Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Managers dress nicer than most people at a theme park. There can be a few on Wednesdays with a bunch of nervous people trying to dress nice as part of the weekly "Step Into The Magic" orientation where they take new hires into the park (remember a decent number of people who work at these places have never been as a visitor and are seeing it for the first time, so giving them a field trip style visit lets them take it in and see what the "ideal" is supposed to be like.)

at this point if I see management that's just walking at a normal pace, not the "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo" fast walk, I'll say hi and tell them how great everything is. All of them seem to be happy that someone actually said something good instead of complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Kennywood is a bucket list park for me, I just haven't figured out an opportunity yet.

It's worth it. Next time I'm near it, I need to go. I emailed them about service dog info and they were very fast to provide it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Star Tours is mid. I don't get the love for it

this is a post of someone who has never been the rebel spy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hadji murad posted:

What’s the longest wait for a paid ride? We want to get on Beauty and Beast without waiting for 3 hours.

it just depends on the day, friend. every day is going to have a different wait time and a different line. Even on a good day you're probably looking at a pretty long wait for BATB though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Even when you pay extra? Sorry I haven’t mentioned the program, it’s Premier Access which is named something different than its US equivalent. (Not the free priority pass)

Not to mention Pooh’s Honey Hut and Big Thunder being down for maintenance….

So, your wait will be shorter if you get Premier Access, but there isn't a guarantee on how long it will be. If the standby line is 3 hours, maybe PA's line is an hour instead. Or maybe it's four because the ride breaks down. It's really impossible to give you a definite number.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Yeah from rope drop.

The park has been open for 15 so far and the app is showing a 170 minute wait already.

I hope you're on that ride right now. When Flight of Passage was the new thing at WDW, they used to give 4-5 hour estimates when it was an hour-ish.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hutzpah posted:

Finally nearing 60 days out from our Disney trip. Since Epcot will be the first day, reservations will open up there first. Are there any food reservations that are 'a must' or recommended? I've asked a few questions in the past few weeks but it'll be me, my wife, and our 4 and 6 year old.

Has anyone does the reserved meal during fireworks? Seems like it might be worthwhile, if expensive.

I've never done the various fireworks dinners at Epcot. So that's one I can't recommend based on experience.

Epcot is so. full. of food. Man, it's just so much food. And it's all pretty drat good. Do you guys have any allergies or preferences with the kiddos? If not, I always send people to Garden Grill for breakfast. That sticky bun is so basic but it's such a nice way to wake up in the morning.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hadji murad posted:

35 minutes for Beauty and the Beast in and out. Because I’m park posting I’ll just say that we were all blown away.

That's a really outstanding time. I've heard it's fantastic and I'm glad y'all enjoyed it!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Upsidads posted:

As a veg eater they have nothing but hits for me

that chestnut gnocchi was the thing dreams were made of, but I agree with STK if someone wants a steak vs LC.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Good plans! And yeah, the fireworks are late for kids. Retreating to your hotel mid-afternoon for a nap is an option, as is just letting them pass out in the stroller.

Let's do a rundown on all the Magic Kingdom rides. Fair warning, there's a lot; MK has more rides than any other park by a wide margin.

We're gonna argue on some of these.

Adventureland
Enchanted Tiki Room - I ADORE the Tiki Room, but there is a part which is dark and has lots of loud thunder and things get a little threatening after this. There's no floor motion, but some kids do get scared of it because of this. Still has a happy ending though.
Pirates of the Caribbean - Until I was 23, I was scared of this drop. It lasts for literally a second, but I had to brace and freak out until it was over. 99.9% of the population will be fine. If you're cool with rider switch, I'd take your son on it first so you can experience it and report back to your spouse and daughter
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin - Dumbo reskin and you can see the entire experience from the ground. It's up to you how high or low you go until the very end, when the arms raise the carpets all the way up for a few rotations, then come on back down. I prefer Dumbo, too, but if the kids wanna do it, meh, do it.

Fantasyland

Enchanted Tales with Belle - Agreeing with Andy here, unless she's feeling very, very shy. There IS a bolt exit in this show, if you need it.
"it's a small world" - The only problem with small world is that it's 10-15 minutes long. If your daughter is feeling it, she'll probably be fine. Otherwise, it's a long ride.
Mickey's PhilharMagic - There's a water squirting portion that's triggered a few people I've been with in the past, but otherwise it's really cute.
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid - The one note I'll make here in disagreement is the time you may be waiting for this: I've seen 45 minute waits on this here and there. That said, I agree with everything else. It's a quick ride, it's pretty, and the little interactive crab game is pretty cute in the queue.

Liberty Square
Hall of Presidents - I love Hall of Presidents, but I also love historical stuff. If the kids love American Adventure, do Hall of Presidents, too.
Haunted Mansion - Adding on that there's a part in Haunted Mansion where the ride vehicle turns around (gently, but suddenly) and tips backwards. Spooked the hell of out me when I was 9 or so. It's a brief part, but if your daughter is easily spooked by quick (if brief) movements, it might get her.

Tomorrowland
Astro Orbiter - Between the wait for this and how high it is and the spooky rear end elevator you have to get into to go on it, I'd just nix this unless the kids are absolutely pumped for it.
Carousel of Progress - Andy's wrong :p It's had things updated since 1993! Like the laptops in the last scene!!! But he's pretty much right. I'm a huge Carousel of Progress fan and I love it as much as the Enchanted Tiki Room. That said, it also has a dark scene with lots of slapping and clanking around, so if it gets her at the Tiki Room it might get her here, too. On the other hand, there's a cute animatronic dog in every single scene (Rover's a good, good boy) and if she likes dogs, that might be enough to distract her.
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor - My only note here is if your daughter would be upset by seeing any of you on the television screens mounted at the front of the room, you can request a CM that your bench is avoided by the cameras.
The Peoplemover - My only note here is that it's another 10-15 minute ride, like small world. If small world is too long for your daughter, peoplemover might be, too. Still, peoplemover is a good and peaceful little ride for everybody to take a rest.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BadSamaritan posted:

The Jungle Cruise jokes are legitimately funny I don’t even care if the kids liked the ride. (They did tho)

Like, you can tell which skippers are into it and which ones aren't and the ones who are are absolutely gods at the delivery of those tired old jokes that still crack me up every single time.

We did have a lousy ADA experience at Jungle Cruise one year and it was a dock person being too lazy to tie off the boat or put a ramp down so my service dog could safely disembark (woof, get it, am I funny now :smith: )like they're supposed to but it got sorted out and we haven't had the issue happen since. I imagine the dock person was just sick of dealing with all the bending and stooping, which I understand, but my dog isn't getting off a boat that's actively bobbing and the edge keeps slamming back and forth into the dock with a perfect foot/paw-sized gap.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Good thing it's just a small side thing then.

Also, get all this Disney out of my Disney park :goonsay:

:colbert: just the movie IPs.

except for Mexico.

I still want that goddamn Coco boat ride so much.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

There's also a large percentage of "this sort of thing was very popular at the time and basically an IP unto itself" (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Country Bears, even Hall of Presidents for bicentennial mania).

...because they were cloning Disneyland.

And I still don't know when this golden age of non-IP rides being developed was. Late 80s-mid 90s has the biggest cluster I could find. Is it that?

I don't think there ever was much of a "golden age" so much as I think some disney fan folks (me included) would like there to be some park-first (not necessarily exclusive) dark ride stuff, or what have you. It's been a long, long time since we got one. And there is the issue of the dilution of the original themeing of the non-MK WDW theme parks, too. I realize tons of people don't care, but it does make me a bit sad to see some Moana water thing at Epcot instead of something else.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It is possible to like Frozen Ever After and still miss Maelstrom, for what it's worth.

Also the France pavilion extension feels like it has a lot of wasted space and that confuses me. And the crepe window is bad.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

agreed on disney springs, agreed on the sit-down area, but man.

that crepe window.

blegh.

also did the pizza window ever re-open, it feels like it closed and never did?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I miss Maelstrom because nostalgia, and it was also such a hidden gem; nobody even knew there was a ride in Norway at all because why would there be?

Also Frozen is a straight middle of the road dark ride and the franchise deserves better than getting some animatronics grafted onto an already-existing track.

time to repurpose the matterhorn

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fartington Butts posted:

Anyone ever stayed at one of the two Hiltons next to Disney Springs? Seems like the fact that they use their own buses that run every half hour is a deal breaker.

It really just depends. I haven't personally stayed there, but I know people who have and they took the bus in the morning and ubered at night and it worked great.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It makes me insane that Sea World is AZA accredited. It shouldn't be.

Also, I believe swolfin is also included in the 60 days stuff regarding dining.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

What if instead of electric cars we just demolish it on both coasts and put something good there instead

I support thi-

Aphrodite posted:

Oh now you want to remove non-IP rides.

hahahaha this is really good

for real though, I feel like you could have a really great mickey races thing for kids outside of the parks, maybe over at ESPN, and do something very different with autopia/tomorrowland speedway. or, just inject them with Sugar Rush like they should have years ago. A quick sarah silverman (for all she sucks) overlay would give it a femme twist (which is extremely lacking in tomorrowland) and something different.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Hey Past Andy posting "What I'd do if I was in charge of the parks", you wanna take this one

Thanks Past Andy

The hardest agree though. I dunno if Wreck-It Ralph is still super relevant, but it's like the only racing game thing they have. Like they aren't gonna do Cars when they have Cars Land already.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I would like them to finally fix the Rocket Rods/People Mover in Disneyland.

Just get rid of it and remodel everything around it that is open.

Autopia is okay, but they already have Cars Test Track at California Adventure now.

But then again, I'm also wanting to see Innoventions instead of Star Wars Merch Store or Stark Expo.

Disneyland's Tomorrowland presents an enormous issue and basically needs to be shut down to be fixed. If they took it down for a year and absolutely kicked rear end fixing things up, doing something or other with the peoplemover, etc, it would do so very much for them.

Tomorrowland in general is a hard concept to keep up with, but both US parks have really, really ignored theirs for too long.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh that sure looks like the nemo subs are gonna die too

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cais posted:

Halloween Horror Nights dates confirmed, August 30th through November 4th.

http://spr.ly/6187w89c9

If I recall correctly, this is the first time HHN has broken the August barrier, although my friend's take: "They'll be down to like 25% of their performers by October."

I think it was only a matter of time before it spilled into August. I think I'm going to combo an Unmasking the Horror behind the scenes tour into an RIP Tour this year, but on different days. Learned my lesson last year.

I'd expect MNSSHP to pop up with dates within the next week, then. Which is great, because I am tapping my foot over here trying to see when I need to make a reservation for.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ACAB includes Judy Hopps.

I also would not be surprised if we got fuckin' Zootopia land, but I am hoping so very hard that they go full-blown villains poo poo instead. Please. Puh-leeeease.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

If it was up to me I'd kill Liberty Square because it is trading on bicentennial fervor that is 50 years out of date

Yeah, that's fine, I'd miss Liberty Tree Tavern but I'd live. I-

quote:

and send Hall of Presidents to the graveyard with it for being boring.

A sob sob sob sob sob :smith:

Can we instead send Hall of Presidents over to American Adventure, kill the current American Adventure show, and make Hall of Presidents the show in there instead? Can we do that? Because I'm game for that.

quote:

Haunted Mansion and Frontierland get turned into an Americana land, fill in Rivers of America except for the loop around Tom Sawyer island and it's got space to grow, which is great, you can do like a '60s-ish art deco pop area and put an Incredibles ride there eventually. Then you take the space between it's a small world and Haunted Mansion and build upwards, using the already spooky Haunted Mansion to transition into Dark Fantasyland.

I'm fine with everything except for Incredibles ride. That feels too Six Flags-y.

Honestly if they went full-blown Kingdom Hearts-type villains cult trying to ruin the magic kingdom I would be so incredibly down for that. Have a recruiting station for all the little children. Rehash it's good to be bad from MNSSHP. All that kind of fun stuff. As far as rides, I always assumed a couple of movie-based dark rides and a Maleficient themed dragon coaster that's like, Cosmic Rewind thriller level. But given how Maleficient dragon-themed things tend to catch on fire, I dunno.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I don't want Yzma's Poison, I want Kuzco's poison, the poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen specifically to kill Kuzco.

That's the poison I want.

If they don't actively make that three different drinks, I'd be so sad.

Hazo posted:

That’s just Fantasmic :v:

:3: I do love fantasmic

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The riverboat is IMO the biggest "hidden gem" of MK please don't IP it up

I try to convince people all the time to ride it because it's the best possible escape from the crowds and unwinding on a crowded afternoon. It's really soothing and relaxing. No one ever believes me and they always skip it.

If you talk to people with a service dog, please tell them to make sure to bring hearing protection for their dog on the boat. that horn is loud as gently caress and I was so glad we had mutt muffs with us.

That said, it really is a fantastic ride and it's a great way to just sit down for a while.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DAS is getting a work over, which is a good thing. DFB has some basic info but there will be more per disney in the next couple of weeks. The biggest bestest part is that they're extending DAS to 120 days instead of having to renew every 60.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

The kind of people who abuse that program are just gonna say all 12 people are immediate family

MDE should prevent that I'd imagine

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Would anyone know why fantasmic dining packages are not available at the sixty day our mark? Disney online help hasn’t been very well helpful lol.

Disneyland or Hollywood studios?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Hollywood Studios!

I'd say call Disney dining reservations right fast. It's entirely possible there's just a glitch.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I wish they'd release the not so scary dates :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

What happened to that nice blonde lady who I think used to be on AllEars but then she split off to do her own thing? The one who was super into min-maxing Genie+?

DFB really does have the market cornered though, even if they are a touch mommy-blog for my tastes.

Molly. All Ears has been owned by DFB for years and years though. They bought up a good handful of them. I used to work as an article writer for DFB and frequently wrote for Allears under the DFB banner. Pay was garbage and it was absolute chaos but it was a lot of fun.

Ear to Ear Magic is absolutely the worst rear end in a top hat next to Resort TV1 for in-park streamers and they're constantly on each others' streams. I usually have a WDW stream up in the background while I'm working during the day and they're the only two I hate having on.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Once of my favorite is magic journeys, but only because I really just like the cross between food vlog and special events

Magic Journeys is good stuff. There's a disability (mobility, primarily) positive travel agent who does a lot of disability at the theme parks videos and I can't remember who they are, but they're a lovely couple and talk accessibility in a way that makes it feel like they're not trying to be exploity, just helpful.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My top for a 4-park day was 18000 steps and all I did was pop in to most of them for one last ride of a favorite ride or a quick snack. 26000 sounds even more painful.

Doesn't WDW have some additive on some of their walking surfaces so it's a touch more springy than just typical concrete?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Some spots have that foamy stuff that’s pretty comfy to walk or sit on, but it’s mostly just raw rear end concrete.

yeah, I always try to find the squishy ground. It makes my ouches hurt less if I'm not on a scooter. Love the squishy ground.

Braksgirl posted:

I do between 18k and 25k steps a day at Disney and I'm a little tubbo. It's the standing that hurts. I can walk forever, but when I have to stand still in a line for 30 min, my back kills.

Is it just me or is the Soarin' line particularly rough? It feels hilly.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Travelling around Disney is loving great. When I visited first at 12 years old the parks started on the ferry boat across from the TTC. I'd almost go so far as to say they started at the trams from the parking lot, but those aren't quite so universal.

I love the boat travel so much. It's so peaceful and relaxing, even when it's packed. I have to slap on hearing protect for the dog though because the horns are incredibly loud no matter where you are on the boat, and I think that they have to be. It's not so much that it's a problem so much as it's like, well, here's your headphones for 3 minutes bud. And he goes hue hue im good and puts his soft little nose on the rail to watch the water go by (dog fuckin loves boat).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gejimayu posted:

How is the Pirates Adventure scavenger hunt at MK? We're local now and trying to hit the MK stuff we haven't done yet with our 4 and 7 year olds.

It's pretty quick but it's cute. With a 4 and a 7 year old, if they're pirates fans, they'll have a good time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Doji Sekushi posted:

Holy poo poo. Mickey’s Not-So-Scary-Halloween starts August 9th.

Tickets release May 15th to the general public. Dates are all over the place this year. At least they finally got around to releasing it. Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Paul Proteus posted:

I have wondered about wilderness lodge for mnsshp. Is the boat viable/less insane than other forms of travel?

If I do swan I just take the bus from yacht and it's a bit better than ttc.

I like the boat over to Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. It's usually not packed to the brim. That said, if you're going to pay those prices, why not just go monorail resort?