Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While the fan in me say "Day of shopping? PFFT" I do agree that's a solid plan.

If you do try to cram in Animal Kingdom into a day, I recommend squeezing it in first in the morning, since the cool things to do there tend to get long lines later in the day.

And stop by the Earl of Sandwich if you do go downtown. Tasty sandwich and decent price.

We mainly missed AK last time. It was pouring rain so all we did was the Safari and came back to the hotel. I'd like to see the Dinosaur ride when we go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I could switch hotels feasibly, yes, but I had chosen AoA to try it out. It looks like a cool colorful fun resort, and I know it's still got that New Resort smell, but I can't see the sense in telling certain guests "Oh no, you don' qualify."

I mean, I'd even still be paying money because I'd pay the difference to upgrade from the Value Resort "Quick Service" plan to a Regular plan. TAKE MY MONEY, DISNEY. I SWEAR, I WANT YOU TO!

If they can still fill those specific rooms to full capacity, there's no real need to give them a discount. Although you figure that how much money would they lose in actual foodstuffs ($10, maybe $15 a day for the quick service?) versus how happy/loyal you'd make clients by giving them this (not to mention that now that the money is "saved", that's just more for souvenirs), it would seem to be a no-brainer.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cuatal posted:

Hey Braksgirl how can I get in touch with you about planning a vacation? I don't have PMs :(

Whodatmouse.com gets you to her Facebook site.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

Yes, there are three or four quick service between the two. Also the ice cream joint there is amazing! EDIT: Peaches and Cream is the name.

Yeah, if you get the Kitchen Sink, be sure to come hungry.

Everyone raves about their burgers. I found them ok, but nothing super special.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Happitoo posted:

Magic Band update - day 2

The magic band usage went 100% smooth today! Park entry is really easy if you know what to do. You put the Mickey on the band on the Mickey on the pillar, touch your finger to the scanner, bam, you're in.

FP+ is equally easy. Touch to the pillar. If it turns green, you're good to go.

Only got to use 2 of the 3 FP+ I had today as my daughter had a meltdown waiting for the Barnstormer. Apparently that ride scares the crap out of her. Her favourite ride today, Tower of Terror. She walked off screaming how she didn't like it. Couple hours later, favourite ride. Same with Dinosaur. Rode the whole ride with her eyes covered. 20 min. later, wants to do it again.

And if you're keeping track, yes we visited 3 parks in 1 day. My daughter grew tired of animal kingdom early due to lack of rides. Her obsession with Tower of Terror because she is now big enough to ride it took us to HS solely for that. Then off to Magic Kingdom to use some FP+ in New Fantasyland.

Enchanted Tales with Belle is amazing. My daughter got to be The Beast which was super cute. I got to be a suit of armor. Waiting in line for it is bullshit though. FP+ or nothing. Screw consistent 60 minute waits.

Little Mermaid ride was cute too. One of the Ariel animatronics had a gimp eye though, so that was kind of creepy.

Didn't get to use my 3rd FP+ (Dumbo) due to previously mentioned meltdown. We'll see how riding standby tomorrow goes.

Tomorrow we check out the new fairy tale hall.

Just rode the Ariel ride last night and I agree, the animatronics are very well done. We only made it to Tomorrowland and a bit of Adventureland, even after staying until 1 am.

Fast pass wristbands are neat, but the Android app was a bit buggy. Will try with some Animal Kingdom rides today.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Wylie posted:

One thing that I would change about the OP (which is otherwise fantastic) is the recommendation about taking Disney transportation everywhere.

Yes, the monorails are great, and if you're at a monorail resort, then by all means use them.

But if you're at a Value or Moderate resort, and you have a car available to you, then you're probably better off, timewise, driving from your hotel to a theme park over taking the buses. Because you're a Disney Guest™, you don't have to pay the $10 parking fee at the theme park gate (they'll wave you right through when they see your resort parking pass in your front window), and you can catch a tram from wherever you end up parking to the front gate.

Disney does a generally good job moving their buses around, but you can still end up waiting a good 15-20 minutes or more for the next bus to show up if you're unlucky. And there's nothing that makes you more irrationally angry than to see three consecutive buses show up going to a park you don't want to go to while you're waiting for the one that goes to yours.

I can understand that line of thought, but when you're tired and hot, and carrying around 3 kids, who wants to get them to a tram station to get all strapped into the car, buckle up and fight traffic, then drive around the hotel lot looking for a close spot? Gimme the bus system any day.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Doronin posted:

When it rains I usually go straight to Carousel of Progress and take a nap.

It's a great big beautiful tomorrow....to sleep right though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

They have a smaller version of the Kitchen Sink that you can get that is more or less for one or two people. Less ice cream, not a can of whipped cream and less candies and cookies and junk and stuff, but it comes in a collectable sink designed to look like Mickey's red pants.

That seems slightly weird to be eating cream out of Mickey's pants.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skipdogg posted:

Monorail access is expensive. I really want to be on the rail when we go next year but 3 adults 2 kids prices me out of the deluxe resorts. We're probably staying at the family suites at Art of Animation. I might try to stretch for monorail though as granny is going to need a scooter to get around. She's over 60 and her knees are shot. I'm guessing it'll be several times easier to deal with a scooter on the rail instead of the busses.

Have to admit, the family suites at the Art of Animation are well worth it, transportation concerns aside. You get your own room that can have the door closed while the kids get the couch bed and the magic folding dinner table bed. Plus, two bathrooms! I honestly think I'd rather stay there next time we go, but I may try the Poly for a night or two just to see what the fuss is about. I enjoyed the AoA suite more than the Coronado room for my first trip.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Hopefully, it won't be too bad, but there's pretty much nothing available in the discounts.

That's not to say that it's like jam packed because there's a bunch of rack rate rooms available. They're just running out of discount rooms. I've been hearing for awhile that Disney is trying to wean the public off discounts and I think they're doing just that.

Well, they are hurting for money, obviously.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Disboards is the bane of my existence. They come to me and say "So so at Disboards said that such and such impossible thing is happening. Get me tickets!" Or "I want Donald Duck to come to my room and have a three way with me and my husband. A Disboards person said you can pay extra and get that. Get that set up for me."

No. Just no. Those people are crazy town banana pants.

Well it can't be that hard. He's already running around with no pants on.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Old Man Pants posted:

While this is an entertaining ride/game I'll never understand the craze. I read guides saying you should literally run to this ride when the park opens if you want to ride it. We got there when the park opened, walked, and by the time we got there estimated wait time was 70 minutes. Madness I say.

True. I prefer the MK Buzz Lightyear ride to the Toy Story one. At least you can make the Buzz Lightyear spin constantly as a mini-ride while shooting. One time we got stuck on the tracks for five minutes. We just kept spinning. :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fingerpaint posted:

Disney Cruises are phenomenal trips, to such an extent that I personally feel that they are not great first cruises. The service, ships, and cabins are so far above industry standard that it is difficult to adjust to another large ship experience. Of course, you'll have a great time. I took my family on one in August, also a Caribbean cruise. Make sure to sign up for the tours they offer on board. I've worked in the ship design business for nearly twenty years, and even I learned some interesting stuff.

This is what Braksgirl keeps telling me. I've only been on two Carnival cruises and I enjoyed those. If I do the Disney one, I might be spoiled for life.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Doronin posted:

Just bank on that being the case. I had only been on Carnival (3x) before my first Disney cruise, and now I won't sail anything else.

Off topic sidenote: Christ I'm glad the Saints are off this week.

And looking forward to Mark Ingram coming back. Who knew?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm making horrible noises at all of you and you have absolutely no idea because you're all so dead on.

At least if it'd been stupid rear end Wreck It Ralph I could play the dumb little game and they could have rethemed tomorrowland speedway (or whatever it's currently called) with the little candy go-karts.

When we went last year, I liked the revamp of Winnie the Pooh's meet and greet into Game Central Station for Ralph and Vanellope. Lots of cool little mentions of video game history on the signs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

It has all been torn down and replaced with things from Frozen. I would not be surprised if they tore down Cinderella's Castle to the studs and turned it into the castle from the movie.

Well that stinks, but it's predictable.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

I'm making Frozen-overload jokes, too, but remember that one of the biggest reasons Disneyland was built was to promote Disney's movies. The Mouse is going balls to the wall on Frozen until the next big thing comes along. Also one of the reasons there will (very sadly) never be another Up or Wall-e. The two best films Pixar ever made are just not marketable from a merch standpoint.

Edit: see: Planes. And Planes 2, Planes 3, Planes 4...

Good luck finding decent Wreck It Ralph merch. We tried last year (admittedly a year later than the release) and found absolutely nothing save a few sellers on Amazon. Even Downtown Disney and the parks had nothing at all. I just wanted a t-shirt. :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I would throw a bag of kittens down a flighto of never-ending stairs for a plush of Wall-E and Eva.

I was walking through Toys R Us and saw this today.

Keep the kittens.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Coronado had a pretty nice slide that a 4-5 year old would enjoy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Found the photo.

Holy crap. I don't see how you can enjoy yourself at all in that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

You miss the Spring break crowds and get there right before summer break before the real brutal heat arrives.

Still relatively toasty though, but yeah.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

Of course. Hell it was 82 degrees today.

True. This winter sucks so far. I might have to cut my grass this month if it ever stops raining.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

What gets me about the Disneyland measles thing is that the vocal Disney haters now think they're terribly clever saying "Hur hur look, Disney makes people sick hur hur", when in actuality, if morons would start vaccinating their petri dishes, this could have been avoided.

To be fair, Disney does hurt me in my wallet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

Bam:

This was in 2009, so I doubt this kid is Patient Zero.

Taste the Disney magic!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

Have you caught any of them licking the ladle in the mashed potatoes at the Golden Corral buffet then sneeze on it before putting it back it?

Nope, but Braksgirl does not like Golden Corral at all.

The thought of the chocolate fountain at GC makes her shudder. If that's what happened to your wife, I completely understand how it could happen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm beginning to think there is no good time at all to go to Disney. Crowds, crowds everywhere.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LoG posted:

You people are crazy if you don't get the dining plan. It pays for itself in like the first day.

I think when we went last, I calculated it to be around $56 per person per day. My 7,4, & 2 year old kids didn't come close to eating that much worth of food and snacks per day. Even if we hadn't went to Target to get basic breakfast foods (milk, cereal, pop tarts), choosing the dining plan would have had us spend way more money than we needed to.

We ate what we wanted to when we wanted to and there were no worries that we were "wasting" our dining plan choices.

But.. my mom and sister didn't get it either and they said that they would've rather had it so they didn't have to think about food prices even though it was still cheaper for them. I don't think they realized that you could use your magic band to pay just as easily as you could with the dining plan. They said that they would get it next time no matter what for peace of mind.

So.... to each his/her own for the dining plan. :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Happitoo posted:

I never joke about castle suite anal sex.

It is a very serious topic.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fejsze posted:

I'm in the early stages of "hey, we should totes go to Disney World for a week in November" planning, and had a question about magicbands that someone might be able to answer for me.

Can you link each magicband to a separate credit card? Or is everything you use it on just charged to the room/default CC?

Also, anyone know how the free dining plan/room discounts and such work if we wanted to stay at a moderate resort for 5 nights, and spoil ourselves with a deluxe for 2?

This is as dictated by Braksgirl, who does not have her phone nearby:

Any charges made with a magic band go to a room. You can pay the charges with different cards but the magic bands don't actually charge your credit card, they charge the room.

You can get free dining on a split stay but be careful with the moderates. Port Orleans, Riverside and French Quarter are often excluded from free dining.

On a side note, Braksgirl got me a Carnival cruise for Christmas and we are taking it this weekend. We are on the ship now, and she keeps looking around going "This is nice but it's no Disney cruise." :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fejsze posted:

Aren't they also redoing the video entirely for Soarin'? Think I remember hearing that they're going to make it more like the old America The Beautiful, instead of California centric that they just copied from Anaheim.

Can't wait for the smells of flying over New Jersey.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nice, Toy Story is by far my favorite vigorous-jacking-off simulator.

Man, this puts that ride in a whole new uncomfortable light. :aaa:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Exactly. Surely no one here thinks WDW food is bargain priced.

I can get a cup of water for free. :colbert:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skipdogg posted:

Disney did something strange to my wife.

Preach on, brother.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Old Man Pants posted:

Can we ban this combo of words from the thread? :lol:

I actually like the ride. I know, I know, but it's a cool ride for 11 minutes getting away from the Florida heat. Could be much worse.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Abu Dave posted:

Braksgirl what is your vacation planning website? Kicking around the idea of a proper "trip planning" in December!

You can reach her at http://whodatmouse.com (that redirects to her Facebook page) or PM her. She's snoozin' right now. :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

Report and photos coming soon (still catching up on a week of missed work), but for now there's this...

Remember what I said about Magic Bands being very, very bad? Very bad. This is not for the room or park tickets; it's just food, drink and souvenirs. Very bad.

Dole whips and turkey legs ain't cheap.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

gently caress yes I'll take two please..

The Dark Fried – Chicken and Darth Vader waffles served with maple syrup and sweet barbecue sauce

I am altering my waistline. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl in 1998 posted:

I saw Beanie Babies at Target yesterday. $5 a pop for tiny stuffed animals? Yeah, I'll take a pass.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

SWW weekend 2.. got two of the weekly collectors posters, mission accomplished.

Park is crowded but expected being the holiday weekend. MK paling lot looked really busy.

Demon, I think you could make a nice little side goon or Ebay business doing this. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

Here in Orlando its $125 peak (holidays & summer), $105 non-peak. Problem is the parks are generally overcrowded and raising the price does nothing as they are already doing it multiple times during the year. They have not hit the pain point where people say 'enough' and won't pay the ticket price so they will continue to push the boundary. You have people that come over from overseas where money is not an object to them so the average person will be relegated to non-peak season to visit the park. We all know Disney does not give one single gently caress about anyone so long as the register continues to chime.

Build more Disney parks. I want to go to Disney Shreveport.