remove the rampant sexism from the original and to update the last scene... but it hasn't been touched since 1993, which is why the scenes depict 1900, 1920, 1940, and... 2000. It's fundamentally dull but it has fans, me included. If nothing else, it's a solid 20 minutes or so sitting down out of the sun.
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor - It's a show where a CGI monster powered by a live cast member behind the scenes and lip-syncing technology tell corny jokes aimed right at children in your kids' age groups. They will love this. Take them.
Space Mountain - This is a coaster, though there are no inversions. But it is fast, there are sharp turns and drops, and it's all done in the dark (not pitch-black, some things are lit up, but it's overall dark. Because you are in space). It might push your son's limits. But if he can handle it, he'll love it.
The Peoplemover - You sit in little cars and get taken on a guided tour of Tomorrowland. If you end up on it, it'll be a cute few minutes. If you don't, you haven't missed much.
Tomorrowland Speedway - This is go-karts on a track. Gas powered ones, too; you can smell this ride before you see it. Is it a completely un-special go-kart experience? Yes. Do kids love go-karts, though? Also yes.
TRON Lightcycle Power Run Rollercoaster - This is a launch coaster that hits 60 mph. No inversions. If you took your son on the Guardians coaster at EPCOT and he loved it, he'll love this. If not, steer clear. This one's playing for real.

After this we still need to go over the lineskip nonsense, memory maker, and some stuff to stick in your park bag, but I think you're more set than not.

This, and the subsequent by-ride discussions have been fantastic. You guys are awesome.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Agreed on Pirates of the Caribbean. My daughter is timid and was 6 when we went (she's now 8). She still talks about how that drop scared her. I think it's not so much the drop itself, but the fact that it's combined with a dark, kinda spooky environment.

This was my deal as a kid. The drop is nothing on its own, but the fact that it was in the dark and you knew it was coming, but weren't sure when is what freaked me out. Tower of Terror would have wrecked me at that age.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Gavok posted:

This was my deal as a kid. The drop is nothing on its own, but the fact that it was in the dark and you knew it was coming, but weren't sure when is what freaked me out. Tower of Terror would have wrecked me at that age.

It was the drop in the dark and the talking skull before that that always freaked me out on Pirates.

The only other things I remember scaring me at Disneyland as a kid were the abominable snowman on the Mattherhorn (but that was because the day camp counselor I was with made me go on the ride) and for some reason the Tron room on the Peoplemover.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Disney Destiny

The newest ship of DCL
Starts sailing (sometime) in 2025

HEROES AND VILLAINS THEME

There’s a great Instagram video with a lot of Easter eggs on what we might see on the ship.

That’s basically 3 DCL ships rolling out next year, with the Treasure this late December, and the Adventure out of Singapore sometime next year as well.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Anya posted:

Disney Destiny

The newest ship of DCL

There’s a great Instagram video with a lot of Easter eggs on what we might see on the ship.

That’s basically 3 DCL ships rolling out next year, with the Treasure this late December, and the Adventure out of Singapore sometime next year as well.

Now this could be just omission with plans to announce stuff later but a ship called Destiny with a light vs dark, heroes vs villains fans without Star Wars stuff seems a bit odd. I know Galaxy's Edge didn't exactly hit they way they thought but always thought they SW stuff on the cruises was popular.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Now this could be just omission with plans to announce stuff later but a ship called Destiny with a light vs dark, heroes vs villains fans without Star Wars stuff seems a bit odd. I know Galaxy's Edge didn't exactly hit they way they thought but always thought they SW stuff on the cruises was popular.

Probably pushing Marvel because that’s struggling and they can’t seem to figure out an attraction that makes people care outside of GotG.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I am happy to have more villains across more IP though - give me some deep cut baddies plz

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Make a bar called The Dip Factory

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

Make a bar called The Dip Factory
Oh man, make it look like a speakeasy and have animatronic Toons being lowered into different barrels at different intervals, and theme all the drinks like you're drinking distilled Toon. That'd be cool as hell.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Anya posted:

I am happy to have more villains across more IP though - give me some deep cut baddies plz

Seriously.

You’re telling me we can have Sid from Toy Story at Halloween and Asajj Ventress at Star Wars weekends, but they can’t repurpose a princess CM to be Cassandra from Tangled or have some tubby guy as Ratigan from Mouse Detective?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Anya posted:

Disney Destiny

The newest ship of DCL

I'm just excited to see that Hercules is going to be back at sea for the first time since the stage show was replaced. But I have no doubt there's going to be some Star Wars activation and probably a heavy dose of Marvel thrown in, too.

Although I guess this also means that since the keel is already lain, it'll be the next class of ship before we see some of the bigger gripes corrected. Mainly the layout of the adult's only Quiet Cove and elevator banks.

Lastly, I can't wait to see what this means for the Dream/Fantasy and where they'll be positioned moving forward.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Doronin posted:

Lastly, I can't wait to see what this means for the Dream/Fantasy and where they'll be positioned moving forward.

Lusitania movie with the largest practical effect ever on film.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Rohde is back in the house.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That yeti ain't gonna fix itself.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
We getting Yeti 2: Bruno Boogaloo

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rumor is he’s guest lecturing newer Imagineers

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This makes me really happy as I feel that he is a true visionary of theme park design. Maybe they woke up and realized "hmm maybe the fans are right and a tropical Moana thing shouldn't be in the center of Epcot".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Good thing it's just a small side thing then.

Also, get all this Disney out of my Disney park :goonsay:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
yeah well

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Good thing it's just a small side thing then.

Also, get all this Disney out of my Disney park :goonsay:

:colbert: just the movie IPs.

except for Mexico.

I still want that goddamn Coco boat ride so much.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh great now Disney is stealing Gritty valor

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:colbert: just the movie IPs.

except for Mexico.

I still want that goddamn Coco boat ride so much.

I just want them to have a balance of IP and original experiences like they used to do, and also create and place attractions where they fit thematically to maintain the thematic purpose of each park.

I'm excited for the upcoming Test Track makeover since it'll be the first non-IP thing WDW has done since... the last Test Track makeover in 2012. Also anything would be an improvement over the current version.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Disney and DeSantis have settled.

https://apnews.com/article/disney-florida-ron-desantis-settlement-91040178ad4708939e621dd57bc5e494

https://www.cheddar.com/media/maybe-dont-take-on-disney-ron-settlement-reached-between-florida-and-the-famed-theme-park/

Under the terms of Wednesday's settlement agreement, Disney lets stand a determination by the board of DeSantis-appointees that the comprehensive plan approved by the Disney supporters before the takeover are null and void. Disney also agrees that a development agreement and restrictive covenants passed before the takeover are also not valid, according to the settlement terms.

Instead, a comprehensive plan from 2020 will be used with the new board able to make changes to it, and the agreement suggests Disney and the new board will negotiate a new development agreement in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I just want them to have a balance of IP and original experiences like they used to do, and also create and place attractions where they fit thematically to maintain the thematic purpose of each park.
I've heard the first half of this before, and it baffles me every time. When were they doing this balance, exactly? They opened with a slate of IP rides. They put Disney right there in the name for a reason. The parks exist to promote the IP and the IP exists to drive visitors to the park and it has always been thus. (As for fitting thematically, Moana fits just fine with EPCOT's environmentalism theme?)

Silly Burrito posted:

Disney and DeSantis have settled.
Is this a win? The articles spin it as a win but it seems like a capitulation to me; DeSantis' hand-picked board of fascists remains in control and seems to have been recognized as legitimate.