Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wonder how much of it will be based on the live action, since they had 23 Ariel and 89 Ariel in the parks at the same time earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Epcot is basically the 1960s Tomorrowland (with the science focus) done seriously when it's at its best. Trying to describe what Epcot is can be rather difficult anymore because management in recent years is trying to change the content of it while still channeling the old vibe so as to not upset millennials.

But basically Epcot was the "Worlds Fair corporate propaganda" thing where Disney builds rides that are funded by industrial capital to make some sponsor look Dynamic and Forward-Looking. In recent years however, it's additions have been 2010s IPs replacing those things while the atmosphere between them remains a callback to that 80s sense of harmony.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disneyland put themselves in that position by just slowly removing a lot of rides that soaked up small amounts of riders, some of them were also shut down at MK because there were factors beyond pure financial motive (the keelboats were inherently a safety risk after that capsizing, the Skyway was a bad behavior magnet though Disneyland's had the added element of stressing out the Matterhorn). All those closures of small B/C ticket attractions put a lot of people onto a park that used to have so many rides that there was very little room to move and it was expected/hoped that a good amount of people would be in the space devoted to their many queues. Then they added people "in line" for a ride without standing in those ample queues.

I don't know what MK's excuse is, there's far more unused space and management will rip out atmosphere for wider pathways when needed (hub renovation). Use an inflation calculator on prices from 15 years ago and you'll see the price has gone up tremendously as well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
No. They had more "ride a boat around this pond" rides and a skybucket that went through the Matterhorn that took you over the crowds. All of which soaked up some people and gave you an easy way to get across the park or over a parade. And then those rides died in the 90s as they inched toward the All D/E Ticket Park they have now.

Also those incomprehensible rides are not 40 years old, they're 65. (Car Toon Spin is almost 30, good lord.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 24, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nah, I think they'll just address training. It's a new ride for the crew, but the restraint and ride system are 23 years old. Usually these sorts of events have potentially happened before but prevented because the CMs were quick to address it.

I watched the video and there's no reason the ride should have been operating as long as it was while people were shouting and OMGing at a kid dodging cars. Either someone was not watching the cameras or the cameras have a blind spot.

EDIT: I thought the vehicles were the ones from Pooh's Hunny Hunt, but they look closer to Rise of the Resistance. Regardless there was no reason for the ride to keep operating as long as it did in the video.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 24, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Amazes me that SWGE has been open all these years and this is still an issue. It feels like a very "opening year jitters" problem where management is supposed to step in and either force retail to change the product or force security to be more leniant.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh, okay. It just seems like the questions about them keep cropping up even though the land has been open for pushing five years now.

CapnAndy posted:

What do you want them to do about it? The blade's a 2 1/2 foot fiberglass tube, the thing is long and fragile. It's gotta be protected and letting customers run around with it attached and hit things with it is just begging for breakages and injuries.

They did this because they wanted something equivalent to the Harry Potter wand thing, but the execution (whether it's the design of the thing or what) leaves something to be desired if they're handing people something they don't want people having in the parks. Although how much of this is "of the times" and attorney based I have no idea. Once upon a time play-fighting was common at Disneyland, but the weapons were much cheaper and the fighters very different. By contrast the Star Wars stuff is set up and priced for adult collectors.

Then again, there used to be a third party store selling actual friggin' swords that were a similar issue in DL's Fantasyland when I was a kid, too.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 6, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grundulum posted:

Does someone want to take a minute to try and sell me (rather, my wife) on what makes Disney cruises special and worth going on over any other cruise line? I assume that you can’t ride Tron or Space Mountain on any ship regardless of size/age.

They're relaxing. I dunno what to say except that. There's no gambling and less drunkenness if that appeals to you.

Otherwise, go pick up a Norwegian cruise instead.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

fnaf-ify the bears, but without stuffing them full of dead children. just make them eat guests.

Jungle Cruise becomes about escaping a forest full of bears.

"They're wearing clothes they must be eating the campers!"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Different tastes, but I think Nemo is better than Tough To Be A Big. If you just want to see it before it goes away then whatever, but I think Nemo is one of the best shows there while Bug is, for me again, kind of repulsive.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Aww, that's neat. I probably will blow much of the money I was planning to become a CM visiting the parks briefly and hoard the rest for some future event.

Even going to the parks as a visitor these days is kind of weird because I'm looking at things as a business. I'm noticing the management detache walking around, I'm wondering why there's seven security guys in that corner, I know more or less what obscure facilities buildings are actually used for. I still love it for being mostly the same place it was when I was eight, but I've also become The Man Who Knew Too Much (about Mickey).

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 23, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hazo posted:

Cmon man you can’t just drop this into a thread and not elaborate. If you can’t share these kind of things online then at least shoot me a PM because I’m the kind of person who spends a good part of his time at Disney World fascinated by the sheer logistics involved and I’d love to hear more.

I haven't been to Disney World in almost 20 years (met a goon CM who was truly awesome) and Disneyland in nearly 15. I'm just a person who told the career counselor in school that I wanted to work in amusement parks, so I've sponged just about any information I can from talking to CMs, ex-CMs, etc. Aside from having a truly absurd amount of media or Disney Look guides from various decades, or maybe an operators guide or two for various attractions (though I think those didn't survive a move), I'm not special in any way.

The time I had an interview there I had to sort of remind myself of stuff I know they want to hear ("hey look I know these company values you drill into everyone's heads") without revealing any weird obsessive stuff ("so I already know there's a Subway shop under Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom.")

But aside from hearing the occasional disgust about a union contract or whatever, I don't get that much inside info that some other goons here wouldn't. My dream to work there is ironically dead because the last time I had enough windfall to move myself to live near the parks I spent it on being a tourist instead. My most recent attempt fell short due to inflation. I still occasionally think about selling my most expensive toys to afford to move into someone's spare bedroom, but from what I've heard you can eventually support yourself that way but not as a newcomer, hours are hard enough to come by that you pretty much gotta be supported by someone else in the area, unless you can work multiple jobs with other employers who are willing to let Disney take first priority for your time and accept whatever time you have after.

EDIT: I would give the worst Disney tours. "So as the Disneyland parade starts up Main Street, look through those gates that opened and beyond the floats and you'll see the Old Administration Building. That's where Disneyland's business was operated from until 1995 or so. Walt Disney didn't want to build that structure originally, and Disneyland's business used to be handled in an old farmer house where Toontown is now, but they needed a space to put the Primeval World diorama and so he approved it for that reason. There's boarded up windows at the ground floor, because in the 60s and 70s they used to give cast members their costumes at walk-up booths there. Nowadays, costuming is around the corner, and hello mr Security Officer why do I have the pleasure?"

Now that I think about it, I think Jim Hill used to get in trouble for doing exactly that kind of poo poo.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 24, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hazo posted:

Yeah I know they apocryphal story of Walt and the trash cans. I meant more of how can you identify the management squad or the plainclothes security so easily.

Managers dress nicer than most people at a theme park. There can be a few on Wednesdays with a bunch of nervous people trying to dress nice as part of the weekly "Step Into The Magic" orientation where they take new hires into the park (remember a decent number of people who work at these places have never been as a visitor and are seeing it for the first time, so giving them a field trip style visit lets them take it in and see what the "ideal" is supposed to be like.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can't believe I'm the one person in these discussions who defends Galaxy's StarcruisEdge being not based on the Original Trilogy, but people will defend the Disney+ era of Star Wars moving pictures.

Rogue One was kinda good, the sequel trilogy is ultimately a springboard for products and experiences, but ultimately Disney's non-trilogy specific addendums to the canon are this aggressive attempt to franchise a property that didn't need it. I don't actually care about the old EU at all but I will credit that it mostly stayed out of my face and I was never forced to do any research about it. There was a hell of a lot of extra nerdy bonus chapters to Star Wars if you really wanted to think about that universe constantly; whereas Disney is desperately wanting you to keep thinking about it, by trying to create an MCU sort of thing out of a story that to many people was over and done.

I assume Avatar doesn't suffer these problems because Jim Cameron has the strength of Job and also produces a billion dollars for the studio if you just let him cook.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 6, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Though I think it should have been the OT or at least OT and PT, I think Galaxy's Edge is great. I prefer it to the Potter lands because of its massive scope. It just feels real, whereas Hogsmeade is a little sliver of land and Diagon Alley, though also really well themed, feels more like an amazingly themed food court. I also contend that Rise is the best modern dark ride out there right now, even though some of its best effects have been disabled or are inconsistent.

I have nothing against the concept, I just think it doesn't belong at Disneyland.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CapnAndy posted:

Good plans! And yeah, the fireworks are late for kids. Retreating to your hotel mid-afternoon for a nap is an option, as is just letting them pass out in the stroller.

I will go ahead an throw this out there as someone who used to be a sensitive kid in late 80s Disneyland: The peoplemover going through Space Mountain thing can be unnerving because you might think it's going to actually go fast. The old Disneyland ride spiel used to say something like "here's a taste of the high-intensity thrills aboard Space Mountain" (they were also going uphill at the highest speed they reached through the entire track), I remember my parents having to promise me that the car was not suddenly going to fork onto a coaster track. This sounds absurd, I know, but adults used to think Spaceship Earth was going to drop them 200ft backwards so apparently I'm not alone.

Haunted Mansion is, for it's very concept, a no-go for some kids. I caused one of the largest scenes of my life to try to avoid going on it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That yeti ain't gonna fix itself.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CapnAndy posted:

Is this a win? The articles spin it as a win but it seems like a capitulation to me; DeSantis' hand-picked board of fascists remains in control and seems to have been recognized as legitimate.

Every ten years they release a Site Plan that lists areas Disney does and does not intend to develop over the coming decade. By agreeing to the 2020 site plan, Disney secures an agreement on how the land is to be used until 2030, by which point DeSantis will be gone.

Basically, Disney will remain a force in Florida longer than DeSantis and his allies will, as we all expected.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Is it just me or does this look like a giant weed nug?

Sir, this is a Christian state where 'woke' goes to die.

Only the Californian one looks like that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The general impression I picked up at Disneyland is that salaried office-building types know that restoring the submarine ride 18 years ago (!!!!) was a mistake, and they should have just torn down everything but the monorail pylons and completely redesigned that area after Rocket Rods failed in 2001.

It's a consequence of not having any long term vision, because in 2005 there would have been no budget to do that, and Matt Ouimet's administration getting the money from corporate to redo the subs along with striking the Honda deal to connect/redo Autopia was considered a big overhaul for Disneyland's 50th celebration. The bigger problem is that the 9/11 tourism recession and the housing crisis was almost 20 years ago and the park keeps choosing to build new construction on expansion soil (backstage areas, parking lots, etc) rather than making better use of 50+ year old spaces, which is pretty wild when raw space is what Disney Anaheim is always trying to contend with.

Owing to inflation, iirc the Nemo redo of Submarine Voyage finally broke Spaceship Earth's long-standing record of most expensive Disney attraction until Pandora.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 2, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I doubt the problem is earthquakes, but more likely to be CalOSHA and the lack of an RCID to let Disney more or less make up it's own codes, which is why Anaheim now has an extra cusp on the top of Space Mountain that it's twin in Tokyo nor the one in Orlando share (before and after, it's extra supports for the guys cleaning the dome). Without knowing anything about how they maintain the Pandora facade, I couldn't say anything further.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 2, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Aphrodite posted:

They're going to build Water Avatar land there about 6 years after the movie.

The sequel made a billion dollars two years ago.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CapnAndy posted:

Going retro-future with it was supposed to fix the problem, but it didn't help at all; with its curved lines, rivet holes, and coloring, Tomorrowland looks like a very '90s retro-future.

I really don't think there's any fix to the inherent problem that tomorrow will always become today and today will, in turn, always become yesterday. Just bite the bullet and start budgeting for a total overhaul every 15-20 years.

I would say that until recently Epcot was an extremely 80s future that I almost forgot seeing everywhere first hand in that era, and it was so well kept up that it was awesome.

Tomorrowland already had it with the 1960s Googie bottle nose rocket ship future, they just needed to maintain it through the "ugh so passe" phase to the point where people actually miss it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 4, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Upsidads posted:

why the gently caress is enchanto goint to AK instead of MK - Put zooptipia in AK fools!

Joe Rohde was vocally against it since it just uses animals as parallels for segments of humanity rather than as themselves. Obviously the animals of the Lion King are playing Hamlet, but they still live like animals in the African plains instead of lining up at Not-Starbucks.

I think we should call this the Shrek Threshold.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 4, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

3/10, despite good acting I could not overcome the camera being completely dark for nearly its total run length.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
When they filmed Episode I's scenes on Tattooione, they also filmed scenes for Episode II and III so that they wouldn't have to return to the same desert in years to come.

Likewise, the middle segment of Space Mountain will be co-filmed with an eventual Peoplemover film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm not a Mission Space fan, but Epcot already has so much wasted space that demolishing a functional ride because you personally don't care for it is overkill. We're talking about the park that avoided redoing the health pavilion, what, twice now? Odyssey's run as a preview center amid the pandemic was the first real use of that space in at least 20 years.