Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
IMHO, YMMV:

Jiko was overpriced and not a great atmosphere. Way loud, the service was sub-standard for typical Disney. The best part was wandering around the AK Lodge while waiting for our reservation.

V&A, someone mentioned that it just wasn't worth the money, and while I didn't have the issues I encountered at Jiko, I agree. Nothing that sets it apart from Fleur De Lis or Gary Danko (The French Laundry was same price and way better if you're a west-coaster and really feeling frisky).

California Grill in the Contemporary has great seating for the fireworks show at MK. They dim the lights and pump in the music. You can request a window seat, but I just ended up having the entire restaurant crowd around my table anyway. I'd still pick this as my 'romantic adult time' dinner if I go back.

‘Ohana at the Polynesian resort was good as well, family style, great for bit groups. It also might be a favorite due to the fact that I want to stay at that property next time I go.

However I've neglected to eat at any of the sit-downs in the parks themselves and it appears I'm missing out on Le Cellier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

HPanda posted:

I normally would have recommended California Grill, but they're closed for rehab right now

Darn, should have done my homework.

quote:

One place I forgot to mention before is The Brown Derby.

Ha. Excellent food, I forgot I ate there but I went as part of a 'tour'

Speaking of, this matured into a food thread pretty quick, and I haven't seen any mention yet of tours, some of them are fascinating if you're interested into how the magic happens, and provide a nice break from standing in line. I've done:

Backstage Magic. Amazing tour, takes all day, expensive, you get a decent lunch halfway through. Get to wander around behind the scenes of everywhere but AK. Experience the famous utilidors! (and their unique smell) See 'Ariel' wandering around in a bra! (cameras were not permitted) Visit Disney World HR because your tour guide needed to 'swing by for a moment'! In all seriousness it was awesome, got to see the costume design shops, the storage warehouse for all the holiday decorations, I got to watch the show at the America pavilion at Epcot from behind while it was running. Realizing the insane amount of hydraulics needed for the anamatronics, and how absolutely silent it is, makes you appreciate the engineering that goes into the attractions.

I don't see it anymore but, the Epcot Segway tour. It was rather boring, seemed to delight the midwesterners who had never ridden a segway, and it's always fun to wander around the pavilions while they're closed. Got some good pictures without throngs of other tourists in the background. I don't even have to suggest passing on it, but maybe they'll bring it back some day and my warnings may be heeded.

Behind the Seeds: This one was an absurd amount of geeky horticulture fun. You basically just get to wander around with a Disney botanist and ask questions about the plants that make up the Living With The Land 'ride'. I grew up on a farm and have an urban garden going now, and I enjoyed seeing the new technology for hydroponics, what beneficial insects they use on site, waving at people on the boats, it was a good time. Ride the ride, if you think "wonder how they do that" 3 or more times, go to the tour booth at the exit and sign up.

Dine With An Imagineer: Not officially a tour, but still an event I think was well worth the money. You get to choose lunch at either The Flying Fish Cafe at the Boardwalk, or The Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios. You basically just sit down and have a meal with someone working in the imagineering department. The guy we got was a lead designer for the retail spaces at the parks, and he spoke about his job for a while, then just answered any random questions we had for the remaining hour and a half or so. Don't take kids. Please. They won't get it, they won't care, they'll make noise while playing on their phone and waste your money. Also don't ask the imagineer if they'll give your child an interview. The answer will be no.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

Oh, and if anyone is traveling to DW with a disability (or accompanying someone) I've had experience navigating that side of a trip to Disney, I can probably answer any questions a first-timer would have about using a disabled pass, and the accommodations Disney offers that are a bit buried.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Braksgirl posted:

When you first use a ticket at a park they take a fingerprint scan.

To clarify, AFAIK they don't actually take a fingerprint scan, just a scan of the outline of your finger. People freaked out back when they implemented it.

Now they apparently have RFID turnstyles, which will cut down on the resale practice by quite a bit. http://allears.net/pl/fingerscan.htm

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

effervescible posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for non-resort hotels with easy transport to both WDW and Universal? I'm going to be in town the first week of March for a work thing, and afterward a friend and I want to do one day at each. We're splitting the hotel bill, so we don't need to go ultra-cheap, but I'm not looking to break the bank either. I'd also prefer a shuttle or public transit rather than a rental car.

The Doubletree that's technically on site isn't great, but it's not terrible either, and Disney transport stops by there. I used my Hilton points, and had enough issues with the rooms that I got all my points refunded by the time I left, so for the fact that it was a free 8 night stay for only 3 room changes made it worth it. :shrug:

Only real differences I noticed between that and staying at a Disney resort was that I couldn't have packages delivered, the bus stops are the furthest away from the entrances, and they have too many stops on the route. All in all, you pay less, you get less, and I still didn't have to rent a car/pay for parking.

Have to get super-shuttle or one of its ilk to get to Universal, pretty painless process all in all, and since we only did universal 1 day during the trip, staying closer to DW was the priority.

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/

Fejsze fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 9, 2014

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

demonR6 posted:

The lines to get into FP+ kiosks were insane..

Can you get a FP to the kiosk?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Biggz posted:

Is the pre-bought photo pass worth buying? How many photos do you need to make it cost effective?

Have a safe trip!

I can't speak much to the other questions, I've stayed on site the entire time I've been, however I can share my experiences with the pictures.

Fun fact, everywhere there is a disney employee taking pictures, they will be more than happy to use your camera and take the exact same picture for you.

They're rather good at it, as should be expected, and most of the pictures I printed out and framed after my trips came from them. One of the photographers even showed my sister some settings on her camera that she didn't know how to use.

There are a few gimicky pictures they take where disney elements are photoshopped in (one that comes to mind is in front of the haunted mansion, think there was one in AK as well), so those are fun, but I didn't get any.

Anyway, short version: if you have your own digital camera, grab a free photo pass, give them that and your own camera, look pretty, have great memories.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Matterhorn (important)
Indy
Screamin'
Grizzly
Goofy's sky school

The last time I went they had nixed the single rider for Indy. It was a short while back, so it might be up again, and would would be awesome news. I was just sad every time I used it that I didn't get to enjoy the queue, which is unabashedly my favorite at DL/DCA.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Speaking of disabled access, I'm contemplating a trip out, and would be going with a disabled person (no wheelchair, non-visible disability, was always fun seeing the judgmental looks from other guests), and life was great with the disabled pass. However the last time we went was before the whole hooplah about people gaming the system and hiring guides who would get one for you, and I heard that the rules have been changed. Anyone know what it's like now? "Skipping" the lines was huge on a trip where we could only go out for 2-3 hours at a stretch before having to take a few hour break in the room before heading out again.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Because it's already in California and it's got one good ride and two real dumb ones. You aren't going to make people visit multiple parks if they all have the same thing, basically.

The themeing is insane though and I was really impressed by that. Just not by the actual rides (RSR needs to be longer, but the ride itself is great).

Hey now. Mater's ride is a ton of fun if you whip the buggies just right.

Luigis was also fun, before dumb rear end guests kept flipping them over and they removed the controls.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Luigi and Mater are cheapo carnival level rides and look cheap as hell and are great for kids but there's no appeal for adults (or if there is, you're impressed very easily).

My point being I feel like they're cheap cop-out rides and not even worth 10 minutes in line.

You're very correct. I wouldn't wait in line long for Mater, but I am, admittedly, easily amused.

The theming for the land is incredible though. Exponentially better than bugs land. And outside of liberty square at MK and Africa at AK, I don't think there is a better themed area in any of the parks. I would be interested in what rides they would do since the Racers is just a test track reskin.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

I'm in the early stages of "hey, we should totes go to Disney World for a week in November" planning, and had a question about magicbands that someone might be able to answer for me.

Can you link each magicband to a separate credit card? Or is everything you use it on just charged to the room/default CC?

Also, anyone know how the free dining plan/room discounts and such work if we wanted to stay at a moderate resort for 5 nights, and spoil ourselves with a deluxe for 2?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

This is as dictated by Braksgirl, who does not have her phone nearby:

Any charges made with a magic band go to a room. You can pay the charges with different cards but the magic bands don't actually charge your credit card, they charge the room.

You can get free dining on a split stay but be careful with the moderates. Port Orleans, Riverside and French Quarter are often excluded from free dining.

Thanks!

... and how did you know I was planning on Port Orleans? ARE YOU IN MY HEAD? GET OUT OF THERE, THE VOICES ARE CROWDED ENOUGH AS IS.

Braks will be getting a PM once I'm onto the "ok, this is actually going to happen, time to get a deposit down" :-)

MrYenko posted:

I've had a separate credit card on a second magic band, and not only does it work, but it's not charged to the room, or even listed on the room invoice. You have to ask them to set it up at the front desk, and I think you still have to be one of the listed tenants of the room. (IE: A valid doorkey-linked magic band.) Charge by magicband is still limited to resort guests, AFAIK.

Fantastic, exactly what I was hoping for.

Fejsze fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 29, 2015

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Just booked my trip through Braksgirl (thanks so much!) Nov 12-21. Will be able to catch the tail end of Food & Wine, and then be able to actually wander around Epcot the following week without all the drunken idiots I remember from my last trip.

Only 9 months to go...

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Cais posted:

Runs from 360-500 an hour these days with a six hour minimum. They used to have a non-premium tour - you didn't get fastpasses and used the regular line. They were finding that no one was using that so they got rid of that one. They also used to have separate prices for resort guests versus non resort guests but now it's the same price for everyone.

The folks that spring for it though... Jeez. Must be nice to have that kind of money to burn.

What all does one of those tours typically consist of? Was looking through tours for my upcoming trip and saw that one, with the same thought about money to burn, and wondered how it was worth it.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Circutron posted:

Hat's down.

I'll admit, it will be weird going later this year and not seeing the hat. I'm one of those who grew up with it always being there, and it never really bothered me much.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Paul Allen posted:

They're officially expanding Soarin' and Toy Story:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/03/more-opportunities-to-soar-enjoy-toy-story-mania-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

I'd heard people mention this here and elsewhere but I don't think it was "official" yet

Aren't they also redoing the video entirely for Soarin'? Think I remember hearing that they're going to make it more like the old America The Beautiful, instead of California centric that they just copied from Anaheim.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Braksgirl posted:

Just FYI, I'm running a promo for a gift card if you book a trip with me by April 15. Just in case anyone was on the fence.

So those of us who already booked get boned? Boooo I say. Booooo.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

demonR6 posted:

If you ever want them just PM me and I can buy & ship them to you in advance.

Do you foresee yourself going during star wars weekend? Looking at the site you linked, and I kinda sorta want one of the SWW ones that they're going to have, but wouldn't be worth asking a random goon to go on one of the busiest weekends of the year just to fulfill my own insatiable nerdism. Or would it?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Zachack posted:

How far in advance should I try to book a room at any of the three Disneyland resorts if I want the best price? I'm likely going to be at the parks on the Mon/Tues after the weekend after labor day, which crowd calendars seem to think is when the parks are nearly vacant, but the cheapest room is $260 at Paradise Pier for the night which seems crazy. Do the prices fluctuate as the date approaches or is it all-expensive, all the time?

From my experience: all-expensive, all the time.

IMHO, staying at a Disney resort in Anaheim just isn't worth it. There are a *ton* of hotels within walking distance that are wayyyyyyy cheaper. I would typically stay at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Suites. <10 minute slow walk to park entrances, decent hotel. Heck, short of the Grand Californian (which is nice but in no way worth the money) the closest hotels to Disneyland aren't owned by them.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Major thanks to Demon for grabbing one for me as well. It's awesome to have a DW park hookup.

Now I'm going to be able to make lightsaber noises whenever I scan my band, and not look like a complete weirdo.

Right?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Came home from a trip last night to an awesome little package from DemonR6! Going to be dangerous having a local Disney World merch hookup...

Only 173 days until I get to wear my super duper awesome Donald Jedi Magic band... and not look like a complete weirdo.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Saw this pop up on my news feed this morning: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disneyland-peak-pricing-20150528-story.html

Interesting idea, not sure if it would actually a) help reduce crowds, b) gently caress people over who aren't paying attention, or c) just increase revenue for Disney

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Here in Orlando its $125 peak (holidays & summer), $105 non-peak. Problem is the parks are generally overcrowded and raising the price does nothing as they are already doing it multiple times during the year. They have not hit the pain point where people say 'enough' and won't pay the ticket price so they will continue to push the boundary. You have people that come over from overseas where money is not an object to them so the average person will be relegated to non-peak season to visit the park. We all know Disney does not give one single gently caress about anyone so long as the register continues to chime.

That's a good point, I guess growing up (relatively) close to Disneyland, I saw a much different crowd, since a far larger percent were people like me and my family that would decide last minute to take a quick trip down for a day or two, and inflated pricing would have changed those plans more times than not.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Doronin posted:

Speaking of Tokyo, why is Duffy the Disney Bear such a monumental hit in Asia?

Because, Japan.

I remember seeing Duffy stuff when it was first released at DL years and years ago, and thought it was an absolute "we don't give a single gently caress" money grab. Minnie's teddy bear? Seriously? You have a vast collection of IP and this is what you're trying to sell the kids now?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Just popping in to say that Braks is *awesome* and everyone should just book through her. Just saved me a few hundred on my trip without having to swap hotels or anything, and already had it finalized by the time I hit 'send' on an email asking if the new discounts applied to me.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Anya posted:

Sad face! But I will live. I figured it probably would not happen, thanks Walt!

Has anyone taken any of the behind the scenes tours? My mom is really interested in taking one of the MK tours. She remembers watching Disneyland open for the very first time, on TV, and she's always wanted to see how everything works. She's not too crazy about hitting the big rides, being 67, but she is all about walking all over the place.

If you seriously want to walk all over the place, the Backstage Magic tour is awesome. Looks like it goes to all 4 parks now, when I took it we "only" went to MK/HS/Epcot, lasts like 7 hours. I had a blast when I went a few years ago. The Behind The Seeds tour at Epcot was also enjoyable, if you like botany. It's also only like $15.

I've heard good things about the Keys To The Kingdom tour at MK, and am planning on going on that during my trip later this year.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

FP+ question

If I make a FP reservation for Wishes/Illumunations, does that mean that if my other 2 fast passes are used up by, say, 11am, I won't be able to book any more that day? Would the viewing area be worth it?

And RE: Pin Trading

I enjoy it, I don't try and collect anything specific though it's fun to try and complete a set I like during the trip. It's 100% a money sink, you'll never make money off of it. I buy ~100 of the knockoff pins off eBay before every trip, and trade them for ones that I like from CMs as I wander around the parks (I've never traded with another regular person), which I place in a shadow box* I have hanging on the wall. They make for fun, cheap souvenirs this way, and I've had some really great interactions with CMs while looking over their lanyard.

*ok, fine, I have 3 shadow boxes full...

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm planning a November 2016 trip. I've heard it can be crazy busy one week and dead the next. Anybody have a good bunch of dates that it would be dead?

Every time I've gone (and my trip in a few months this year) has been the week before thanksgiving, leaving the fri/sat before thanksgiving week. Typically pretty empty at all the parks, get to catch Food & Wine for a few days, then enjoy Epcot the rest of the week without all the jackasses who are stupid drunk, and they seem to be running rides at full capacity even though there aren't crowds for it, I'd assume testing for thanksgiving week? Whatever it is, it's a good time to go.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Has anyone booked tours with the Disney Visa discount before? I see that I get one, but not sure if there are restrictions or a special procedure to go through.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Abu Dave posted:

yeah braksgirl talked me into getting them. I did bad planning my airplane trip though as we get to Florida at like 12 PM and check in isnt until 3 PM and we have a similiar "problem" on our last day there; the plane leaves at 8 PM.

I was kinda thinking the first day we'll get there, rent a car and go to a store but then I remembered we\re doing magical express so we have to kill hours some way before check in. Half debating on adding another ticket to my plan so we can just kill the afternoon in a park, or is there things to do to kill the time at the resort possibly?

I'm doing the same thing in a few months; my flight gets in at 10am my first day. I've gotten in early before (during slow season) and had a room ready I could check into, so that might happen, but your bags won't show up for hours after. If the room isn't ready yet, Magical Express will hold your bags and deliver them automatically to your room when it's ready, so bring some sunscreen in your carry on, go swimming/lounge at the hotel, wander around Downtown Disney (Disney Springs? W/E) and have a sandwich, catch a bus to AK Lodge, or Polynesian, or any other deluxe resort really, and wander around (I've heard that some of the top tier hotels have little tours, but have not seen evidence online outside of one at Boardwalk Inn), go play some miniature golf. There is plenty to do that isn't at the parks, and should only whet your appetite for finally getting through the gates the next morning.

The last day, I'd add an extra day at the parks. 8pm is late enough to get thoroughly exhausted before crashing on a plane for a few hours, and again, Disney will take your bags when you check out and hold them until they get shipped to the airport before your flight.

When you say go to the store, you meaning grocery store? I have done online grocery delivery service in the past and it's awesome. Disney has held the stuff for me until I got back, even refrigerating the milk for me.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

The BlueBayou is the greatest restaurant in the history of mankind!!!

No, but seriously, you are paying for the amazing ambiance and setting, not the food. Although I did really enjoy the gumbo.

If you go to Blue Bayou and *don't* get the Monte Cristo you aren't living right.

Also worth the extra wait time to sit by the water. Wave at the people in the boats. I was once escorted out of the park because someone asked for something to eat and I threw him a roll. They frowned on that.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

CK07 posted:

Hi thread! I asked for a weeklong trip to Disney World for my 30th birthday and it looks like I might get my wish. It looks like February might be when the stars align. I am very intrigued by the Disney travel agent stuff, I really don't know much about how it works, but is it possible to call them and get advice, arrange everything, and then basically have them send the bill elsewhere? This will be my first visit as an adult, I'm a Disneyland annual passholder but I haven't been to Orlando since I was six and I don't remember it at all. Guise I am so excited, please advise on how to select a hotel. What else do I need to know/think about? I am trying to read the OP but I am tooooo excited.

PM or email Braksgirl (her email is a page or so back) and just lay out all your questions. I booked a trip I'm taking in Nov with her and it has been, by far, the best experience planning a vacation I've ever had.

Hotels depend entirely on how much everyone loves you and are willing to spend. Make sure they're aware that if they'll only shell out for a value resort they clearly don't love you much, and that you will burn all their things in retribution. Regardless, I would just strongly recommend staying on property. I did my first trip staying on property, decided to save some money my second trip and stayed off property, and had such a sub-optimal experience I'm going back to a Disney owned hotel this trip.

There are a ton of resources out there to help you decide what would end up being best, but a travel agent can certainly listen to your situation and provide recommendations based on what exactly you're looking for. e: and they don't charge you, so it doesn't cost you a dime extra versus booking yourself on the website, and Braks managed to save me ~$300 by jumping on a discount the minute it was released to the public months after I booked.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Doronin posted:

Gross. I never saw all that on my three cruises.

Although I did enjoy walking around with my rum and coke everywhere I go for the better part of a week.

It just means you have to get creative like with regular cruises

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Doronin posted:

Clever. I might try that next time just for the hell of it.

I've snuck booze on a Carnival ship in a cleaned out mouthwash bottle before, but didn't go that in depth.

I once brought a blender, margarita mixers, and 6 Arizona Tea bottles full of tequila on one. Security just kind of shrugged like "at least you made some effort to hide it" and let me through.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Abu Dave posted:

Hey goons, question, my fastpasses open up to reserve on the 18th, but i'm not sure if I can set time to book them that day until the night time; will I be boned?

They'll open up at 12:00:01am eastern time on the 18th. If you're west coast, you can book them at 9p on the 17th, etc. Worth staying up late for.

But, I spent the week after I made mine messing with the times and didn't have a problem for most of the days later on in my trip, so doing it later on the 18th won't ruin your plans.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Leaving for my trip in 12 days with my sister. 9 nights on property. A family member just offered to purchase a quick service dining plan for the duration for us.

So quick gut check answers, should I graciously accept, or ask for the $750 in cash instead? Never done a DDP, we only have 2 reservations the entire stay for sit-down dinners, and 1 day off property.

I'm just not sure how convenient the plan is vs just ordering what we want and paying for it, cost be damned. When I researched it when booking months ago the consensus just seemed to be that the plan ends up costing a bit more as a general rule. And I think it might mean more for the relative to give us a plan vs cash, more specific for the trip. But I'm pragmatic enough to ask for cash instead if the value isn't there.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Happitoo posted:

"This lucky leaf will keep me dry!"

*Is the only person in the raft to get completely soaked*

"I'm going to throw away my lucky leaf"

I hope you kept the leaf to frame with a picture of your soaked daughter. That would be golden for years to come.

In news related to me, decided to go with the DDP, found a calculator online, http://distripplanner.com/ and it comes out close to even for me, and that's not counting the value added for blowing through all our snack credits the first few days at F&W. Going to have so much filet mignon from Canada.

Speaking of, I just learned about the Tipsy Duck from China, and I will be having so many of those. What else is there that I should seek out?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Anya posted:

I wish there were more lights for the Jungle Cruise when you ride it in the evening, felt that I missed out on some of the visual jokes. Definitely getting a FP+ for it next time.

I've always felt it's like a different ride at night. I always try and go once during the day then once after dark. I've also seen the skippers pull out the edgier adult jokes at night when there aren't any kids on the ride, which is hilarious.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Leaving for the airport in 3 hours. I should really be trying to grab at least a short nap, but pretty certain that isn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Oh Disney World guests. Good to see you haven't changed.

Room isn't ready, so I headed down to Disney Springs to await the arrival of my travel companion. Waiting in line at Earl of Sandwich and there is a poor lost girl crying in the dining area. An employee comes over and does a wonderful job comforting her while he radios whomever about the situation.

5-6 minutes go by (this line is stupid long) and finally this whale of a mother comes storming around the corner "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN. COME WITH ME NOW" and literally drags the girl off by the wrist without a single thank you or acknowledgement to the guy who took care of her daughter when she was scared.

Oh this should be a wonderful trip :-)