Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

Would Jurassic Park not count for that, or does it have to be a Spielberg originated IP and in the specific park rather than in the resorts in general?

The latter.

e: like seriously, Universal would love to rip it out and stick some Dreamworks poo poo in there, but they would literally end up spending millions in court. They’re just waiting for him to kick off so they can negotiate with whoever gets his stuff.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Akileese posted:

We don't know how long it'll be down but we know Intamin is involved and it was testing this morning.

So this is probably an “out of an abundance of caution” closure, rather than something super important is busted.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I've done Fury when it was like 48 and drizzling. That was really not fun, do not recommend.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

So it'd just be a repeat of opening day of Universal Studios Florida then. poo poo, their signature ride closed after opening day and didn't open again for over a year.

Like I said, this is specifically what they’re trying to avoid, and is the reason basically every ride system except for the potter ride is a tested and known good system from a manufacturer with a good track record (well, except for the HTTYD coaster, it’s the same system as Hagrid so it’ll be perpetually broken for the first four months too)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm assuming if I buy a UOAP that it will absolutely not include Epic Universe next year?

Safe assumption. They haven’t even committed to an opening date, there’s no way they put EU in the contract.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yeah, I remember doing Epcot at like 10 and that was rough on everybody. People are not overstating just how much walking it is.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also, bear in mind that Florida is already hot as gently caress in May and it will probably rain at some point during the day, so be prepared for both of those things.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I just got around to watching the video of the land Universal bought in GB and holy poo poo it's perfect space for a theme park resort. Probably one park, three hotels and some shopping.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

smackfu posted:

I’m just shocked that video isn’t over an hour long.

Nah, his videos are usually in the 20-30 minute range. It’s Defunctland that does the hour+ videos.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
lol I do that on an average workday

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Definitely. I think one of the most common mistakes people make regarding bringing kids to Disney, especially MK, is to over-hype them up promising all kinds of cool stuff while not mentally preparing them for the negatives. Inform them that there will be a lot of people, we're going to do fun things but you have to be patient and wait in lines to do them, and that you may not get to do everything you want to do. Going in with this mindset makes for a better day at the parks for everyone.

Personally, I would opt for a family day at Epcot. It will be more chill than your Magic Kingdom day. There's still a few thrill rides, lots of restaurants to choose from, lots of characters to meet, a good fireworks show at closing, etc. 6 just seems a little young still to separate for a few more thrill rides, plus the lines at Hollywood Studios get really crazy. If they were like 10+ it might be a different story.

Yeah, Epcot is probably the better bet if you want a chill day. DHS is basically queue to do anything, Epcot has a lot more where you can just wander around and look at stuff. MK will definitely be a "stand in line for a lot of the day" park.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone kind of dismissed Animal Kingdom early, but for kids that age it may be more entertaining to see the animals than architecture based on stuff they have no context for.

I think that's mostly because AK is your third or fourth gate most of the time. If you only have two days, the other parks are better options for the money.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

They don't really give a gently caress about costumes in HS at all it seems. For May the 4th you will probably be overlapping with the organised lightsaber meetups so people will be breaking the rules and showing up in full armour, so as long as you carry your helmet when not posing for photos you'll be fine.

This is indeed the case, unless they arbitrarily decide to change the enforcement (unlikely, because it would cause a loving riot and nobody has done anything stupid… yet)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Bear in mind this very much does *not* apply to DLR, where they will not even let your rear end in the park if they think you are in some kind of costume.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Kennywood is a bucket list park for me, I just haven't figured out an opportunity yet.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Anya posted:

I have no real Star Wars obsession but I enjoy that marketplace area between Ronto and Docking Bay and I agree, it’s a great place to chill and people watch.

I think it’s more fun to kill time there than Avengers Campus, which is so bland to me.

Avengers Campus is like DCA 1.0.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aphrodite posted:

It wasn't in your face because it was the 1980s and the only form of media back then was pigeon delivered letters and television that only had one color.

The internet existed then.

I don’t mind IP lands with overpriced merch, it’s how companies justify building cool poo poo. My problem is when they don’t build cool poo poo, and we get Gringotts, which is a trash ride wrapped in good themeing.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Hutzpah posted:

Finally nearing 60 days out from our Disney trip. Since Epcot will be the first day, reservations will open up there first. Are there any food reservations that are 'a must' or recommended? I've asked a few questions in the past few weeks but it'll be me, my wife, and our 4 and 6 year old.

Has anyone does the reserved meal during fireworks? Seems like it might be worthwhile, if expensive.

Do not do fireworks meals if you plan to be up early the next day, especially on day 1 with small children.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Just don’t forget the drat ponchos because it rains in Florida like 300 days a year and Disney charges through the nose for them.

Unless you’re like me and don’t give a drat about getting soaked because it’s park of the theme park experience imo.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Now this could be just omission with plans to announce stuff later but a ship called Destiny with a light vs dark, heroes vs villains fans without Star Wars stuff seems a bit odd. I know Galaxy's Edge didn't exactly hit they way they thought but always thought they SW stuff on the cruises was popular.

Probably pushing Marvel because that’s struggling and they can’t seem to figure out an attraction that makes people care outside of GotG.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I offer the flip side: Disney has bought into a crapload of really popular IP in the last 20 years and are still capitalizing on it, because they have to compete with a certain boy wizard for audience.

Proper theme park rides cost a poo poo load to design and build, why take the risk on something unproven with audiences when there’s so much stuff in the catalog they can stick in a big air conditioned box?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

alg posted:

idk man, everyone saying Disney has to get their poo poo together for Epic Universe, that looks, totally forgettable to me. Just about the only thing there that I am interested in is Nintendo World, which could easily be a one and done thing based on how small it is

HTTYD is literally the kiddieland of the park. Monsters land is going to be cool, Starfall Racers is a ginormous Mack ride so that’s going to be both awesome and actually reliable, and while Potter is getting a bit stale the ride system they’re purportedly using should be pretty neat (if it doesn’t pull a Jaws 1.0).

Plus the fountain show should be neat, especially considering it’s not a retrofit like most theme park fountain shows are.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
If you want to see animals, go to the zoo.

As far as Disney, when? It varies wildly, so knowing a specific date would be useful.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Roadie posted:

If you want to meet animals and the ethical concerns of captive dolphins don't bother you, go to Discovery Cove (same parent company, much better presentation, less depressed animals because they only have to deal with humans and not humans+ride noise). SeaWorld itself has actively put effort into de-emphasizing all the live animal stuff since Blackfish came out, and at this point they're basically just waiting for the orcas to die as they build enough rides and attractions to finally shutter the zoo elements.

Discovery Cove is actually okay. As an analogy, you’re petting the doggies, not watching them fight.

They have to treat their animals with compassion, because their animals interact with untrained strangers on a daily basis.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Sivart13 posted:

I'm not sure they're really gonna replace the cars or they just got tired of this guy's emails.

"a roadmap" for "the next few years" ? should include a bulldozer to get rid of the whole thing tbh

If I had to speculate (and just to be clear, this is pure speculation) the problem they’re running into is that any motor with enough torque to move the ride vehicles can also move them fast enough to make them unsafe.

Sure, you can install limiters and safety cutoffs, but all of that can be bypassed if you have half an idea of what you’re doing.

And recorded on camera and posted to YouTube.

A leaf blower engine has an upper limit.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Heard a rumor that this HHN might have 12 houses. The last few years have had 10. If true that's really insane.

Nope, official announcement says ten houses and five zones.

Realistically, they’d probably up it to increase capacity if they could, but there’s two problems: creative now has to design, build, and detail two more houses, and frankly there’s just nowhere to put them and still have space for queue lines without clogging up the main walkways even more.

You gotta keep in mind, they may keep some of the big set pieces when they reuse a house year-to-year, but otherwise everything has to get rebuilt each year since those houses take a beating, especially the outdoor ones.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yeah, they closed disaster back when for exactly the same reason. The reality is they’ll never put a house in an active show building, they’d have to drop an attraction for basically the entire summer season to build it out.

e: they could use the old nick/bmg soundstages or part of it, I dunno how much room Grinchmas takes up or if they’ll even do that this year. Definitely room for two houses in there if it’s actually empty and there’s probably enough room to build at least one queue.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 6, 2024

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Zero One posted:

Maybe once Epic opens they can afford to expand HHN across both IOA and Studios.

nope, IOA becomes a construction zone, literally pack up the tools and move down the street.

if they move HHN anywhere, it'll be EU in a few years because there's loads of expansion pads they can build semipermanent structures on.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Akileese posted:

Studios will be a construction zone before IOA does. That park needs a lot of work and a lot of love.

The reason I say IOA is because Lost Continent is literally a giant Coca-Cola stand, a spitting fountain, and a mediocre restaurant that was last good fifteen years ago. They’re clearly preparing to do something with it. (Zelda)

In studios, the next big attraction will be in Hollywood where the makeup show was because the employee building occupies the space right behind it and afaik all of that is going to the ginormous new building at EU, likely before the end of the year.

Also worth noting is there’s a ton of backstage space behind LC, including what is presumably the admin building for one if not both parks.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

CapnAndy posted:

Did they close that gloriously cheesy walk-through show?

oh no my trusted vizier LORD MALEVOLOUS betrayed me, how unforseeable

Yup.

e: I think they genuinely wanted another year or two out of it, but it had hit EOL and it was broken enough that there was no point in fixing something they’re already gonna knock down.

Which I agree with.

They should leave whoever thought that up in the building when the shovels start.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 7, 2024

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Nice!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
It's a Mack, they overengineer to begin with and also had a couple years of covid to do it again.

It's fine.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Tbh the only Disney vlogging channels I can stand on a regular basis are DFB and Expedition Theme Park, and the latter isn’t really Disney centric these days.

Of course Defunctland is great, but that’s not a vlog, nor is it Disney exclusive.

e: oh, and Bright Sun Travels, his videos are quite tolerable and informative.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

couldcareless posted:

RIP Josh. I know he was a blogger and not a vlogger, but what a serious loss.

Who are you talking about?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Cedar Fair generally doesn't operate the Windseeker rides until they get fully staffed for the summer, which is three weeks away or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Anya posted:

Happy birthday Hollywood Studios :cheers:

Are we counting from when it opened, or from when there was more attractions than you could count on a single hand?