Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
https://blogmickey.com/2023/12/new-zootopia-ride-closed-after-child-reportedly-jumps-from-vehicle-gets-run-over/

Holy poo poo. I imagine this will result in some changes in restraints on similar rides (It uses a lapbar like Runaway Railway and Ratatouillie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I saw a video that I think is down now but it didn't show the kid getting touched by the cars, but did show him just casually strolling through the ride path while the cars veer around him. As a former ride operator, it made my heart sink.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I don't have any of my old MagicBands because they got lost when I moved north for a spell, so now I just use my phone and it's super easy. I don't even need to open the Wallet app usually (although sometimes the sensors aren't as good so I do)

I do want a MB+ Just to play the bounty hunter stuff in Galaxy's Edge though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Dren posted:

Make sure you play at a time when it is not brutally hot. Nothing worse than running all around Galaxy's Edge frustrated you can't find the symbol on a door on top of being overheated.

I do have a benefit of having my own landspeeder* so I don't have to run around on foot.

*300 dollar used scooter I thrifted off the facebook marketplace that looks kind of like the weird hotrod speeders in Book of Boba Fett

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

god drat disney better catch up and universal better stop paying that bigot so I can go to celestial park

JK Rowling got bought out of her contract with Universal by WB a while back, so technically they do not pay her anymore. It's one of the reason they've been able to do things in Wizarding World they previously were not allowed to do (like Halloween Horror Nights stuff)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I guess that's their pivot from the Paris idea since nobody cares about Fantastic Beasts.

Is this supposed to be internally connected to the other parks in any way, or external gates only?

The land itself is still Wizarding Paris, and you will transport via Floo Powder to the UK Ministry for the main attraction. It's a mess because they finalized plans and started construction before WB said "Hey these films are rear end and arent' doing well, let's pull the plug"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hazo posted:

Wait so she’s not getting paid for her role as an executive on the Harry Potter series, or anything else HP-related? How’s that work? I really don’t want a cent of my money going to that shithead.

What was referring to was just Universal parks she is still getting paid to do movies/tv/merch and what have you.

As for a source I can’t really say it’s from someone who works Universal corporate who told me that’s why they finally allowed Horror Nights to do a Wizarding World thing this past year was because she has no say in the parks anymore.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

It's nice to see them in retreat from Fantastic Beasts because, y'know, gently caress the wizarding world but gently caress that franchise in particular, but also a hearty lol at whoever is having to put a modern-day government building in England and 1920s France in the same land and make it make any sort of sense, let alone be tonally consistent. Good luck, buddy.

Also no walk-through renders or even concept art of anything but the hub world means we don't know if they're doing full immersion on the lands, except for Nintendo World because we've already seen that. It's the new paradigm so I'd expect it, but who knows? And seriously, how are they gonna pull off a 70 year timeskip and two different countries?

the entire land itself is all 1920's Wizarding Paris.

You use the Floo network to go from Paris to the UK Ministry of Magic, so internally that makes sense. The whole time shift is where it gets wildly stupid.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. An entire park full of new concept rides that are down all the time would be a PR disaster.

So it'd just be a repeat of opening day of Universal Studios Florida then. poo poo, their signature ride closed after opening day and didn't open again for over a year.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hazo posted:

The fish and chips at both Cooke’s and Yorkshire are absolutely outstanding, at least the way I like fish and chips. Last time I was there it looked like they put an entire fried cod on top of my basket.

If you’re at Cooke’s you should be eating a Hog in a Box instead though.

So I do like the fish at both, the chips at Yorkshire are just incredible. It's now an Epcot tradition to stop by and just get an order of chips. Best fries on property by a landslide.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Like I said, this is specifically what they’re trying to avoid, and is the reason basically every ride system except for the potter ride is a tested and known good system from a manufacturer with a good track record (well, except for the HTTYD coaster, it’s the same system as Hagrid so it’ll be perpetually broken for the first four months too)

I heard the Potter ride's base ride system is essentially the same as Spider-Man and Transformers, and as being equated to the Bejing Jurassic World ride where the ride system is a tried and true one, but the ride around it throws a bunch of new poo poo at the wall (Like the moving I-Rex that chases you in the Jurassic World)

The HTTYD coaster being a Hagrid-esq ride seems short sighted but I guess they don't want to copy Disney and do a Flight of Passage style thing

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

While it is not even close to being a done deal, I am angling to be a Cast Member again in a role that can actually accommodate my lovely joints, working at guest service call center behind Port Orleans.. I think I aced the second interview, I just need to wait until the interview process is over to find out

Having a solid job again is great, but also gimme those sweet sweet main gate passes please.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hazo posted:

Yeah I know they apocryphal story of Walt and the trash cans. I meant more of how can you identify the management squad or the plainclothes security so easily.

Managers will almost always have a pair of pickers/grabbers for trash, and are usually in some form of business formal outfit (Sometimes they even have polos that say *Insert Park Here* Operations Management, or rain jackets with the park name and logo)

Plain clothes security will be wearing like, the most stereotypical touristy attire, and have a Bluetooth headset in one ear. They typically walk in a set path of the area they are watching over, so I often refer to them as the NPCs of Disney World.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Found out today I am gonna be a cast member again. Not in the parks this time, but I get that sweet blue ID back in my life and all the benefits that come with it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Anya posted:

Disney Destiny

The newest ship of DCL
Starts sailing (sometime) in 2025

HEROES AND VILLAINS THEME

There’s a great Instagram video with a lot of Easter eggs on what we might see on the ship.

That’s basically 3 DCL ships rolling out next year, with the Treasure this late December, and the Adventure out of Singapore sometime next year as well.

Now this could be just omission with plans to announce stuff later but a ship called Destiny with a light vs dark, heroes vs villains fans without Star Wars stuff seems a bit odd. I know Galaxy's Edge didn't exactly hit they way they thought but always thought they SW stuff on the cruises was popular.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

"Hello children, no one actually likes Frozen. Get it together." will go over so great in the middle of a hot crowded theme park with a small child lmao

CapnAndy posted:

And I still don't know when this golden age of non-IP rides being developed was. Late 80s-mid 90s has the biggest cluster I could find. Is it that?

Epcot was entirely non-IP when it opened, and stayed that way ridewise for a good long while. I think Nemo was the first IP ride in the park, which opened in 2007. Of course now they put IP where they can in that park but 1982 to 2007 is a pretty big time frame for non-IP attractions. (It's easy to think of Figment as an IP because he's been around forever and is so popular, but I wouldn't count him as one)

MGM/Hollywood Studios is a park designed for IP so the closest you'll get to non-IP Is Great Movie Ride which is chock full of IPs.

AK really only had Dinosaur and Tough to be a Bug when it opened, and Dinosaur was at the time a very loose IP ride. (it later added stuff in Camp Minnie Mickey and Planet Watch, but when it opened it was a fairly original park)

MK is a good mix but it would be nice to see them add something non-IP to the park again.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 28, 2024

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Peltz was an avatar for Ike Perlmutter, the former Marvel chief who only wanted white men to be in their movies and loved penny-pinching to a ridiculous degree, with the obvious exception of all the money he can give to Trump.

Makes sense a comic company would be ran by a cartoon villain.

A friend of mine is someone who used to work for a high profile film site and was sent to press junkets and apparently the Marvel ones were so cheap because of Perlmutter. The junkets are usually to butter up citics and get them to like your film, but he was apparently servicing them half a Subway sandwich and a small bag of chips like a school outing. Pinching Pennies was his second favorite thing besides hating black people and women. He's mad that he got booted out of Marvel by Iger and Feige and roped Peltz in to get back into the company. Glad they fell flat on their face.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I could see them using Epic to do a family friendly Halloween Party similar to Disneys, since there is far more kid friendly stuff going on (minus Dark Universe)

I don't think we'll ever see HHN go to another park besides Studios because it's just a logistical nightmare. Studios itself is becoming a bit of a nightmare, but it seems like they might build more Sprung Tents to make up for it. I hope if they do that they create a portal entrance to that area and let you come and go as you please like Hollywood with the backlot, because constantly going out that long-rear end exit to ET is a PAIN IN THE rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

:wrong:

Space Mountain will be a biopic about Tom Morrow.

Finally we'll know why they keep paging him.