Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

1. How big of a difference, quality wise, is Shades of Green from the rest of the Disney Hotels? If I want to make it big, should I spring for one of the more expensive ones? I'm sort of hesitant to do so because I know my mother enjoys shopping, and the extra money saved on hotels would be good for letting her buy lots of knick-knacks.

2. How much should I expect to spend time wise if I want to be able to show her all four parks?

I've stayed at Shades of Green three times over the past 10 years . You will get a pretty nice room and all the perks of staying at a Disney Resort for a fraction of the price. I would say the rooms are about the same quality as a mid range resort. Its missing the shopping, restaurants, and themes of the other hotels, but its extremely easy to get to them if there is something you or she wanted to do.

My personal recommendation for how much time to spend would be 5 days. Spend one day at each park with a single park pass, cheaper than the park hopper, and take the fifth day to shop Downtown Disney, see and do things at the other resorts, and just relax. You could do the 4 parks in as little as three days with the park hopper assuming you are going during one of the slower times of the year. Magic Kingdom one day then decide if you rather do a full day at MGM or Epcot. Then squeeze Animal Kingdom and the one you decided into a single day.

Malt fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I had a chance to ride DL Space Mountain with the lights on a few years back and while I'm sure its very safe, the track appears so close to the cars I would never put my hands up while riding after seeing it.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

DNova posted:

Hi, I used to be a kid and I went to Disney World and the waits were the loving worst. It was absolutely miserable waiting 2+ hours for the then-new Tower of Terror and Space Mountain.

Seriously, what kids do you know who don't really mind standing in a line for hours doing absolutely loving nothing?

My sister and I were fine with lines, but we were from a military family that moved 2000+ miles in a car cross country all the time so had learned to be patient. I remember going to Disneyland with our cousins one year and they whined in any line over 5 minutes to the point they annoyed me at age 12, so I'm sure my family isn't the norm.

And I feel for the small amount of people truly affected by the changes to handle disabled people, but that has been out of hand forever. Now they just need to fix the single, supposedly non english speaking person who stands in line at Disneyland and suddenly 30 family members come join them when they are almost on. Been 15 years since I've been to CA so maybe they have.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I've been to WDW quite a few times and have begun to plan another trip for what looks to be January 2015. It's for two adults and will be a 5 day trip with 4 days spent at the parks.

What things would you guys would recommend for someone who has been a few times that you wouldn't recommend a first timer? Our trips always play out the same way and we love them, but I always wonder about smaller, more hidden things that I'm missing out on.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I'm thinking of staying at Port Orleans French Quarter later this year.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it before I book it? It will just be my girlfriend and I going and the only resort I've stayed at previously is Shades of Green.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I have really fond memories of GMR. Probably comes from a time that the ride broke down at the gangster spot and the cast members managed to put on a great 45 minute show while we waited.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

After new years is a quiet time to go, no? I know its a ways off but want to start saving now

I'm going in January and after looking into it decided to go the week after MLK day. That avoids all the major events and holidays of the month and is one of the quietest times of the year. Only downside is Disney does their major refurbs in the off season so it's likely something you would want to ride will be closed. It's the price you pay for not having to deal with the crowds.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I have a question about the 4-Day Ticket Military Promotion.

I'm heading to Disney World in January. My dad is military, but wont be with us. Would he be able to purchase and activate the tickets for us this fall without us being present? He has a business trip coming up in a couple months and will be about 30 minutes from Disney.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
How accurate are the refurbishment dates on WDWMagic.com?

I'm really hoping Splash Mountain opens back up a little early next month so that I don't miss it on my trip.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Braksgirl posted:

A discount dropped this morning out of the blue. Again, I'll offer my services to anyone who wants help planning a vacation.

Thanks for posting this. They weren't able to give us the deal, but gave us an even bigger discount just for calling in :shrug:

They must know we will just spend that money in the parks anyway.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Magic Bands arrived today. It might be because I'm a big guy, but I have to wear it sideways to be comfortable.

Disney does a great job spacing out all the promotional stuff in the mail. Feels like every week there is something else arriving or to do waiting for the trip.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Do you know if they sell the bands at Downtown Disney? I would like to pick up the Ariel one next weekend while waiting to check in.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I don't care for the DDP for the same reason I don't like Fast Passes. I would rather enjoy my vacation and not have to worry about having each day planned months ahead of time.

That could be because I've been a few times though.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm torn between Port Orleans, Shades of Green and going nuts on Boardwalk or Beach Club. Tell me what I want?

The amount of money you will save doing Shades of Green is significant. It's a nice resort, but it lacks the theming and food choices of Disney's official resorts if that is important to you.

I'm doing French Quarter next week, but that's only because I'm not eligible for SoG this trip.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

the_worm_ posted:

Checking into FQ on the 31st here.

We are leaving that day so you might get our room.

We are checking in Sunday, I'll let you know if I discover any tips while staying there.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Where is the rum dole whip in Epcot? All Internet searches are saying it was a food and wine thing.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Braksgirl posted:

The Dole Whip with rum in Epcot is only during the festivals.

Live and learn.

Today was our first day and we hit up Epcot in search of the elusive Dole Whip. Ended up hopping over to MK before heading back to the resort to try one out. It lived up to the hype.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

MrYenko posted:

RumChat: Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not bother with Dole anything, go directly to Drinkwalla in Animal Kingdom and get a Coconut-Lychee Lemonade.

Worth your time.

Typing while drinking this and can confirm this statement is correct.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If anyone wanted that Epcot Starbucks mug, you'll have to wait because it got pulled from the shelves. It features a monorail with a purple line, which was the color of the monorail that got in the accident that killed a driver way back when. That color has since been retired, and Disney is pulling the mug due to backlash.

drat. We saw it Monday and forgot to pick it up. Went back last night and they told me it sold out.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Savage Bliss posted:

Can anyone explain why all the girls from Ipanema are marching lock step together, singing some song in hyperguese, all wearing fuchsia outfits? I've noticed a lot of Brazilians here all week, but today its just crazy (@ Hollywood Studios)

They seem to have vanished and left behind their backpacks.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Welp MK is packed. It's not even swarms of Brazilian tour groups either

Bus driver on the way back to the resort last night was telling everyone to avoid MK like the plague. Guess it's open until 2am?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Short trip report now that I'm back home.

French Quarter was great. Very quiet and small. The rooms were recently redone so they looked good, but you can definitely tell that most of the furniture is pretty aged. In room Wifi was good enough to stream stuff when we came back from the park. The only complaints I had was the food court was lacking compared to the handful of other resorts I've stayed at and the buses seemed stretched thin so you ended up waiting longer than I feel we should of.

The new fantasy land looks really nice. I felt the lunch at Be Our Guest was very much worth it. Only a few bucks more than quick service and it felt like you were eating real food. The lemon cupcake was superb.

Dole Whips were good, but the Coconut Lychee Lemonade at Animal Kingdom was much better. The Drinkwalla where they serve them is not on the map so I almost missed it. If you are heading towards the Lion King show from Expedition Everest it is a small shack along the river.

The only complaint I have about the trip was all the construction going on. We went to MK 3 different days and couldn't get a shot of the castle without the crane along with the whole entrance being messed up.. AK felt like it had barriers up around most of the park and there was a bunch of stuff going on at HS as well. I understand they need to get this stuff done, but all at once really was a bummer.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Lincoln posted:

What's the new consensus on the best way to make a room request? When we started going to WDW in the '90s, it was a fax and/or phone call to the hotel's front desk four days before check-in. The last couple of times we went we didn't bother with a room/building request at all. Anyway, now there's a bunch of construction at the Poly, and I'd like to have a decent view, as we're taking my parents with us (first time for them to go to WDW). We booked directly through Disney, if that matters.

And is online check-in recommended? Does it matter?

We did online check-in and they had a box for request on that. Our room was exactly what we asked for.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
If anyone is able to snag one of those Han Solo in carbonite popcorn buckets for me I'd be grateful.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

demonR6 posted:

We are going again this weekend. I'll see how much a bucket of popcorn costs. Neither of us really eat popcorn so..

I think the Mine Cart bucket I picked up earlier this year was like $15. I know shipping will be stupid, but if it's around that at the park I'm good for it.

Thanks for checking it out for me!

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I like Fantasmic and Illuminations more than Wishes :shrug:

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Abu Dave posted:

I was kinda thinking the first day we'll get there, rent a car and go to a store but then I remembered we\re doing magical express so we have to kill hours some way before check in. Half debating on adding another ticket to my plan so we can just kill the afternoon in a park, or is there things to do to kill the time at the resort possibly?

We arrived around 11am and since Disney was handling luggage we just went straight to the bus stop and headed to Downtown Disney for a few hours. It worked out well since we were tired from traveling and we didn't use a ticket on a half day. You could also hop on the monorail and visit the hotels on the route which are pretty nice to look around.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Have crowds at Disneyland become year round like they have at World? Thinking of doing a trip next year and of course would like to avoid them if at all possible.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

poolside toaster posted:

Crowds are generally pretty drat small in later January/early February. For us it wasn't that it was cheaper, it was that enjoying the park not surrounded by 40,000 of our closest friends was much more appealing.

When I went the last week of January this year the parks were packed. Was either bad luck or everyone has that idea now.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I'm planning a trip to Disney World with my soon to be wife for next January. She has a pretty extreme case of IBS and is very concerned about having to wait in lines.

Any suggestions on the best route of when/who to talk to and what to say for accommodations to be made? I remember something way back when along the lines of me waiting in line and then after I get to the front she could come up, but no idea what they do nowadays.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Just got back from a weeklong trip to WDW with my wife. It was her first time and she had a blast. She couldn't imagine going without someone who knows what they ware doing, she was so overwhelmed by it all. Thankfully, my fat rear end was able to fit onto Flight of Passage and the ride lived up to the hype. We ate at Via Napoli and Ohana, both of which were great. Next time we go, will definitely need to try some other places.

Anyone going to MK this week willing to pick up some of the reusable bags for me? We got the rest of the parks, but MK didn't have them the whole time we were there and would really like the complete set. Will gladly PayPal some cash if someone is willing.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I wonder who inserted the literal never ending "LOORRDDD JESUS PRAISE HIM" poo poo at the world showcase plaza that i can hear clearly in Italy.

We spent last week at Disney and my wife was pretty appalled at how heavy handed it was and felt it was very ostracizing to a good percentage of the people there.

Parks felt very crowded, but the cast members and cleanliness seemed top notch as always. Rise and Guardians were both fun and I appreciated how all the new rides were accommodating to someone very much large sized. Got to ride Splash Mountain one last time and am excited to see what they do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
We are going to be in San Diego for the first week of May. I lived there 25 years ago and want to take my wife to one of my favorite parks while we are there.

Is Sea World worth visiting still? We aren’t interested in the rides, more so seeing animals and shows.

Is there a day of the week where the crowds at Disneyland are drastically lower?